Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 5: Fight!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Chapter 5: Fight!  

Chapter 5: Fight!

Caution and frustration battle within me, then the blooming of an idea causes them to curl up together. That might work! I close my eyes to concentrate. Hastily I maintain the illusion with a frantic right-hand gesture and I improvise a normally two-handed gesture with my left. The image comes easily to mind and I cast it out with a tiny mental nudge.

The stranger's feet sweep out from the ground, somersaulting him on the spot and casting him painfully to the floor. I wince at the force as he hits the ground; it hadn't meant to be that powerful.

With a shock I realise my illusion is wavering, but it holds at the last second. Had anyone noticed? I quickly look over the crowd. The stranger had caused several of them to fall back, and also caught Jarad's attention, but no one is paying attention to me. Jarad can’t get near because of the number of people, so he does the best thing he can. I feel the litter rise higher and then suddenly we are moving...quickly. He must have been forcibly pushing people out the way to get through the crowd like this. I catch one last glimpse of the stranger as the crowd haul him to his feet and then he’s lost.

On we go and I make it into the tunnelled entranceway that leads straight to the arena. A brief pause and then we are through the gates, and now the crowds are gone. It’s still busy though. Many mages are walking around, some doing minor practice work, whilst others meditate. Officials from the Lyceum scurry around, scrolls piled in their arms as they go about the task of organising such a huge event. Now I was about to go upset that organisation by appearing for a fight I registered late to, and pulled out of - all in a couple of days. It may irritate the organisers, but the crowd would love it. At least I hoped so.

A jolt announces our arrival and a senior organiser appears by the side of my litter within seconds. Jarad is faster.

"Good morning, Mr...Jarad, you will be here on behalf of Contestant Gorin?"

"That's correct."

The official nods to himself and looks down at a piece of paper in his hands.

"I understand he has been injured and therefore will not be available for his fight with Gregoh this morning."

Jarad lets out a hearty laugh, and slaps the official on the shoulder.

"No, you have it all wrong my friend. There's nothing wrong with ol' Gorin. Why he's right here..."

Grasping the man’s hand and vigorously shaking it, he carefully leaves a small bag of gold behind as he lets go. He then turns around and gestures toward the litter.

On cue I stand up, stretch, and walk over. Just as I get close to the official I release the illusion of me lying injured in the litter. To his eyes I vanish and appear in front of him. With a smile I hold out a hand in greeting.

"Good morning to you, there's no problem with my fight is there?"

Utterly perplexed the official blinks several times and then swallows hard. Impressively he still manages to sound in control as he replies.

"No, Sir, er Gorin. You are right on time for your first fight this morning. If you could make your way into the chamber over there the fight will commence in approximately thirty minutes."

Gratefully I leave his company and follow Jarad into the chamber. As we walk Jarad whispers hastily in my ear.

"What was that all about just before the entrance? What happened in the crowd?"

"I'll tell you later," I whisper back.

Gregoh was waiting there already.

Unusually for a mage he was a large bull of a man. He took pride in being able to hurt with or without magic. His skill with magic was the same as him - hard hitting but usually effective. Thankfully he was a law abiding citizen and kept this reputation strictly to tournaments only. Outside of competitions he was gruff but friendly enough.

He sat now in full combat robes not too different from my own. Dark purple in colour, with silver links, it makes him seem large and ominous. In contrary to this image, his eyes are closed and his face peaceful as he meditated. As we approach his eyes open and he smiles.

"Gorin, yer showed up, and there ay' was thinking yer didn't have the balls to turn up. What was it, yer set light to yer eyebrows whilst trying to light a candle."

His banter makes me grin and my heart begins to race as the expectant excitement of fighting rushes through my veins. It was soon now, how I loved the show.

"No actually it was an attack. Quite vicious really... a medium force light spell caught in a package encircled in a most potent curiosity charm, tied round a brick and thrown through my window. Although I'm sure a brick in the face would only have improved your looks Gregoh."

With some satisfaction I see a tiny look of surprise sweep across his face, but it’s fleeting.

"Bah, yer and yer stories. No doubt yer poxy illusions would mean yer have 'undreds who'd be able to call witness to this. Get over there until the fight, you're distubin' me meditatin'."

With Jarad scowling I walk over to the other side of the room and sit down.

"You are going to wring him out I hope."

I let out a low laugh. "So you want him wringing before I hang him out to dry!"

Jarad laughs as well.

"He needs someone to sort him out..." disturbin' me meditatin' " - the only thing he ever meditates on is what to have for lunch."

I laugh again.

"Despite that though Jarad, he is a competent mage and a very quick learner. He's fought me before and he'll have prepared for my old tricks."

"Hahar, but not your new ones."

~

The time passes surprisingly quickly. With a few minutes to go, and my opponent still meditating, I go through my own mental preparation. I flit through all the offensive spells I have memorised, focusing more on my newer spells. I wonder briefly what surprises I could expect from Gregoh. Happy that I am as prepared as I can be I stand up ready to go. As I get up Jarad disappears back out the door.

Standing near the doorway that leads outside I can clearly hear the rumble of noise as the crowd milled around, some in their seats, others enjoying last minute gossip. Minutes later the booming voice of the announcer echoes around the arena.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, contestants and spectators alike, on this most magnificent day I welcome you all to the Glorious City of Vlusos…”

A thumping cheer erupts from the crowd.

“Here we all wait expectantly, in this fantastic arena, for our first fight of the day.”

More cheering and shouting, the crowd is well worked up.

“Rumour and speculation has been rampant, but I can confirm for you now. Contestant number 1 is a hard hitting, mean, machine...he is GREGOH....”

The instant his name is called Gregoh rises smoothly to his feet and walks past me without even a glance. He disappears through the haze of sunshine, amid a crowd that are stomping their feet in anticipation. The speaker talks to Gregoh briefly but I can’t hear over the sound of the crowd.

I turn as Jarad enters the room again, distracting me from the arena. Behind him are four men carrying the litter. They set it down next to me and I climb back in and lay down. Closing my eyes I established a similar, albeit simpler, disguise of injury around myself and then gesture to Jarad that I’m ready. We wait for a few seconds and then I hear it.

“And Contestant number 2 is stylised the Master of Illusion and Light...he is GORIN…”

Out we go, Jarad at the front. The crowd’s cheers rise once again, but then die as they see my procession. A confused murmur echoes around the arena. Jarad arrives at my place and motions for the litter to be lowered. It touches the ground gently and with a curt nod from Jarad the bearers immediately turn around and walk straight out. Jarad winks at me, smiles, and follows them out.

Immediately discarding the illusion I throw my left hand into the air weaving invisibility around the litter. My right hand swings in wide to join my left, and then stabs upwards. A plume of white light rises up, obliterating me and the litter from view. I immediately use the distraction to climb out the litter and quickly kick out the pre-arranged pins that hold the litter together. I stomp it down so that it lies flat to the ground and I stand up straight. Putting my arms out wide I let the light drop.

The crowd comes back into view and I smile.

Looking around I’m awe-struck. Never would I get used to an event like this. The crowd surrounds me, only slightly hazy behind the shimmering shield that would protect them from any stray spells. The noise reverberates around the arean and my heart pounds. It was time for the real show to begin.

An official stood in the middle, behind him, about 50 paces away, was my opponent. He stood quite still, and seemed oblivious to the crowd. It was hard to tell, but he appeared to be meditating again.

"CONTESTANTS, IT'S LAST ONE STANDING, BE INVENTIVE.......AND FIGHT"

Gregoh reacts instantly, a pale, glowing shield appearing around him. I mimic with a quick illusion shield, buying me the time to get in a first attack. I send him what he is expecting, a wide ranging arc of fierce light projectiles, some real, some illusion; my arms flying up and down in the complicated gesture. The real ones swerve in and bounce off his shield with a slight hiss, he looks on at the fake ones with a sneer. He was a warrior, and did things with force. I was expecting nothing less from him in magic. Smash and kill.

Without warning his arms thrust forward, and his left foot stamps hard on the earth, the foot finishing with only the toe touching the dusty ground. A huge angry ball of tumbling flame swoops down on to me, crashing against a hasty shield of air, burning its way through.

Annoyed at myself for watching my first attack and not preparing a better shield I reinforce my defence with a dramatic shield of light that I angrily shape like a dragon’s head. Scooping up the fireball in the giant maw, it swallows the attack and roars to the sky.
The mouth opens once more and from it stab forth two more arcs of the red projectiles, all of them real.

As the dragon's head fades the projectiles thunder into Gregoh's shield, most hissing with the impact. Three land in exactly the same spot, pressuring the shield until the final one burns through, singeing his arm. He stumbles slightly and I use the moment to start my plan. I bring my right palm up and I gesture against it with my left hand as if writing. I trace through the runes quickly, but calmly, feeling more in control again. As Gregoh gains his balance I throw my palm forward and vanish.
Seconds later eight images of myself appear around the arena, myself a ninth, making my way behind him. This wouldn't fool Gregoh for long, I'd done it to him before to my victory. He was certain to have come up with a response. But I needed to know how his thinking had changed and to do that I needed to experience one of his new spells.

As the first image appears Gregoh roars his disgust.

"Bah, pitiful fool, more of yer damn illusions, and of yer face no less. Yer not getting me like this again."

Here it was, the new attack. I cast a strong shield of light around myself; being careful to add the same to the image I was holding in my head to maintain the illusions.

A thought shoots through my head. What was I doing? This is a tournament where the fights are to the death. And I was playing tricks to annoy him. How complacent and how arrogant can you get!

Panic or sanity overtakes my thoughts. I wasn't about to stand there and wait for whatever he was about to do. Thinking carefully, I bring my palm up again and gesture furiously against it. I raise my arms and send out a confusing pattern of light and colour. Each of the replicas does the same surrounding Gregoh in a fast encroaching blinding haze.

But Gregoh hadn't been standing still, and with horror I see him throw his palm forward in a similar way I release a spell. A concussion ripples out from him in an expanding circle. As it hits the first replica, the colour sparks hit Gregoh. Gregoh falls to the floor clutching his eyes and the illusion is smashed and disintegrates. An unpleasant thought tell me it'd do the same to the real thing, me!

It slams into my shield, like a force I'd never felt before. The concussion passes over me smashing the last of my illusions, yet still the force hammers my shield, almost as if the spell had just been coated over my shield as it went by. A shock vibration shakes me, and I feel a breach being forced. Barely a second passes before I reinforce it, but a tiny shot flies through the infinitesimal hole, buzzing, and bouncing around me. I try to catch it in a small shield but it evades and I revert back to maintaining the light shield. A sharp pain erupts in my head and I clutch my ear. Blood trickles down. I need options and quickly.

As I catch up with reinforcing the shield, ignoring my wounded ear, I try to take stock. I hadn't done much and still had plenty of energy left. Now the shield was cast I can't make it stronger without recasting it. All I can do with it is continue to reinforce any breaches. Ideas flow through my head, most impossible, or improbable at best. Could I shape my shield to part the attack in someway? Or attack the force with a light force of my own? I don’t have long before Gregoh recovers from the blinding spell and then he'll be quick to reinforce the attack.

What should I do?
---------------------------------------------------------

OK Team. This is it. The big one. Our first fight.

As you can see complacency has gotten us into trouble. Injury in the first round is quite embarrassing enough, so lets see if we can prevent any more happening. Gorin has plenty of power, but no ideas against this new kind of attack. He hasn't got any time for experimentation either. He needs to hit back hard and now.

Lets do that...

*Pictures from here, and here and here, and here. Some altered from artist's original. Only give an idea and don't match the story that well :)

Key

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:  

If we try to fight force with force, we're playing on his turf and we'll lose. We should do something subtle and tricky. Maybe we fly high above him, or maybe we do an illusion that we're dead and he's won the fight.
Hyperion

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject:  

What about an invisibility+teleport spell? He could move anywhere, prepare his attack, then fire... drains a bit of energy, but it would only take one well-placed shot...
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:  

Gregoh's eyes are hurt, i say we go after them and blind him, then things will become much easier.
Idea master

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:  

True, that, a blind person can't see to cast spells.
Put him in an Illusion Hell, or the equivlant thereof. The time he spends dismantling your spell is time you've gained for doing something along the lines of blinding him. And he may not doubt it...MAY not. After all, it will look like hell.
Smee

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:  

Some excellent ideas :D

Moving through them:

Key wrote: If we try to fight force with force, we're playing on his turf and we'll lose. We should do something subtle and tricky. Maybe we fly high above him, or maybe we do an illusion that we're dead and he's won the fight.

Flying is beyond Gorin, although an illusion of flying isn't a problem.

An illusion of death could work, but if he lets go of his shield protecting him from Gregoh's attack, then he will be dead. That'll only work once we've managed to shake off this attack.

Hyperion wrote: What about an invisibility+teleport spell? He could move anywhere, prepare his attack, then fire... drains a bit of energy, but it would only take one well-placed shot...

Invisibility can obviously be done, but not teleportation. Being invisible won't get us out of this strange attack though.

Muaddib wrote: Gregoh's eyes are hurt, i say we go after them and blind him, then things will become much easier.

A good idea to follow up the blind attack, with yet another attack on the eyes. Any ideas, as he will block another attempt at the colour-flash.

But we still need to get out of this attack. :shock:

Idea Master wrote: True, that, a blind person can't see to cast spells.
Put him in an Illusion Hell, or the equivlant thereof. The time he spends dismantling your spell is time you've gained for doing something along the lines of blinding him. And he may not doubt it...MAY not. After all, it will look like hell.

An illusion hell is a very good idea. It would really test Gorin's power. To create an entire reality that would be percieved by Gregoh would be one possibility. But how about really showing off, and filling the arena (up to the shield limits) with this illusion that the crowd can see as well.

But we still need to do something about this attack that has already injured us, and could still kill us if a big enough breach suddenly appears.

Keep thinking people. :D
Muaddib

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject:  

Can you reflect the attack somehow? Or try acting hurt...the when he comes to finsh us off, WHAM!!!!!!
Key

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:  

How about going underground? If this shock wave or whatever it is is at ground level, we might be able to escape it by burrowing down.
Smee

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:  

It might be a risky move. I don't know how the judges would react.

To tunnel down (and then presumably up again somewhere else) is a massive altering of the arena. I'm not sure if the crowd protecting shield continues below the arena floor. If something went wrong with the spell, it could harm the crowd.

Plus Gorin isn't strong in Earth magics - it would be improvised and dangerous.

Of course it's an option, and combined with leaving the shield inplace and an illusion of Gorin trapped inside - could be a very viable tactic for catching Gregoh unawares.
Muaddib

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject:  

If you can't go down, go up. We've done it before remember.
Smee

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:  

You can go down, just has risks.

Certainly could go up as well - as before, we would be supported on an illusion.

I would just hope Gregoh doesn't destroy the illusion in the same way he destroyed the replica illusions.

It'd be a nasty fall. :shock:

It's a fight to the death - there isn't going to be an option without risk. We just need to find the option with the least risk.
Key

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:  

Least risk? Ha! What kind of talk is that for the Master of Illusion and Light?

I think tunneling down and winning through a controversial alteration of the arena would really give the crowd a show and would put our name in the headlines for days.

Which is what it's all about, isn't it? ;)
Smee

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:  

That's why I said it's still an option. :D

I'll put a poll up over the weekend. Anymore ideas folks? :)
Smee

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject:  

Poll's up guys.

I added a couple of other options to make it a bigger decision.

All of them are risky.

Also, I'm still interested in ideas for how the rest of the battle goes.

Happy Voting. :D
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:  

Chose to go down
Smee

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject:  

Powers, Sparta and Phang where are you?

I have our first fight chapter, get all excited about posting it, and if it wasn't for Muaddib and the arrival of Key - barely any comments would have been made. :shock:

Some good ideas from Muaddib & Idea Master about what to do after we get out the trap but the poll has only one idea from Key - and the rest I had to make up myself. :shock:

Come on - you are regular members of the site, and team Gorin needs you. :(
Hyperion

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject:  

I meant something like if you are invisible and it is a concentrated attack, the spell might dissapate... depends on the way the spell is cast.
Phang

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Powers, Sparta and Phang where are you?

I have our first fight chapter, get all excited about posting it, and if it wasn't for Muaddib and the arrival of Key - barely any comments would have been made. :shock:

Some good ideas from Muaddib & Idea Master about what to do after we get out the trap but the poll has only one idea from Key - and the rest I had to make up myself. :shock:

I read it and got confused... :( seriously.
The Powers That Be

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Powers, Sparta and Phang where are you?

"I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD." -- Jake Blues

The real reason I haven't read or responded yet is, well, rather embarrassing and related to the fact that the Chapter 5 forum didn't appear right above the Chapter 4 forum as I expected. I'll read, respond and vote tonight. Sorry!
Hyperion

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry, let me clarify. I was a bit... out of sorts at the time.If his opponent is concentrating on Gorin himself, if he turns invisible, the attack may stop. He might decide to use another spell(the opponent) but as long as Gorin doesn't attack, he should have enough time to strike with the previously mentioned blind spell. An illusion Hell, although spectacular, would take far too many resources from him which he could use for(don't forget!) THE FOLLOWING BOUTS.
The Powers That Be

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, good stuff.

I love the idea of burrowing down and away. Can I resurface, invisibly, right behind him?
Smee

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:  

Hyperion - I'm still not seeing invisbility as a good idea.

Gregoh is currently rolling around on the floor in pain from the blind spell - he's not watching Gorin.

Gorin is trapped within his shield, surrounded by the effect of Gregoh's new spell that is hammering on the shield without direction from Gregoh.

Once Gregoh manages to stand up he will see what's going on and do something nasty to reinforce the attack so it's too much for the shield.

Gorin needs to react before that happens - but because he doesn't know what it is hammering his shield he doesn't know what is the best thing to do.

If he just turns invisible, Gregoh will still know where he is by the shield.

He could try turning the whole thing invisible - but if it doesn't work he'll have wasted his time when he could be doing something else.

The digging idea - as mentioned before, is very risky. Earth magics aren't Gorin specialty - so I doubt it will be a very neat process, but it might work.

Hope this helps. :)
Hyperion

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject:  

Hmm... Make an area of effect invisibility spell. Takes a bit out of you, but it is better than tunneling...(earth having inherent darkness qualities underground and there isn't much that is less illusion-like than dirt.) I wasn't paying attention. If the blind spell is cast, try something attacking his mind directly to dispel the strike. Master of Illusion eh... Do I detect a harsh and barren childhood Gregoh? Care to revisit it? In the middle of a battle? No? NO ONE CARES.
Smee

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:  

I should add as well :

You mentioned saving power for the next bouts.

Whilst completely draining himself can be dangerous, the only real risk is of over exerting and fainting - thus being kicked out the tournament.

However, there is a few days between each fight so he will have chance to recover.

Which means he can go pretty much to his limit in each fight.
The Powers That Be

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject:  

Another idea. Just turn the shield invisible. It will appear that it's failed, and then Gorin collapses to the floor.
Smee

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:  

That's a possibility.

If any one wants to change their vote, then post.
Hyperion

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject:  

Powers stole my unclarified idea... maybe you should recap on the tourney rules before each chapter... Would stop ME looking like an idiot... :lol:
The Powers That Be

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject:  

Hyperion wrote: Powers stole my unclarified idea... maybe you should recap on the tourney rules before each chapter... Would stop ME looking like an idiot... :lol:

"Stole"? No no, Hyperion - we're all teammates here. I "shamelessly leveraged" your brilliant idea and tweaked it a bit. In the end, it will all be Team Gorin's idea, anyway.
Smee

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject:  

Poll Closed:

It looks like we are going to attempt to dig down.

Look for the next chapter soon.

Happy Reading. :)
Hyperion

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject:  

Ugh. I wish I was a fish right now, yes sir, a fish. :p
Hyperion

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm... I hope the next chapter is REALLY GOOD...
Smee

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:  

Plotting began yesterday in our secret authors Plot Spot. :)
Hyperion

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:  

GRRRR. I'll become a mod if it's the last thing I do before my soul is cast into the Abyss for all eternity and my bones rot to dust! Surely if I deleted some of my linear story and left you people hanging I would get a forum... :P
Smee

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject:  

Quote: I mock-growled at that. {Impugn not my stub, cur, or I'll see that ye've nae more than I in th

From what's there at the moment you have left us hanging :lol:
Hyperion

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject:  

That's what you get for reading my stories half-way through construction. Y'know, that sounds REALLY DISTURBING... it is nice, generally, not to confuse little ears. :lol:
Smee

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:  

New Chapter is up. :D

I'm locking this thread.

Thanks for your contributions.

Happy Reading. :)

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
Page 1 of 1