Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 2: Philosophy
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Chapter 2: Philosophy  

The second chapter of the featured storygame "The Machine's Daughter" has been posted:

Chapter 2: Philosophy

Discussion and voting are complete for Chapter 2.

For more about the storygame, see the New Players Start Here topic in this forum.
Smee

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject:  

A great fast-forwarding of years there, showing nicely her progress through the course.

Despite the pace it was very smooth to read, excellent. :D

As I understand it she now has two offers of placements - One in Nugoz, a more animal biased placement, or a fairly prestigious School in the Capital.

I guess she could also seek out Peran, and see if he has any comments on her future now that she has finished her education. I'm sure that'll open another option.

I'll come back with my thoughts once others have posted.

Happy Writing. :)
saxon215

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject:  

if i were her i'd give it a 50/50 chance and flip a coin or something, but im never very good at major decision
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject:  

Very compelling second chapter :cool:

I agree with Smee that she might be tempted to ask Peran for his advice. I'm not sure she would be inclined to take it, though, once she had asked for it. Her feelings towards the satyr seem complex and ambivalent, and she would be just as likely to draw him closer and push him away in the same heartbeat.

Philosophy seems to have been a good choice for her, but she has nothing further to prove now that she has reached the age of eighteen. Her choices are her own to make, and neither the pride of her tutor or that of her family should need to be the primary focus any more.

Maybe it's time for her to decide on a field of study that will serve her own needs. She is different and her primary questions have yet to be answered. I think Nugoz is the best course for her, despite its lack of prestige.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject:  

I keep asking myself, was that really six years of her life explained in one chapter?

I agree with Stoat. Pilla has learned all she could in Philosophy. I don't there is anything more she can study in the field. When we were discussing the decision point for the first chapter, I suggested she combine the tracks. Pilla is still interested about her origin as much as she is probably capable to go to the head institute, I don't think she will get much out of it. It is time she got out into someplace new among the Animals. She has avoided them for too long.

She may be inclined to go to Peran, but I don't think she will follow what he suggests. It took her awhile to accept his gift. But I guess it won't hurt.
NatashaGMT

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Chapter 2  

Interesting sugestion to ask for advice. however, I dont think she would need to actualy Ask. The Satyr in question has been presenting her with a cake each year. So chances are he will do so again now. As she is now moving out of her learning track, chances are there will be some discusion between them about her future.

Choices...

Take the remote position...

Take the prestigous position...

I think she should delay making ANY choice for the moment. Let things progress for a day before reassesing that choice with possably more options.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:  

i agree, she should delay as long as she can before deciding, but at the moment i think she would chose the prestigious school
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject:  

I go for the school.

The story is okay, but I guess it is still warming up. It isn't stirring me at the moment. Maybe it just isn't my cup of Gungle juice.
saxon215

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject:  

chinarens bin hittin the gungle juice now that its christmass, pretty soon his posts will have worse spoelling and grammer then mine and will insult more people randomly then BSthegreat
Shogun

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:  

tHE sCHOOL!
jnmrcs

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:  

She must go to the Nugoz one. Until she finds her answer to his difference that will continue on her life...
Key

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:  

OK, so far we've got:

- Accept the Educator position at Nugoz
- Accept the more prestigious position at the Head Institute
- Delay making a decision until you speak to Peran

Anything else? I'll keep taking suggestions until tomorrow. Remember that once you turn 18, you are free to do as you choose.
Publis_Varris

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:  

Well getting back to it, you can never stop learning more about philosiphy, purhaps that she is more inclinde to she should go to the school but i also think that learning more about the "creatures" would be more benaficial.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject:  

She's all growed up...it happens so quickly. *sniff*

She feels accomplished now, or at least accomplished enough. She's proven her mind is sharp and that she is capable, yet in some ways feels that she is still treated differently, like an animal. She'll speak to Peran, simply because of the small comfort he's provided and the tiny secret they've shared. Although I doubt what he says will make much impact on her decision. I'd imagine she'd be curious about how he'd answer a question such as 'How have you felt living away from other animals all this time?'

She's ready now to strike off and find her own answers. She'd be in a better position to do this from Nugoz, although I could see her turning down both positions offered her and shaping her own future.
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:  

She really needs to be around animals. I mean, she nearly killed herself because of puberty, what next?
I say she should go to Nugoz.
Smee

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:  

I've re-read the chapter.

A quick little oddity that I thought of - in the last 6 years has Peran grasp of the Zigot language not improved. :?

I agree with Fauna's summary of her own beliefs in her abilities - she knows she's smart and that her mind is sharp. She will seek out Peran.

However, I don't see her being convinced enough of an idea to strike out on her own yet unless her talk with Peran includes somthing like "have you ever seen a being that looks like me?".

If a positive answer is given then I see that as being reason enough to carve her own path seeking out humans, but otherwise I only see her curiosity taking her as far as accepting the Nugoz option.

Another possibility is talking with her parent-set. Now that she is of age they may have something to tell her that they held back until now. Maybe they know something of her birth. A frank discussion could provide another path she might take. How have they discovered oils that help with human joints? How have they cured whatever childhood diseases she's had? This knowledge couldn't of all come from the Satyr surely?

One final option is ignoring the doubts and following her own path of investigation regarding the ancient text detailing the beginning of the Zigot race. It hints that they began as products of animals and this could be a big enough draw on her to find out some important answers. Where she might go to do this I don't know but presumably she would know of a library or institution she could approach to learn more.

Happy Writing. :)
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:  

If she heard tale of others born like her, and that these others were regarded as possessing the image of the Makers, then I'm sure her philosophical mind would want to seek information about that out. Old texts or speaking with Peran might present this knowledge, which I believe at this point is completely unknown to her. Would be interesting to see her reaction, although speculating on it at this point doesn't really suggest what she might decide next.
Key

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up and will run until Thursday night.

ASWS*, Happy voting! :D

*As Smee would say
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject:  

voted

and winning
Muaddib

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject:  

Chose the first option because of the reasons I mentioned above.

On another note, my friend's name is Peran as well... :shock:
Key

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:  

Poll has closed. The choice is to speak to Peran.

Chapter 3 will be up Saturday night (California time).
Shogun

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:  

Sweet.
Key

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject:  

Locking this chapter, now that Chapter 3 is up.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter
Page 1 of 1