Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 6: Finishing the job.
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Chapter 6: Finishing the job.  

Chapter 6: Finishing the job.

An idea leapt into my mind. It was desperate, and would likely use most of my power, but I was annoyed at the idea Gregoh might win this, and annoyed at myself for arrogantly tempting this response from him. I wanted to strike out and end this even if it all but drained me. I'd have plenty of time to recharge before my next fight in a few days.

It was complicated though. I was still plugging the gaps in the shield as his force continued to batter its way through. First the easy task - a simple illusion apeared showing nothing but me knelt down looking in terror at the force around me. Unobserved I could now begin the hard part. Drawing on a large part of my power I focused it carefully with a right-handed gesture. I cast it downwards and watched it twist it's way into the arena floor. Within seconds the ground broke down into softer sand and my feet sank a few inches.

A faint gap appeared in the force and I saw that Gregoh was looking up at his creation with a smile as he climbed to his feet. I didn't have more than a few seconds longer. Frantically I put more power into the spell and felt myself sink to my knees almost immediately.

Another gap and I saw him on his feet and walking slowly over. I couldn't feel any difference in the attack so he hadn't reinforced it. His face was a superior smirk. Fantastic, he was gloating and thought me defeated. I had a little more time.

My waist summerged, then upto my arm pits. It happened a little too fast and I almost fell over. Another small part of Gregoh's attack flew through a gap and buzzed angrily around the shield. I plugged the hole and snuffed out the force, it narrowly avoiding me only because I was almost completely below ground.

Before my arms were covered I cast another spell down and the sand parted around me, turning the quicksand like hole into a tunnel. I crouched down and my head disappeared from the surface. I was now working blind to what Gregoh was doing and the distance was making the shield infinately harder to patch up. Wasting no more time I stopped the spell digging downwards and directed it sideways instead. Less than a minute later it had buried through the soft sand a good fifteen feet or so. It was time.

As I moved down the tunnel I stopped reinforcing the shield, and almost immediately felt it breached in a dozen places. I manipulated the illusion of myself to appear to cast a spell making sand billow around, obscuring my 'death' from Gregoh. In complete darkness and the narrow confines of the tunnel a faint sob escaped my lips unbidden. For a master of light this wasn't a nice place to be.

Suddenly anger welled up inside me. Why was I crouching down here like some lost child. Gregoh wouldn't know what hit him.

The illusion of my body covered the entrance to the hole, so hopefully it couldn't be seen. Knowing I had only a few seconds before Gregoh would inspect my 'body' and announced me dead I closed my eyes and prepared for my launch back to the surface.

~-~

"Ha, I got ya this time Gorin. Where's your poxy illusions now hey!"

Hardly believing his luck Gregoh approached Gorin's body. The crowd had gone silent awaiting the announcement that the match was over. Some muttered amongst themselves at the quick defeat of one of the tournament regulars.

Gregoh approached the slightly steaming body with satisfaction, although still blinking heavily from the after effects of the flash spell. Looking down he saw the bruised face still trapped in an expression of desperation trying to protect itself from his attack.

But it hadn't worked. Gregoh had worked long and hard on the spell. Destroying illusions was but a mere part of it. Draping it over a shield had taking months of practice and alterations. And the death of his brother in a testing accident. He didn't doubt it's success.

The announcers voice echoed across the arena.

"AND THE WINNER IS GRE........."

~-~

I heard the cue I was waiting for. The announcers voice boomed through the earth, easily heard despite my location. Before the second word had been spoken I released my prepared spell. The force of such a lot of my power leaving me so suddenly made my mind spin and for a few seconds I had no idea if it had worked.

~-~

BOOM

The arena shook, and the crowd's shock quickly drowned out the announcer. Gregoh stumbled back and looked about frantically. Seeing nothing his eyes were immediately drawn to his enemies body again.

It was gone.

In it's place a fairly large hole, a bright red light erupting from it. As he watched, the ground around the hole changed from the light sand to a hard black rock. It expanded out in a ring quickly covering all the arena with the same. An explosion behind him made Gregoh leap around as a huge geyser of flame sprang from the ground a few feet away. Suddenly there were similar geysers everywhere, huge columns of fire scorching the air, and making his vision waver.

A black cloud appeared overhead, crackling with lightning ominiously.

A bolt shot down, landing in the hole near his feet. Then another near where the first geyser was still burning. More and more shot down, and where it struck the black rock a bubbling mix of lava oozed out. His brain finally beginning to function, but only barely, Gregoh quickly backed away from the burning liquid, but had to stop when another bolt of lightning landed behind him. Frantically he flung himself sideways, landing in a confused heap.

He made it to his feet again, but then a huge crack rended the air about him. He looked up, and he saw a huge jagged line running across the main column supporting the shield protecting the crowd. Bits of rock and rubble fell down, some smashing into the geysers, other parts quickly melting in the lava bubbling in many more places.

The crowd's cries became screams as they suddenly felt threatened themselves.

Gregoh raised his hands to cast a spell when suddenly he fell forwards.

The whole arena was lost in a huge flash of white light.

~-~

The first bolt of lightning brought my senses back and I quickly saw my illusion was well underway. I was out the tunnel, having all but exploded myself out to get to the surface as quickly as I could. As soon as I had broken through the surface my illusion could work and hide me from view. For a fraction of a second I would have been visible to all, but I had relied on my illusioned body holding Gregoh's attention for that time.

It seemed to have work as I watched him throw himself sideways to avoid the lava. Wrapped in a streaming flow of light making me invisible I quickly crossed the arena and positioned myself behind him. As the arena defences seemed to break and the crowd began to scream I hit Gregoh in the back of the head with a stun spell pitching him forward.

As his face touched the ground I released the huge illusion with a flash of light. I positioned myself with one foot on the unconscious form in front of me, and a big smile on my face.

The first shocked faces in the crowd, saftely behind the arena shield, emerged into view. The announcers voice boomed around the arena.

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT... GORIN IS THE WINNER !"

--------------------------------

Ok - massive apologies for the delay. Christmas and my new storygame have proven to be massive distractions.

Anyway - to make up for it you're getting a two part chapter. This part sees the conclusion of Gorin's first battle.

The aftermath and decision point will come some time soon.

I hope you enjoyed. :)

pic
Idea master

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:  

Congratulations! I like to see you liked Illusion Hell so much that you put it in! *Pats self on back minorly* Great chapter, Smee, eh wot, and all that jazz. Looking forward to the next one, old bean!
*Goes back to rum*
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject:  

JYESSSS!
WE WON!
sparta12

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject:  

WOOOOO!
We Won!

Nice writing smee :D
Smee

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Chapter 6 : Finishing the Job Part 2  

Chapter 6 : Finishing the Job Part 2

Still a little disorientated from the amount of power I had released I wobbled slightly as I soaked up the crowds cheers with closed eyes.

A movement beneath my foot made me look down to see Gregoh coming round. Hastily I removed my foot and helped him up.

"W..Ww...What happened," he moaned, clutching his abused head. His eyes reclaimed focus and he looked about at the restored arena, beautiful in the morning sun.

Suddenly he burst out laughing. "Bah Gorin, yer flamin' illusions get me again but yer should have finished me off this time. Next time we fight I'll get yer and yer won't wake up from it."

Laughing as well I grasped his proffered hand and shook it warmly. "Gregoh, you big ox, I look forward to it."

Officials were already running in, pushing extra dirt into the hole I'd created and otherwise cleaning the arena ready for the next fight. The crowd were still cheering and I waved back at them as Gregoh and I walked to the exit.

A darkness robbed me of vision as we passed from the bright arena into the gloom of the waiting rooms. With a final goodbye to Gregoh I turned to find an agitated Jarad awaiting me, surrounded by a team of healers. Waving away his protests and the healers arms I made my way through and back out into the street, Jarad's strained voice following close behind.

"Come on Gorin, you can hardly say that was to plan!"

"You're right old friend, but it worked and the crowd loved it. That's all that matters right now. So what now?"

Jarad smiled and whispered a quiet prayer for strength.

"You don't change do you. I would say back to your room for rest after that performance, but I know you'll never let me hear the end of it if I didn't tell us that our mystery Jomakar is fighting next."

"Yahoo?"

"Yes."

The decision was made instantly and I made my way to the busy entrance. Once there Jarad took the lead and led me to the seats he'd reserved for the whole tournament.

"They're pretty good, I could see every part of the fight, including your dead body, " he added with a glare.

The arena was full, and the crowd excited. A few noticed me and pointed as I walked but most were anxiously looking for signs of the next contestants. We made it to our seats and settled down as an official ran on clutching signs under his arm. As the first contestant walked on he quickly began replacing mine and Gregoh's names with the new contestants. I didn't recognise him.

"Is that him," I whispered to Jarad.

"No."

The second contestant walked in and laughs rose up. I studied him and soon discovered why. A bright yellow shirt clashed painfully with a striking pair of red trousers as he walked confidently into place.

“OUR TWO NEXT CONTESTANTS MAY NOT BE KNOWN TO YOU YET, BUT BY THE LOOKS OF ONE OF THEM, YOU CAN TELL THEY’RE GOING FOR GREAT THINGS! AND NOW, FOR OUR SECOND BATTLE OF THE DAY, WE BRING TO YOU: HAROLD FARLEE!”

The name wasn't familiar either, although he recieved a smattering of cheers from section of the crowd. I was more intent on the Jomakar.

“AND WHO OTHER TO BATTLE HAROLD THAN…MR. YAHOO?!!”

As soon as the name was called out I remembered it from the report Jarad and Tokes had given a few days ago. This was going to be interesting.

"CONTESTANTS, IT'S LAST ONE STANDING, BE INVENTIVE...AND FIGHT"

It lasted only minutes, Yahoo barely moving throughout the fight until he switched places to avoid the lightning. I stared on impressed at his carefully maintained magical restraint. Not a drop of unrequired power. But how much did he have to call upon if required?

A slight motion to Jarad and we rose to leave as the crowd cheered his victory.

"I need to see Tokes."

Jarad nodded and we made a hasty journey back to the inn. Within a few minutes Jarad had mamanged to track down the young spy.

"Any news," I asked first, before getting down to the important business.

"Yes Sir, Jakeen has entered the tournament. He fights this afternoon."

"Excellent," I replied thinking it through. "I think I'll have to watch that fight as well. See how he's doing. I'm assuming Yahoo has turned down teaching him any more?"

Tokes nodded.

"OK Tokes, don't worry about our young friend for the time being, I want you back watching Yahoo."

He nodded again.

"But I want you to get closer so I'm going to help. Hold still for a moment."

A brief flash of alarm crossed his face, but a glance at Jarad and he controlled his emotions. I placed my hands on his forehead and mentally prepared the gesture. With an effort from my depleated reserves I cast the flow of light around him and he vanished.

"Woah, what just happened. I'm invisible," he finished with a laugh. "This is incredible."

The voice moved positions around the room, and I couldn't help laughing as well.

"It should last for about two hours," I instructed and recieved confirmation of his understanding.

"I'll be off then Sir."

--~--

A few hours later Jarad entered my new room where I'd managed to get some sleep.

"Jakeen's fight is going to start shortly, we should get going if you want to see it."

"Certainly," I agreed as I quickly got ready after my short nap.

We left my room and almost immediately bumped in to Sindor, his wringing hands showing his ever present nerves around me.

"Forgive my disturbing you Sir, but a...a package has arrived for you downstairs. I thought it best not to touch it."

Alarm filled me and we instantly followed the poor landlord down the stairs,

The package he pointed to looked innocent enough. Brown paper tied with string around a soft, bulging item, looking like a folded piece of material. I wasted no time in performing the rune that had alerted me last time but felt nothing. There was no force driving me to open this one!

I glanced at Jarad and his suspicious look told me we hadn't expected delivery of anything.

----------

OK Team. Events are starting to build up. Gorin has already had two attacks, the first more successful, the second in the crowd seemingly desperate.

You know why he would be suspicious, but is it nothing?

-Should he open the package immediately?
-Should he ignore it and go watch Jakeen.
-Should he do something else?

As always, thoughts, ideas, suggestions and complaints all welcome - so long as they are about the story and writing.

For all other problems please see our resident Agony Aunt - Dotty.

Happy discussion. :)
Idea master

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:  

I say he should bring it with him to the fight and mayhap open on the way there. Or at the fight. That way the wards could defuse a potentially explosive situation. As I learned from D&D, just because you don't detect anything doesn't mean something's not there.
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:  

I think he should get the landlord to open it. No, seriously...
DoomBuggy

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject:  

Hi all,

I was thinking. It's too dangerous to open the package himself. Just because he can't spot the trap, it doesn't mean the trap isn't there.

Then I wondered whether he could leave it in a public place and wait to see if anyone picked it up and opened it. If there was anything bad in it, someone else would take the fall and he could blame them for having stolen his property.

If there was anything good in it, he could come forward and claim it, having taken none of the risk himself. I doubt anyone would want to fight with him over it after the big show he's put on in town. Everyone knows Gorin can do great things, and he won his first round in spectacular fashion.

It's all good publicity, whatever happens.
DoomBuggy

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:  

On second thoughts, maybe he should leave it there until after the fight, when he can examine it more thoroughly.

I am in two minds about this. :-o
rlz

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:  

Idea master wrote: I say he should bring it with him to the fight and mayhap open on the way there. Or at the fight. That way the wards could defuse a potentially explosive situation. As I learned from D&D, just because you don't detect anything doesn't mean something's not there.

Exactly what I had in mind.

Hey everyone, I just registered today for Gorin, and I've caught up with you guys. Read all six Chapters in the past hour. This story is really interesting, and Gorin is a great character. I will read each chapter as soon as it comes out from now on.
Smee

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:  

Poll up.

Happy Voting. :)
DoomBuggy

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:  

I don't think he would ask the landlord to open the package. It would make him look weak and Gorin would hate that. He'll open it himself, after watching Jakeen fight.
Smee

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:  

Get your votes in quickly, it'll be closing soon, and I can see names now. :-D
Smee

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:  

Ok the poll is closed.

4 votes is rubbish. :(

Those members that responded to my PM over a week ago - where's your vote? Phang, Sparta?

Save for Idea Master, the only voters are new team members.

*sigh* Very disappointed.

----------------

Well - for you guys that are still bothering to click the vote button, expect a chapter today or tomorrow (so hopefully I can avoid a fine) :D

You voted for waiting until after Jakeen's fight before opening the package.

Thanks for your support and ....

Happy Reading. :)
Smee

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:  

New chapter up - locking this thread.

Thanks for reading. :D

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
Page 1 of 1