Free online storygaming

Chapter 4: The Eichos Grove
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Chapter 4: The Eichos Grove  

The fourth chapter of the featured storygame "The Machine's Daughter" has been posted:

Chapter 4: The Eichos Grove

Discussion and voting is complete for Chapter 4.

For more about the storygame, see the New Players Start Here topic in this forum.
saxon215

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject:  

short, partially sweet and to the point
great chapter enjoyed reading it throopughly, and no thats not just because of the kinky things.

what to do thought? let see, what would i do?
when i was alone i;d try and find where peran went but that could tie in with any other option people suggest, i have absolutely no idea in where to take tis but seeing as the institute is out and she still believes herself to me a slave of logic and reason rather then feeling and emotion she will take the job in the wild.
this story reminds me of the song "i'm open", by pearljam, fits well.
although this chapter reminded me more of sexual healing.
once again great chapter and i;ll see what other poeople think before i suggest anything
i think i got first post again
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject:  

I told everyone so...

Like I said, there was a liberality there, which I don't find normal. But since nothing is absolute, I can't judge anything on the basis of normal-or not normal.

I really have nothing more to say. It was a well written chapter, but I disliked the sex part. Not everyone needs to be impaled by a half goat to undergo self realization.
Smee

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject:  

Indeed a good chapter - and not that short. :shock:

Well I think we can safely conclude she definately learnt some things ;)

But it has cost her.

Quote: Not everyone needs to be impaled by a half goat to undergo self realization.

Of course they don't - but it's all she had.

So now she can only go to Nugoz or follow her own path researching after the watchmaker. She could also try heading towards the Satyr's land in hunt for Gorgos.

I think the combination of some comforting Philosophy but with chance to learn more about animals will make Nugoz an attractive option now.

I await others opinions.

Happy Writing. :)
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Of course they don't - but it's all she had.

I beg to differ. It wouldn't be much of a storygame, if there hadn't been other options.
Smee

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject:  

At this stage in her life, in this situation, there was no one else around that could have offered her the 'self realization' that she got from Peran.

Despite being a half goat, and the reaction she recieved after, she had a great experience that she couldn't have gotten there and then any other way.
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject:  

Quote: At this stage in her life, in this situation, there was no one else around that could have offered her the 'self realization' that she got from Peran.

Despite being a half goat, and the reaction she recieved after, she had a great experience that she couldn't have gotten there and then any other way.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, however your use of phrases of certainty, such as "no one else" and "any other way", imply that you think it is absolute, which it is not.
Smee

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:  

Who else was there?

All around her are made of wood and metal - their act of sex being the construction of a small child of wood and metal and sticking it on the roof.

From the information we have, no other 'animal' was around, and in a position to offer this experience to her.

Please explain how this isn't so rather than these rather aloof high level answers.
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject:  

Quote: All around her are made of wood and metal - their act of sex being the construction of a small child of wood and metal and sticking it on the roof.

From the information we have, no other 'animal' was around, and in a position to offer this experience to her.

I don't understand what sex and self-realization have to do with each other. Are you saying that only by experiencing sex could she have understood more about her purpose and been more sure of herself?

She could have experienced sex later on, perhaps with someone she came to truly love. Physical pleasure was not the only means to her ends.

Quote: Please explain how this isn't so rather than these rather aloof high level answers.

I'm sorry for being impolite :( . I'm a bit frustrated at the complete difference in outlook between every other player of this story and myself. I guess I'll just lobby harder next time.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject:  

A wholly absorbing chapter, as usual :D

On a different note, I'd like to ask a general question about Pilla's knowledge levels.

How much information has she on the geography and other races that surround her? At the moment, I see at least a small possibility of her striking out in a direction independent of her own people - but that would involve knowing of other directions which could be taken, and how dangerous they might be. She wouldn't just march out blindly into the middle of a war zone, for example.

I'll reserve any further opinions until I know more :cool:
saxon215

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject:  

i'k with ddibsy on this one, sorry, muaddib on this one
i can understand where he's comming form and i dont think they normally would have gone that far i think peran was more of a guide then a persuer, earlier on his character is more reserved and adult but later he seems seedier
sorry im babbbling now because my mind is unfocused but im sure you can understand what i mean
Smee

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:  

Quote: I'm sorry for being impolite . I'm a bit frustrated at the complete difference in outlook between every other player of this story and myself. I guess I'll just lobby harder next time.

:D It's good to hear another side Muaddib, but I didn't understand what you were getting at which is why I pushed for reasons.

I'm glad you didn't give up, because now I realise where your coming from.

Now to your point...

Quote: I don't understand what sex and self-realization have to do with each other. Are you saying that only by experiencing sex could she have understood more about her purpose and been more sure of herself?

No - not by only experiencing sex. But for the amount of time it took few things could have awoken as many emotional responses as some alcohol and sex. Most likely not such a big deal for us, but for someone who experieces very few emotional sensations then I believe - yes - it probably was important for any self-realization she has gained.

Quote: She could have experienced sex later on, perhaps with someone she came to truly love. Physical pleasure was not the only means to her ends.

Yes she could, but she didn't go to the meeting intending to have sex. Her intention was only to learn more of her animal nature. Sex happened because Peran wanted it, but it was perhaps the best way 'he' could have taught her about her animal nature in just one evening.
saxon215

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:  

but with alcohol we tend to forget the emotions and feelings we percieve at the time he could how done the same thing with it taking slightly longer to teach her or just given her less alcohol and not tooted her, maybe performed some sexual act that would cause the same pleasure but mean much less within society
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject:  

Quote: No - not by only experiencing sex. But for the amount of time it took few things could have awoken as many emotional responses as some alcohol and sex. Most likely not such a big deal for us, but for someone who experieces very few emotional sensations then I believe - yes - it probably was important for any self-realization she has gained.

Aah yes, but before agreeing to go into the grove, she didn't know about sex and alcohol, or rather their spontaneous effects, as you have pointed out in your next argument. So at that point of time it would have made no difference at all, if she'd rejected his offer.

In fact by the way she cries on understanding her instructor's disappointment, I think it's safe to say she feels more soiled rather than enlivened.
saxon215

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:  

soiled on ddibsy's, sorry Muaddibs, way of saying shat on for those of you playing at home
saxon215

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject:  

truth be told, i just wanbted to say shat on, simple minds simple pleasures
ill go for one more
shat on
hehehe it enever gets old
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject:  

She certainly learned a lot about her animal side, her enjoyment of animal sensations. And the after-effects of too much goatfoot wine. ;) You're disgusted with everything you do when you have a head-throbbing hangover, but once that passes she's not going to have any regrets.

Her tears were the result of disappointing someone she respected, and the unfairness of his reaction. As logical as Pilla is, she'll come to realize that the problem rests with her instructor, and not with her. She's not going to feel that her very nature is degrading, or that she's somehow soiled for experiencing animal feelings. She's been different all along, but managed to prove that she is just as good as the other Zigots. People overcome differences, adversity, and discrimination in our own societies....Pilla should be equally equipped.

She might wonder what became of Peran, but won't seek him out. He failed to adequately explain and prepare her for what happened. She won't blame him for own own actions- she made her choices- but there is no logical or emotional reason to find him.

She didn't discuss the warning Peran had given earlier about Nugoz, and the war there. She remembers it though, and has a greater understanding now of how the Zigots fail to acknowledge much concerning animal motivations. She's already disappointed her instructor, and may have shamed her parent-set, so she might as well follow her own self-interests at this point. She's been missing out on a lot of her life, and realizes that now.

Pilla will decide to search for this other like her. She'll go to look for Gorgos, and perhaps try to understand why she is so different from everyone else, and why that by default appears to make them view her as inferior.
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:  

Quote: soiled on ddibsy's, sorry Muaddibs, way of saying shat on for those of you playing at home

Yeah what he said.
jnmrcs

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:  

I'm not a person of discussions and sometime I didn't have any idea. But here I have to say some thoughts I have in mind.

This is all because she choose philosophy. She didn't know what would happen there but she did it. And even more she enjoyed even when the logic didn't mathc to her. The feelings, her nature, the animal nature... did it have logic? Have love, or even sex, logic?

I'm sorry fauna, but I think that she have reasons to find Peran even when that wouldn't be my choice. She needs to undersatnd what happened (all because some people here voted for philosophy, that made her a philosophy person who needs explanations for everything).

I think she have to go to Nugoz. It would be better for her (and maybe she could find some answers there)
Mother Goose

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:  

Muaddib, you are not alone. There were seven voters who thought she should not go to the grove. I would have been more forceful in my opinion only I was trying to base it on what Pilla knew, and of course she knew nothing.

Peran was right in saying it would be a night Pilla would never forget - at least so it's reported about rape victims. And it was a rape, maybe not forcible rape, but date rape at least, and considering her ignorance, akin to child abuse in my eyes.

She may elect to go to Nugoz, both to get away from the Zigot homeland and to get closer to some other rational animals to learn more about them. She doesn't know any more about war than she had about sex, so Peran's warning would not worry her much, and a change of scene might be beneficial. She will be very cautious though.
Key

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for the great discussion, everyone. I really appreciate people taking this story seriously and talking through the issues it raises.

Shady Stoat wrote: How much information has she on the geography and other races that surround her? At the moment, I see at least a small possibility of her striking out in a direction independent of her own people - but that would involve knowing of other directions which could be taken, and how dangerous they might be. She wouldn't just march out blindly into the middle of a war zone, for example.

Pilla has pretty limited knowledge of the world outside of Zigoz. Here's a map that shows what she knows.

Zigoz is roughly square, and is bounded by four large cities connected by well-built and well-traveled roads. Lots of smaller roads and towns are in middle of the country, including Pilla's town, which is marked by a yellow star.

Nugoz lies outward and across the Scarpi desert, where the Scarpi live. A caravan with lots of new settlers is leaving soon from Ezen; if she wants the Nugoz job, she's expected to be on that caravan.

The Goatfoot forest is in a different direction, past Ochalis, and according to Peran it's quite far, probably farther than Nugoz.

The Head Institute is in Eoroz, the capital of Zigoz.

The Equine Forest borders another side of Zigoz. It's inhabited by horse-like animals. Pilla doesn't really know anything about them.

Any other questions, just let me know. :D
dovesland

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:  

Im sorry that I havnt chimed in sooner, last night was insane....lets just say my first story game is going to be a duesey!!!

Anyhoo, I just finished the chapter, and Key I MUST say, this is the best one yet, It was like I finally got the language barrier, I'm going to go back a re-read the first 3 chapters tomorrow when I have time and i'm just.....well amazed. Peran was the typical Satyr horney little bugger.....but he did it with style I felt. Now she has some major decisions to make. I will post again when Ive re-read it all again. Awsome Job Key Nice writing!!!!! :clap: :cheers: :tu2:
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject:  

Thanks for the map, Key. Makes life much easier :)

Pilla certainly crammed a lot of education into one night. She'll have a lot of adjusting to do before she can come to terms with it all.

Self-disgust is not an easy thing to live with. It's possible that she'll feel better once the hangover has gone, but that, to me, seems the reaction of a mature and well-experienced person, not a novice to emotions.

Just as likely that she'll turn to anger as a remedy. Anger at the injustice of her tutor's reaction, anger at the disgust with which she is regarded by her people, anger at herself for being led into the situation in the first place.

If her people are prepared to reject her over her animal nature, then for the moment, she might be prepared to reject them too. The notion of meeting someone like her will appeal more than heading to Nugoz in disgrace. She will head to see if she can find out more about Gorgos.
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject:  

OOOOOOOoooooooooooh a map!

Quote: Muaddib, you are not alone. There were seven voters who thought she should not go to the grove. I would have been more forceful in my opinion only I was trying to base it on what Pilla knew, and of course she knew nothing.

Peran was right in saying it would be a night Pilla would never forget - at least so it's reported about rape victims. And it was a rape, maybe not forcible rape, but date rape at least, and considering her ignorance, akin to child abuse in my eyes.

Yeah...I forgot about the other seven :blush:.
I'm a bit old fashioned in my views, thankfully there are others still like me. I have a feeling that the next generation will be stuck among hordes of promiscous carbon-based lifeforms.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:  

Although inexperienced and somewhat unsuspecting, I suppose I just don't view the educated and logical Pilla as having been forcibly raped. Coerced by alcohol and unexpected feelings of lust, perhaps, but not abused, defiled and violated.

And I suspect Pilla will realize that nothing that she and Peran did made her feel negatively in any way- those experiences were pleasant. The reactions of the people that should support and love her, however, have made her feel defiled and saddened. Is Pilla going to despise herself for something that she enjoyed, or instead finally reject the discrimination she's endured all of her life?

She's done proving her worth to those that don't respect her. An educated and intelligent adult, she's going to embrace her differences and find her comfortable niche in life.
saxon215

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:  

whats a more pure form of carbon is it grpahite or diamond, i had this argument with dad and i say its diamond

sorry about the random question but yeah
great points of view everyone an im loving the discusions
and just one more time, for old times sakes
shat
lol
thanks

what i think is wierd is that sge didnt use proggraming language when she was drunk she appeared to use normal tongue, was this just so people would understand better or were you trying to say that in a state of decreased cranial capacity (i think those mean what i think they mean) ((meabning whaen your thoughts are less stable and logical)) (((in short your dumber))) pilla is more likely to revert to her more animal state?
in my opninon when people are drunk they sound more like computer language except with smaller words that arent actual real words
actually funny story with my mate costie, afyter a few drinks we came up with the word stubbage which is a cross between stubble and cabbage, after a few more drinks he tried to say it again and came out with the word scrubble(which eventually because drunk persons scrabble)

Muaddib

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:  

^ Saxon, both are pure forms. But since diamod is more resistant to impurities, in practice it is purer.
Incidentally, on heating graphite it first turns to diamond and then into CO2.
Smee

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject:  

The language was a bit of a point to me...

Regardless of her animal nature, Middle is a foreign language she has learnt. I would think that no matter how drunk she was she would still speak in Syllogi - although she would probably speak in a simplistic syntax like a child, and do the equivilent to slurring - maybe excessive )))) :)

Foreign students I knew at uni would slip into their native tongue when drunk no matter how good their english was.
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Foreign students I knew at uni would slip into their native tongue when drunk no matter how good their english was

Its a defence mechanism, so that poms don't find out what they're saying. :-D
saxon215

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:  

yeah мое украинское будет фактическ милой неудачей so instead i slurr in and out of украинское only using it when thers a word i know
но я все еще наслаждаюсь confusing людьми путем делать их думаю что я поэтому после того как я выпит я делаю вверх по моему собственному языку
dovesland

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:  

saxon215 wrote: yeah мое украинское будет фактическ милой неудачей so instead i slurr in and out of украинское only using it when thers a word i know
но я все еще наслаждаюсь confusing людьми путем делать их думаю что я поэтому после того как я выпит я делаю вверх по моему собственному языку

huh?
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:  

Okay, how did I miss this titillating conversation. I am sad that I missed it all.

Don't worry Muadibb. I was one of the few that voted against going into grove. I thought it would be just a detour taking it away from what Pilla should be really focusing on, which is her education. But like Fauna said, she did learn something about her animal side. Maybe a bit too early than expected, but a lesson nonetheless.

Despite that opinion, I would say this the grove visit certainly made for a nice plot twist. It certainly cuts down one of Pilla's choices. But at the same time, it certainly ruins the respect she had gained earlier in life despite her uniqueness. For that, I really do pity the girl. At the same time, she now has more reason to leave Zigoz.

I would say go on to to Nugoz. She has learned one part about her animalistic origin, more physical and violent, but I think that would give her the incentive to learn further. :cool:
dovesland

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:  

ok, Im the one confused now...yeah I know what's new...anyhoo, Im not seeing the violence here. what I see is a sexual experience, and since she knows a professor of animals. why would not the logical choice be to go see him, and to see what was he thinks about her situation. He also knows Peryn and would know how to help him. it makes sence to me. Also, this is a good point for a blow up with the parental units its about time that we see some interaction from them as well. I dont know Im just throwing out suggestions to the masses. do with them what you will.
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:  

dovesland wrote: ok, Im the one confused now...yeah I know what's new...anyhoo, Im not seeing the violence here. what I see is a sexual experience, and since she knows a professor of animals. why would not the logical choice be to go see him, and to see what was he thinks about her situation. He also knows Peryn and would know how to help him. it makes sence to me. Also, this is a good point for a blow up with the parental units its about time that we see some interaction from them as well. I dont know Im just throwing out suggestions to the masses. do with them what you will.

You're bringing up two different, but also similar points.

When I used the word violent, I don't mean it had some serious bloodshed. But the event can still be considered date rape as Mother Goose pointed in his post. And if you think about it, Pilla is quite a naive person to the animal world, so in the imaginary sense, she would be gradually introduced to the aspects of that world, starting with probably something gentle, but that is not reality. Her meeting with Peran and all its consequences basically thrusts her into what their world can be, and unfortunately her first experience does not exactly give a good first impression.

As for your second point, Pilla actually does not know the Professor of Animal Studies very well. There has been no indication that she has any contact with him since the day she decided to go and do the Philosophy track.

Besides, Peran is only a test subject, an exiled Goatfoot to be exact. And since Peran is just a test subject, and has just now committed a heinous act, it is likely that the other residents of Zigoz may now have changed their opinions on foreigners.

It seems that earlier that they had a neutral view of other people, especially those of the Animal World, but I think this event could change their opinions quite easily. And if that is the opinion, it is likely that the Animal Studies track will be further sullied and looked down upon. Peran being the cause of it, may not be protected since he is only a pet thus can be easily disposed if it is the only way the Professor can keep his head above the water so to speak.
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Although inexperienced and somewhat unsuspecting, I suppose I just don't view the educated and logical Pilla as having been forcibly raped. Coerced by alcohol and unexpected feelings of lust, perhaps, but not abused, defiled and violated.

And I suspect Pilla will realize that nothing that she and Peran did made her feel negatively in any way- those experiences were pleasant. The reactions of the people that should support and love her, however, have made her feel defiled and saddened. Is Pilla going to despise herself for something that she enjoyed, or instead finally reject the discrimination she's endured all of her life?

Fauna, say that a child was treated nicely by a drug pedlar who offered him an unforgettable experience. The kid does drugs goes high and his parents find out. The child himself sees nothing wrong in what he did and has no regrets, but does that make it alright?

Others might see sex as merely another pleasurable pursuit, but to some of us sex has a much deeper significance, and the wanton abuse of it appaers wrong to us.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject:  

Muaddib wrote: Fauna, say that a child was treated nicely by a drug pedlar who offered him an unforgettable experience. The kid does drugs goes high and his parents find out. The child himself sees nothing wrong in what he did and has no regrets, but does that make it alright?

Others might see sex as merely another pleasurable pursuit, but to some of us sex has a much deeper significance, and the wanton abuse of it appaers wrong to us.
On the one hand sex can be compared to drugs, but then it's actually of a deeper significance? :? I know that wasn't the intent of your comparison, so there's no need to chase tails over that.

Although, I find little resemblance between a child experiencing the effects of processed chemicals and a healthy young adult experiencing intimacy.

I've no grand desire to convince anyone playing this game that has a more conservative point of view, to alter their outlook on life. But as far as the character of Pilla within this story, I believe her choices and experiences have been appropriate for her.
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject:  

Who said anything about drugs being bad? Im just saying that I feel to take drugs has to be an adult decision.

Also, Im not conservative. A conservative tends to want his/her opinon forced down everyone's throat. I respect the fact that you have your own opinons about sex, and I expect others to respect my opinions as well.
Smee

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Also, Im not conservative. A conservative tends to want his/her opinon forced down everyone's throat.

That's not a conservative - there's people like that on both sides of every argument. :shock:

A conservative opinion in this case is purely one that worries about Pilla's innocence and inability to make an informed decision. Which is yours I believe.

It bodes well for the rest of this storygame that we have good numbers on both sides. I look forward to many more good discussions.
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:  

Im still not convinced thats the definition. Ive been reading up a lot about American colleges, and the the biggest point everyone seems to be making is that liberal colleges tend to be more accepting of diversity while conservative ones are not.

PS: While I am worried about Pilla's innocence, Im not worried about her ability to make informed decisions, since we are maing the decisions on her behalf. I am worried about the conservative votes(by your definition) being constantly overwhelmed by the liberal votes(by your definiton). This is simply because although I have enjoyed arguing about how sex should be viewed, discussion itself does not influence the story.
saxon215

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject:  

if you dont know what sex is and your ignorant of it and all of what is involved within it then it is just like the boy and the druigs because all either side knows is that it feels good. Pilla doesent understand that sex HAS a deeper meaning.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3