Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 7: Misfortune or Fortune
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Chapter 7: Misfortune or Fortune  

Chapter 7

Jakeen wished he had the money to pay one of the healers. If he had, he’d be out of here by now and playing happily at the tavern. Wishes and what ifs were futile however, and he sighed with resignation. The free clinic appeared efficient enough, and adequate to tend his wounds for the moment. When the kind woman returned to check his progress, he asked her if the clinic offered a messenger service of any kind.

“I need to let my employer know where I am,” he said tiredly. “I can’t afford to lose my job.”

She pursed her lips and studied his face, which turned up to meet hers, creased with lines of worry. Her expression softened at his patent anxiety, and she patted his hand. “I’ll see what I can do, hon,” she reassured him before heading out the door.

Jakeen tried to relax. He ached, and the healing leaves and herbs tucked under his bandages cause itching. Logically thinking, Mace had no one to replace Jakeen. But Mace was more a man of action than he was a man of logic, and he had operated his business just fine through many tournaments before Jakeen had ever started playing at the Wormy Dog. Although Mace enjoyed the extra business drummed up by Jakeen’s playing, would that be enough to make him overlook a missed night?

Groaning as he shifted position, Jakeen noticed that his bandages had bled through. He was in worse shape than he’d originally thought. He doubted the woman would allow him to leave until the bleeding had stopped, and he also doubted that it would be wise to leave before then.

The woman returned laden with clean dressings and more herbals, followed closely by a skinny youth. She bustled about, sitting her burden on a small table and turning to face Jakeen with her hands on her hips.

“My son ‘ere is more’n happy to deliver a message to yer boss,” she stated matter-of-factly. The boy shuffled petulantly and scuffed his foot against the floor, then rubbed a reddened ear with some chagrin.

Jakeen simply asked that the lad explain to Mace where he was and why he was there, and through gritted teeth gave directions to the Wormy Dog while the woman cleaned and dressed his wound. The boy left with his instructions, and the woman offered Jakeen some water.

“You’ve someone asking to visit ye,” she said quietly. “You want that I let him in, or turn him away?”

He pondered who the visitor could possibly be, and curiosity overrode any caution. “Certainly, please.”

The woman left Jakeen alone with his aches and his thoughts. He was pleased with his first victory, but also realized that luck had a lot to do with his win. He needed to strategize more, and was uncertain where to begin. He also realized something else. He didn’t just want to attract the attention of potential mentors, or simply impress the Lyceum. He actually wanted to win this competition in a spectacular manner.

His visitor strode confidently in, and Jakeen stared with his mouth agape. He recognized the man from today’s first fight. This was Gorin! What could he possibly want to visit him for?

Gorin’s face softened, and he spoke in a calm, fluid tone. “I watched your fight. You had a rough time out there, but a commendable victory.”

“Th-thanks.” Jakeen swallowed reflexively. “Thank you, sir.”

Gorin held a parchment in his hands, studying the aged paper silently for a moment as if still pondering a course of action. He smiled to himself and appeared to resolve an internal debate. He then offered the parchment to Jakeen.

“This was a gift to me, but I suspect you might have more use for it.”

Taking the parchment, Jakeen knitted his brows and skimmed the words penned carefully on the weathered document. “Thank you, sir,” he said again, lifting his eyes to meet Gorin’s.

“Rest well, and recover young friend,” Gorin said with a genuine smile. "Until our next meeting," he added with a wink.

With those words he left, and Jakeen sighed. He liked the man, but fervently hoped that someone else bested him and spared Jakeen having to face him in the arena. Of course, that was a useless thought as well, since anyone that could defeat Gorin’s talents would prove formidable too.

He turned his eyes to the parchment again. The words flowed in an archaic flourish, difficult to read but beautiful to look at. It appeared to be some form of instruction, details of a complex spell along with the musical notes to play. A G E F# E, simple enough to render on his instrument, but when combined with the musical magic of his talent, the quire indicated that the notes could heal.

Jakeen grew excited! This could really prove useful. Instead of hours or days in this clinic, he could simply play himself well. He read through the instructions again, mentally noting the energies required, the thought patterns he’d need to focus on as he played the notes.

Did he dare attempt this, and could he trust this spell? He was a bit reluctant to practice a new spell on himself, but nothing ventured meant nothing gained...

Poll: To play, or not to play...

Practice on an injured animal to determine if the spell works as expected 3
Roll the parchment up and don't attempt the spell at all 1
Let curiosity get the better of judgment and go ahead and play the notes 2
Consult someone with greater magical knowledge, and hear his opinion on the matter 2
Eragon\'s Ego

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:  

wow, another wonderfull chapter, i play an ocarina and I do believe that there is true magic in music, at least enough to make one giddy, happy, or sad. do you play an instrument? I think everyone should try, because getting a song right makes me feel like a king. :-)
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:  

A long long long time ago I could play London Bridge on clarinet. o-)
Eragon\'s Ego

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:  

and i don't think that he could nail a song that quick, even if he does play it. If he's like me ittl take forever to get it right, and if he gets it wrong, he could kill himself
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:  

Great chapter.

I wonder if there's any chance of confiding in one of the healers and asking for an injured cat or rat or something to try the spell on first. It could be extreamly useful or extreamly harmful.

Also if we can try it on an animal we should also try the reverse on another. If both heal...

Don't use it

If both work as expected then it would be worth a try :biggrin:.
Sorrow_A

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:  

Gorin is a master of illusion and light. He could therefore either

a) disguise a doomsday spell as a healing spell, or
b) simply trick Jakeen into thinking it's a healing spell when it could in reality be a...doomsday spell.

Look, if you make your opponent die a public death, then you may not have to face him. That's the idea.

DON'T DO IT, SKYWALKER!
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:  

Great chapter Fauna :D

I don't really think this is a case of thinking things out logically. Jakeen is worrying his naive little heart out, lying here in bed. Is his job going to be taken from him? Is he going to be penniless and out on the streets? Can he survive the next round with the pitiful magic he's accumulated so far?

Ingro's suggestion of trying it out on someone first is an excellent plan. However, even if he can't find a test subject, I think he's just going to go ahead and try it. It will nag and nag and nag at him until he does. Simple as that *shrug*

The idea that Gorin might be taking him for a ride will occur to him, sure, but he's not old enough or cynical enough to let it override his youthful anxiety.

And if it does work... well then, he's got healing for next time. Woo! :D
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:  

It's risky, but if Jarkeen's healing takes too long, then he could risk trying out his spell. If it works, he won't miss any more nights at the Wormy dog, or miss the torunament. Let's be honest, he needs a little more information on potential opponents.

ALTHOUGH...

No-one does something like that out of the goodness of their hearts. I don't trust Gorin. His entire discipline of magic centers around the fact he uses illusions and trickery. This could be no different. But we may have no choice...
jnmrcs

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:  

I'm not sure that Gorin is trustly. The spell could be a trick.

Also I don't think (or maybe just don't know) that Jakeen have enough energy to try the spell and then (if work) do it on himself.

Yes, he need to be healed faster but sometimes the time gave you more rewards...

But as the personality of Jakeen maybe he will end using it even with all the risks.

I said don't use it but Jakeen wouldn't listen to me... he will do it.
Mother Goose

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:  

I don't trust Gorin either. My first thought was the same as Ingro's - try it on an animal - but even that might not give us a true answer. Gorin could have made something that would pass that test and still be harmful to Jakeen. Remember the Greeks bearing gifts! Having said that, I don't like the idea of spending weeks recovering either. Can the clinic personnel give him any idea how long it's likely to take to heal under their care?
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:  

Clinic care is basically regular, herbal medicine and stitches. Jakeen received the equivalent of a gunshot through the shoulder. It's going to take some time to heal.

Less effort would be required to magically mend himself, and his magical energies restored with a good night's sleep. Provided, of course, that we can trust Gorin and this new spell. Liking the discussion, and the idea to try the spell on some critter first. Poll should be up in a few days, so get any new ideas in.
luvd

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject:  

HHmmmm......On the one hand does he use it, on the other leave it. He could try it on another person and see if they get better or roll about in pain and agony with flames bursting from their stomach. Oh the irony, looks like he needs the help of say a master of the old musical magic :lol: Oh I want to see that :P I myself wouldn't trust this "freebee" but then I'm a bitter suspicious sort of person :grin:
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:  

Polling started. Let's vote, and as always feel free to add any more ideas or opinions on the story.
Mother Goose

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:  

Is there someone available to consult? Someone who's neutral in the tournament, but who may be learned in magic? If so, that would be excellent. After all, Jakeen, though very talented, has only had a few lessons and may not be able to see by looking at a spell what it would actually do.
jnmrcs

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:  

That could be a good idea, but how did you know that someone is neutral?

C'mon people...

If you practice the magic you could lose the energy you have left.

If you play it on you you could made a spell that is against you (because we don't know if the spell is for your good or not).

And again, how did you know that someone is neutral?
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

We trust Yahoo, and parted on good terms. He knows quite a bit about magic, and even some about musical magic. There are the patrons at the pub, who might be able to point us in a good direction. I'm certainly open to a few good suggestions whatever option you vote on.
luvd

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:  

It's too good an opportunity to waste really, as a student of magic he can't roll it up and throw it away incase it's a bomb. But he can't just use it willy nilly *snigger: I said willy*, he has to ask someone more learned.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject:  

*thwaps luvd* and then :poke:

Don't say willy like that again. Incorriwibble...

Although I do agree that despite the danger involved, Jakeen's curiosity, natural aptitude, and motivation might lead him to learn more, if not try something risky.
luvd

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:  

When your eager to learn, you just can't pass an opportunity like this slid by. It's power....POWER!!!! :grin:

*ouch* what was that hit for?
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:  

Don't play innocent, or I shall smack you again.
luvd

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:  

:shock: :scared: :surrender: :poke: :boxed:
Random

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:  

I voted to just play it. Jakeen doesn't seem cynical enough to be so untrustworthy. He actually seems to be a level headed kind of person.

But he also a musician. As a musician myself, if I am presented with new music I would immediately go for a guitar or piano to plunk it out and get a feel for it.

Jakeen doesn't seem the type of person who would randomly experiment a spell on an animal. He sems more responsible than that.

However, talking to someone more powerful about the spell seems like a logical choice as well. But I think the pull of music might affect him as it does any musician.
Eragon\'s Ego

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:  

as I am rather good on the 4-hole ocarina and jump at a song whenever I get the oppertunity to think that most of us musicians are the same, short of wit :-o , and long of heart (HEHEHEHE :P , I made a funny). Jakeen would surely jump at a song because that's just how most of us musicians are, and i'm sure most people that play an instrument would agree. P.S. Please don't take my joke seriously, for I too am a musician.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject:  

Polling is over, with the final results posted at the bottom of the chapter. We've decided to practice the spell on an injured animal first, to determine if the magic works as we expect it to.

Feel free to continue discussion, and make suggestions for the next chapter as I write. The new chapter will be posted before the end of this month.

Expect another round in the tournament to begin next chapter, and certainly discuss any tactics you think Jakeen should be concentrating on. He knows nothing about his opponent yet, and since he's been holed up in the clinic not only is he late for work, but he hasn't even gotten to check the board to find out his opponent's name.

I look forward to anything and everything my team has to say. :)

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
Page 1 of 1