Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 11: Rigiva
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Chapter 11: Rigiva  

The next chapter of the featured storygame "The Machine's Daughter" has been posted:

Chapter 11: Rigiva

Discussion and voting are complete for chapter 11.

For more about the storygame, see the New Players Start Here topic in this forum.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:  

So - he's offering much the same deal as he offered Masakati. She didn't do too well in refusing him. We're going to have to be very careful here.

At least it's out in the open, where everyone can hear the offer and response. I think she should say something along the lines of:

"And what would your people think of a leader that got distracted by the first tempting offer that came along? I must see my goals through to the end, in fairness, not only to myself, but to the Scarpi who have shown me such loyalty already."

However she phrases it, she should put him off without rejecting him. She's outnumbered and the King is not going to let her stand in the way of his ambitions if he can help it. Whereas she needs to see the serpent-witches and cannot let his ambitions stand in the way of her quest for knowledge.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:  

Hurrah! Conquer! Pillage! Domination.

With you others would join with his forces and you would be a power to be reckoned with.Join him and sweep the weak before you. Once you have done that you will be able to find out anything you need to easily.
Araex

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject:  

Interesting chapter. I like the fact that we now have a friend in Salva, should turn out nicely.

As regards to the king's proposal, I feel that his methods of 'uniting' seem to be wholly based on having the biggest army; so perhaps he wants to conquer the desert for himself, and you would be just another tool at his disposal.

I think we should certainly continue towards the Serpent Witches; though as to how we turn him down I am unsure. He doesn't seem to believe that you are a god, so there is no point trying to say that he must let you pass or Taremto will strike him down etc., but he does seem transfixed on this idea of having a calling. Perhaps you can say that your calling is to meet with the Serpent Witches and find out who you are?
Smee

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:  

Great chapter.

I think Stoat has thought it out well - leave options open and continue on your quest. She needs to take advantage of the many ears present to speak out for Scarpi-kind; wrapping herself in whatever protection from the king that might provide.

Can we get our hands on the translated Sigot writings from our new friend? - May offer some help in translating the Watchmaker more accurately.

Happy Writing. :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:  

oo, tricky descions point

while it's tempting to F5 chinaren, and it's what i would do, from Philla's point of view i think that she really does have to turn him down, at least for now

ask to delay it until she has consulted the witches or something, but do not turn him down completely
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter...I think the best so far. Maybe the dialogue is a bit shallow, but it is progressing well.

Pilla cannot marry the scarpi king. First off because the trust of the other tribes in her would diminish...what would they think of the god who married the traitor king? Secondly, she is considered a god, therefore, no scarpi should be her equal.

This king is smart, but he is too power hungry. Pilla should not accept his offer, or even compromise.

If he speaks for the good and the freedom of the scarpi, then he should have no problem submitting to Pilla and uniting the kingdom under her.

She doesn't want to offend him, but she needs to show him that he can't take advantage of her, and that in the eyes of scarpi, he is inferior to her.

Ultimately, Pilla wants to see the serpent witches. If no other option is present, Pilla could lie, and tell the scarpi king that she needs to consult with the serpent witches before making a decision that could turn out wrong. If that doesn't work, promise to be married only after Pilla has seen the serpents.

If she manages to talk to them, they could give her knowledge on the real intentions of the scarpi king, and help her work out a plan to get him out of her way and still unify the feuding tribes.

In any case, be wary of the scarpi king. He speaks for himself, not for the scarpi.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter here.

First of all, can I just say that Scarpi King here is a totally egotistical bastard? Sorry about the language, but I think that was one of the worst marriage proposals ever to come out any guy's mouth. But really, all he is thinking about is himself, and expansion. Pilla is not going to get anything really out of this marriage alliance. I think also that the only reason he thought to marry here is so, he could have the right to brag about marying a child of Teremto, thus a relation of Masakati.

An outright refusal in the presence of an audience would not be a good idea. Rigva seems to not take refusal very easily, and obviously he is trying his best to persuade her. Like some have suggested, maybe we can reach a compromise? Making our decison after seeing the Serpent-Witches? Or maybe Pilla can ask whether her safety is assured and that she won't end up like Masakati, and having her dead body being picked at by the desert creatures.

If there was some hope of trust actually being conveyed by Rigva, maybe the alliance would be okay. But the way it looks now, and from the dialogue, this guy does not seem to be the kind of person Pilla should ally herself with.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:  

She shouldn't allow a presumed leadership to prevent her from consulting with her companions. She can't put the answer off for long, but long enough to hear what the Scarpi's she trusts have to say.
Aino

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:  

Very interesting chapter. I am struck by internal and external tensions. In terms of an internal dimension, in order to play the role of leader, first, Pilla has to IMAGINE what a leader is expected to be and do in terms of the verbal and nonverbal messages that s/he communicates, which should be difficult because she should not know the norms and mores of the beings she is interacting with. Would it be logic that directs her imagination? At the same time, there is the external dimension, because she has to verbally and nonverbally communicate messages to others that identify her as a leader. Complicating her actions is the fact that she may unintentionally communicate through body language or other nonverbal action that she is not the leader that she verbally says she is, which could threaten her and her group. Moreover, it is/seems clear that she feels that her "true self" is not the person that she acts to be, and she must choose how much of that "true self" to reveal to others. However, it is equally clear that she doesn't know what that true self is. Perhaps, Pilla should listen to her intuition as she chooses whom to trust.
Suneila

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:  

Aino wrote: I am struck by internal and external tensions. In terms of an internal dimension, in order to play the role of leader, first, Pilla has to IMAGINE what a leader is expected to be and do in terms of the verbal and nonverbal messages that s/he communicates, which should be difficult because she should not know the norms and mores of the beings she is interacting with. Would it be logic that directs her imagination? At the same time, there is the external dimension, because she has to verbally and nonverbally communicate messages to others that identify her as a leader. Complicating her actions is the fact that she may unintentionally communicate through body language or other nonverbal action that she is not the leader that she verbally says she is, which could threaten her and her group. Moreover, it is/seems clear that she feels that her "true self" is not the person that she acts to be, and she must choose how much of that "true self" to reveal to others. However, it is equally clear that she doesn't know what that true self is. Perhaps, Pilla should listen to her intuition as she chooses whom to trust.
Ahem! Translation:
Pilla has to be careful about what she does or says 'cuz if she does something wrong (or not fitting with who the Scarpi think she is) it could threaten her safety, the safety of her companions, and the outcome of their journey. And she doesn't want to do anything that might change her personality or outlook in a way she doesn't like.

Now wasn't that a lot easier? (shorter, too)

Anyway, I think Fauna's right. She can't make this decision on her own. Rigiva's advisors are with them, too, so it shouldn't be too hard to stall long enough to consult with Nogola and the others (i.e. "I'll give you my answer in the morning")

~sunny
Key

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:  

Poll's up. Happy voting!
Ravenwing

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:  

I think everyone here has made the point that Pilla has taken on the role of leader thus bringing her actions and reactions under scrutiny.

I think Pilla should take the opportunity to talk to Nogulas before making her decision. Yes going to see the serpent-witches is the original plan, but now the decision being made affects the group as a whole I think. That being said, I think she should continue on her original plan. So, I think she she should first talk with Nogulas and tell her decision in the morning.

That decision could be to ask to go to see the serpent-witches to allow for more time I guess.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:  

she should agree to the preposal, even if she then later changes her mind - or rather, just lies.
Ravenwing

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:  

But lying is not in Pilla's nature it would seem, at least it doesn't seem so. She is a logical thinker, thus when she makes a decision it is done after a lot of thinking. And that would be her final choice. She just doesn't seem to be an indecisive person.
Suneila

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:  

This is a hard one. I'm wavering between asking to speak to the serpent-witches first or saying that she will give him an answer in the morning. I just don't think he'll be pleased with the first one, but its definately safest. (maybe that should be her answer in the morning)

I'll wait to see what some other people say.

~sunny!
Smee

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:  

I changed my mind and voted for give the answer tomorrow.

I think logic dictates she should get what information she can from those she's established some trust with.

Happy Writing :)
Key

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:  

Get your votes in - only eight hours or so left!
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:  

Anything to temporize! I voted for tomorrow too, but as has been suggested, maybe tomorrow she can ask for more time, to consult the witches. She should not agree to marry him under any circumstances! He wants to use her to gain supreme power, and as soon as he thinks he no longer needs her - so sorry, must have stung you by mistake!
Ravenwing

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:  

Yes!! Tomorrow is winning!! I think it is the most logical step. It leaves Pilla's decision pretty open like Mother Goose said.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:  

I still would have said that telling him you don't want to seem flighty by taking up one task before finishing another...not that I'm a good real-life role model for that kind of behavior.
Key

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is closed; the choice was to ask for tonight to think it over.

Chapter 12 will be out in two days.
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject:  

Hmm. A close vote between asking to go to the serpent witches and waiting for tomorrow.

Actually I think the decision we made is one of the more difficult ones, but I am sure Katie and Key will pull it off perfectly well. :cool:
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:  

Damn, I missed the vote...Oh well...my option didn't win...but I could have tied it up.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:  

Darn. I keep forgetting West Coast is 3 hours behind us Easties. *pulls out a stool from out of the air* Guess I have to wait.... :cool:
Key

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:  

Chapter 12 posted. Locking this chapter.

Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter
Page 1 of 1