Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 7 : Another package
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Chapter 7 : Another package  

Chapter 7 : Another package

There was no time for further investigation, and I wouldn't risk opening it on the way. With a hasty gesture a pale nimbus of light surrounded it.

I looked at Sindor again, his face still a picture of nerves.

"I've got to go, so I've shielded it just in case. Is it ok to remain there for a few hours?"

He swallowed and nodded.

"Don't let anyone touch it."

Judging his current state it was an unnecessary warning, but I felt better having given it. Without another word I hastened out the main doors. Behind me Jarad finished a quick whisper into Sindor's ear, and I saw the clear movement that indicated gold had been passed. Sindor might be scared but he was making himself a fortune out of me.

The street was busy, as it always was during tournament time. We hurried through the crowds, stopping briefly to get a slice of something from a street trader. It was cake of some kind, tangy and sweet. By the time I had sucked the last bit of syrup from my fingers we'd arrived.

Jarad led the way to the same seats as before just as the announcer cried out Jakeen's name. He hurried in, his opponent already in place. It appeared we weren't the only ones arriving just in time!

"CONTESTANTS, IT'S LAST ONE STANDING, BE INVENTIVE...AND FIGHT"

He seemed nervous, looking about the arena and probably realising how different it looked down there rather than in the crowd. He then noticed his opponent. I'd missed her name, but I dimly recalled seeing her before. Jarad pulled out a program from a pocket and whispered "Sheva". The memory flooded back. Even from this distance her Forest Elves ancestry was obvious but I now knew for certain that this would be a ferocious fight.

Whilst he continued his observations I studied him for the first time. What had Yahoo managed to teach him in so limited a time? Did he really have a chance here? Tokes had told me that he'd handled the thieves pretty well.

Sheva was moving, and almost instantly afterwards Jakeen had his lyre playing out a series of notes. Shimmering shields surrounded each one. Good, he'd learnt that at least.

He took the offensive and sent a bolt of fire towards her. That seemed limited? She'd laugh that off.

She did, and it went downhill from there. He seemed to be admonishing himself when the first series of stones hit him. They took him by surprise and he'd been fully pelted before he tried dodging out the way. As soon as he did he realised the Elf relied on line of sight for her spells, almost as if they were arrows from a bow. Excellent, now hopefully he'd come up with something.

I willed him to use his invisibility or something. A larger stone suddenly went through his shoulder, and I winced at the spray of blood. Even if he managed to pull it together and actually win this, that injury wouldn't heal quick on its own.

But was it already too late? He wavered, the shock of the injury threatening him with unconsciousness. A staggered step towards Sheva interrupted her spell and she hastily shuffled back, maintaining the distance. Her connection to the archery aspect of magic was impeding her, but she still clearly held the upperhand.

Jakeen still seemed out of it, but he continued his stagger towards her. Again she backed up. I noticed the exit behind her, was that what he was heading for? Did he want the fight to end? Maybe no one had told him how to stop a fight if he surrendered? I looked about for an official, anxiety filling me despite barely knowing the boy. Just before I rose from my seat Jarad grabbed my arm and pointed into the arena.

Jakeen had stopped moving and was playing. The sound was blocked by the arena shield the same as any magic but whatever it was doing didn't seem to be working. Sheva grinned wickedly and gathered more balls of earth around her, compacting them into hard stone pellets the equivilent to the one that must have passed through his shoulder. Suddenly they fell apart back into sand. Angrily she sent the remains at Jakeen before coughing violently, and seemingly gasping for breath. What was he doing?

He continued but she was mustering control from somewhere. A cloud of sand and dirt surrounded her and then flew towards Jakeen. Surely he couldn't continue whatever he'd been doing under such duress? We sat on the edge of our seats, expecting the end to be called any second when again Jarad noticed a difference. The cloud began swirling into a tornado shape, round and round, sucking up all the sand surrounding Jakeen. With barely an effort it moved towards the stricken elf and picked her up as if she were no more than a bit more sand.

Jakeen seemed to come round and his eyes blinked hard against the sand encrusted around the edges. The wind faded, dumping his opponent unceremoniously under a pile of sand, one arm all that was visible.

“CONTESTANT JAKEEN WINS!”

With alarm I watched him finally give in to his injury and collapse to the floor, but couldn't help marveling that he'd won.

Jarad recognised my trance-like face and guided me back to the inn whilst I thought about the fight. The surprising victory was impressive enough, but the sheer quantity of power needed for the column of wind was awesome. Power grows with experience and use. For someone so new to their gift it surely foretold of something special.

Arriving back to find Sindor hopping around with agitation crashed my mind back to the issue of the package.

"Sirs, so good to see you back. I didn't touch it I promise, but the glow has gone!"

I glanced at the retreating sun.

"Ease your worry Sindor, I was merely too far away for too long, my shield ran out of power."

He made a show of being relieved but I knew he wouldn't calm down until it was dealt with. A few minutes later I had the package in the middle of the stableyard behind the inn, with Jarad looking after Sindor at a doorway a fair distance away. As they watched I studied it once more. Nothing gave any sign of being magically trapped. For Sindor's sake I decided to continue with a paranoid approach. A gesture and a new shield surrounded it once more. With care I shaped a rune on the palm of my hand and released. The string wrapped around the package moved, as if pulled by invisible fingers. The bow came apart and the string fell off. Another gesture and one side of the brown wrapping moved back; again and the contents were revealed.

A soft document pouch lay within. Curiosity overwhelmed my care and I reached out for it. The shield faded at my touch and I picked up the pouch. Gently I unfolding the cover and with some care I pulled out the scroll within. An accompanying note drifted to the floor which I picked up and scanned.

Gorin, you ol'rascal.

Dug this out a while ago, been meaning to send it to you for sometime but never got round to it, you know how things go.
How are your studies going?

I guess by the time you recieve this you'll be winding people up in the tournament. If you get knocked out again then spare a day or two to stop by an ol' friend on your way home, before he gets so bored with waiting for a vist that he kills himself just for the amusement.

Yours,

Syinto

Oh - almost forgot. Don't try this yourself, I've heard your singing voice before and I'd expect the injuries would get worse as a result. Hahaha.

Smiling at my friend's sense of humour I opened the scroll and looked at it. Interesting indeed, a music based form of healing. Unbidden, despite my professional interest in the scroll, Jakeen's image flew through my head. The spray of blood, the staggered steps, collapsing in victory.

I looked up at Jarad and Sindor and waved away their concern with a smile. At the exact same moment I made my mind up.

"Just an old friend that wrote me. No alarm."

Jarad nodded, and Sindor sighed. He still didn't look much happier though.

"Is there anything else I can be doing for you Sirs?"

"No thanks Sindor. You've been great," I added.

Finally he looked relieved as he vanished inside. Motioning to Jarad I explained what I wanted to do and we left the inn, once again heading towards the arena. Given his occupation and experience Jarad had agreed that the Free Clinic was the most likely place he'd be found. Just as we arrived outside Tokes ran up to us breathlessly.

"Sorry...I...lost.."

He looked exhausted, and his clothes were shreaded in many places. A few in the crowd noticed his odd appearance and were casting suspicious looks at us.

"Jarad, take him over there and get him a strong drink. Find out what happened, I'll catch up with you after this little errand."

He nodded and clapped and arm around Tokes' shoulders, helping him along and into the bar. Shoving my interest in what had happened to the back of my mind I ventured into the cool interior of the clinic. Within a few moments a friendly nurse had taken my request to Jakeen and returned with his acceptance. I followed her directions and quickly found his bed. He appeared in a bad way, thick bandages wrapped around his chest and shoulder. However he was awake and his eyes seemed alert but surprised, almost shocked.

I softened my face and tried to ease his concern.

"I watched your fight. You had a rough time out there, but a commendable victory."

He swallowed and replied nervously. It was almost like talking to Sindor again! I revealed the scroll from where I'd held it within my robes and looked at it again. Was there any point in giving him this? Would he trust the motives of another competitor? And of course there was the research potential within it. Could I risk him shunning the gift and wasting its potential?

The images of his fight, and his power flowed through my mind once again. The blood splattered one more time and the decision was made again. Whatever he made of it was his decision, and that process itself of as much interest to me as anything else about him.

I held the scroll out to him. "This was a gift to me, but I suspect you might have more use for it."

He took it without question and studied it intently for a moment. He repeated the same thanks as earlier, although with more confidence. I'd done my part, it was now down to him to help himself. Inwardly I considered what I'd do if I met him in the arena. I knew we'd meet again at least, could my research perhaps offer me enough insights to consider taking up his teachings? Thoughts for another time.

"Rest well, and recover young friend," I concluded with a smile. "Until our next meeting."

I left him to his study. If he turned up at his next fight then I'd soon find out whether there was any trust there or not. A few minutes later I sat down with a dubious looking pint of something with Jarad and Tokes either side of me.

Tokes looked significantly better and Jarad had found a new shirt for him from somewhere. The practicality of the man never ceased to amaze me.

Tokes took up his story without me asking.

"The invisibility worked really good. I found him in no time and I could get real close. Then he started acting all suspicious and started walking through alleys at random. At one point it disappeared briefly and I ran to catch up. I rounded a corner and was suddenly caught on what I can only discribe as a giant spider's web. Hung out to dry I was, although I was still invisible.

It took me the rest of the afternoon to cut me'self free but by then I was quite visible again and I'd lost him. I spent sometime looking for the trail but it vanished in a inn and I can't track it down. Must have been some magic involved."

After finishing his story he immediately downed the rest of his second drink. With a slam he brought his glass down to the table and then froze, his eyes directed above my head. I looked at Jarad, finding him watching the same happenings behind me. I mimed an action that asked him if magic was going to be necessary and he very slightly nodded.

Trouble had found me again.

I turned round to face whatever was approaching. It appeared to be a gang of thugs roughly making their way through the crowd towards the table. Their intent was unqueastionable, every pair of eyes glued to me. A cellar-boy approached them, pointing towards their weapons and asking them to be left at the door. One of them picked him up and threw him roughly towards a wall. The boy collapsed to the ground and didn't rise.

What did they want? Were they related to the magical attack? If so they must obviously expecting a magical defence. What protection might they have? Are they mages too - it seemed unlikely but Gregoh showed that a mage could be brawn as well as brain. Could I think of something inventive to get out of this? Some answers from them would be useful too.

What to do?
Idea master

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:  

There's no shame in saving our life. RUN AWAY! QUICKLY!
If these guys are prepared for mages, then we probably have no chance. Gorin is a master of light and illusion, not of sword-summoning or flame-throwing. GET OUT OF THERE!!
There must be a back door or a secret exit. All good establishments have one.
DoomBuggy

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:  

My instinct was to get out of there or become invisible. I don't think there's three mages who are beating up people like common thugs. These are lackeys sent by your next oppoent, probably.

But if you DO run, it can't be good news for everyone who's left behind . The thugs will probably take it out on them.

So, show them you're not intimidated. Use your powers of invisibility to show them that they can't fight what they can't see. Maybe make some of the other people in the tavern invisible too. Outnumber them, take them captive, ask them questions. Let's find out who's behind this.
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:  

Offense is the best defense. Screw them(pardon me), whicle they're busy looking menacing.
hewithoutaname

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject:  

The idea of running away might give signs of weakness within Gorin to the other competetors.

I say he sits there and waits to see their intensions before making any important decisions. If all else fales to work remember he is the master of illusion.
Smee

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject:  

Thanks HWOAN :)

However, with this particular storygame I would like more.

It seems pretty likly with the way the boy was treated that they mean harm.

What -specifically - do you think Gorin will do? Maybe try and blind them with bright flashes of light and colours (although that's getting kinda old) - I'm sure you can come up with better.

:)
Phang

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:  

We could always create some sort of intimidation illusion - blinding fire and such. Question them about who they're working for, then we may leg it.
hewithoutaname

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:  

I guess my nextfarfetched idea would be another use of Gorin's abilitys. Instead of the same blinding lights and all try a more powerful approach. Like a quick, clean, yet effective foreword attack to quickly end the problem.
Smee

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for another try, but I would suspect that if they do have magical defences then it will be more geared up to direct attack.

A more sneaky or clever plan is needed, and preferably limiting the number of innocent people in the inn being hurt during the fight.

Get the thinking cap on guys - it's only going to get tougher.
hewithoutaname

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:  

What if he pulled an illusion so it appeared as if he and the others were still sitting there yet in reality they had snuck out a back way?
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:  

Maybe can add a few bits of royal purple to his clothes. When the miscreants come closer, he could shout "Guards" and have an illusion of a dozen or so mean looking royal guards troop out?
hewithoutaname

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:  

Wow. Good idea.
Smee

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:  

I am liking your idea Muaddib, and can actually see something like that happening.

Keep them coming folks - this is what Team Gorin is all about. :D
hewithoutaname

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:  

Maybe......Gorin could "teleport" them away. Either in reality or as an illusion. Then they can get away.
Smee

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:  

Teleporting isn't a power Gorin has, and isn't commonplace in general.

He could certainly appear to teleport away, as part of a fancy invisibility spell.

Good idea. :)
hewithoutaname

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:  

Ok. Wasn't quite sure on the limitations of Gorins powers.
Smee

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:  

Quite understandable - that's why discussion is good. :D
Crymzon

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:  

That or create an illusion that would show himself to be duplicating. By the time the thugs have figured out which is the real one. He's got the upper hand has he not? :)
sparta12

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject:  

I see wait and hear what these "Thugs" have to say. If any that is. Once finding out their intentions perhaps he could cast a spell that would swiftly render the group unconscious?
Smee

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject:  

A poll is going up in the next few hours so any last ideas for the 'type' of spell (not just 'cast a spell') - get them in now.

Happy Thinking :D
Smee

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:  

Poll's Up.

Get your votes in fast, there's going to be a mid-month chapter and an end of month chapter so we need to get cracking.

Happy Voting. :D
Idea master

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:  

I must say I rather like good old Muddy's idea as well. Which is why I voted for it.
And I like thwaping Bob, so I thwaped the one under Smee's post.
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

I went with my Royal Guards idea. The thing with illusion is that you need t keep coming up with original stuff otherwise people start seeing through it. Sorta like antibiotics.
Smee

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:  

Thanks for the votes guys - 7 is a much more respectful number.

It seems the decision is to go with a Royal Guard illusion - a very nice imaginative idea :D

The chapter should be up the end of this week, or early next.

Happy Reading. :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:  

Well, I've caught up now.

And - even though it's after the poll - could he theoretically make them think they had teleported away? I.E., cast an illusion around them so that they thought they were in a different place - such as a cave - while keeping them trapped with light?
Smee

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:  

Indeed - it's certainly possible to wrap someone in an illusion making them think they're somewhere else.

Glad you're all caught up, a chapter for you to vote on will be here very soon.

Happy Reading. :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:  

I'll be waiting.
Smee

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:  

New chapter up I'm locking this thread.

Thanks for all your comments, discussion and votes.

Happy Reading :D

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
Page 1 of 1