Free online storygaming

Chapter 8a: Mace
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Chapter 8a: Mace  

Chapter 8a

Tossing in his bed, Jakeen struggled to hold onto an uneasy sleep as the light of day worked its way beneath the dusty drapes pulled across the window. Sleep fled and wakefulness exploded with full glory as the deep voice and heavy footsteps of Mace entered the hallway. Sarah’s aged, tired voice spoke softly just outside the door, admonishing the bulky man to show restraint. The light pattering of her slippered feet disappeared down the hall, leaving the deep breathing of Mace as the only sound left from the other side of the door. His weighty fist rapped on the wood.

Jakeen hastily pulled on his breeches, and opened the door a timid sliver to peer into the hall. Mace stood uncomfortably close in the door frame, and at the cracking of the door he placed his hand flat against it and pushed it open fully, brushing Jakeen to the side with the action. With two brisk steps he strode into the room, his face a mask of inscrutability. Although he did not appear angry, he also did not wear the usual broad smile that softened his ferocious visage.

Jakeen swallowed, forcing a large lump back down his throat, and then closed the door. He stood with his back to the jamb, crossing his arms in an unconscious effort to protect himself. He had often assumed the exact same pose when facing his father, and had Jakeen realized the reflexive action he might have been disappointed with himself. Instead he was too consumed with thoughts of Mace putting him out on the street, and for some reason he could not fathom Jakeen did not want to disappoint the man. He felt he had already done just that.

An uncomfortable silence hung in the air as Mace looked about the small space of the room. A rickety bed and spare washstand were the only pieces of furniture, but in this depressed area of Vlusos this room represented luxury accommodation. He often charged a silver a night for this tiny space, but Jakeen’s playing had proven valuable enough thus far to warrant his staying in this room. However, Mace was operating a business, one he had operated for many tournaments, and he wasn’t about to start running some halfway house for poor contestants, no matter how sweetly they played. He broke the silence with his hearty bass voice, saying as much to Jakeen.

The situation, Mace’s words, everything at this point grated against Jakeen’s jangled nerves. He respected Mace as his employer, and had even thought the man his friend. Jakeen felt as if he had failed in some way despite his victory in the arena and the circumstances that followed. He had boldly negotiated his employment, asking for twice the pay originally offered and demanding a room as well, and Mace had agreed.

“I only missed one night,” Jakeen thought. “And it wasn’t my fault.” But the excuses went unvoiced, not convincing Jakeen, and he thought most definitely not convincing Mace should he manage to whimper the feeble excuses aloud.

Jakeen watched Mace talk, seeing the man but no longer hearing his words. Mace’s fiery red hair formed a huge mane about his head, blending with the thick sideburns and only broken by the jagged edges of a scar. The man’s hot breath swept over Jakeen’s face, and Jakeen stared a few moments into the gaping maw, drawn past the stained teeth and into the darkness beyond. A warm spray of spittle forced Jakeen to blink, and his gaze lifted to Mace’s bloodshot eyes.

Mace went silent, either contemplating or awaiting a response, and Jakeen wasn’t certain which. He remained silent as well, and then Mace spoke.

“I respect your talent, and appreciate the fact that you sent word of your whereabouts. But I must think about my business first. I’ll take two night’s rent from your pay, and if you like I’ll give you work, but I go back to my original offer. As long as your competition means more than your employment, that’s the way it’s gonna be.”

Jakeen considered. A pallet in the storeroom, two meals and five silvers a day was better than nothing at all.

** There is the confrontation with Mace. Mace is a hard man, but he has always paid Jakeen for a fair night's work. Jakeen had negotiated for twice the pay and a room when he accepted Mace's offer, but because the tournament consumes his time and attention, Mace has returned to the original offer of a pallet in the storeroom and five silvers a night. How does Jakeen respond?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:  

Money hasn't really been a problem for Jakeen so far. I think as long as he has a place to stay and enough money for his food, there's not much else he needs at the moment. Do well in the competition and he'll be compensated at the end of it, either by being able to take up a teaching trade, or... if wonders never cease... by winning the grand prize.

Until then, he'll have to take what he can get in terms of work. Mace isn't his friend, but he's as good as given permission for Jakeen to put his competition first, with agreeing to the new price.

There are worse offers out there :)
jnmrcs

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:  

You are right. While Jakeen have enoguh for food and a room he will be ok.
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:  

I agree. Accepting the offer sounds like the best way to go here.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:  

So far we're all agreed to accepting the offer. Any difference in opinion? Should I poll or take it as we're all agreed to stay on with Mace under his terms?
jnmrcs

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject:  

I think that's ok, fauna. But I don't know if someone think something different.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:  

I'm happy with that. It seems realistic to me :)
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:  

I agree no poll needed :)

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
Page 1 of 1