Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Mayoral Duties
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 06
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Mayoral Duties  

Below are a list of all the powers and responsibilities of the new Mayor (astute political observers will note that I haven't been doing all of these 100%. I'm hoping the next Mayor will do a better job ):

- Creating a new forum for the SGotM winner each month.
- Disbursing fables for all prizes, including SGotM, linear stories winner, completion of storygames, etc.
- Bestowing all appropriate honors on the Honor Roll and the honored citizen's profile.
- Setting tax rates for the forums
- Forcibly collecting taxes from those who don't pay voluntarily
- Moving storygames to the Hall of Legends when finished or when they go on hiatus, and back when they're back off hiatus
- Warning, banning and deleting inappropriate/spam comments and users as needed
- Bestowing custom ranks when paid for
- Creating new groups as needed
- Selecting new City Council members as needed
- Putting out a reminder for the monthly storychat
- Moving the storygames with the most recent chapters to the top of the forum
- Setting configurable forum options, such as inbox and signature size
- Managing the money supply, including setting how many fables are awarded for what activities. This includes deciding how to spend the City of IF Treasury, and potentially coming up with creative solutions to our inflation problem (ie. there's not much to spend fables on, so we just keep getting more and more).
- Being the path of escalation if a citizen is unhappy with a moderator's actions or decision.

There are some things beyond the Mayor's powers. The following responsibilties are reserved for the King:

- Changing the content of any HTML (i.e. non-forum) page, such as the site home page, the FAQ page, etc.
- Installing forum modifications, such as the calendar, fables, etc.
- Changing navigation, such as the top nav bar
- Major changes in forum architecture such as the addition or combination of categories. Although the Mayor technically has power to do this, these sorts of changes have broader implications for the site, so I would like them to be done in consultation with me.
- Overseeing site publicity
- Being the court of final appeal if a citizen is unhappy with anything about the site and is unable to resolve the situation by going to the Mayor.

In general, as you can see from above, the Mayor will make sure the site runs smoothly day-to-day, while I'll focus on longer term changes and strategy. However, I expect the Mayor to be interested in the long term too, and to come up with ideas for site improvement, either things that citizens are asking for or ideas that the Mayor comes up with on his or her own.

Please ask if you have questions about what the Mayor's job entails.

:-)

Storygames Home -> Election Apr 06
Page 1 of 1