Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

A Glass Friendship:Prologue
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> A Glass Friendship - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: A Glass Friendship:Prologue  

A Glass Friendship

Prologue

There comes a certain time, my friend, when the things that are strenious at best finally break, and shatter, and all the resulting peices fly off and injure innumerable others. This tale, like many others of its type, did not happen in a night, a week, or even a year. This tale of mysery and woe happened throughout a lifetime.

It started on a bleak autumn day.

London, England. Early 1800s

James smiled. Yes, it was odd that he would smile, given his predicament. His family was very poor, there were simply too many children, and the house was in need of repair. Ever since father had died, it had been like this. On top of that, his family hadn't been able to get him a birthday present. But none of that mattered to him, James always found a reason to be happy. And this one was the best yet. After weeks of nothing but rain, the ground was finally dry enough to play outside in. or, at least, that's what he had told his mother. In reality he was jumping into a mud puddle and enjoying it immensely.

He had just gotten out of the puddle, and was beginning to wonder how he would ever explain this to his mother, when he noticed a figure walking up the road. As the figure drew near, he saw that it was a boy, not only that, but, judging by his clothes, a rich boy. But James was having a good time, and since he'd been taught to share, he called out to the boy.

"Hey, wanna come play in the mud with me?"

Oh, if only he had not let out that cry! The cry that started so much!

===============================================

The boy on the road happened to be Frederick Richardson. A very nice lad as boys go, but a little unstable at times. And he was very unhappy. His father refused to buy him a pony, which he wanted very much. Other than his pony issues, the boy had a perfect life. Yet, there he was, sulking and walking down the road. He sighed. He had promised that there would be no more fits, but he had just thrown one. And in front of Father and everything. He was supposed to have given up on fits by now. He was five, for goodness sakes! He was in the process of muttering things to himself that no five-year-old should know, when the boy's invitation reached him.

He paused for a moment, and then went up to meet the strange boy in the puddle.

James saw the boy coming towards him, and that only hightened his joyous mood. He might make a new friend today! But the clothes were all wrong to play in the mud. No problem, the other boy was about as big as him. James, being James, would lend him some. Finally, the boy responded.

"Hello, I'm Frederick, who are you?"

James smiled. Frederick, what a long name! "I'm James, nice to meet you, want some mud?"

"No, James, I'm not in the right clothes to play in the mud." Freddy sighed, that mud looked awful fun, and he'd sure like to play in it, but Father would scold him.

"Well, Fredri... wow, that's a long name. Can I just call you Freddy?"

"If I can call you Jimmy."

"Ok, then. Anyways, I could lend you some clothes to change into so you won't have to walk home all muddy."

"Thank you. OK, then, watch out, I'm coming in!"

Freddy, when he asked about Jimmy's history, was rewarded by Jimmy's entire life story. Among the two new friends, it seemed polite for Freddy to tell Jimmy his. After exchanging stories, there was silence for a while. Finally, it was Freddy who spoke.

"Wow, you've sure had a rough life, how are you so happy?"

"I don't know Freddy, I'm just happy."

And, all of the sudden, Frederick coveted Jame's happiness. Jimmy was his new best friend, but he now felt a new feeling toward him, somehow mixed in with his good feelings. It was loathing.

Freddy wanted to be happy, and he would do anything to be as happy as James. But, there was a problem. He'd tried being happy, but it hadn't worked out. Well then, if Frederick couldn't be happy, then he would just have to make James unhappy.

And, my friend,given enough time, he would do it by any means neccessary.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:  

Nice - I like his attitude. If I can't be happy, no one can.
Diamons

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:  

Excellent start Alegria. I love the way you depict the emotional thoughts of the characters, as if they existed. You show their motives very clearly, the reason for their anger, loathing.
rlz

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:  

Intersting story so far Alegria. A story about a spoiled rich kid making a poor kid unhappy. I hope that Freddy dies or something. :lol: I'm not poor, but I'm not rich, but I do think poor kids are much nicer than richer ones.

No offence, but the richer ones tend to be more spoiled, and the poorer ones, like James in your story, have a funfilled carefree life. :D
Muaddib

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:  

Very different Alegria!

More please.
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:  

Definitely different from SJ. I would like to see what direction this story goes in.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:  

Indeed 'Leggy. I liked this one a lot. Simple and straightforward characters (being 5 they would be of course) but many possibilities and very nicely written.

I eagerly await part 2, along with a decision point as well of course! ;)
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject:  

Yes, good stuff Alegria. You've drawn us in, now let's see what you can do with the rest of the story :D
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:  

The Prince and the Pauper eh? Well only without the whole two nice boy's get mistaken for each other...

However I can already picture the lifetime of woe so please fill out the details for me...
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject:  

Kiddiwinkles in the mud! Heh...

Good start Alegria, just a couple of niggles:

Quote: the ground was finally dry enough to play outside in

I don't think you need this.

Quote: coveted Jame's happiness

This should be James'.

Quote: my friend,given enough

There should be a space after the comma, before given.

A promising start. I'm looking forward to seeing the story progress, and as you say it covers a lifetime, then maybe we follow the life of one or both of these boys, which should be interesting. :D

*holds breath* :shock:
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject:  

Well I'm glad you like it.

There's no descision point because it's only the prolougue. I just wanted to see what people thought and I'll write the first chapter soon.
Muaddib

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:  

*mutters about previews in wrong forums, but controls himself*
Alegria

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:  

Stop muttering Muaddib, i'm just a terrible person.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:  

Ah, don't worry about McDibsky, he's just being nitpicky. Something about stories stewing in the Previews forum so that they can develop better before being formally introduced into the Storygame forums.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:  

That was my idea as well.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:  

Well you're not going all crazy here like Muaddib and advocating for it in nearly every new storygame. Thankfully. LOL.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:  

I think putting them in the Previews thread is a good idea for newcomers and stories with no DP. I don't think everyone should be made to start there.

I said my piece in the Election thread.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:  

*sighs* I am not against the idea at all. I think I said something about it in another thread. It's just advocating for it is totally different from taking action. If I say anymore, I am going to go off and make a giant rant.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: I am going to go off and make a giant rant.

Oooh, go on! I haven't seen a Ravey rant! :D
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:  

I've been told to curb my enthusisam till the new mayor arrives. Then I plan to inundate the poor soul with proposals.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:  

Muaddib wrote: I've been told to curb my enthusisam till the new mayor arrives. Then I plan to inundate the poor soul with proposals.

LOL! Well, I am just glad I am not winning! ;)

Mind you McDibsky, even though you didn't vote for me I agree with your forum idea. I would also be happy to help out as a mod in it if this idea takes off.
Muaddib

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:  

Damn you found out.

Would you believe I chose Smee over you simply because he's a senior member? You both seemed equally 'receptive' and qualified, but I had to make a choice right?
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:  

Hehe. Don't you worry about it my red friend. I will be happy to see Smee take the role. His ideas (mostly) run alongside mine anyway.

Actually, I think the difference in all of our ideas are minimal.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject:  

Which may have something to do with the fact we all usd each others ideas to formulate our own.
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: Quote: I am going to go off and make a giant rant.

Oooh, go on! I haven't seen a Ravey rant! :D

You don't want to see me rant. My language turns more of into Saxon's once I get started. Anyways, it was more out of frustration due to some people's denseness.
Alegria

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:  

Of course, here we all share ideas and thoughts, it's like we aren't so much a city as a huge family.
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:  

Family? If we we are a family, I would just say that we would make for a very odd bunch. Like the Royal Tenenbaums.

Storygames Home -> A Glass Friendship - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1