Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 10: Dirty Deeds
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Yahoo: Mind over Magic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chainfire

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Chapter 10: Dirty Deeds  

Yahoo stopped struggling and thought carefully about his situation, he had managed to gasp in a big breath before being thrown in, and he had what he estimated to be three minutes before he started to need air. His legs and back were getting badly scratched up by the sharp rocks below him, but so were the ropes. He thrust his bound wrists down and grimaced against the pain on his hands. After awhile the ropes were loose enough that he could slip his hands out. He had one more minute to escape from this watery death trap and made use of every second of it, thrusting forward with his hands he finally broke the surface and started using powerful strokes to reach the shore.

Once there he looked back towards the hut, and he couldn’t believe how far he had been swept downstream; it was just a small blot on the horizon and the people in front of it like little ants. He decided to test and see if he was outside the boundary of the seal and did a simple hand movement. After watching his little dust devil for a bit he determined that he was outside of the seal’s control and prepared for a much larger spell. First he searched forward with his magic until he found the edge of the seal, then he looked along the edge for any flaws or imperfections in the spell. After about fifteen minutes of searching he finally found what he was looking for-a small defect in the seal, which was all he needed. Focusing all of his attention to that spot he put an invisible line between him and it. Then summoning up some extra energy he shot a huge bolt of force to the flaw and felt the seal break apart.

With this task done Yahoo started strolling back towards the hut. He was amused to see the looks of surprise on his captors’ faces and stated the obvious, “I seem to have passed your little test. Can I have that job now?”

“Well Robert, you’re a lot sturdier than you first appeared, but I still say you’re too wise for your own good,” Alfonse told him, “but you did pass our test, and it appears you’ve managed to break my seal. That’s all right my good man, plenty more of those in this business of mine.”

Yahoo could tell Alfonse was bluffing about that, but that he was also very impressed. “Well Alfonse, what is it you want me to do? It appears to be getting a little late now and any deals I make might be a little poor because of this late hour. Perhaps it would be better for me to start tomorrow.”

Alfonse and the other two chuckled and he said, “Right you are Robert, but I expect you to be here early tomorrow morning to meet your fellows and your customers.”

All the events of the day and evening had left Yahoo wiped, he didn’t know how he was going to get up early, go learn the finer points of magic dealing, and fight a battle all in one day, but he was going to do it all with a smile on his face. With both his mind and body tired beyond anything he eventually found his way back to his hotel and collapsed into his bed. It had never felt so comfortable.

Yahoo woke up the next morning when it was still dark outside and grudgingly got ready for his long day. He splashed some cold water on his face, trimmed up his beard a little, and donned his flashy clothes along with his traveler’s cloak. He grabbed a roll from the kitchen and started off for the hut.

When he got there he was to find it…bustling wasn’t quite the word…sure people were moving around but most were in the throes of ecstasy from magic or groveling at somebody’s feet for magic. He headed for the hut trying his best not to step on any of the emflikars on the ground, and giving some a reassuring touch on the head or hand when they reached for him. He was shocked to find that some of the people rolling around on the ground weren’t mages at all but normal folk, he could tell by the way they just seemed to pour the magic on them instead of using it in any certain way. Yahoo had heard that the richer more and more privileged of the normal population could get magic, but this was the first time he had ever witnessed it.

He finally reached the hut and let himself in. This time there were eight people inside the little hut and they all looked up suspiciously when Yahoo entered, but then Alfonse caught sight of who it was and put everyone at ease, “Ah, hello there Robert and welcome again. These are your fellow dealers and users of magic, and you shall get to know them over time. I’m going to leave the introductions up to you and them because I have some other matters that need my attention right now.” That said he went back to what he had been working with before and the others started to mill about and discuss.

Yahoo looked around until he found the man he had followed when he had stepped through the doorway. He made his way across the room towards the man greeting all of the other dealers gruffly and shortly, trying to sound tough, but when he got to Luna’s husband he couldn’t help but be cold and indifferent towards him. “Hey there,” Yahoo grunted while squeezing his hand as hard as he could, “my name is Robert. I don’t really care who you are; I’m just doing this to be ‘polite’ and get the informalities out of the way.” And with that Yahoo left the other man in confusion and found someone who could show him the ropes.

He found the burly woman from the other day and let her lead him around. Her name was Helga and she showed him the emflikars he would be taking care of. She didn’t give him any of their names, since most the time they were too high to respond to anything or anyone. “This one here is a normal and prefers just raw magic from an amulet. He usually gives six gold pieces for it; unless he wants it on the spot then he’ll give you a bill. Make sure to always check it first, and if it’s invalid don’t give him anything. This young woman over here only comes when she runs out of her own pleasure magic and buys one amulet, nothing else. You’ll start out with these two first, so we don’t overtire your abilities. I’ll leave you here with them and let you take care of them while I go look into something.” With that she left and left Yahoo standing over his two charges.

He looked down at them with a look of pity and understanding. He could still remember that day on the street when he had been in a similar state. Then someone coming up and hitting him across the face with an oddly shaped cane, but then she had come and helped him. She had been a sixteen-year-old angel at the time, and had only grown more beautiful over the years, as he had seen when he went through the magical doorway. She had nursed him back from his sorry state to that of a Jomakar, but then she had disappeared before he ever had a chance to thank her or even tell her how he felt. He wished he could have her here now so he could tell her how he felt, but wishes and whims didn’t get any work done and he had work to do before his battle that day. His clients were coming out of their high and starting to realize their surroundings, so he crouched down before them and helped them sit up. “Hello there,” Yahoo greeted them heartily, “I’m Robert and I’ll be your new patron now I suppose. Anything you need you just come to me and I’ll try and get it for you. I just hope you two realize what you’re getting yourselves into, this is some dangerous stuff if you’re not careful.”
“I don’t care,” the man retaliated, “I just come here to feel good and get away from my marriage. Now give me my amulet or I’ll take my business elsewhere.”

The woman just remained silent and stared at the ground. Yahoo’s heart went out to both of them and he did as they asked, going back to the hut and picking up two amulets for them. He spent the rest of the morning watching over them and making sure nothing happened to them. Then he realized how far the sun had moved in the sky. If he didn’t hurry he would be late for his battle! He ran back to the hut avoiding other dealers and emflikars and informed Alfonse of previous engagements. “Go then,” Alfonse said, “but come back same time tomorrow so someone can show you how to fill an amulet up for our customers.”

Yahoo ran as fast as he could to the lyceum and got there just in time to tell them he was there. They called him to the arena and he went out once again to that death trap. His opponent today was the lovely and seductive Saota, at least that’s what the announcer said. Yahoo didn’t see anything that lovely about her or that seductive, but apparently that was her main distraction in battle. She was in a type of desert garb that moved as easily as she did and revealed every fine detail of her feminine body, she brandished a short wand like it was some great sword, and her light fine hair seemed to be part of the wind as much blow in it.

Yahoo stood in a battle ready stance while Saota came dancing into the arena. There were many wolf whistles from the audience around them as she continued to dance all around. He watched her moves very carefully, especially her wand hand. When it started to trace a wind rune in the air Yahoo prepared himself by summoning up a small barrier. After her spell hit he decided to try the offensive on her, turning his barrier into a flying sword he sent it soaring towards her. Yahoo quickly found out that this was a mistake because she quickly reacted with a wind barrier of her own and sent the sword back towards him. He let the image of the sword drop and started to pace around her movements. She was obviously confused by his focus right now and summoned up a bunch of little whirlwinds to try and further distract him from the battle.

Yahoo decided that Saota’s dance had gone far enough and quickly came up with a way to stop her in her tracks. With a twist and turn of his hands he made the ground under her feet turn from dirt to glass right as she was doing a 360 degree turn. It was perfect; she landed straight on her rump and looked quite flabbergasted about it. Then she glared at Yahoo and wrote a much bigger rune in the air. He found himself staring at a giant wall of air that looked as strong as steel. She wanted to crush him against the wall! Yahoo needed to come up with something quick, or else he was about to be a very messy pancake on the arena wall.

Yahoo is about to be a pancake. What should he do to escape the giant wall of wind?
ninja baloon

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:  

Magic must defeat magic. Make another giant wall of wind and balance it out.
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:  

Cast some spell to make yourself extremely heavy, so the wind won't move you. Then end the spell when the wind stops.

Or grow yourself into the ground or something.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:  

Teleport around behind her and then... BAM!

Right in the face when she turns around.
SANGRARSUBIO

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: why not  

:lol: not just cast a spell upon her
Chainfire

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:  

This wind is very concentrated, hard as steel. Nothing is getting through it, and Yahoo would have to be very very heavy to not be blown back by it, or he could be well anchored down.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:  

Could he cast a spell to jump over it's effective height?

Then, if he judges himself right, he might be able to land both feet right in her face or drop a bomb on her.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:  

Chainfire wrote: This wind is very concentrated, hard as steel. Nothing is getting through it, and Yahoo would have to be very very heavy to not be blown back by it, or he could be well anchored down.

I was thinking of Yahoo making himself an unmovable wheight. Increasing his mass with a spell, but not his volume, therefore defying the law of mass=volume/density. He would be so heavy he couldn't move. Then he would need to do a thought-spell to disenchant himself.
Zeitgeist

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:  

I still support dstroying her face. Rather than stop a force it is wiser to deflect it. So perhaps he could cast a non-powerful spell to change the winds direction enough to save himself, and grant the oppertunity to maim her face.
ninja baloon

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:  

How about a piercing spell to split through the wall of air and charge straight at his foe. A jelly spell could be cast behind him to soften his impact aswell.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:  

Or he could use some sort of spell to rapidly tunnel into the ground and come up beneath her on the other side.

That could work too.
Zeitgeist

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:  

And copy the illiousionist. Gorin used that in a recent battle.. it worked but Yahoo is original.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:  

Didn't know that.

I don't read those other stories.
Ovrlndnsea

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:  

Well... She seemed to make the wall without much difficulty, so couldn't Yahoo make just as big a wall?

Cancel each other out.
ninja baloon

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:  

Guess who voted for the giant jelly.

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Yahoo: Mind over Magic
Page 1 of 1