Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 7 Comments
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Pillbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter, even if it does seem to have suddenly changed its way. The world he's in now seems to respond almost to thought, to imagination. Maybe if thinks he can do it, he can?

So therefore, try jumping to avoid the breath attack, and then maybe imagine himself a really, really big gun?
Chinaren

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:  

Another nice chapter Rav.

I think Lordy has the right idea here. If this is his domain, perhaps he can control it to some extent. If he can, then the possibilities are quite large.

If he can't. Er. Run! Or fly I suppose. :D
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:  

Wonderful chapter. I feel really drawn into this story, with all the detail you've described. And regular chapters too - you're spoiling us :D

I do think that he'll have some measure of control over this environment - but I don't think that will be enough to win the war for him. This beast obviously has control over it as well - and he doesn't want to get into an uber-battle that neither can win but that will hurt both of them.

Perhaps he and the beast aren't the only ones sharing this environment. I would suspect that there are other forces - for good - that have sway over this dimension as well.

Send forth a distress call mentally, as you battle the beast. See if you can make contact with any others who might aid you. It can't hurt, and it might help :D
Muaddib

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:  

Excellent Rav!

Ask the dragon why she is huring you? Start off with, "Mother what have I done to deserve this?"

In most cultures calling an aged female 'mother,' shows absolute respect.

Oh ad it's Richter scale, not rictor.
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject:  

Very good Rav, loved the imp-Kape fight! :D

One thing, that is just my interpretation, but it appeared that you wanted to present an oriental Dragon, rather than the western eqivalent. I'll give you a description of a Chinese dragon (from Wikipedia)

"the dragon's appearance is described as having a body of a snake; the scales and tail of a fish; the antlers of a stag; the face of a camel; and two pairs of talons of eagles; ears of a bull; feet of a tiger and the eyes of a demon"

They sometimes have "bat-like wings growing out of the front limbs, but most do not have wings". Just wanted to see whether you wanted a mythological Chinese dragon (it was influencing all the East Asian nations, lived under China) or just a generic Dragon. :D

I think that he should try and fight. If he realises that this isn't real, then he can try and dismiss the dragon as a figment of his imagination, the fire cannot hurt him, the talons couldn't rip paper, and he can do anything he wants. Use it to this advantage.

*holds breath* :shock:
Araex

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject:  

I think we have to trick it - if we can create our own body, why don't we do so again? Make hundreds of relicas of ourself to confuse it, whilst sending out the distress call. Somehow try to trap the Beast, or outsmart it.
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:  

Muaddib wrote: Excellent Rav!

Ask the dragon why she is huring you? Start off with, "Mother what have I done to deserve this?"

Oh ad it's Richter scale, not rictor.

I don't think we have time for that, Muaddib. The 'mother' as you put it, seems to be too deranged to listen to any sort of reason or logic.

I like Lordy's idea that we have control of this place, thus can wish for it. If we can combine that idea with Shady's suggestion that there are other beings in this universe, Mac could have a better front against the attack.
Smee

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject:  

Hey Rav - as others have said, excellent chapter :D

I agree with Soily, he needs to believe that he can't be hurt here. If the dragon could have killed him as easily as it seems straight away then why bother with all the show and roaring.

It seems she needs him to admit defeat to himself for her to win, so he needs to stay focused on this being his realm.

But he doesn't know he's in his own mind. He's going to have to learn more about this world and quickly. Experiment with moving himself, and altering his environment, hopefully it'll dawn on him that he has some control.

Happy Writing :)
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:  

Smee's post just reminded me of something. This dream world relates well to the real world Mack was once in. He was offered to experiment with his body, so he could have legs.

But now in this imaginary, dream world, he is forced to experiement. He doesn't have time to think about it. He just has to act and hope it helps.

Random moment of eureka. :D
Muaddib

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:  

Quote: I don't think we have time for that, Muaddib. The 'mother' as you put it, seems to be too deranged to listen to any sort of reason or logic.

I like Lordy's idea that we have control of this place, thus can wish for it. If we can combine that idea with Shady's suggestion that there are other beings in this universe, Mac could have a better front against the attack.

She's probably expecting Mack to retaliate in some way. Trying to endear himself to her might work?
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:  

Perhaps.

But I am still thinking that the beast is too set in her anger. From the first description of her, it would seem that she is already embroiled with her deep hatred, and the incompetance of the Imp only rose it a few degrees. Hatred is blind to logic and reason.
Muaddib

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:  

But we also see that she thinks the humans to be barbarians, perhaps a little respect might shock her.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:  

Of course, if my suggestion fails to work he's going to have to think of something else sharpish.
mightysloth

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:  

Wow, awesome chapter. I was on the edge of my seat during the fight. And I liked the realiistic method of counter attack Mack used. It is cosistent with his training. :cool:

I 'm also fascinated by the dream sequence. I don't see it as a dream sequence atoll. Its more akin to the spiritual realm. If this is the case, then I assume this is going to be a major battlefield in the war to come.

The entire situation is new to Mack. The science, as well as the spiritual are all unique and Mack does not have a reference point to draw from. I suspect that at this moment, there is nothing he can do in the spiritual realm. He lacks the knowledge to fight. That being said, I think that there is something very special about him. And the dragon will be unable to defeat him this round.

Awesome stuff keep it up!
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject:  

Wonderful chapter. And not completely unexpected. Science has taken humankind further from the mystical and unexplainable and into more logical understandings of our origins, but now those ancient beasts from before the measure of time are beginning to resurface. The war Mack has to fight is on a spiritual level rather than the physical plane.

The dragon he’s facing now is a creature from before, when the earth was without form, and void. The dragon is the darkness that moved upon the face of the deep, prior to the others coming to separate the darkness from the light.

Pain, unconsciousness, sleep at this point are his enemies- banishing him to the realm of the beast where he is vulnerable. He needs to seek out that pain. Force himself to remember the hurtful things. What’s that niggling doubt he keeps having about his legs? Focus on that. Will himself to experience the agony that his body is going through, and pull him from the clutches of the dragon until he’s better prepared to face it.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:  

Wow! Great responses! I like all of your thinkings! Each of you has suggested great possibilities. Let me address a few comments:

Fauna Wrote:
Quote: Science has taken humankind further from the mystical and unexplainable and into more logical understandings of our origins, but now those ancient beasts from before the measure of time are beginning to resurface. The war Mack has to fight is on a spiritual level rather than the physical plane.

You can fully expect the battle to enter both realms, as it already has given the Imp's fully physical assault on Mack. Good insights. I liked how you reflected Biblical quotations back at me. :)

Your suggestion is a very good one, but does he have time to try to focus himself back into his body? The flames are about to come!

Sloth Wrote:
Quote: I 'm also fascinated by the dream sequence. I don't see it as a dream sequence atoll. Its more akin to the spiritual realm. If this is the case, then I assume this is going to be a major battlefield in the war to come.

You assume there is a difference between the spiritual world and the dream world?

Rave Wrote:
Quote: This dream world relates well to the real world Mack was once in. He was offered to experiment with his body, so he could have legs.

But now in this imaginary, dream world, he is forced to experiement.

Hmmm... didn't see the parallel when writing this scene but you have a good point... pattern naturaly spirals in upon itself doesn't it.

Smee Wrote:
Quote: It seems she needs him to admit defeat to himself for her to win, so he needs to stay focused on this being his realm.

This may well be true, but what a dangerous way to find out! Even if he reckognizes this as a dream/spiritworld conflict where his faith and imagination are his armor, his conditioned nature is to believe that she is a threat. It may be said that our own world is nothing more... that only if we believe our situation leaves no alternative but death do we die... perhaps... its what the Aborigines believe anyhow. So the problem is HOW would Mack truly convince himself that he is undefeatable?

Araex Wrote:
Quote: I think we have to trick it - if we can create our own body, why don't we do so again? Make hundreds of relicas of ourself to confuse it, whilst sending out the distress call. Somehow try to trap the Beast, or outsmart it.

Assuming we have the power of our imagination at our disposal, this would be a good idea. However, if you want to try to trap the Beast, you'll have to give me a concrete strategy.

Soily Wrote:
Quote: loved the imp-Kape fight! :)
Thanks! That's quite a compliment coming from the author of Thesopholis, a masterful display of combat scene writing!

He also wrote:
Quote: I think that he should try and fight. If he realises that this isn't real, then he can try and dismiss the dragon as a figment of his imagination, the fire cannot hurt him, the talons couldn't rip paper, and he can do anything he wants. Use it to this advantage.

I'll need to know more about what 'anything he wants' would entail. To form a vote here, I'll need complete strategies. Beginning with beleiving himself immune to fire as a start, muting the talons... then what? And what if he ISN'T immune to the fire, despite what he immagines? Is not the image fire not convincing to the deepest part of the mind that it will hurt you? How much conditioning must he overcome to make these things REAL to him?

Also, to address the form of the Dragon... I did intend the western form and was aware of the difference. Her children have been varied in form throughout history, but she was more closely known to the memories of the Sumerians, the origin of the Western Dragon legends. In fact, Chinese Dragon legends may have spawned from the earlier Sumerians, but may have mutated in description over the course of centuries of no contact with the creatures, imagination filling in where memories began to fail.

Muad Wrote:
Quote: Ask the dragon why she is huring you? Start off with, "Mother what have I done to deserve this?"

He doesn't have much time for this as she is at the apex of her inhallation now. If he tries to buy time somehow... Furthermore, though the readers may feel her nature is too angry for this approach, it may be something he would try as he is unaware of some of the descriptions I previously gave. Still, he did get attacked by the Imp, and she did make reference to it... does he remember the battle?

Stoat Wrote:
Quote: I do think that he'll have some measure of control over this environment - but I don't think that will be enough to win the war for him. This beast obviously has control over it as well - and he doesn't want to get into an uber-battle that neither can win but that will hurt both of them.

Good point that she does have some presence here, and some influence. Is it possible that, being 'his' realm(if it is so personal), that he could have complete control? Or will he need help? If you were to send out a distress call, who would you imagine would respond? Would you be calling for anyone in particular? Of course, this would be in addition to a generic plea for help... Would he be able to convince himself that he COULD without some tool? Our modern man is wrapped up in a world of tools, believing that he can do little without them. He cannot fly without a plane, he can't radio for help without a 'radio' etc... Furthermore, he is limited to what he has seen the machine/tool to be capable of, for example, a radio cannot send a signal past a certain range etc... would he naturally think there would be a range limitation to a cry for help?

China Wrote:
Quote: If this is his domain, perhaps he can control it to some extent. If he can, then the possibilities are quite large.

Ok, so what possibilities would you have Mack imagine forth, assuming he can?

Lordy Wrote:
Quote: try jumping to avoid the breath attack
Keep in mind he has no surface to JUMP from... fly... perhaps... would he naturally believe himself to have a limit to how FAST he can fly? You proposed that he might be nearly unlimited in this environment... a gun is all you would have him use?

I wrote (a hint):
Quote: Aware of the risk, but blinded by rage, she decided to take matters into her own hands.

Alright then... this has been the most fun DP yet! I need some more definition/ concrete strategies to finalize a vote so lets keep up the discussion!
Muaddib

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:  

So he's sort of like in the training dojo in the matrix. Have him imagine himself in a fighter jet or something then.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:  

Would he know how to fly one? Video games perhaps...
Muaddib

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:  

Otherwise maybe he could turn himself into a dragon?
Solomon Birch

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:  

When I said anything, I was also kind of thinking about the Matrix dojo. He just to imagine that he is capable of it (something easier said than done) and it should work. So he should at least try; move at blinding speed away from the dragon and get behind her. Then try and demand to know what on earth is going on, why she is attacking him, etc.

And I'm glad you like the Thessy fight scenes, I try hard with 'em. :D
Ravagerrr

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:  

BTW... if someone could be so kind as to help me to understand why my graphic link at the beginning of this thread isn't working I'd be greatly indebted to them.
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:  

What, like this?

Actually, that was a pain in the butt to get to work. I don't why I've never been able to link to the IF photo album. I think the "=" sign bungles up the code, but that's my very uneducated guess. I had to get this image from:

http://www.camomojo.com/i/Soldier-Flag-Choppers-200x158.jpg

... It will work, but I get the impression that photobucket is a more reliable way to get your image stored for storygames.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

THANK YOU!!!!!!! I've had endless trouble trying to get this to work! :clap:
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:  

That's a great pic, by the way. I like the extra large hi-res version especially.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks... what do u think of the story, Lebby?
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:  

I'll tell you when I've read it! Yours has butted in line of the stories I need to catch up to since it became a close contender for Best All Round IFy. I've been reading your responses to comments before reading the chapters for some reason, which is how I found out about your link problem, but I'm just getting started on Chapter 2 right now.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:  

:) cool... welcome aboard Lebby!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Keep in mind he has no surface to JUMP from... fly... perhaps... would he naturally believe himself to have a limit to how FAST he can fly? You proposed that he might be nearly unlimited in this environment... a gun is all you would have him use?

When I said jump, I was actually referring to fly, or just move rapidly in any direction, not a physical jump as you pointed out.

And I'd still say think of a gun, because of who he is. A soldier, who has recently seen a whole load of really cool weaponry, and I suspect could be desperate to use them. I mean, it's not hard to imagine the type of gun that could kill a dragon, even if it wouldn't be possible in the real world due to various physical factors.

In the spiritual/dream world, there's a chance these things could just be ignored or by-passed, allowing him to make the biggest, ass-kicking gun ever.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:  

OK, I sorted through all the ideas... I had even more options layed out but I found there seems to be a limit to how many options I can put forth in the poll so... here they are. Sorry if anyone felt their ideas were left out. 2 days to vote y'all... get em in!
Ravenwing

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:  

I chose the playstation control idea. It was highly amusing for me when I read it. And also I am thinking that at some point, he's going to be asking for help . Maybe not immediately, but when he really needs it. Besides do we know of any one that will hear his mental distress call? It's been awhile since I read the the last chapter.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:  

I still like the idea of a big gun...
Ravagerrr

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:  

I did ask, earlier, WHO Mack should try to call for help... it would make a difference who he had in mind...
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:  

I think the archangels...someone accustomed to battle in a spiritual realm.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:  

Only one more day to vote!
Shady Stoat

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:  

Well, given that the red dot was probably Tibetan holy powers, still alive somewhere - I think he should call on the knowledge of his former dream and see if there's a friendly monk out there :D
Muaddib

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:  

I chose the fly around at blinding speed option.
Araex

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:  

Could this just be one of a series of tests by the people? Just a thought I had, as I can't remember the exact sequence of events that led to it. Seemed interesting though.

Storygames Home -> Pillbox
Page 1 of 1