Free online storygaming

Chapter Three: Caught in the Act
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject:  

Chapter Three: Caught in the Act

Ulliana stooped and picked up a handful of Fangrimn’s robes, slowly wiping the blood from her sword. She paused and considered her predicament. If the information she had coaxed from the pit boss was true then she was in a worse situation than she had realised. She had been hunted before – and many people wanted her dead – but to the best of her knowledge this was the first time she was wanted by the heir to the throne. If the Crown Prince so desired he could order the whole town burnt to the ground in an attempt to chase her out. King Mutulum had been sick and dying for several years now and his eldest son had taken over the running of the kingdom.

All he was waiting for to assume complete tyrannical control over the country was the death of his father. He had already been confirmed ruler by the Council of the Eight and lived in luxury in the palace of Akbar, five miles west of Alphbaks. She did not know why he was after her but it would not be wise to be caught by one such as him. His personal guard – the Knights of Annerire – were well known to be ruthless in all things as well as being remarkably skilled warriors and soldiers.

Coming to a decision Ulliana rifled through the papers on Fangrimn’s desk, taking a few and shoving them into a cloak pocket. She took a bottle of oil from a mantle piece and smashed it over the body, glass sprinkling about and oil spreading over him. She reached out a plucked a torch from the wall, its flickering flames making her eyes shine and twinkle. With a smile she flung it to the floor, dancing back out of way of the spreading flames.

Leaving her hood down she strode confidently towards the door of the office, and flung it open, stopping short as she came head to head with over a half dozen of the town watch. Obviously they had been alerted by the few cries Fangrimn had managed to get out before being winded. Her sword was in her hand in a flash, even as she was diving to the right to avoid a bolt from a crossbow. There was a ripping sound as it tore through her cloak and embedded itself in the wall behind. Ignoring it she struck forwards, blade flashing like a snake as it penetrated through one guard’s defence to take him in the neck. Blood sprayed from the artery, drenching the right side of her face. Complete with the cat’s eyes and teeth this gave her the appearance of a daemonic being and the remaining soldiers stepped back in fear.

All except for one who stood their ground. Dark armour adorned their body, with a long red cloak fastened to the shoulders. Seeing their champion hold, the soldiers pressed forwards once more. Ulliana defiantly fought back but was overwhelmed by the weight of numbers. Two more bodies lay on the floor before she was finally laid out by a blow to the head with a sword hilt. As she lay there, vision dimming, the Knight of Annerire removed its helm, to reveal the long hair of a blond woman, who smiled down at Ulliana before blackness overtook her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ulliana awoke in a cell, moonlight shining on her face. She remained still, not giving any onlookers any clue to her awareness, and sniffed the air. There was a damp and dusky scent to it – unique to a cellar of a dungeon. Slowly and cautiously she sat up and rubbed her head.

“You’re awake are you then?”

A voice startled her. A man was sitting in the cell next to hers, swaddled in a long grey threadbare cloak.

“I thought you might stay asleep forever. You’ve been lying there for two days. This is the prison of Alphbaks just so you know. Though I’m sure you can recognise it for yourself.”

Ulliana ignored the man and climbed to her feet. She reached back into her mouth, fiddled for a moment, and withdrew a metal object. She spat blood and looked at it.

“It was worth losing a tooth to get this. Saved my life many a time.” She knelt by the door and placed the ‘tooth’ to the lock and began to scratch away. Slowly but surely a line appeared in the lock, swiftly deepening as she continued. Before too long the door was open and she stepped out.

“Wait. Let me out too,” implored the man next door. She ignored him and began to stride towards the stairway. “I know where your weapons are” he continued desperately.

Her foot on the stairs she paused and considered him. If he was telling the truth it would be useful to know exactly where to go instead of searching through the entire place. On the other hand it would be an extra person to look after and protect.

So - what should she do? She obviously needs to find her weapons but should she rely on help from this stranger? And if so what should she do next - escape to another realm or hunt down the Crown Prince? Only you* can decide.

*And you, you and you.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:  

Nice chapter.

I'd say release the man and get him to show you where the weapons are kept. At that point, he's expendable. If he can look after himself, fine, but you won't have to do it for him. You can always split with him if he proves a nuisance afterwards. And if he tries to betray you, he's probably not going to stand a chance, whether you're armed or not :D

After that, track down the Prince. You don't seem the sort to run away from trouble.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:  

ok, im not going to be putting a poll up yet, as if its anything like last time you'll all vote the same way

if we get a disagreement i'll add it though
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject:  

Nice chapter. starting to get hooked

yeah, i say let him out, get him to show you where your stuff is and then forget him. if theres more weapons or something for him, all the better as he might be able to help.
Smee

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject:  

Another one - 3 chapters in 2 days. Give us a chance here. :shock:

You'll get more readers if they have a chance to join in from the beginning. The more they have to catch-up with the less likely they'll start commenting.

* Wanders off to read the second chapter of the day.*

* Wanders back again*

It is a good chapter. :)

Unless you have amazing weapons, that have magical abilities or something it's not worth worrying about them. Ignore the prisoner and ignore your weapons unless you come across them. Just get out of there, you can always 'find' more weapons later.

Happy Writing. :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:  

im just writing them as i think them up

and they dont take particularly long to write or anything

and...well

*hides in corner*
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:  

Take the prisoner with you to get your weapons then go find out why the price wants you dead.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject:  

*grins* Worry not, Lordy. I got told off for writing too fast when I first got here too.

Now that I've settled down somewhat, though, I can afford to be completely hypocritical about it, and agree with Smee. I've let my stories run into discussion mode for a while longer, and ended up getting whole threads of discussion and extra options that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

If you're bored when you don't write, how about chucking a linear story up there? Nobody complains no matter how fast you write those! :D
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject:  

ok - theres been a disagreement

so polls up for one day
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:  

yay! my vote is the 1st. and my vote has the highest percentage!

wow, i need a better sense of humour....
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject:  

yes you probably do

:D
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:  

Voted to keep with us to help :)
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject:  

After some deliberation I voted to take him with. What old maid/cook Stoat says is right, you can always do away with him later.

Great story, loving the babe on babe action! ;) Oooh, groovy baby!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:  

yes indeed. after the austin powers inpression has been driven from our minds i will reveal the next stage of my plan

and the reason i was posting lots eariler is because its monday's and tuesdays i get the chance to write

i'll try to get the next one up tomorrow or over the weekend though

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Page 1 of 1