Free online storygaming

Chapter Four: In the Darkness of Shadow
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:  

Chapter Four: In the Darkness of Shadow

Ulliana considered the prisoners words. It was true that knowing where her weapons where would keep from having to search for them. And having an extra pair of arms with her could be useful – either to help fight or to use as a distraction. And she was confident in her abilities to overpower him should he turn on her. She sighed and crouched by his cage door and set to work.

Scraping the last few pieces of metal from the door she pushed inwards and broke through. From within the cage he seemed different. More confident almost. As if he was at one with the world and what ever it brought. He stood, and there was a rattle of chains, binding his wrists to the floor. Almost apologetically he shrugged and gestured towards them. As she moved towards him he looked at her with startling blank grey eyes. Before long his chains lay on the floor. Gathering his cloak around him he strode towards the door and turned left.

“Your weapons will be in the East Tower for processing. You haven’t been here long enough for them to be dealt with yet.” He pressed on, ignoring her querying glance and her murmured question about how he knew so much. The corridor was damp and musky, the crack paving stones shifting slightly as they moved across. The torches that lit the area flickered with a low breeze as they passed. They came to a stairway, its steps unshaven and uneven. Like a shadow the man ghosted up them, his footsteps nigh on undetectable even to Ulliana’s keen ears.

After ascending several flights of stairs he paused just before the opening to a corridor. Ulliana waited a few moments, the heard the sound of footsteps and voices approaching towards them. With a grim smile he motioned for her to stay back. As the guards turned round the corner he flew into action. His right hand flew downwards into the first mans jugular vein and before encircling his chin as his left hand shot around the back of his skull. A sharp twist and side-step brought him behind the second guards while the first fell to the floor his head at an odd angle. He brought his forearm around the remaining guard’s neck and lifted with his chest, shutting off the oxygen to his brain. Within heartbeats both guards were lying still on the floor. The whole encounter had lasted less than five seconds from beginning to conclusion and neither of the pair had made a sound.

“Their alertness was appalling. If I was in command here I would have them both executed” said the grey cloaked man as he continued up the stairs. Ulliana followed, watching him a lot more carefully now, suddenly worried that she might have been a little overconfident in her own abilities to handle him.

As they reached the top of the tower the pair slowed down. Ulliana pushed past him, determined to make sure she was armed before him at the very least. She kicked open the wooden door at the top of the stairwell with her right foot, her metal tooth launching from her hand at the same moment to fly into the neck the clerk scribbling away at his desk. She bounded into the room like the cat she was in part, and ignoring his death rattle, found and drew her black sword. The white runes etched into it were covered in blood. Evidently the soldiers hadn’t been bothered to even clean the blade.

“Well, that’s one way to do it,” the man in grey smiled as he stepped into the room. “If you didn’t have their attention before you’ll have it now.” He began to walk over to a chest at the far side of the room, which had a long straight sword perched on top of it.

Ulliana looked at him in alarm. The sword was evidently his, and after seeing what he could do to men while still unarmed she was not sure if she wanted to examine his prowess with a blade. Especially not at this close a range. Should she let him arm himself, and trust to their prior agreement? Should she stop him and find out more about him, discover who he is and where he’s from, as well as why he was imprisoned? Or should she just attack him now, forsaken their agreement and hope he doesn’t show the same talents against someone with a blade in their hands as the guards he had eliminated in a few seconds downstairs?

choose wisely young mortal, the fate of the world depends upon it
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject:  

ok, scrap what i said earlier - i got bored

apologies for any mistakes in spelling - i just wrote this in the past half hour and its now about 3:30am.

smee - could you please delete the old poll so i can add this one

thankees
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject:  

Nice nice nice!

He din't attack her before, and he seems on the level. Of course, he could be 'planted' there to find out more about her before terminating her.

Anyway, the first priority has to be to get out. After that we can worry about this man. Be careful with him, reveal as little as possible and find out as much as you can.

Looking forward to the next chapter already! Later today? Tomorrow? :D ;)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject:  

probably not today, as people need a chance to read it
look for it tomorrow or on sunday

speaking of which - when's yours going up next?
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject:  

Hehe, I was only joking!

I am generally quite busy on the weekends. I am fairly busy today actually, but now I am just waiting for someone to come for a meeting, so a few moments free.

I plan on writing Arena round 1 playoffs next, hopefully today, or over the weekend if I get chance. I want to do the next chapter of my sci-fi story as well (507) but I need to get a 'run up' to that one as it is quite complex. GOto go.
Smee

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject:  

I think next Wednesday would be a good time for your next chapter.

And please PM me if you want a poll deleted. I tend to miss the requests in posts. Preferably with a link in the PM, although if it's in your Sig you don't need to worry.

I'll try and read the chapter today.

Happy Writing. :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject:  

why next wednesday? thats ages away. tuesday at the latest
Shady Stoat

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject:  

Great chapter! You've pulled it up another gear :D

Now let's see... what to do...

You've already got enough enemies. You don't need one more. I think it's time to learn a lot more about this ex-prisoner, but not in an antagonistic way. Find out whether you can work together towards the same goals (either for now, or long term), and if you can't, go your own separate ways. He hasn't made a move against you yet, after all.

Until you're out of the castle, at least, I would work with him, if at all possible. He sounds potentially useful :cool:
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject:  

Nice chapter :biggrin:

I agree with the others that we need to get out of here and the former commander of the tower could be a huge asset to you in your escape.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:  

all right, poll's up for two days.
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject:  

Voted for letting him get his weapon. This doesn't seem like the time or place to chat with those bodies lying around waiting to be found...
Solomon Birch

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject:  

Exciting chapter! i voted to talk to him and find out some more info, as she will then know if hes gonna be loyal or not, and we might get to hear a cool backstory.

And i wanna see him use that blade on some poor unsuspecting guard!
Vampireidiot

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject:  

WEll, I've just caught up with everyone else.

It's a great story, keeps you hooked :biggrin:

I say she should let him get the wepon so they can get out quickly without being seen. If she does ask questions he may kill her because he may suspect something. Plus he may tell her anyway if they decide to work together as he will probably begin to trust her. :D

can't wait for the next chapter :biggrin:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject:  

ok, i find myself in BW's position now

if anyone wants to put in a final vote just tell me please?
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:  

Well, the two are not mutually exclusive, so you could do both!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject:  

ahh, um yes

now why didn't i think of that

starting it now - expect it by the end of the day - or early tomorrow
Solomon Birch

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject:  

thats true. you could just combine the choices and no one would notice.

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Page 1 of 1