Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter Six: Kagemusho
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject:  

well, due to bullying from some of my esteemed collegues - other authors - (*cough*Chinaren*cough*) i have roused myself from my sickbed to post up the next chapter)

Chapter Six: Kagemusho

Ulliana sighed. As much as she hated it she knew Kagemusho was correct. She could still feel the fever* in her body, the clammy sweat that covered her skin. There was no way she could hope to go against the Crown Prince now in her condition. She grimaced, and scooped a mouthful of the gruel into her mouth, surprised to find it bland and tasteless. As she ate, she informed him of her decision, to hide out in the city while waiting to recover. He accepted this with a nod, as if it was the decision he had expected.

“I know somewhere we can go,” he spoke in his quiet knowing voice. “An acquaintance of mine has a house nearby where we will not be search for.”

“Hw can you be so certain? The guards will not let us go easily.” Her question was pulled from her lips, her desire to recover from her illness wrestling with her need for independence.

“It is a leper-house.” At her sharp intake of breathe he nodded. “The Phœnician disease** is not contagious, do not fear. We will be safe there and the soldiers will not search for us.”

With no other option Ulliana was forced to give her consent, before losing consciousness once more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* of course - as soon as I write a story where the main character is ill I too fall ill
**it was the Phoenician sailors who carried the disease from Egypt to Syria

She opened her eyes to see the interior of a well lit room, a strange man bending over her, his hand on her chin. He brandished a knife and brought it sweeping down to her throat. It was all she could do to raise an arm to block the blow and cried aloud in pain as it scraped down her right forearm. He spat in frustration, and pushed down on the blade handle, her strength swiftly waxing. Spots danced in front of her eyes as the blacked edge came towards her face. Inches before it reached her the pressure vanished, and the blade flew into the air. There was a sharp crack as the strangers wrist broke, followed by his elbow. As he fell to the floor Kagemusho’s face appeared.

He glanced over her to check the extent of her injuries, before bending down to take the knife. He threw it aside; out of the assassins reach should he regain consciousness. Then he took hold of Ulliana’s injured arm and sighed.

“I did not want to do this, but it appears even this house is not safe for you.” He bowed his head, and Ulliana felt a cooling sensation spread down her arm and through her body. Within minutes the arm felt normal, the wound healed over. The fever that had wracked her body was gone and her head felt normal again.

“I feel I must explain something to you. I am one of the Hoeders*, a user of the De Macht*. The order have sensed a time of change approaching, and I have been assigned to see that the True Path occurs. I have healed your injuries and your sickness is gone. It is no longer safe in the city. You must leave. Whether or not you go after the Prince is up to you, but I must warn you he is more powerful than you know. More than that I can not say.”

*Guardians of the Path - a mysterious order surronded in secrecy
**the power behind the universe - some call it fate, some call it luck

If only I could be cured that simply - it'd be great. Right then, Ulliana is faced with another decision here, whether to take Kagemusho with her or leave him behind, and to flee or go to confront the Prince now. Make your decisions and suggestians now.
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:  

I doubt that a strangers warning would be enough to turn Ulliana from her course. But it might make her distrustful of the stranger and decide to strike out on her own.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject:  

I think Ulliana would want Kagemusho where she could see him. If he's a friend, he's a useful one. If he's an enemy, he's unlikely to leave her alone, whether or not she tries to ditch him.

I agree with Ingro, though. She'll still want to go after the Prince.

Good work from your deathbed, Lordy! :)
Solomon Birch

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject:  

ok, that was a strange turn of events.

I think she should take Kagemusho and flee, otherwise shes gonna die.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject:  

Quote: well, due to bullying from some of my esteemed collegues - other authors - (*cough*Chinaren*cough*) i have roused myself from my sickbed to post up the next chapter)
Damn right! Can't let a little bit of black plague get you down! ;)

Well, let's see. I don't know. I am inclined to agree with the others, she would probably be rather wary of old K-musho, but she may consider his warning. Perhaps she would seek further clarification on the Prince's powers...
Black Widow

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:  

Well, for starters, only a friend or a REALLY diabolical evil guy would heal someone like that, so take him with you!

And I wouldn't say go for the prince now! She needs to learn more about this brotherhood and it seems to me that those black knights will give her a SERIOUSLY hard time on the battlefloor!

Maybe she should try and get Kagemusho to train her up some!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:  

wow - so you finaly caught up BW

really diabolical evil guy - you know me to well, not that i'd do that here - honest
dragon_fire372

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:  

Nice, I just finished reading this. I'm liking it. :smile:

I don't think she should get rid of this guy just yet. He obviously knows more than he lets on. Get out of the city and demand some answers! Maybe the two of you can eventually take on the princey-guy...
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject:  

ok, poll is up
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:  

WOOO 1st vote! Voted to leave the city with Kagemusho in tow
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject:  

'ted.
Smee

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject:  

Hey Lordy,

I've caught up and I'm enjoying the story.

Some random strange things thoughout the chapters - but I can only copy one at a time, so only one mentioned here.

Quote: They came to a stairway, its steps unshaven This may be a technical term meaning rough or something, but you read unshaven, and you think hairy. I don't think it works well here.

I've voted to stay with Kagemusho - even if he is an enemy, it seems like someone to try and befriend.

Happy Writing. :)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:  

yeah, thats what it means (i think at least)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:  

um, yeah

that was me
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:  

Voted
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:  

apologies for not putting up a chapter this week, but i do most of my writing at school, which is closed for today and tomorrow

this is due to the explosions near hemel, and i'm not sure how long it'll be shut for

just hold on
Smee

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:  

Wow - you're near that ! :shock:

Apparently the explosion was heard in Holland :shock:
Shogun

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject:  

This is my first post in this story but that doesn't mean I haven't read it all the way through! :biggrin:

Excelent! You got me hooked on the first chapter, or rather the middle of it anyways. Keep it up Night!

About the descion, I think she should take (whats his nam) with her. He has the power to heal wounds and from what I've read in an awaesome fighter and swordplayer. She would be in big trouble if he isn't there to back Lion-Girl up.

Awaiting the 7th chapter with relish!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject:  

well i don't know about holland smee, but i know the house shook when it happened
Black Widow

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:  

Voted ^.^

It woke me up at 6 in the morning. I feel kinda guilty about it now because after it happened I just figured something had fallen over in my house and went right back to sleep :P
Smee

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:  

I knew I wasn't going crazy.

Holland indeed. :shock:
Shogun

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject:  

Whoa....200 miles!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject:  

well, the poll is pretty one sided, so im going to start up on the story now. once again i appear to be writing in the early hours of the morning - but such is life.

and incase anyone wonders i'm still playing the 'be sick game'

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Page 1 of 1