Chapter Ten: Journey Eastwards
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:  

Chapter Ten: Journey Eastwards

Ulliana stared into the eyes of Kagemusho. Or, rather, into where his eyes would be if they were not covered by his cloth bandage. Her own emerald jewels flashed, as her tail twitched menacingly. Looking away from him, and towards the Prince, sprawled lazily sipping from the decanter of wine.

“You truly expect me to believe this old wives tail? Expect me to believe that this sword – which has shown no signs of supernatural power – contains the ability to summon forth daemonic armies? That it was once wielded by a Rakshasa such as myself, bar the fact that he could breathe flames? And that he had the strength of a hundred men? My people have no need for such tricks and…and…powers. We are warriors in our own right – this sorcery we leave to humans, and to the full Aversarre*.” Once more she turned to leave, only to have Kagemusho stop her once more.

“But what if it is true? What if you could really have the power in your hands? What if the most powerful artifact known to the people of Dartain could even now lie in your grasp? What would you do then?” Turning to face the Prince, he smiled bitterly. “We will take our leave now – if you wish to kill your brother do it yourself, do not recruit her.” Before Ulliana could protest, he had pulled her to the door, collecting his staff along the way.

She had just time to take one last look at the expression on Prince Anvei. Instead of the anger she expected to find there, he wore an almost complacent look, as if considering how the latest turn of events could be used to his advantage.

*Aversarre – One of the names for the Elves. They live all over the known world, but often live in forest. Large contingents are known to live in Ind.

They made it out of the castle without difficulty, Kagemusho swiftly disarming the lone guard they met along the way, and leaving him slumped against the floor. As they made their way back to Alphbaks, Kagemusho continued to try and prize an answer from her about her decision.

“But I’m telling you – it cannot be this sword. It has remained in my family for generations. The sword the Prince spoke about was lost somewhere in Franco, along with all who were with him – how could it possibly have returned to Somalia?”

“The point is irrelevant. What is at stake however, is not whether you believe it is the sword, it is whether anyone else believes it is that sword. As long as you have it, you are in danger. You cannot simply run away, and hope that none of this will follow you.”

“Fine – what would you suggest? I just go to the Desert, and spend months searching in vain for a village that no longer exists? I just surrender myself and turn the sword in? Because neither or those sound like options I am prepared to make.”

“If you truly want my opinion, then I will give it. However, this is your quest – your…destiny, if you will. The sword is yours, and it is you that the Crown Prince is after. You could remain here in Alphbaks, trawl through the Great Libraries for information on the blade. Or you could head to Somalia or Franco – find out the legends from your people, and from the descendants of the Vespin. Otherwise you could head eastwards to the City of Myst. Learn about this blade by searching in the Tower of Hoth, from the Sorcerers and Mages. The great philosopher’s of Dartain also live there by and large, great historians and thinkers. If you truly want my opinion, I would head to Myst, but the final decision is yours.”

It did not take long for Ulliana to make up her mind. By the time the pair stealthily made their way across the walls of the capital city, she had a plan already formulated. Staying only to requisition a few supplies, they soon rode out of the city on the recently purloined mounts, and set off towards the rising sun. The journey to Myst was several days hard ride, days in which they would have to keep their eyes peeled for bandits and highwaymen.

The Once Cursed City of Danzig lay along their route to Myst. Wary of the dangers posed by travelling on the open road, Kagemusho suggested that they spend one night there. The sole rest would allow the horses’ time to feed without pressure, as well as giving them time to restock their provisions, which after three days on the move would be running low. What he did not mention, though Ulliana knew he thought of, was the dangers of travelling at night in the lands surrounding the cursed city. Though it was many years since the wraiths had been driven from the land, the sorcerers were still upon occasion called in to investigate disappearances, and more than once had judged it to be the work of one of these black creatures.

Ulliana had lived in Dartain for nigh on ten years, and in all that time she had only visited Danzig once. When she first journeyed northwards from Somalia, and passed through the Sutain Desert, Danzig had been the first city she had encountered. At that point, it was the largest city she had ever seen. More people called this place home then she had ever met in her entire life. Fearing the press, the throng of humans going about their daily lives, she had swiftly fled, and spent a sole night outside, alone with the dark.

But the dark was not empty. Like shadows, the denizens of the night came. Gliding silently through the black, figures shrouded in shadow had swept towards her, broken wings still and menacing. Unaware of the danger surrounding her, Ulliana had tried in vain to sleep, knowing not that the moment she did so would mean her death. It was a mage who saved her. Clad in brilliant white, he had stridden out of the darkness, the dazzling light radiating from his staff clearly illuminating the ethereal creatures. Hissing fearsomely, they had backed away nonetheless, retreating from the blazing light source in their midst.

The rest of the night had been but a blur, but she could still remember the abject terror that filled her that night. With a sudden shake of her head, she snapped awake. Night was swiftly approaching, and they still had many miles to go before reaching Danzig. Still slightly dazed from the nap, she looked around. Kagemusho was riding in front of her, expertly controlling his steed through the rocky terrain that made up the Danbaks Road. Her mount followed his lead, careful to stay away from the deep crevice that ran most of the length between Alphbaks and Danzig. No one knew whence it had came from, but the crack in the ground was nearly three foot wide, and none had ever seen all the way to its depths.

A small rock rolled down towards them, the only warning she had before the trap was sprung. With a cry, three men threw themselves out from behind the shelter of a cluster of rocks, and dashed towards the mounted pair. Before they had taken five paces, she had put an arrow to the string and loosed, sending it flying through and into the chest of the nearest bandit. He staggered, tearing the arrow free, and dropping to the ground, coughing profoundly. The two continued forwards, the loss of their companion leaving them undaunted.

Kagemusho slide from his steed, his robes, flying in the wind as he strode towards the nearest vagabond. Ducking a swipe from a scimitar, he brought his right arm sweeping towards the man’s groin. As he doubled up in pain, he slammed the same elbow onto his neck, simultaneously lifting his right knee to connect with the man’s ribs. As a final touch, he took the man by the chin with his right hand, pushing away while grabbing hold of his hair with his left and twisting sharply. There was an audible crack, and where a hardened warrior had stood a mere second before, now a corpse lay across the stoney floor. His face grim, Kagemusho turned towards the opponent Ulliana had fired upon in the opening seconds of the fight.

Ulliana on the other hand was having difficulties. Without time to notch a second arrow to string, she had dropped her bow, scrabbling for her sword as she did so. She managed to bring it to bear, just in time to parry the oncoming blow. Her horses reared up, whinnying noisily. Its hooves caught the man around the head, who fell stumbling to the ground. In panic, the inexperienced steed edged backwards, its rear legs just edging over the crevice edge, and tumbling down. As the weight of the beast dragged her downwards, Ulliana leapt from the saddle, desperately stretching for a handhold. Her sharp talons dug into the hard packed dirt, and she caught, hanging by one arm over an immeasurable drop.

As she hung there, the weight of her body slowly beginning to tell, she contemplated throwing away the sword. But if it truly was the sword of legend, what a fool would she be to simply destroy such a valuable artifact. Just as she was about to drop it regardless, the body of the third bandit flew over her. Moments later, Kagemusho’s bearded face came into view, the bandage around his eyes, stained with blood. He stretched down a hand, and latched onto hers, pulling her up and back onto safe, solid land.

When she had got her breathe back, she looked around in dismay. They had only one mount left, the small black steed that Kagemusho had chosen for himself. Half of their provisions had fallen down the Crack – as it was known – and been lost to them. All three bandits were dead, and there was no sign of any equipment they had left.

“We,” started Kagemusho, stating the obvious. “Have a problem.” It was very true. With just one horse between them, the extra weight would vastly reduce their chances of making it to Danzig by nightfall. One of them could take the mount and ride their alone, but there were still risks from bandits to worry about. Or they could take shelter here, secure in the knowledge that they were safe from bandits, but what about the mysterious wraiths – who could come at them no matter what they did.

Ulliana bit her lip, and thought hard about the problem.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:  

Travel together at all costs. There is strength in numbers. This is also a good time to get to know her partner better.

Darkness itself won't hurt them. Light a torch.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Clad in brilliant white, he had stridden out of the darkness, the brilliant light

A couple of times you have words repeated several time, like the above sentence. It would read better if you changed them. Perhaps dazzling?

Hooves, not hoofs!

Now then, one has to ask. Where have these bandits come from? They must have a base, with provisions and maybe horses too. Perhaps try following their tracks and recover some needed supplies?
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:  

Cheers Chinaren, changed.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:  

You are up late aren't you?
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:  

Just a little bit - it's not even 5am yet.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:  

Then I should say you are up early. I just had my lunch* here!

*I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I felt like sharing.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject:  

No, it is late - I'm about to go to bed.
Ravenwing

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:  

Like I promised, I read this story Lordy. I am surprised I didn't catch on to this when it was first posted....It's actually quite well-written and certainly has the plot twists well placed.

I say we should go together. Camping for the night to be potential fodder for wraiths is not a good idea. At least together we have some sense of security.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: It's actually quite well-written and certainly has the plot twists well placed.

You sound surprised.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:  

Good chapter Lordy. I'm glad this storygame picked up again :D

I think Ulliana should take the horse and get to the city, where she can get provisions and another horse sorted by the time Kagemusho arrives. He's already amply demonstrated that he can look after himself. Of course, he might do a 'Gandalf' on us and decide that something more important has come up, but that's a risk we'll have to take. It's Ulliana's quest, she's the one in danger, she's the one that has to be kept safe from the wraiths. :D
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:  

They's gonna die! :-o

One thing:

Quote: His face grin

That doesn't sound right. Maybe A grin spreading across his face. :D

I think that they should take it in turns to ride the horse and get as near to the city as they can. Light a torch, like Rav said, to help keep them awake and fend off the darkness.

And run like the wind if things start getting spooky! :?

*holds breath* :shock:
OldJoe

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject:  

Ah came over but ah reckon ah's gone and missed the vote yessir.

Still, all told it's a mighty fine story young Lord. Ah will try and keep on up in the next poll.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject:  

Actually Soily, it was meant to read grim, not grin at all.

And what do you mean by take it in turns to ride the horse? Surely they'd both have to ride or be left behind.
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:  

One leads it while the other rests on it's back. Slow, but faster than just walking. Anything to get nearer the city and keep up their strength so their less likely to need sleep when they near the dangerous time of night.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:  

Does anyone know why the screen is wider here than normal? It doesn't have any pictures or what-not, but for some reason extends beyond the normal screen.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:  

It doesn't for me. Have you tried relaunching your web client? Or are we just using different software?

Firefox, btw :)
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:  

Shady Stoat wrote: It doesn't for me. Have you tried relaunching your web client? Or are we just using different software?

Firefox, btw :)

Opera, wups Firefoxes ass. ;)
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:  

If you say so. *watches as the conversation flies right over her head*

Oooh, look! A tweety-bird!
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:  

LOL! :lol:
Ravagerrr

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject:  

Unless a horse is cantering or galloping, the horse walks at roughly the same speed of a large person. I think both would be able to easily keep up with the horse on foot unless they wish to canter or even gallop.

A horse in a canter can go a ways, but with both of them on its back would still tire quickly. In a gallop, the horse would definately tire before the forest edge was reached with both on his back. You would want to keep this kind of speed fresh for the horse if pursuit DID in fact occur, which we don't know for sure would happen yet.

Best to walk, as Soily explained, until danger shows itself, then use the horse for the necessary burst of escape speed, or at least speed enough to find a good defensible position before stopping. Otherwise, the horse would be exhausted by the time his speed was really needed.
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:  

Firefox is the best browser by far. That's final. :-x ;)
Ravenwing

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:  

lordofthenight wrote: Quote: It's actually quite well-written and certainly has the plot twists well placed.

You sound surprised.

Well, let's just say I was a bit disinclined to read this story by its title...A rule I know, one should not follow.

And yes, Soily, Firefox is the best. I can't stand IE. But unfortunately most schools use it.. :-o
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject:  

Solomon Birch wrote: Firefox is the best browser by far. That's final. :-x ;)

Sorry, Opera wups Firefox. Firefox just does what Opera has been doing for ages, and doesn't have Mouse Gestures.

IE doesn't even come into the equation.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject:  

I personally use and like Internet Explorer, though I can't really see the difference between them.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:  

Actually, the main difference between Opera and Firefox is mouse gestures. If I want to go back a page in opera (and I do this a lot) then I just hold the right mouse button and move the mouse left. once you have become used to this system everything else is just so clunky and slow.

Otherwise Firefox is fine. Except I can't seem to get the tabs to the bottom of the page, where I like 'em.

But enough... :off:
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:  

Caught up Lordy.

Exciting story. Though I don't really like your lines dividing the page. They look shabby, couldn't be a bit more careful could you?

An Opera is truly the best.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:  

What would you reckonmend instead then McDbisky?
Ravenwing

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:  

I personally don't mind the spacing for this story. I think they look pretty even to me. :?
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:  

No, I think it is okay.

Are we going to have a poll LotN?
Muaddib

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:  

I dunno, try underscore instead. It looks smooth.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject:  

Well, the poll is up, but each option seems to have two slots, which is very strange.

Oh well, no matter which option you choose, I will add the identical ones together.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:  

And McDibsky - I've replaced the ********'s with __________'s, tell me what you think.

Infact, you can all do that - cheers.
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject:  

I couldn't choose between "They both share a horse" no1. and "They both share a horse" no.2. Eventually I flipped a coin and went with no.1

Uh huh, underscore looks much better.
Smee

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject:  

Just reading the chapter.

The horizontal line was making the screen extra wide which I guessed you wouldn't want.

So I've shortened it (any longer for some reason it just makes the screen wider), and indented it with [list] tags. Is that any good ?

I'll be back with a comment shortly.

Happy Writing :D

EDIT:

Good chapter. :)

I've voted for walking on, with the horse ready for a burst of speed.

If they get attacked then the closer they are to the town the more likely help could arrive to help - but they need the horse as rested as possible when the time comes.
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject:  

Voted for walking and keeping the horse ready. Never know when pesky shadies will appear... :-o

*holds breath* :shock:
Ravenwing

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:  

Going for the walking options. Danger is not iminent quite yet.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:  

Yeah, that's better, thanks Smee.
Ravagerrr

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:  

why are there 2 selections for each option? what happened there???
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject:  

I really don't know - that's just what came up.

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2