Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter Fifteen: Beasts of the Forest
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Chapter Fifteen: Beasts of the Forest  

Chapter Fifteen: Beasts of the Forest

As Ulliana watched, a swinging cleaver embedded itself into one of the guards, splitting through his shoulder and deep into his chest. Before the mortally wounded man had crumpled to the ground, the sole warrior of the group had lashed out, taking off the beast’s arm at the wrist. The second stroke sliced through the creature’s throat, the burst artery spraying blood like water.

With an animal shriek, one of the creatures flung itself upon him, bearing the pair to the ground. Before the beast could capitalise on its advantage, Ulliana released, sending the black feathered arrow flying through the air, and embedding it into the aggressive animal’s dark furred chest. Even before the dart connected, the Rakshasa had a second arrow on the string, which swiftly followed the first. The creature’s meaty axe dropped to the floor as it collapsed, the two arrows each penetrating one of the twin hearts.

Snarling, faces twisted in rage, the beasts turned towards her almost as one. Ulliana fired off one final shot, before standing upright in Arteu’s saddle, and leaping up into the trees. Desperately grasping with her free hand, she caught hold of a single low-hanging branch and swung herself up. As soon as her foot left the saddle, the steed bolted, deprived its rider’s calming presence and disappearing into the woods.

Having more urgent matters to attend to than a loose mount, the feline drew a fourth arrow from the sheath at her waist, bracing herself against the tree’s trunk. Releasing the missile towards the oncoming beasts, Ulliana watched as the flight tore into one of the creature’s throats, the jugular vein slashed open. With a strangled cry, the beastman collapsed, sinking to its knees and tumbling to the grass below.

At the appearance of an ally in their hour of need, the guardians of the caravan redoubled their efforts and managed to drag another of the beasts down, pinioning it to the earth with their long knives. The warrior among them accounted for his fifth, slicing outwards across the creature’s hamstring, and slitting its throat as it plummeted to the ground. Glancing towards him, Ulliana saw that his hood – which once had covered his head - had now fallen away, to reveal a shining battle mask, obscuring his face.

His hair was clipped short, only a single braid hung from the right side of his head. Where the rest was a dark brown, the ponytail was a wondrous mix of dyes, and shone with inlaid gems.

Her ill-timed glance nearly accounted for her death. Without warning, the branch she was perched on was ripped away, one of the beast’s axes being used against the tree rather than her. Dropping her bow in order to free her hands, she clung to the branches above her, feet dangling within her foe’s reach. With an effort, she pulled them out of claw range and hooked them around the tree, anchoring her position. She released one hand from its precarious grasp, reaching to her waist and withdrawing her sword.

The dark blade gleamed with a sudden inner light – the first rays of moonlight reflecting from its polished surface. Slicing downwards wildly, one of the beasts screamed as the sword cut through its wrist. The other two pushed it away without a glance, both more concerned with the prospect of meat than their injured comrade.

The axe wielding beastman seemed to be more intelligent than its partner, playing a greater intellect than its kind was known for. Clasping the great weapon with both hands, he swung the blade deep into the tree’s trunk, splitting the ancient plant nigh on to the core. Ulliana hazarded the trunk would collapse after a few more such blows, and was resolved not to be there when it happened.

Throwing caution to the wind, the feline dropped from the branches, landing agiley on the aggressor’s back. She flung her sword arm out, connecting with his partners horned head. One of the great horns was severed, a long gash erupting across the creature’s face and eye. It stumbled backwards, howling in rage and agony. Reversing the blow, Ulliana buried her weapon in her makeshift mount, riding the axe wielder to the floor as he collapsed.

Having transferred the club to its remaining hand, the beast whose hand she had removed swung at her, the blow catching her midriff and sending her flying backwards. Panting for breathe, the wind knocked out of her, there was nothing she could do to stop the creature lumbering closer. As the first blow came hurtling down, Ulliana rolled to the right, one hand snaking down to snatch the dagger from her boot. Rolling left to avoid the second blow, she brought the concealed weapon stabbing down into the creature’s foot, expecting to see it withdraw in pain. As it was, the beast barely seemed to feel the blow, lashing out with the same foot to knock her sprawling.

The feline rolled to her feet, all of her weapons lost, with the creature closing in on her again. Too her right lay a cleaver, lying atop the corpse of its former owner. She ducked the incoming blow, darting sideways to the abandoned blade. Even using both hands, the Rakshasa could barely lift the weapon, let along put up a reasonable defence with it.

Seeing her predicament, one of the guards called across to her, his long knife sent spinning from his hand towards her. Dropping the butcher’s weapon, she snatched the dagger from the air, nodded her thanks and turned to face the beastman. Flipping the dagger contemporarily in her hand, she caught it by the blade, before snapping her wrist towards the creature, the blade sent flying from her hand to land between the beast’s eyes, bringing it crashing to the floor.

Wasting no more time in gratitude, Ulliana retrieved her sword, twisting it from the creature’s back. Hearing a change in the beast’s howls, she turned swiftly, just in time to see the remains of the pack fleeing back to the forests. Their leader paused on tree line, turning to face her. Pointing one meaty hand towards her, he than ran it across his neck in an unmistakable threat. Then he too disappeared into the woods.

Ulliana spat on the ground at the leader’s threat, and knelt besides one of the defeated foe, wiping her blade clean on a furry pelt. Sheathing her weapon, she glanced at the small surviving group of guardians. As the raiders retreated, yet another of the caravan’s guards – her rescuer - had been dragged along with them, and his screams echoed for a few brief moments, before ending abruptly.

As the Rakshasa strode towards the group, the canvas of the caravan twitched, a large, pot-bellied man appearing at the entrance. He was clad in fine silks, most likely imported from Espan. His skin was pale – unblemished by the usual signs of sickness or injuries. A rich merchant – maybe even a minor noble. Glancing around at the bloodied warriors, his gaze fell upon Ulliana. Eyes widening in surprise, he leapt from the wooden cart, half stumbling over a body as he did so.

“What is that doing here!?” he demanded, pointing with indignation at the feline. “It…It…Kill it! Now!” One of the men stepped forwards, only to be held back by the other – by the warrior. Seeing the insubordination, the fat man – obviously the caravan’s owner – drew an elegant blade, richly bejewelled. “It is a spy – a beast. They must all be slain!”

“Sire, I…” stammered the caravan guard, but a single word from the masked man silenced him.

“She has fought both valiantly and with honour – joining us in our hour of need. At great peril to her own life she battled to save ours.” He reached up, withdrawing the golden battle-mask from his face, to reveal skin richly decorated with flowing tattoos. Vibrant blues and greens, intermixed with many hues of red swam across his flesh, the symbols marking him as one of the tribal warriors from Sic’lia. The western country was renowned for their fierce system of honour – every debt repaid, every insult returned.

“I will not stand by, and watch as your men slaughter her. That would be unacceptable to Koratoth, and the Path. I owe her a life debt.” The Sic’lian bowed in respect at the mention of his God’s name, folding his blades across his chest. At his statement, the merchant’s eyes narrowed in anger, but he could tell he was outmatched.

“Fine,” he spat, his lips twisting into a snarl. “Stay with the…the animal. Far be it for me to care about the life of a savage, and a beast.” Fury written clearly across his face, he turned on his heel, and stormed back to the caravan, clumsily sheathing his sword as he did so. The remaining guard looked between his retreating master, and the Sic’lian in confusion.

“Go,” spoke the tribesman “you are sworn to his service. Do not forget what the Rakshasa bestowed upon you today. There may be a time you too can honour your debt.”

Within minutes the pair stood, watching after the departing caravan. Arteu had found his way back to his master as soon as the beasts had departed, and now stood near her, nudging her occasionally. The Sic’lian turned to her, his mask once more covering his face.

“Enthral,” he nodded, “Enthral the Golden, son of Net, son of Turnoc, descendant of Great Koratoth himself. You saved my life – it is now in your hands.” Instead of replying, Ulliana turned away from him, glancing down at the floor. After a moment she spoke.

“Ulliana Halfelven. But I have no need of your life – I have my own deeds to concern myself with.”

“Your deeds are now mine, your concerns I now worry about,” he cut her off. “And it shall remain thus unless I save your life from certain peril just as you have today. The Path demands it.” The chance to converse with a Sic’lian had never crossed Ulliana’s path before, yet she could sense it would be worthless to protest. Besides, having a second skilled warrior along could only prove beneficial, should the Beastman leader make good on his vow to return. On the other hand, Enthral possessed no steed, and her quest was a personal one. He would understand, should she demand he await her return.

Reaching over to Arteu’s saddle packs, she removed the parchment with the Auclid Root details on. But how much to show the Sic’lian, and whether to bring him along?
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:  

What's this I hear you cry? A new chapter* from Lordy? Never.

Actually this is a very old chapter**, which I put up months ago***, and you all managed to miss it****.

Honest.

I apologise for the wait, but I won't grovel. I don't grovel. I hope to have the next chapter out on the 21st, to celebrate the birthday, but this may be slightly wishful thinking, being me.

*Finally.
**This may be a lie.
***Another lie.
****Not a lie. Honest.*****
*****Yep, you got it. I'm lying again.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:  

Wooo, another chapter! :big:

First a couple of little thingies...

Quote: ...he creature’s meaty axe dropped to the floor as the beast collapsed

I think this would read better as:

...he creature’s meaty axe dropped to the floor as it collapsed

Quote: Snarling, face’s twisted in rage

You don't need the ' here.

Quote: Her ill-timed nearly accounted for her death

timing ?

Quote: the branch she was perched __ was ripped away

Missed an 'on'.

Quote: she pulled them out of claw range and hooking them around the tree, anchoring her position

hooked (or change the anchoring to anchored)

There were a couple of other little ones.

Anyway, good fight scene! :D I like this new character. Very well visualized.

I don't think she needs, at this time anyway, to show him anything really. If he really wants to tag along, then she can explain the basics of what she is up to.

On the other hand, it sounds like he would be fairly trustworth, being hororable and all that jazz.

So, er, all or nothing I guess. Nothing being my first choice, at least initially.
DELETED

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks C'ren - made the changes. I guess that's what happens when I write it in large stages, with gaps of several months inbetween.

And remember - if you love me - add this story to favourites. Add it even if you don't.
OldJoe

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:  

Ah don't reckon she needs ter tell him anythin' yet. Get him ter tag along fer a while. See what he can do fer her first.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject:  

Took yer time with a new chapter, didn't you? ;)

That having been said, it was worth the wait. Very good fight scene. You got tension, balance and descriptions good enough that the readers didn't lose concentration in the action. Nicely done!

Now she has another companion, only this one has pledged himself to her, no strings attached. I don't see any reason to throw him into the centre of her plans, although she should be careful not to toy with his concept of honour by hinting that she doesn't trust him. That could be worse than telling him nothing.

It's time for Ulliana to be very careful, methinks... :)
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject:  

:shock: No, no don't tell me. I have seen you around before somewhere... :laf:
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject:  

Hmm... Chinaren... Chinaren... nope, doesn't ring a be...

Wait a minute! Didn't you try to sell me double-glazing a few months ago? :shock:
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject:  

Look, winter is closing fast, and I can't overemphasize the importance of insulat... er... No. Not me. :erm:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:  

Well, hey there Stranger. Long time no see.

As usual, everybody's gone for the nice, easy option of agreeing with everyone else. It's all well and good to have a democrasy, but when the drugs all make you vote the same way I might as well be in charge mysel...wait. I didn't say that. Honest.

Poll should be up Wednesdayish, so get any suggestions in before then.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:  

Can it be? A white stoat? :shock:

I'm all for bringing the warrior along to watch your back but I wouldn't be telling him too much about what your doing other than that your collecting herbs...if he gets nosey say you're going to sell them.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:  

There we are - poll is up, and it even seems to work. Will miracles never end?

Expect it to run for a week, and try not to be disappointed if I take forever to write it again.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:  

Ok, I know I said I'd try and get the chapter up in time for the aniversary, and I even had lots of bonuses planned, which were going to add to the story.

But I haven't. And you can't get mad, because it's my birthday. So there.

I was going to finish it last night, but Rum and Dawn of War was too tempting. Sorry.
Almar Crowkiller

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:  

Happy B-day
Amazing stuff!! i felt enthralled the whole way(i read it all in one go) umm i think its too late to vote on this but cant wait to join on the next round.
cheers
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:  

Welcome to the story Almar - and you picked a good one to join. (Have I mentioned how modest I am?)
Mother Goose

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

I was reading this a long time ago, but thought I was too far behind to catch up - that's one lucky thing about a long break between chapters; I only had two to read, and I'm glad I looked. This is an exciting and well-written story. Keep it up!

Nice to see Her Stoatliness!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:  

Mother Goose wrote: I was reading this a long time ago, but thought I was too far behind to catch up - that's one lucky thing about a long break between chapters; I only had two to read, and I'm glad I looked. This is an exciting and well-written story. Keep it up!

Nice to see Her Stoatliness!

I did it just for you MG - I knew you'd want to catch up.
Honest.

Storygames Home -> A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Page 1 of 1