Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Lords and Ladies.
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Lords and Ladies.  

Hello fellow IFians. :D

I have been mulling over a new* SGame for some time now, and I suddenly had an idea for giving it a twist.

The SGame, and I am giving plot away here but there ya go, is about a young prince** who has just inherited the crown and has the task of running, and even expanding his kingdom. It has the possibility of intrigue and politics and twist plots, which I like. ;)

Anyhoo, then I thought. Hang on a mo. Could I add a new flavor to this? Another angle? A twist to the SGame?

What I was thinking of is having a certain number of kingdoms/countries (fantasy setting) which are ruled by different players.

Now, to ensure fairness none of the 'real' players would know who was 'playing' the other characters. EG: If Smee was playing Good King Raze, and Stoat was playing Evil Emperess Raith, they would only know who they were 'playing', and see the other characters as the other characters. Is that clear? Possibly not.

Anyway, this method wouldn't stop communication, where applicable, between players. They would just have to go through me.

So, what's the game then? I hear you ask.

Well, that's where I can't decide. Either I...

a. Have the Sgame from the 'heroes' point of view, and have the set players dictate what their countries reactions woudl be,as and when needed. This would be a much more 'traditional' Sgame, but with ideas about other country actions told to me by the 'set' players. The story DPs would be from the perspective of the 'hero'.

b. A much more 'Roleplaying' approach, where there isn't one 'hero' at all, but the story follows different monarchs etc. guided by the 'set' players. This could end up a little bit like Battle to the End actually. Okay, I keep changing my mind about details on this one.

The .b. option would be more work (esp for me) but allow many more options for the set players.

I dunno. Any thoughts? :? I am throwing this one open to the floor for ideas and comments...

*Actually I have quite a few ready to go, but this is a newer one.
**I did have this idea before Key started his new one, so I am not copying. Well, not directly. This isn't exactly a new idea.
JezSharp

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:  

Wow, that sounds like an amazing idea :cool: :cool: :cool:, quite like plan a) , not so sure about b) as I'm trying to get my head round how that exactly works - I'm fairly sure it's also a good plan though. I'd definately be interested in playing a part in the game if it started up.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:  

I think it sounds like a good idea - and although either angle could work, I suspect point A would work better. If people have to keep changing between characters, they'll also know the other monarchs plans, which could well upset the balance a bit.
solus.serpen

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject:  

yep, plan A certainly sounds easier, and i too would be interested in a part of the game when its set up :) .
+ do we get to choose our type of kingdom/rule, (eg. fair rule, dictatorsip...etc.)
and, is there a limit to the ammount of players/kingdoms?
dinranwen

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject:  

Sounds very interesting, and I must admit genius in a way. I think that A would definetly be easier, both for you and the players you chose to play. However, Choice B would definetly be more interesting although it would be extermly difficult not to mention confusing.

How about combining the two ideas, to make the story a little bit of both. Like have one sitaution which envolves all the countries as a whole but effects each one in a different way. Then have a main group of heros from each country, these could be your rulers so to speak and could each tell you who someone from their country might react to the story. But instead of saying it from the rulers point of view, have the 'main' Hero tell it how he/she heard it and how she reacted. This way you kind of get the best of both worlds. You still get the levels of interest that a RPG provides but the simplicity of a traditonal storygame. This option will also allow youto switch view points between different characters when and as needed.

The only problem with this brillant idea that I can see is that you would have to agree on a World to hold it in. It wouldn't do to have people coming to you with countries that don't even exist in your World in the first place. Secondly, you might have to dictate roles a little or something like that to guarentee that no two kingdoms and rules are a like in goverment, history, or culture. In order to pull this off, you will need a world that will be a various as a patch quilt.

I must say I'm a bit jealous I didn't think of this idea first, it would have been perfect to show off all the aspects and dimesions of the World of Mian, a world that took me almost a year to create. Well anyway, Good Luck, and I look forward to seeing this idea up soon.

Yours truly,

Didn'trunwell :lol:
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:  

Quote: How about combining the two ideas, to make the story a little bit of both. Like have one sitaution which envolves all the countries as a whole but effects each one in a different way. Then have a main group of heros from each country, these could be your rulers so to speak and could each tell you who someone from their country might react to the story.

Mmm, there is something to this idea.

Quote: The only problem with this brillant idea that I can see is that you would have to agree on a World to hold it in

Well, I had planned on creating my own world, or part of it anyway, 'cos that's the sorta guy I am. ;)

Quote: + do we get to choose our type of kingdom/rule, (eg. fair rule, dictatorsip...etc.)
and, is there a limit to the ammount of players/kingdoms?

Again, depending upon the end thinking, I had planned to create the countries and characters myself, though these could be 'mapped' onto players personalities and thinking.

If it were option B, then there would be a limit, or it would simply get too confusing. Set players could though, be other characters in the plot. Like I said, still lots of thinking to be done here.

Letting players create their own isn't going to happen. I want a balanced world, (to start with) and past experience with letting people make their own has taught me that doesn't happen when I let others do it. :?

Thanks for the comments all, I will ponder some more. Any other thoughts welcome. :D
solus.serpen

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:  

ok. umm, i know we're not allowed to create our own...
...but if there is a spare dictatorship going...
...*pulls out knife and looks menacing*...
...uh, please...?
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:  

solus.serpen wrote: ok. umm, i know we're not allowed to create our own...
...but if there is a spare dictatorship going...
...*pulls out knife and looks menacing*...
...uh, please...?

LOL! Most of them would be monarchies, where the kings word is law. However, it won't be that easy. The feelings of the 'people', treasury, troops, other characters and certain country/personal limitations will all play a part.

A player would have to play within the conventions and limitations of the world/role.
Thracia Alba

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:  

Sounds like mucho fun! :D Might be just what I need to get out of this creative funk.

The fact that we won't be able to create our own kingdoms is somewhat disappointing, but your storygame, your rules, I suppose. However, if you happen to have a city-state* that dedicates itself to the ideals of art, philosophy, knowledge, and justice lying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you. :D

*It wouldn't have to be a monarchy, either. It could easily be an oligarchy, or perhaps even a free democratic state**.

**Free for male, land-owning citizens of a legal age, that is. Hey, this ain't a charity here!
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:  

Quote: The fact that we won't be able to create our own kingdoms is somewhat disappointing, but your storygame, your rules, I suppose. However, if you happen to have a city-state* that dedicates itself to the ideals of art, philosophy, knowledge, and justice lying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you.

Maybe not exactly, but ideas and suggestions like this would be fine, more than fine infact. I just don't want 15 warlike states bristling with unbeatable orc warriors is all. ;)
solus.serpen

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:  

its ok, i don't like orcs :D .
JezSharp

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Suggestions  

Ok...do we get to pick names for our Kingdoms...actually the only problem with that is it would probably give away some people :).

As for suggesting the sort of things we'd like within our Kingdoms...guessing that would give the game away a bit too...

Perhaps we should all PM you with the above

a) To let you know that we're definately interested and
b) To keep the Kingdoms as annoymous as possible

...is that a good idea?

Jez :cool:
Phang

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:  

Sounds cool. And you're making serious attempts to limit godmoding and keep it storygamey, which can never go amiss.

Just remember - when it comes to this grey area, BEWARE MAGIC.
Thracia Alba

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:  

Phang wrote:

Since you're being so good as to accept suggestions, China, how about this: if a ruler of a kingdom absolutely INSISTS upon doing magic, then said magic has to come with a terrible price. And I mean truly terrible... Like, for instance, killing half of the kingdom's citizens, or destroying said ruler himself, or something equally horrible, so that it could only be used as a last, desperate measure (or perhaps frivolously by a depraved, Nero-like figure).

This may be going a bit OT, but in regards to magic, I'm usually a bit reticent about using it in writing. As much as I love the Harry Potter series, I think it's a little unrealistic (as if magic isn't anyway!) that it should be as easy as muttering an incantation and pointing a finger (or a wand). It seems to me like magic would be something much, much more unstable. It would be less like using a tool, and more like juggling with a vial of nitro-glycerine. Perhaps if used in your storygame, it could be more like that. But that's just my little suggestion, take it as you will. :)
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: China, how about this: if a ruler of a kingdom absolutely INSISTS upon doing magic, then said magic has to come with a terrible price.

Well, that would depend upon the story really. If it fit in with the plot okay (didn't unbalance it and all that) then I could allow it. Of course, something like that would mean the citizens would likely rise up in revolt, those that were left, or other nations would be so disgusted they would unite against them. Game over stuff really.

Of course, I would retain a veto, being the power hungry person like what I is. Quite likely the spell would go wrong somehow when being cast. Hur hur.
;)
Phang

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:  

Thracia Alba wrote: Phang wrote:

It seems to me like magic would be something much, much more unstable. It would be less like using a tool, and more like juggling with a vial of nitro-glycerine. Perhaps if used in your storygame, it could be more like that. But that's just my little suggestion, take it as you will. :)

Yes, see this is what I've been thinking all along! If magic was easy, if magic could both maim and heal without long rituals or moral and cosmic barriers, then where would the idiots and people who enjoy clubbing other's heads in with sticks be?

As it is, in this world of constant danger, we will always need the simpleton with the club, and should spare him the indignity of being swatted away like a fly by a despised FORCE FIELD*!

*Sorry Tramp, I really do hate them.

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread. Feel free to move this discussion into it's own for a little debate.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:  

OOooOOooooOOO...

Sounds cool to me. You should go for it, fuzzy one.

I'd be interested in bein a monarch of some sort!
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:  

Alright then, I have decided to stop thinking* and start doing.

I will begin this SGame on an experimental basis. If you would like to take part, please PM me with a character, and what you would like your country to be like. (You can supply a name too.) Please remember I may alter any details as I see fit. :D Being the power hungry author I am.

*Note*
As this story may stray into unknown territory there are a few restrictions on who may enter. You must be:

* 18 years old or older.

*A fairly permanent resident here on IF.

*Willing to take the SGame seriously and abide by the rules of play, and act according to character type.

*I don't want this to end up as another Greed, with a million different POVs, so set players may be introduced slowly and at times may not have much of a role in the game.

*There will be a limit on how many set players there will be, though I don't know what that limit is yet, and it may change as things progress. :?

*Rules may, and probably will change as/if this develops.

This isn't a role play! I want this to be a SGame, where people who aren't 'set players**' can enjoy and participate too. I will write the chapters, or should it come to it, edit chapters sent in by players, which could be an option somewhere down the line.

Initially I will be pretty much making things up as it goes along, though I do have a basic plot and sub-plot outlined.

So, what ya waiting for? Get them countries in!

*Hey, it's always worked for me in the past.
**Set players being the people who are 'playing a character' in the story.
solus.serpen

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:  

Quote: * 18 years old or older.
:cry2:

ah well, hope those who can enter will enjoy it. ;)
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject:  

solus.serpen wrote: Quote: * 18 years old or older.
:cry2:

ah well, hope those who can enter will enjoy it. ;)

Sorry SS! I may be able to add some secondary roles at some point, but for now I want to keep it (relatively) simple. :D
solus.serpen

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject:  

Quote: secondary roles
better than nothing :D .
Muaddib

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:  

Wow, selective guest list China. I'm a month away from my 18th. :lol:

Well good luck to these brave,serious,permanent...old...pioneers. :lol:
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:  

I think we can make an exception for you Muaddib. I would look forward to your entry!
Muaddib

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject:  

I would like to, but this all a bit too much for me to understand. I'll sit on the fence this time and see how this works out.

If the idea's popular then I'll steal the credit for the people otherwise I can shake my head sagely.
Phang

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:  

Bloody oldies. :(

I'd contributed so much too (by way of rant). :cool:
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:  

I would like to be in but... I have years to go. I'll just pretend to be hurt for a while.
Argonaut

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:  

So let me see if I get this. The set players are all gonna be rulers of some kind, effecting things indirectly by telling you how their country reacts to the things going on in the story. The heros are going to be played by everyone as a regular storygame, and for each decision point they have your set players will have secret decision points to PM to you.

If i have this right it sounds pretty cool so I'll PM you an idea :)
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: So let me see if I get this. The set players are all gonna be rulers of some kind, effecting things indirectly by telling you how their country reacts to the things going on in the story.

That's pretty much the plan for the moment ,yes. :)
dinranwen

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:  

Would love to join, but I'll only do so if you need more players. I'm definetly over the age limit, by two years and 3 months, and 5 days actually as of today. (I'll leave you to do the math) However, as I know nothing of your plot or even what you need in countries or what you have available in character slots; I think I'll reserve myself until such time as you might need me.

However, if you need one more person to join the multly crew, I'm in. Besides, I'm sure I have a few extra countries with rulers and histories somewhere on hand, now to find where. Until later,

Looking forward to this story either as a reader or player.

Never more than,

Dinranwen
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject:  

I have started the SGame off in the Fantasy section, but I still have room for a couple more Set Players and their countries.

If you are interested you can PM me, there isn't a huge rush, as I am introducing the land slowly, to avoid overwhelming the story with too many new names and places.

You can read the story here.
chiacutie

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:  

18 years old? Oh come on now chinaren. The coolest people her *ahem* are under 18!!! And think how much fun it would be to have an adorable 12 year old girl in oyur story. COme on now. You know I'm oyur favorite!!!!(only because I insist it is so, but still!)

Do you need me to cry? Cuz Ill cry.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:  

And I'll start hitting you with my cuddly toys. Beware the cuddly toys!
chiacutie

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:  

Oh yeah? Well I'll cry and stop passing out cookies at the Free for All!!!
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:  

Okay then, as I have actually started this, I am going to lock this thread. If you meet the conditions above and wish to be a Set Player, please PM me.

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
Page 1 of 1