Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 2- The Nun
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Confession Box - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Chapter 2- The Nun  

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to Valencia F.C- good luck in their game against Barcelone F.C. And Frank O'Connor- Excellent author. Also my dad, who helped me with a portion of the chapter.

Storygame process: Read the story, and then based on the character's personality, suggest what he/she should do. When all suggestions are adopted, the author (me) will post a poll. You must vote for your favorite option on the poll, and based on that decision, the author will write the next chapter as it affects the story.

Chapter 2

The confession box was dark inside; maybe it had turned that way after listening to so much sin. Father Devine made a decision, one he felt would help all of them.

“Son, the first thing you need to do is apologize to that girl. You are as guilty as she is of carnal relations, but your sin is the greater for treating her inhumanely. To prove you are truly repentant, you must ask her what she would rather decide.”

“But, father-” said the young man in protest.

“If she wants to marry you, you have no option.” Continued Devine without listening. “If she decides otherwise, then you may be able to arrange something without risking your studies or your father’s reputation. What is your name?”

“Edward Conolly.” he replied.

“Go in peace, Edward. God has compassion on all sinners.”

A commanding knock on the door brought Andy McDonough out of his reverie. His quickly swallowed all the contents of his glass, and opening the cabinet door, deposited the brandy decanter there. He smoothed out his clothes as the knocking repeated itself. Andy opened the door just as Father Turner was about to knock again, with his closed fist poised in the air. Turner quickly returned it to its rigid position at his side.

“Father Turner, what a surprise! Come in, father, come in.” said Andy, laying his hand on Turner’s shoulder and amiably guided him inside. Andy’s confidence was fruit of their long association, but Father Turner’s arched eyebrows rose questioningly.

Turner followed in, his brow reflected the dull glow of the electrical lights. Andy went over to the cabinet door and cheerfully brought out the decanter and his best wineglasses, thinking of sharing his merriment with Turner.

“How’d you like a glass of brandy, father?” said Andy, fumbling around with the decanter. Turner, having said nothing insofar, turned his aquiline nose towards Andy.

“Andy, we have to talk.” he said gravely.

“Sure, father. Let’s sit down and have a drink-” said Andy, holding up his wine glass. Father Turner’s receding hairline reflected on it, and it distracted Andy momentarily from Turner‘s penetrating brown eyes.

“Andy, the church is very low on funds lately.” Turner persisted, fixing the jovial man with his prolonged stare. Andy didn’t smile, and instead rested his glass down on the table.

“Well, if that’s the trouble,” Andy said cautiously, “I can always write a bank check down for the church.”

“It would certainly be unfortunate for Alice to find out about that girl, wouldn’t it?” sneered Turner, momentarily dropping his composure to better revel in his hold. Andy whitened as the words were spoken, and dropped in his chair, subduing an urge to order Turner out.

“So you know.” said Andy throatily, with all his glee dissipated.

“Yes, I know.” said Turner, restraining a cruel smile. “I wouldn’t wish to do this normally, Andy, but the church needs some repairs. Although it is my duty to report this and condemn it, I’m instead letting you off with a slight- tax. ’Tis a favor I‘m doing you.”

“How much do you need?” Andy asked wearily; his voice sounded like an echo of a former man.

“Forty pounds.” Father Turner said distinctively, so as to not create doubts.

Andy morosely wrote the specified sum on a paper and handed it to Father Turner. Turner unhurriedly plucked the bill from Andy’s hands despite the large amount it represented, and hid it inside his habit. He lay his hand on Andy’s shoulder, in such a comforting and uplifting way, that it seemed he was guiding him to heaven.

“God loves and forgives all sinners.” said Turner. He walked to the door in silence and officiousness and closed it behind him as he made his exit. Poor sinner, he thought. The warm mid-afternoon lightened his spirits, and he temporarily forgot about the sins all mortals are fated to accept. Self-satisfied, he walked back towards the church. Inside, Andy no longer cared about the hypocrisy. He silently clutched his face in his hands and then filled his wine glass with brandy, only this time to forget.

The evening sun was being slowly extinguished behind the horizon, and Father Devine had decided to go on another walk by his favorite path flanking the river. As he contemplated the river meditatively, as was his custom, he noticed a small figure sitting under a tree unattached from the river. As he advanced, he realized it was a young woman, staring at the ground gloomily, and when he got even closer, he recognized the nun’s habit she was dressed in.

His heart going out to the pitiable figure, he approached her.

“It’s a nice day, isn’t it?” said Devine, taking his seat against a tree opposite her. She looked up, surprised. Her pale blue eyes appeared saddened by something.

“Yes. It is, isn’t it? I hadn’t really noticed.” she rustled softly. Devine remained silent momentarily as his snowy hair swayed in the light breeze.

“What troubles you, sister?” he said. He regretted prodding into others’ lives, but his quality would not allow him to pass by a disconsolate individual. Devine’s preference was to wait for people to come to him, to willingly consult with his opinion. He felt uneasy- an intruder upon the young woman’s privacy. She sat in front of him, quietly biting her nails and casting occasional contemplative glances at her surroundings.

“Oh, nothing,” she said gloomily, “just everything.” Her watery eyes roamed around aimlessly until concentrating fleetingly on Devine. He scrutinized her face closely. Large blue eyes stood out prominently, and blond curls swelled from behind her nun’s wimple. She had a sharp, pretty, intelligent face, but it seemed entirely unfocused, a caricature of a hopeless philosopher.

“Sister, what convent are you from?” asked Devine, approaching the subject of her pessimism differently.

“From St. Patrick’s, just a couple of towns up. I’m visiting my sister.” She said, as the clouds suddenly accumulated threateningly overhead. Devine glanced upwards worriedly.

“Who’s your sister?” Asked Devine. The girl replied sadly, “Sarah McDonough.”

“Ah, I know your father well! An exceptional man, Andy. Did he ever tell you about his time as a young man when he wrestled down all the other men in the village with one hand tied to his back?” exclaimed Devine, forgetting the oncoming weather. The girl smiled and looked at Devine interestedly.

The McDonough’s were an honest, abiding family, well thought of and well respected in the countryside. Devine believed in family descent. To him, a respectable family name meant a decent, trustable person. Of course, Devine believed in the possibility of change, but there was certainly a difference between a “McDonough boy” and a “McCrery boy”. As absurd as this caste-system may seem, Devine lay his confidence in it. Even after occasionally hearing horrible confessions from the most prominent families, he hadn’t lost faith in this theory. It was one of the small defects of his personality. And strange as it be, he was seldom wrong.

“I also remember your sister’s wedding day, with that fellow John,” continued Devine, “I don’t recall having ever seen the church so crowded with people. Andy made sure of it! Wasn’t it only three years ago?”

“Was it? Yes, it might have been.” Her smile faded and her eyes became unfocused and careless once more. Devine observed her peculiar reaction at the same time as he warily eyed the menacing clouds. “Maybe we should start out towards town. It looks like it might hail.” said Devine. He hated rain; on rainy days his arthritis pulsated angrily.

The girl sighed, but helped Devine up as he held his hand out to her. They began making their way into town from where they had been unattached for a brief period of time.

In every large family, one of the family members became interested, or forced into interest of a religious vocation. The McDonough’s were no exception. It gave the whole family a sense of relax, of assuredness, to know that they would enjoy first row seats on their passage to heaven. The girl at Devine’s side seemed to be the religious family member for the McDonough’s. It was obvious to Devine that she was having second thoughts.

Crossing a small bridge over the river as the sky began shifting into a slate blue color, Devine recommenced the conversation.

“And how are things up in St. Patrick’s?” he asked.

“Oh, the usual, father. Mother Kate’s been tightening the rules.” Began the girl, finally recuperating from her absentness, “Now we can’t talk to any men unless they’re workers at the convent. That got my friend Elsie fuming.”

“Did it?” said Devine speculatively. The girl had been holding her thoughts for a long time. Devine wasn’t so sure anymore that he wanted to be with her when she exploded.

“It did, father, and she told Mother Kate what she thought about the new rules.” She grinned. “I don’t think Mother Kate agreed with her much.”

Devine smiled. “Why should Mother Kate tighten the rules?”

“Well,” said the girl somewhat demurely, “I guess she thought Elsie and I were talking to Tom too much for her comfort.”

“Ah, a new player enters the game.” said Devine smiling widely again.

“He’s only a friend, father. Besides, what gives Mother Kate the right to decide who I can talk to?” she said, reddening first in embarrassment and then in a flare of anger. The air became chilly and the weather began to worsen.

“Is Tom a nice fellow?” said Devine, subconsciously wondering about Tom’s family lineage.

“Of course he’s a nice fellow, father.” Suddenly she eyed him with sharp scrutinizing eyes. “Father, is God real?”

“What?” The question had caught him off-guard. The worst thing about it was that he had prodded into the girls’ life, and now he couldn’t use his nonchalance to answer her as he usually did. He had fallen into a trap only someone unconscious of preparing it could have made. “I believe so.” he resolved.

“Father,” she said earnestly, “Then why all the suffering? How can so many bad things come from a God of good? And why is He our Lord, instead of our Friend?”

“Without suffering, we wouldn’t understand happiness. Without suffering, we’d eventually suffer.” Devine smiled wryly. “God’s ways are not our ways.”

There was a loud rumble from the sky, and without further explanation, she began crying. She leaned against the side of the bridge, much to Devine‘s astonishment, and began wailing.

“But why is God our Master? Why do I pray for His pleasure during so many long hours? His existence contradicts freedom! Why can’t I marry like my sister did- I only want to be happy. I love Tom and I love my family.”

Devine stood there, overwhelmed by her emotions, as she turned to him.

“Father, can you…can you help me?”
_________

Skip to Chapter 3

Yay, new DP! Leb, I read your suggestion briefly before I posted the chapter, and- great minds think alike! I gave everybody names a few days ago!

Anyway, to clear what the DP is about- Basically, based on Devine's personality (this is important) you must a) Resolve her questions about God b) Resolve her question about what to do with her life.
Lebrenth

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: The worst thing about it was that he had prodded into the girls’ life, and now he couldn’t use his non-challance to answer her as he usually did.

nonchalance?

Quote: “Maybe we should start out towards town. It looks like it might haul.”

hail?

Doubting nun... she seems rather attractive. I hope the Father has a better resistance to temptation than me. Well, I think the father needs to have stronger resolve for his beliefs so he can stand up to such questions without doubt... but according to his personality, it seems he likes to be as unobtrusive as humanly possible. He even takes the cautious route when asked point blank if there is a God. He didn't say 'yes', he said 'I believe so', admitting that there is a possibility he's wrong. As diplomatic as that is, it's not very comforting for a person who's having doubts.

If we are to reaffirm her faith we need to demonstrate conviction in our beliefs. Devine's best tool, I think, is patience. Perhaps just staying with her will help, letting her know he's there for support and advice through the emotion till she calms down.

That is what we want to do, right? We don't want to help a young nun throw her vows away on a flurry of emotion, do we? I would rather not stop at "Why don't you think and pray about it first?" but we have to go at least that far. He needs to find that part of her that does believe in God, remind her of it, and make her realize how she's letting herself get carried away.

Then threaten to kill her if she leaves.

Ok, no threats. We should let her know that it is still her decision, but serving God is a higher purpose, one that takes the kind of strength that normal people do not call upon. She needs to rise above the animal instincts and realize her divine connection. Explain the rewarding life we've had in God's service, and then tell her to take the time to calm down and truly open her heart to God.

Geez, makes me sound religious, hey? If you need a break, read HNP. The undead have a way of shaking the fear of God out of us and filling us with the fear of having our brains eaten.
chiacutie

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:  

Ive copied them down on wordpad and will read all the chapters tonight as I saw you wanted more readers in the shameless ad thingy....
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:  

Hey, I'm glad that worked, and welcome to my story chia. Leb, I made the corrections on the text.

Quote: I hope the Father has a better resistance to temptation than me.

I wouldn't want to analyze you based on this, leb! ;)
No, good suggestion, really.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:  

A very nice chapter D, well written.

As for the DP... ~sighs~ I am totally athiest, so the religous side of this is an anathema to me.

If it were me, I would say stop wasting your time as a nun and get it on with this Tom fellow.

However, as the priest, I would probably preach adherence to her vows.

So, no help there then. ;)
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: I am totally athiest, so the religous side of this is an anathema to me.

It would surprise you to know that I am not much of a religious person, yet I am writing the story. My reason for doing that is because the psychology of priests as human beings is interesting. They fluctuate in their thinking and cannot agree about their own religion. They are men of great intelligence, or very simple men. I enjoy studying religion as well, because it is a human pattern that we see repeated everywhere, by all civilizations. There has to be a reason for our need of Gods or God, and I am trying to analyze a very small part of it in this story.

My hopes were that the reader, wether religious or not, could associate with the story and be able to comment based on their personal experience of religion. I was hoping the decision points would be contradictory to people of different thoughts, and provide for some great polls.

However, there is a limitation in thinking, because a storygame dictates that you must use the character's personality to base the decision.

I was hoping, though, that being placed in a character such as Devine would provide a challenge, especially to those of you that are atheists. Immerse yourself in the character, tell me what you think about him, explain his emotions, his reasonings. Why would he do something? Explore the options in his thinking. Would he insist on her vocations, or would he feel pity on her? What other solutions are there?

Simply because you are an atheist, or an agnostic, it doesn't mean you can't contrive to the story. True, it may become more challenging, but don't give up.

Do not think of Devine as a religion, think of him as a human.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:  

Strange - normally it is this sort of arguing that I excel at, but I've never tried from a priest's prespective.

If it was me, and someone asked me how God interacts with free will, I'd reply along the lines of there being no free will. God knows everything, and therefore we are 'fated' to do whatever it is we do.

I'd also mention something about why should God be good. In His infinite wisdom He made us, why should He allow us to enjoy our lives if they're owed soley to him. If you believe in God, then this makes a (twisted) sense. If you don't, then nothing anyone can say will ever convince you. There's no point trying to convince someone through words, only deeds.

Religion is always based on Faith and Logic - either you believe something, or you are shown something which can have no other logical outcome.

I realise I'm not really answering the questions here, so I'll move onto those.

If she's having doubts about her faith, then being a nun really doesn't sound like the best career choice for her. He should try to convince her about God being real - possibly telling her of wonders he's seen, but advice her to prehaps seek a new path for the time being. Remind her that whatever her choice God knows, and will still love her for it. There is always time to turn back to God.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:  

I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but...

Quote: Religion is always based on Faith and Logic

Since when does logic have anything to do with it???

Anyway, as I said above, I believe the priest would try and convince her to stay, he obviously believes. Everyone has times of doubt, he should say. God loves you blah blah blah...

Right, I will wait until D posts the next chapter, or I will go off into one. :shock: ;)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Religion is always based on Faith and Logic

Since when does logic have anything to do with it???

Because religion started as an effort to explain why things happen. Ancient civilisatoins ddin't just create religions for the Hell of it, they were trying to find a reason for everything. A higher power was - for scientifically inept people - the most logical explaination. That someone had designed them.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:  

Has everyone had their say?

One or two more days, then I'll post the poll.

Quote: I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but...

I'd love to have religious debates! That's what this story is all about. :D
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:  

I would tell the girl to pray for an answer, would tell her Devine is going to pray for her then do so. Father Devine's faith is unshakable then he should make the attempt to be the kind loving priest, one who gently guides, not outright steers.

This should help the nun or at least ease his own mind.
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up!
JezSharp

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:  

good Chapter D - Lotus, I'm not sure what to vote for though...think I'll go with the first option based on his character.
Smee

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: Quote: I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but...

I'd love to have religious debates! That's what this story is all about. :D

I think, Dani, that what Chinaren meant is that "religious debates" usually, and rapidly, become slanging matches between the two sides.

Rarely will any side be persuaded by the others arguments because both sides fundamentally believe in different and opposing views.

A religous person doesn't understand why the athesist wouldn't want to have faith in their deity or accept that science can't answer everything.

The athesist doesn't understand why the (usually very intelligent) religous person would have such blind faith in something as likely to exist as the Great Flying Spaghetti monster.

<insert pirate smilie> *

( * :-o where's it gone? Please oh GFSM - I mean no disrespect!)
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:  

Quote: <insert pirate smilie> *

( * where's it gone?

It's right there. :pirate: Never went anywhere. Honest. :laround:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:  

Wow - we're a decisive lot.
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:  

lordofthenight wrote: Wow - we're a decisive lot.

Look at the bright side, no matter what, the next vote breaks the tie!
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Rarely will any side be persuaded by the others arguments because both sides fundamentally believe in different and opposing views.

This is generally true for most debates, except that the fault does not rest on the debate, my dear Smee, but on the thinkers. The debate, isolated from the irreversible thoughts, is innocent and pure. If the thinkers are able to approach the debate with an open mind, other than a stubborn fundamentalism, then the debate is healed from your accusations, Smee.

Therefore, I welcome a 'debate', not an irretrievable, unalterable and unrelenting argument between two opposing views.

Smee wrote: Great Flying Spaghetti monster.

lol. I saw this in the internet, probably it was you who provided the link. Pretty funny. :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:  

Ah, but with a religious debate it is nearly impossible to offer proof of any kind, while in a debate of more solid matter, things can be proven.
Smee

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:  

I haven't read the chapter yet - but I'll add a vote then.

Quote: The debate, isolated from the irreversible thoughts, is innocent and pure. If the thinkers are able to approach the debate with an open mind, other than a stubborn fundamentalism, then the debate is healed from your accusations, Smee.

Therefore, I welcome a 'debate', not an irretrievable, unalterable and unrelenting argument between two opposing views.

I entirely agree Dani - but as Lordy hinted. I wasn't talking about a simple, innocent, pure 'debate' but that evil beast known as a "religious debate" - an entirely different entity.

Because - unlike many other debates - no substantial evidence can be put forward on either side (although I'd argue scientific evidence is sufficient to be highly skeptical ;) ) then few minds can be changed from what they 'fundamentally' believe.

And now I'm getting drawn into a 'religious debate' and like Chinaren I don't want one. So subject closed :D

I'll be back with a vote soon - hopefully.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: So subject closed

Why? I think it is interesting.

Quote: unlike many other debates - no substantial evidence can be put forward on either side

That is not entirely true. For example, upon the Resurrection, it could be argued by some that there is no proof that Jesus rose from the dead, and furthermore, some would assert that the disciples removed his body from the grave so that their story would seem true.

However, someone could offer proof to the contrary. The disciples were very scared after Jesus' death, and went into hiding. Peter even denied Jesus three times. However, upon three days, they suddenly burst forth without fear to proclaim the news of Jesus' ascension. Doesn't this seem strange for men who were cowering only the day before?

Then, somebody could say that the four Gospels offer different accounts about Jesus' death. How could the evangelists write accounts that contradict each other, if the resurrection is the central event of Christianity? The debater thinks it was because it was all a big story.

The debate could go on, with different sides offering different proofs. Although the proofs are more hypothetical than exact, the general point is made.

Besides, what kind of a debate would it be where everything is already proven? People don't debate about that which is generally accepted. In a debate about wether national security is worth limiting our freedom, you can't offer exact proof. You can give facts like "2,000 people died in a terrorist attack", or "On the watchlist of Homeland Security is a small group of middle aged democrat women called 'code pink', who bake cookies and discuss about the war." But you can't say that one side is better than the other by exact proof.

It is true that a religious debate might be more limited in the field of proof than other solid matters, but I don't think this should deterr us. I think it is possible to have a clean debate.

Chinaren wrote:

Quote: Since when does logic have anything to do with it???

In response, Lordy wrote:

Quote: Because religion started as an effort to explain why things happen. Ancient civilisatoins ddin't just create religions for the Hell of it, they were trying to find a reason for everything. A higher power was - for scientifically inept people - the most logical explaination. That someone had designed them.

Chinaren debated Lordy's opinion, and Lordy gave an answer back, with proof included. I think Lordy's response perfectly exemplifies what I am trying to say.

Quote: And now I'm getting drawn into a 'religious debate' and like Chinaren I don't want one.

Firstly, you are not getting drawn into a religious debate. You are getting drawn into a debate about the workings of a religious debate.

Secondly, as you can tell by now, I like debates. ;) Therefore, as this is my story, I encourage a debate, that is- until it gets out of hand.

If you don't want a debate, Smee, then that's fine; but I will remind you that you started it (Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 AM).

Quote: I entirely agree Dani

I inferr that you agree with my views on what a debate should be. I guess the whole discussion stems back to what China said. He said he didn't want to get into a religious debate, to which I answered I welcomed debate. You, Smee, then said that China's interpretation of a debate had been: an argument in which no side could be persuaded by the other. I did not disclaim that China thought that, but I defended my position on what a debate should be. Then you said that no substantial evidence could be made in a religious debate.

So basically, at this point we agree on everything except- you think religious debates don't have substantial evidence, and I think they don't need it.

So, to summarize my thoughts-
I believe we can have a clean debate in this story.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:  

But we're debating the possibility of the debate, not the story itself. To answer your points...

Quote: That is not entirely true. For example, upon the Resurrection, it could be argued by some that there is no proof that Jesus rose from the dead, and furthermore, some would assert that the disciples removed his body from the grave so that their story would seem true.

No proof cannot be used as proof against it. The fact that there is no visable proof doesn't and can't prove it didn't happen.

Quote: Then, somebody could say that the four Gospels offer different accounts about Jesus' death. How could the evangelists write accounts that contradict each other, if the resurrection is the central event of Christianity? The debater thinks it was because it was all a big story.

The books were written a good thirty years after the events. Each disciple would have known different things, and there is no reason for them to all give the exact same accounts. None of the accounts completely contradict any other, they just have different bits at different times.

Quote: Besides, what kind of a debate would it be where everything is already proven? People don't debate about that which is generally accepted. In a debate about wether national security is worth limiting our freedom, you can't offer exact proof. You can give facts like "2,000 people died in a terrorist attack", or "On the watchlist of Homeland Security is a small group of middle aged democrat women called 'code pink', who bake cookies and discuss about the war." But you can't say that one side is better than the other by exact proof.

The point here would not solely be "2,000 people died in a terrorist attack". It would be along the lines of - "2,000 people died in terrorist attacks this year, while last year there were 3,000 deaths." This would "prove" (well, of course it wouldn't prove it, but it would be offering evidence to show it) that tightening of National Security has led to improvement.
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: But we're debating the possibility of the debate, not the story itself.

'Tis what I said.

Quote: The books were written a good thirty years after the events. Each disciple would have known different things, and there is no reason for them to all give the exact same accounts. None of the accounts completely contradict any other, they just have different bits at different times.

You just used proof to argue me in a religious debate! Its what I've been saying!

Quote: The point here would not solely be "2,000 people died in a terrorist attack". It would be along the lines of - "2,000 people died in terrorist attacks this year, while last year there were 3,000 deaths." This would "prove" (well, of course it wouldn't prove it, but it would be offering evidence to show it) that tightening of National Security has led to improvement.

Ok, I see your point. I accept your statement. Religious debates don't have as much proof. But I still think we can have a religious debate here with hypothetical truths.
-------------

Anyway, I need someone else to vote, please. Someone break the tie so that I can write the next chapter. Its dragging on too much. :(
chiacutie

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:  

I picked the thrid option because it seemed like it would be the most interesting to explain, ne?
saxon215

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:  

nice chapter D enjoyed it thoroughly, this sdtory has soemthing cool to it that i like
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:  

Ok. Poll is closed. The decision was to give advice to the girl to take a different path. New chapter Saturday or Sunday.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:  

I like this story, but I have to ask: Should it really be in Fantasy? It doesn't seem to be the correct forum for it.
saxon215

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:  

well its d's fantasy
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: I like this story, but I have to ask: Should it really be in Fantasy? It doesn't seem to be the correct forum for it.

Well, where should it be? I always had the same problem. My stories don't really fit in any of the divisions, but in the past they've always been put in fantasy.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: chinaren wrote: I like this story, but I have to ask: Should it really be in Fantasy? It doesn't seem to be the correct forum for it.

Well, where should it be? I always had the same problem. My stories don't really fit in any of the divisions, but in the past they've always been put in fantasy.

I think the only place for this would be in HEM.

We did have a debate about this once. I said we should we start a 'normal' forum for this kind of story, but I was outvoted. Anyway, HEM would be better.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:  

Well, there's nothing humorous about this story, and there's nothing experimental either. I'm happy here, and I don't see that there would be much difference, but if you must, mr. mayor ;) , its up to you. (Or, now that you are mayor, your opinion on the 'normal' forum could bear more wheight.)
saxon215

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:  

i dont think there'd be anough stories to warrant opening a normal forum, plus how do you define normal and this wouldnt fit in HEM because theres nothing humouringly experimental about it and its sort of fantasy because its not set in our time its set in the past

Storygames Home -> Confession Box - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1