Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Avarice - The Challenge thread.
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Avarice - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaren

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Avarice - The Challenge thread.  

When I started Avarice, one part of the game was the Challenge thread in the Market place. Now, for some reason, I seem to have lost the thread, so here is the replacement, freshly unpacked.

What's it about then?

Well, you challenge me to put certain ideas or characters in the Avarice story. They can be small or large. Here are some actual examples:

A large hat, complete with appropriate weightage of wax fruit, to have a rightful place in the tale.

A land filled with the ruins of an ancient civilization, the people living there now are nomads who know nothing of the people who came before them.

The main character is the most apathetic, cheating, disgusting, smelling, ugly, miserable, stealing, worthless human being in the world- but you have to create a soft spot inside him.

The soft spot is his love for his daughter.

However, nothing is free in the Chinaren world, so these challenges will cost you Fables. How many depends upon the size and difficulty of the challenge.

A couple of rules though:

1. I reserve the right to refuse a challenge.

2. Minimum Fable challenge cost is 30Fables.

3. Please read the story before challenging, so you know what is acceptable and what isn't. Something like: A paladin rides up on a white horse wouldn't fit into the story, and hence would be rejected.

A necromancer who can control the dead is still a little off, but I could probably twist that one into the tale, as the dead are a major part of this world.

His gun runs out of power at a very bad time would be fine.

4. Don't pay until I have accepted the challenge, given you a price for it (and you agree to) and you have seen it in the story!

Post your challenges below! :D
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:  

A force unreckoned with (this could even be something such as a toppling building) saves our hero from death at the hands of his enemies.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: A force unreckoned with (this could even be something such as a toppling building) saves our hero from death at the hands of his enemies.

Challenge accepted D! :D Cost will be 30Fatbacks payable upon completion.
algu95

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject:  

A Necromancer, like you said above, gives help to or little nice (lol?) guy. This could be turned so that he is against our little nice guy (i.ve forgotten his name so i call him LNG, Lawful Neutral Good? Hehe). Sending fables now so you can continue this story with LNG, though you could also make LNG the necromancer, which would provide an intresting twist. As soon as you tell me how many fables i will send them, as long as i have them...
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject:  

I believe algu is referring to a protagonist, or at the very least a creature that is non-antagonistic and intergal to the story, with the ability to control the dead. I agree, but I would suggest a modification: the 'necromancer' has the ability to control not the dead, but instead all of the creatures that appeared after the first Great Killing. Simply, a Mancer. :o

Possibly algu is correct and our man Smur has Mantic capabilities which provoked his exile, unknown to him. Perhaps the shaman discovered these abilities and pressured the chief into ostracising and driving him out as a result. These capabilities lie dormant at the moment, but all you need is a little stress at the right time... a near-death situation involving an army of Shades perhaps... and BAM!

Deus ex machina unleashing, with the Shades uniting into one powerful creature which does something hideously destructive when it is fused with Smur as he calls all nearby energy into himself utilising his new-found abilities in a bit of overkill.

As this is done, it charges up the light cube incidentally also due to the massive amounts of energy radiating from him. When the deus ex machina burst ends, he collapses in the now very large crater around him, but the meter is nice, full and very green, with all of his enemies drained immensely of energy and turned into dry, lifeless husks.

Yes, I am quite willing to pay 30 Fables for that augment to algu's idea. :o
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject:  

:shock:

I'm er, not entirely sure of the exact challenge there Cross. :?

However, just to put the record straight, the necromancer is the 'melted man' in chapter 9.

I know I didn't put it in my original post, but I've added it now: Please don't submit any payment until I accept the challenge, calculate the cost and you've seen it in the story.

As is, I'm afraid to give Smur these powers would be a lot more than 30Fables, as that would be a major plot twist. He was expelled from the tribe too, but you'll have to read more to find out that tale... ;)
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject:  

I withdraw that suggestion, and reinput it in slightly altered form, as I believe I told you recently. What I was effectively trying to say, in my rambling and slightly chaotic way, is I wished for there to be a cutscene involving Smur against an army of Shades, wherein just before he dies his powers are unlocked in a deus ex machina burst that absorbs all of the Shades and their abilities as pure energy.

This lances out of him and blasts all of the pursuing beings out of existance in this plane, leeching them of energy and reducing them to lifeless, dry husks before he effectively explodes, resulting in a huge crater and leaving him unharmed himself but utterly drained mentally, albeit revitalised and healed physically.

He has time to recover, no one is following him, but he hasn't had anything to eat or drink, so he may be in dire straits anyway when he wakes up. Hopefully, however, the Draggon creature will encounter and, due to her abiding sense of morality, help him.

Not that any of that matters now, but hey! Might as well clarify these points when you can.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:  

Ah, I see. I've replied your PM.

Interesting idea though.
algu95

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:  

Crossfire has a point eh? Depsite the man is a necromancer (the melted man) Smur might have similar capabilities. Employ the Deus ex machina burst and those powers are revealed. The melted man might agree to help them if he may study Smur, or something like that. Or he might simply, as the dirty man he is, try to steal this power (that is actually necromancy, stealing life force or power from another entity).
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:  

Challenge: Draggon's tribe is building some kind of 'machine' which will open a hole in the sky (their hope is to find the 'blue skies'), but the machine will have an unexpected effect (it could be related to the end of the world).

Part of the challenge could possibly include the fact that Draggon's party had been dispatched as a last hope to find a 'natural' way to find the blue skies. Her tribe, however, had little hope they would succeed, and decide to use the 'machine' before the party's return.

Perhaps Smur and Draggon (knowing from the melted man of the end of the world) decide to stop the 'machine'.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:  

So... is my challenge accepted or simply placed within consideration?
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry D! I missed this. Yes, I think I can work that in. Challenge accepted! :D
algu95

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject:  

Bleh... Have ye forgotten me an' Crossies bids, or are ye just waitin' for da oppurtunity ta plac' it in ya' st'ry?
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:  

Well, I'm bearing it in mind. Cfire sent me a more detailed explanation. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit with what I have in mind, so I had to reject it for now. It may come along at some point though...
algu95

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:  

A'ight. Just be wonderin' her' and ther'.
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:  

I bid for the Taint removing therapy to be fast and effective.
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:  

Didn't see this post before I replied to your other other D!

The Taint therapy wouldn't be fast (enough) for what they are wanting here I think. I don't want to spoil the story by doing things that woudn't be 'realistic'. However, the therapy could have some benefits quite quickly, like making him regain some of his strength, or stop shaking so much or something within a few days.

Time is of the essence for the 'devils' now, and they are not likely to want to wait for a full recovery. It would be easier just to torture or threaten Smur!
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:  

I bid for a wolf to appear, a wolf wearing a tightly knotted, tattered, tye-died handkerchief around its neck. :cool:
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: I bid for a wolf to appear, a wolf wearing a tightly knotted, tattered, tye-died handkerchief around its neck. :cool:

Mmm. A wolf eh? I think I should be able to manage that.

Storygames Home -> Avarice - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1