Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 2.5- The Slim Man
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Chapter 2.5- The Slim Man  

And here's your favorite pirate and mine...the SLIM MAN! Enjoy!
---------------------------

Chapter Two pt 2: The Slim Man

Yunni led them to the worst district in town, where the streets were little more than mud and the shadows teemed with things that made the tips of the orphans ears turn red. Saul was covered in a full body blush, the embarrassment threatening to make a sunburn look like an even tan. Jasper looked at the stumbling, drunken Yunni again.

"Are you sure..."

"Of course I'm sure." Yunni snapped, a hiccup ruining his angry tone. Jasper locked eyes with Ambrois before rolling them. Time was wasting and Jasper could already feel the first signs of sickness building back up in his body, a few hours of contact was not enough. Yunni looked around, squinting. "I'm sure it's here somewhere..."

They were passing the seediest establishment yet, the sounds of a fight in progress nearly deafening, when a man stumbled out. He was flailing his limbs, and since he was an Arcex his wings were included in that, to attempt to keep his balance. As he flung back one of his arms he cracked Yunni across the head with the bottle the hand attached to that arm held.

The bottle shattered, turning into glittering bits of glass dust, and Yunni went down like a ton of bricks. The slim man, regaining his balance, turned to face them. He looked down and Yunni and squatted to get closer, dropping the broken bottle neck. "Sorry mate, you okay? Anything I can do for you?" He cupped a hand to his ear, obviously waiting for Yunni to reply. When Yunni didn't he smiled and straightened up. "No? In that case I've a fight to finish."

That said he turned around and marched, or staggered at any rate, back into the tavern. The orphans did their best to wake Yunni to no avail, the redoubled sounds of the bar-fight echoing in their ears. Jasper turned and debated marching into the tavern after the man but the fact that boards on the front were being blown off by the violence within put a damper on his temper. He was angry, not suicidal.

Suddenly several humans, and a Pluni, were flung out the doors causing the group to look up in interest. Staggering back out of the bar, fresh bottle in hand, was the slim man. The recently ejected drunken combatants took one look at the staggering, filthy figure and scrambled away as fast as their limbs and injuries would allow. The slim man only took a long pull off his fresh bottle, returning his attention to the clustered orphans.

He grinned at them, eyes shining through his grimy hair, and hoisted the bottle high. "Got me bottle back mates!" A frown creased his face as he stumbled over the still prone Yunni. Turning around he looked down and cocked his head. "Hey mate, you still lying there? Gotta get up, they don't like it when you lie there." He looked up at the orphans with a wink and a smirk. "Trust me. I know."

He walked around a bit, taking long pulls off his bottle, before he snapped is fingers, eyes alight. "I know! We can take him back to my ship until he wakes up! Least I can do seeing's how my vintage was a bit too much for him." He started to saunter off then realized that nobody was following him. He looked back down at Yunni. "Well don't just lay there mate. Come on!"

The orphans looked at one another a little bewildered but Jasper and Donovan each took one of Yunni's arms and, with Saul, Cobalt, and Ambrois in tow, followed the staggering slim man. For a moment, all was well, then the slim man staggered, nearly getting a face full of mud but somehow maintaining his balance. "Oh shit, I nearly forgot. Anybody have a friendly shoulder handy? C'mon mates, don't be shy. I don't have lice, ticks, or crabs...least not lately..."

For a moment none of the orphans moved, not one of them daring to get any closer to their strange guide than they had too. Ambrois studied him for a moment, eyebrows knitting. Something wasn't right about this man...something was...off. The drunkard was slim, almost painfully so, and would have been tall were he not so hunched over, most of the height coming from his legs. His hair and wings might once have been a rusty red but were now begrimed with shots of silver through them. His long coat was once some dark color, Ambrois hoped, but was now so spoiled with mud, filth, offal, and spilt spirits that it was some universally vile color. And the smell was none too pleasant. "Oh snap." He muttered.

Then, before he realized it, Ambrois found himself stumbling forward. He shot a nasty glance back at Cobalt and Saul, who were busy studying the sky and practicing their whistling, while the slim man wrapped an arm around him. "Too kind of ya mate. Got a name?"

"Ambrois." For a moment the slim man's pale eyes bored into his own as if searching for something. He muttered under his breath, too low for Ambrois to hear despite the slim man's lips being a scant foot from his ear. "What?"

"Nothing mate. Just anxious to get back to my ship. I don't like to leave her alone for too long...gives her...ideas." Ambrois glanced back over his shoulder with a 'this guy is a total fruitcake, a rum-soaked fruitcake' look. Jasper just gave him a hard stare, Donovan flicked an ear, Cobalt looked innocent, and Saul just snickered. This was going to be the longest walk of his life...
------------------------

They'd made it too the docks and had walked past rows of ships riding easy in the deep waters of the harbor. Each new beautiful ship made them gaze in awe that was barely concealed, or not concealed at all. The slim man, catching the drift of their gazes, muttered dire comments about each of the ships they passed. He pointed out flaws that might have been real or imaginary, the orphans with their lack of knowledge couldn't tell which.

Then, suddenly, the slim man pushed away from Ambrois. "There she is mates! Ain't she a beauty! Proud, strong, sleek, and swift...the fastest ship ever built! I made her with my own two hands with the sweat of my brow and the strength of my wings..."

For a moment the orphans were confused. There wasn't a ship fitting that description anywhere near this part of the docks, where the pilings were old and rotting timbers gave way underfoot. Indeed there was only an old scow, hardly more than a tub with sails, loosely tied with half-rotted ropes. To their horror it quickly became apparent that this was the ship the slim man was speaking of.

He ushered them on board, waving his bottle, and grinning like a fool. He reached out and grabbed Yunni by the hair, lifting his head to squint in his face. "Still out cold? Drop him over there." He indicated a spot only a few feet away before walking over to sit on a protruding bit of railing. He took a pull off the bottle then glanced down. Suddenly he was shouting. "Hey! Wipe your feet! You're getting filth all over my nice clean deck you dogs." He waved the bottle apologetically at Donovan. "No offense intended mate."

"None taken." The Canin youth replied easily, backing closer to Jasper with a worried look on his face.

The slim man looked from the deck to the bottle and back again several times. "Nah, I'd better not pour this on there. I don't want to be patching any holes in the planks." He shook his head before addressing the bottle. "Still, I can't believe kids these days. They go where they will, make messes out of other peoples property, and are generally pests. You understand don't you mate?" The bottle didn't reply so the slim man switched his attention to the deck.

"You don't like being covered in filth do you? I certainly don't." He gave a sharp glare at the orphans as Saul let out a burst of laughter that he quickly smothered with his hands. Both deck and man were equally filthy and the orphans couldn't figure out why the man was making such a big deal out of one more patch of mud. Or why he was talking to inanimate objects.

Jasper called a huddle and moved the group further away. "Okay guys, this fellow is playing with a few marbles short of a bag. I seriously doubt he was this Angelo Steel guy that Yunni was trying to find."

"But Jasper, he is an Arcex and there are only three Arcex pirates in all of history." Jasper shot Saul an indulgent look and the young boy blushed again before subsiding.

"I realize this Saul...but this guy might not even be a pirate. I'm pretty sure he's just your run of the mill drunk. Whatever he is and whomever he may be, he's of very little use to us. His ship, on the other hand, is."

"But Jasper, sweetie, it's a filthy old tub. We're better off trying to swim after Jade than taking this thing..." Ambrois interrupted Cobalt.

"Actually I've been looking around and there are telltale signs that this ship might actually be cloaked. We might be dealing with something far superior to what we're looking at." The orphans looked at Ambrois expectantly and he continued. "Judging by the quality of the illusion I'd say that the ship is roughly the same size as it seems but probably a bit newer and far more valuable. Cloaking like this isn't cheap and I seriously doubt an actual tub would be able to cope with the power requirements."

"So you're saying the ship might actually be decent?" Donovan's ears perked up and Ambrois nodded at him.

"It's got to have sizable power capability to run this...and that means good engines...good engines equal good speed..."

Jasper nodded sharply, recapturing attention. "Right then. I say we kick the drunk off the boat and get a move on." The other orphans looked at him as if he were crazy.

"You mean, Mutiny?" Saul shook his head. "I don't know Jasper..."

"Well since we're not this guy's crew, technically it's not mutiny."

"But we don't know how to sail this thing." Donovan's ears were drooping again and Jasper flashed him a smile.

"We don't but Yunni does. He can tell us what to do and we'll do it. I've got it all worked out."

Ambrois tapped Jasper on the shoulder. "I hate to tell you this but I think we can count Yunni out of the plan. Look." The orphans turned just in time to see the slim man take Yunni by the collar and waistband and hurl him off the ship.

"And don't come back!" They watched the drunk mutter some more, pick up his bottle, and begin pacing. Unable to tell what he was saying, they went back to planning.

"Alright so Yunni is out. I still think we should just try to take the ship, it'd be much safer that way...but I'm open to options..."
-------------------------------

What other options might there be?
------------------------

Hope you liked.
Mephistopheles

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject:  

good chappy, rai. humor is always good for pirates and children. But, i believe that they need to get the slim man to follow the other ship before they get thrown overboard as well. perhaps they could suggest that it carries some valuable vintage spirits, or that the owner mocked his little dingy and provoke him into following and fighting? good story though. thanks for the laughs!
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject:  

Yes, use the Slim man to fly the ship says I. Surely they can befuddle him in his drunken state.
Lilith

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:  

The trick is going to be outwitting him. Use the smoothest talker in the group, savvy? ;)
Hak

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject:  

Mutiny! Let's see what the kids can do!!! or what they can try to do.... o_0?
Rune

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:  

Considering his ability to survive that bar fight I think one of them, maybe Saul? (He's already my favorite) or Ambrois is going to pipe up and mention that. If he, drunk, was able to stagger away from a bar-fight of that magnitude while everyone else was unable to and it was likely him they were fighting, then I'd venture someone in the party would realize mutiny is out of the question. Furthermore, if the ship is cloaked as Ambrois has suggested, then he'd probably have some means of protecting it, especially from such a situation as a few people trying to take it over.

Logically, he's already allowed them on his ship and hasn't thrown them off-yet. Odds are they can convince him in his drunken state to take them someplace as a favor for knocking Yunni out.

That's the easiest and least risky endeavor and there seem to be at least two members of the group who would likely catch something like that.
dinranwen

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:  

*groans* Why do I have this horrible nagging feeling that it would be a very, very, very bad idea to take on this Slim Man even if he is, too all apperances, drunk? And why, may I ask, do I have a feeling that the Slim Man is not half-as-drunk as he pretends? And yes, I said pretend.

I say that they ask the Slim Man straight out if he is who they were seeking for to begin and then get down to barginning for his services...as civily, and as calmly as possible.

Also did I miss you describing Jade?

And where did the Blue-haired girl go? Is just me or did she very suddenly drop out of the picture?

Also I would like to know more about the bond the twins share, as well as the 'sickness' you keep on hitting at without explaining.

Curse you Rai but you've gotten my curiosity aroused!
Rune

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject:  

Din, I should have mentioned it earlier but I absolutely LOVE your new avatar. Will you marry me?

And just so this isn't entirely :off:
I'll second Dins comments as I sort of alluded to or directly stated in the post before hers.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:  

Right to answer a few questions...

1. I havn't described Jade yet Din. There's a particularly funny scene that has to do with her description coming up in the next two chapters. Just be paitent.

2. The blue-haired girl is Cobalt and she's still with the group making comments. Jasper might have left her behind but she took matters into her own hands. ;)

3. As far as the 'sickness' goes. It will slowly come to light as the story progresses. A developing sub-plot if you will....one of many in this SG.

4. The slim man is most definetly drunk. Infact he's so beyond drunk it isn't even funny...or well it is but you catch my drift...

Glad you're all having fun.
Mother Goose

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject:  

He may be definitely drunk but he certainly isn't incapacitated. "Mutiny" is a very bad idea, not only because of the slim man's fighting ability, but there's a hint the ship has a mind of its (or rather her) own.

As Rune said, he hasn't thrown them off the ship yet, and may be open to hearing their story and helping them. So F5 Din, talk to the man, very politely.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject:  

Finally caught up, I found this very entertaining! Keep the slim man aboard for now. It would be a shame to lose him so soon.

:)
solus.serpen

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:  

Yey! Another SG I can follow! :)

Well, only just caught up, and voted for the latter option as expected.
I can only see minor sp/gr mistakes of which I'm too tired to currently point out.
Apart from that...very nice. I think you've got a good balance between having different plot lines and making it too confusing, Rai.

I'm extremely surprised and elated that I didn't miss the poll for once! :D - I allways miss the polls...

Anyway, I will be eagerly waiting for the next chapter,

~Solus ;)
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject:  

New chappy in the next few days! Till then...hang on!
Mephistopheles

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject:  

man, i missed the poll too. maybe i should wait until like the poll is up to read the next chapter, that way i won't miss it! ah well.

Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars
Page 1 of 1