Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 2- The Kidnapping
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Chapter 2- The Kidnapping  

Sorry it took so long. There are time issues...And I still had to do two parts damn it! Still Enjoy!
--------------

Chapter Two pt 1: The Kidnapping!

With a sideways glance at his fellow orphans, Jasper stood and walked to the doorway where the Controller stood. He waited for the Controller's smile to fade but it didn't. If anything it grew wider and more vile. He said nothing as he turned, expecting Jasper to mutely follow. Jasper shot an inquiring look over his shoulder at the other boys but all they offered him were empty hands and shrugged shoulders. With a sigh Jasper followed the Controller to Crowley's office.

The door swung open and, for a moment, all Jasper could see was his sister. The two quickly embraced, the contact erasing all the physical stress of their forced separation, cleansing the sickening build up from their systems. As their fingers linked, so did their minds as their barriers dropped. The rush brought with it the lost sensations of the past five days as the twins matched up perfectly.

So you did go out again.

Of course. You think I'd let Crowley stop the deal from going down?

If you did you wouldn't be my brother. Have you looked at it yet?

No, haven't had time. Besides, I'd like you to be there. The conversation would have continued but Crowley cleared his throat, none too happy about their talking in ways he couldn't eavesdrop on. Reluctantly the twins tore their attention off of each other and turned it to him.

"In your seats children." Jade's restraining grip on Jasper's arm tightened as she felt her brother's muscles bunch in anger. Almost instantly that need for violence drained out of Jasper and he shot Jade a mental thank you. She was his pressure valve, her unflappable calm the match to his sudden violence. Without him she'd lack the will to resist. Without her, he'd lack the will to relax.

Crowley cleared his throat again, a smile twisting his features in a cruel and calculating way. "It seems a long lost relative has come forward to claim you at last. Madam Boquet, please step in." The twins heads' turned as another door opened to admit a tall, slender woman richly dressed in off-world silks. She was no longer young and no longer beautiful, observing the world with jaded, knowing eyes.

"It's Bouchie darling. Say it with me, boo she a with a long a sound at the end." Crowley flapped away her correction and motioned toward the children. The woman took one look at the twins and then looked back to them.

"A girl and a BOY? Oh, I thought they were twin girls. It'll never do, I've no use for the boy. Keep him, I'll just be taking the girl." She held out her hand. "This means you'll only get half the money..." Crowley scowled and the haggling began.

Nobody thought to remove Jasper from the room during this little escapade and he was becoming more and more furious by the moment. Jade continued to tighten her grip but quickly reached her limits of restraint as her own slight temper began to flair in response to her brothers. Finally she just let go. He shot her a quick look, as if asking for permission, before standing and cracking his knuckles.

"I think there's a fatal flaw with your math..."
-------------------

The other boys in the room had known something was up the moment a blood covered Jasper kicked the door of the room in, Jade in tow. "That's it, we're leaving! Anybody who wants to come with us, pack your shit now!" Naturally the other three boys had been ready in moments. Jasper had changed his jacket and grabbed a few choice things from his trunk, the record cube chief among them, when a slim figure appeared in the door.

"You boys ready? Here Jade, I brought your things." The new girl walked straight up to Jasper and stood on tip-toe to kiss him. "I always told you that temper of yours would get you in trouble didn't I?"

Jasper rolled his eyes and Ambrois snorted. "I didn't see you teaching him any relaxation tips Cobalt." The blue-haired girl stuck her tongue out at the Arcex and Saul laughed.

"Relaxation...that's funny cuz Jasper..." One look at Jasper's face had Saul swallowing hard. "Never mind."

"If everyone is done making jokes at my expense can we get the hell outta here?" As quickly as that they were on their way, slipping past the closed doors that led to other dormitories, meeting not one other soul.

Out in the street they quickly started off for the docks, following Jasper's lead. He talked quickly, outlining the plan as it came to him. "We'll start by finding Yunni and seeing if he can hook us up with any of his old contacts. I'm sure we can find a ship willing to take us off-world if we're willing to work hard enough. A merchant, cargo-hauler, long distance runner...anything."

"Even a pirate ship." The party stopped to look at Saul who quickly blushed. After they resumed walking he muttered quietly to himself about having his dreams squashed and what was wrong with them becoming pirates, pirates were cool right? Still the party pressed on, ignoring the strange looks they got from passerby until they reached the outer fringes of the docks. For a moment they debated splitting up but decided to stick together. The crabs were rumored to be so big in certain 'houses of ill repute' that they were used to recruit customers and employees alike.

They figured they'd just go tavern by tavern until they found Yunni, who from Jasper's account, was already drunk beyond the point of walking straight. They headed for the Inn of the Black Tramp, where Jasper had last met with Yunni scant hours ago, only to find he'd already left. The wench shook her head in exasperation, curls and cleavage bouncing.

"I can't say where he went, only can tell ye he staggered out a hour or so ago." A sailor pinched her ample behind causing her to whirl around and slap him hard across the face. Her sudden motion knocked a glass off the table and Jade bent down to fetch it for her in an attempt at kindness. Something flashed in the dim tavern light, the silver of the pendant around Jade's neck catching what little illumination there was.

Jade quickly straightened and tucked it back into her shirt, looking around in the vain hope nobody had noticed. That pendant was the only item that tied her to her mysterious parents. A flat silver disk, with a faint resemblance to a curled feather, that bore her name in flowing script. Jasper had one just like it with his name. They'd been found wearing them and attempts to remove them by persons interested in their sale had met with disastrous unsuccess.

The wench hadn't noticed a thing, only smiled as Jade handed her the glass. Jasper and Jade shared a quick glance but as their eyes roved the room they could see nobody expressing overt interest. Maybe the brief glitter had gone unnoticed after all. Jasper returned to business. "Well he's not hear. I suppose we should try the Stumbling Block, he frequents there as well."

Having no better suggestions the group followed Jasper out, not noticing the bulky figure that quickly paid his tab when they left. They hadn't gone more than ten paces when hands suddenly reached from behind to grab Jade, quickly bundling her up to silence her scream. But no amount of cloth could cut off her mental shriek to Jasper.

"AFTER HIM!" The group turned to follow the kidnapper but he was already fading into the distance. Realizing they had no hope in hell, or the humans and Arcex didn't, of catching him Jasper turned to Donovan. "I don't care who you knock into the mud, tail that guy." With a nod Donovan dropped to all fours and sped off. Narrowing his eyes Jasper homed in on Jade's signal. "Follow me."
---------------------------

They stood on the edge of the pier watching the fading star that was the ship carrying Jade exit the atmosphere. Tears stood in Jasper's eyes for a moment before being burned away by fury. Ambrois coughed. "Well that settles it. We've got to find a ship." Jasper glared at him.

"You think?"

Donovan whined. "Settle down Jasper. All we've got to do is find Yunni and ask him. Maybe he knows something about a one-eyed Canin who likes to abduct young girls." For a moment more Jasper stared into the sky before turning, a fury born purpose revealed in every move of his body. He seemed...dangerous suddenly, a stranger to those who knew him best.

"Let's go."
--------------------------

Saying you're going to find Yunni is one thing...finding him is another. The group was weary and bedraggled when they finally found Yunni One-hand snoozing in a half full tankard in the Blind Dog tavern. The group had to restrain Jasper to keep him from flinging the drunken former pirate against the wall. Finally, Yunni roused and turned a bleary eye on them, repeating their words in a slurry voice.

"You want a ship?"

"Yes Yunni, Jade was kidnapped, we need a ship." Ambrois was patient, explaining twice and thrice. Repeating himself as often as needed until Yunni finally seemed to get the hint.

"Kidnapped...not Jade! She was such a bonnie lass...bright and beautiful. Reminded me of someone I knew once...can't quite remember who..."

"Never mind that! What can you tell us about a one-eyed Canin!" Yunni blinked a few times.

"Sounds familiar...lemme see the cube." Slowly Jasper fished it out of his pocket, watching as Yunni fumbled around with his good hand until he got it working. In a few moments he brought up a selection of holos of various one-eyed Canin pirates. Slowly he scrolled through the faces until Jasper stopped him.

"That's him! That's the bastard." Yunni blinked several times and stared at the face Jasper indicated. He shook his head, face paling under his permanent tan.

"Oh this is bad. That's Marcus Moody, Mad Dog Marcus...he was Mange's first mate for years until getting his own ship recently. Kidnapping isn't his style though...I'd bet my last bottle that he's doing Mange's dirty work again. And that means he's headed for Contella..."

Yunni stood, swaying, and stared Jasper right in the eye. "You'll need more than a ship boys...you'll need a captain with motivation enough to take on Mange himself. An there ain't many of those around anymore."

"There's got to be someone!" Yunni turned to look at Saul as the young man blushed furiously at the outburst.

"There happens to be one that I know of. He's got plenty of reason and is just crazy enough to do it...He used to frequent a tavern around here. I can only hope he's still around..."
-------------------

There's that...hang on for the rest.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject:  

Masterweaver wrote: Spamity spamity spam!

Okay, I know you said not to post, but I just had to put in my twenty cents. First great chapter, though here is spelled hear somewhere... Secondly, I suggest taking the drunk too. Extra hand, extra knowledge, extra hostage, extra moola... What's to lose?

This Spamagram has been brought to you by Cren Hackers, who are absoluty seperate from our mayor.

I told you not to post for a reason MW, that reason being the second half of this chapter was already written...and your suggestion was already taken. Somebody has to lead them to where this captain might be found...

Storygames Home -> Galleons of the Stars
Page 1 of 1