Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

What is Arena?
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Arena
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: What is Arena?  

Hi everybody,

I wanted to let you all know about a game that chinaren and I have been developing. It's a two-player online strategy game called Arena in which you can create a magical or tech army and then battle your opponent. It's kind of like Magic the Gathering, but with much more opportunities for creativity in coming up with your own creatures, items, and spells.

It's still in the early stages, but everything we've got so far is online; you can read the FAQ, view the basic or advanced rules, see the basic and advanced creatures used to play it, and take a sneak peek at the gameboard/chat area.

The game is eventually going to be much more extensive. But while this is in its early stages, we're asking IFians to help playtest it and give us feedback to make it better.

So if you have a chance, take a look and let us know what you think.

Thanks!

:-)
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject:  

Just for the record, my zombies whupped Lordy's orcs this morning.
Key

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: Just for the record, my zombies whupped Lordy's orcs this morning.

I saw that! Tell me how you did it - he beat my zombies bad earlier.
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject:  

My necromantic skills came to the fore.

Actually, it was bloody close at one point, I thought I was going under. Indeed, I was going under, but then I managed to kill one of his men and split him up. After that it was merely a matter of burying him in jungle whilst I marched to victory.

:rock:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject:  

I call a foul. And it doesn't count.

I..er...was sleepy. Yes, that's it. Mean old Mayor, picking on people at 4am. You should be ashamed.
Evilhomer28

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:  

sounds good, i'll play someone soon.
DELETED

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
Key

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject:  

Hey everybody,

Glad to hear that there's some interest in playtesting. :D

Do you want to set up some regular times when whoever can make it can gather? chinaren and I meet most Sundays at 7pm Pacific time, which is 10pm Eastern, 2am GMT.

Generally evenings during Pacific time would be good for me, though I could possibly make some mornings around 11am (2pm Eastern, 6pm GMT). What about everyone else?
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:  

*sulks* Lordy took advantage of me when I was sick and tired, after a long day's doing whatever I planned to do that day. I still don't believe Zombies, being made of rotting flesh and moving rather slowly anyway, can traverse a Water square. At the very least they should have some kind of movement penalty... *considers suggesting this in the IFki*

Nevertheless, good game.
Evilhomer28

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject:  

6pm (GMT) is little early to come back from college. about a half an hour extra?
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject:  

Ah, yes, I did have a peek in there, and had a look at the rules. But I'm mainly busy exploring the Inn. It has a garden now!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:  

Lordy is doing a masterclass in the Arena right now. Tramp is his unsuspecting pupil and there is a crowd of IFians in there chanting and shaking our pom poms!

:D
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:  

Are you going to change it into something more advanced in later stages?
Key

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, definitely. Some thing to be added are:

items (normal and magical)
creatures with magic powers
magic spells
creating and saving your own armies
saving and replaying game history

Update: integrating the game into the new chat is another thing on the list

any preferences as to which happens first?
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject:  

replaying history would be very useful I think!
Rune

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject:  

Integration is probably the most important thing, followed by magic and then items.

As a game developer I can say that having a magic system in place first allows you some advantage when making items that will use magic- even if not using the system. There is generally going to be some streamline in coding as well. While I am no code expert, I know a bit of various languages and programming archetype to be able to say that tentatively.
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject:  

Occasionally there may be bugs in the Arena Board or other areas. I suggest that we try and ramp up the amount of people that play in Arena and get those people to report any errors they find. Also, I personally would like a representation of the King on the board, for both players. It's always useful to have a visual target... ;)

One last thing- I would like for there to be some kind of ability to update the amount of points each player has, so that we can keep track in Hex Carryover games (see the Suggested Rules). It seems to work best if it's limited to about a turn's charge and it does make the game longer, but it's an excellent idea with the classic Orcs V. Zombies scenario and adds an interesting element.

One, very last thought... This post and any others that are relevant should be moved to an Arena Suggestions thread, somewhere in Games or the Open Forum. That's it... *tips an imaginary hat and fades*
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject:  

One point just to note here folks.

The Arena board as is now, is not the actual end product. It's just something Key put together to aid playtesting. The plan is to have a proper game with special software 'n everything.
Rune

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject:  

That's good to know. The game has potential. It can be lotsa fun
Key

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: replaying history would be very useful I think!
Yes, given the number of people who are playing ad hoc, I agree that should be the first priority. That will let us to see how each game went.

Rune wrote: Integration is probably the most important thing, followed by magic and then items.
Can you say why you think integration with the new chat is important? I know Kalanna said that her computer was having trouble with the old chat, are you having trouble too, or is there some other reason?

Rune wrote: As a game developer I can say that having a magic system in place first allows you some advantage when making items that will use magic- even if not using the system. There is generally going to be some streamline in coding as well. While I am no code expert, I know a bit of various languages and programming archetype to be able to say that tentatively.
Yes, I agree. We've already got a draft of the basic magic system worked out (and described in the Advanced Rules) - it's just more of a question of what aspect of it we flesh out and put into testing first.

Crossfire wrote: One last thing- I would like for there to be some kind of ability to update the amount of points each player has, so that we can keep track in Hex Carryover games (see the Suggested Rules). It seems to work best if it's limited to about a turn's charge and it does make the game longer, but it's an excellent idea with the classic Orcs V. Zombies scenario and adds an interesting element.
I'm glad someone has already started testing the variants :D If we do go with Hex Carryover as an official rule, I will program that into the board. But I want to get a few more games of it before we make that decision. Hopefully once I get the history programmed in, we'll all be able to see the games as well and get a better idea of what you mean.

Crossfire wrote: One, very last thought... This post and any others that are relevant should be moved to an Arena Suggestions thread, somewhere in Games or the Open Forum. That's it...
Yes, that's a good idea. I'll keep this thread for general Arena info and start a new one for suggestions and rules discussion.
dinranwen

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:  

I've glad to see that this has become an official game. It was fun to play the few times I've played, and I hope that is developed to its full potential.
Rune

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:  

My comment about integration was based on me believing that the current programmed situation was what would be worked from. So I know how important it is to have a very good foundation in a game-since it seperates most of the good ones from the bad ones. If you were going to use the current settup as the games base- then integration would be paramount as well as stabilizing the code and streamlining everything so that any updates or editions worked well.

But it was later mentioned that this is just to get playtesting in and that the real game will have it's own client and whatnot- which nullifies the need to integrate the game very thoroughly at the moment.
Key

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:  

Arena now has a history function that allows you to see the moves of past games.

Key

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject:  

We've now got a page of magical items, with the ability to add new ones. Adding new ones is not exactly user-friendly, but if you think about what might be cool, let me know and I'll help you get it in there.

I've also added a new Advanced rule - "targeted" attacks that let you decide which of your opponents' creatures you're killing.
Key

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject:  

I made some more changes, the biggest of which is the ability to add special or magic abilities to creatures. Check it out and add your own creatures, if you like...
Bookwizard

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:  

arrg, i still cant figure out how to play arena, but it still looks like a gret game
Key

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:  

The best way to figure it out is to have someone who knows the game well, like me or Chinaren give you a quick tutorial. PM me if you see me on, and I will be happy to teach you.

Bookwizard

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:  

ok, the problem is every time i check, there is never anyone on ;)
Key

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:  

What time is good for you? Maybe we can set up a time.
Bookwizard

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:  

well spisifikly, around 4:00 on 11/11/7, that is if i remember :lol: but i suppose that would be a sufficant time for me. o-)
Key

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:  

Well, you have to give a tme zone too. 4:00 can be many times...

o-)
Bookwizard

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:  

good point there, lets see at that date, all most likly be in the....... you know, i flaet around all the diffrent parts of the world in one day so much, i really dont know, but i think am fine, lordy showed me a bit and that really helped, all just see, whos on when i go on, and play then :D :D ;)

Storygames Home -> Arena
Page 1 of 1