Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 6
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Bittersweet Reverie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Chapter 6  

The story so far: Robbie is a boy with an overactive imagination. He can talk to the ghost of his dead brother, but his parents are distressed when he reveals this fact to them. His brother's ghost, in order to console Robbie, offers to transport him to a different world where people will appreciate his imagination. Robbie wakes up in a different world, sure enough, but it isn't as wonderful as he expected. There is only barren terrain and faraway industrial towns. Then he notices a large figure approaching, which turns out to be a man he befriends, and who, in place of his name 'Citizen 103', he calls Jack. Robbie and Jack descend towards one of the towns, where they encounter a guard. Fortunately, they distract him and evade him, and then decide to visit Jack's farm. On the journey there, Jack divulges his admiration for his grandfather, who appears to have been a man of some importance. Jack's farm turns out to be a small shack with a tiny plotland. Once Jack gets some papers there, which he uses to prove to a factory boss that he has completed his work for that day, they drive back to town in an old motorcycle. When they approach the factory, they are again confronted by someone, except this time, the woman who confronts them, Citizen 2, seems to be someone powerful. She orders Jack away into the factory and commands Robbie to follow her into a certain room, where Robbie meets Citizen 1, otherwise known as Bill. Bill demonstrates to Robbie that he can create a bird simply by visualizing it, which he does. Robbie is wonder-struck by this strange power and demands to know more, and Bill offers his assistance. Bill helps Robbie control the world around him with his imagination- he even learns how to sprout wings and fly. Bill leads Robbie to a church where he amasses treasures taken from the populace. He explains that this world lost its imagination long ago, and that its people have no capacity of creativeness. That's why Robbie is so important; he does have imagination, and a lot of it. However, Robbie is betrayed; Bill intends to use Robbie's imagination as a source of fuel to run his factory. Bill traps Robbie with handcuffs that limit his ablities, and then Citizen 2 leads him to a strange room which contains a machine. In this room, there is a girl strapped to a machine already, and the machine seems to be devouring her imagination. Fortunately, the machine malfunctions, and Citizen 2 must find someone to fix it. She gives Robbie enough time to think of an escape plan, however, and he manages to reverse the flow of imagination through a hose attached to the valve. He blasts his enemies as they come back, and liberates the girl, Noemie, in the process, although they cannot understand each other because she is French. Jack aids in their escape from the factory after turning traitor to Bill and re-evaluating his grand-father's principles. The kids must decide how to continue their escape...

Chapter 6

The sun in its slow descent beyond the horizon retired seemingly weary, disillusioned by the many impurities it had witnessed that day upon earth. In its stead, the moon arose into the sky; it appeared a vigorous sentinel tower, combing the land with its searchlight beams, hunting and exposing those who sought to hide in the dark mantle of night.

Robbie felt like a fugitive under the moon, towing Noemie behind him, running here and there, avoiding any patch of light- usually a pastel of fainting sunlight intermixed with strengthening moonlight. Have I done anything wrong? Why do I feel so guilty? He had always been afraid of the dark, and yet tonight, he understood its comforts. Every cat is a black cat at night; no man is different from the rest under the cover of darkness.

"Noemie, do you know how to drive a moped?” whispered Robbie to his golden-haired companion, whose fair color was dimming in accord with the sun’s descent.

“Quoi?” she demanded.

“Nevermind, I’ll have to learn myself. There’s no other way out.” Robbie grimaced. They approached the deserted street where Jack had parked the moped. It was still there, glimmering eerily in the moonlight. They approached silently.

Robbie motioned for Noemie to sit behind, and he himself took control of the moped handles; he kicked in the brake and the moped’s weight threw him off balance, tipping over vehicle and passengers. Grumbling, Robbie mounted the machine again, this time positioning himself carefully so as to be able to balance himself. Fortunately, the moped was light and not impossible for Robbie to control, but the handcuffs would make it hard to make sharp turns.

Hesitantly, Robbie began cranking the vehicle’s engine with his foot. The motor rumbled half-chokingly, exciting the still night, and Noemie held on tighter to Robbie’s waist. Then Robbie turned the starter visciously and the moped sprung into motion like a cheetah.

Robbie clung to the handles, unconsciously revving up the engine further; unfortunately, he had started the motor facing in the opposite direction of where he intended to go, and he was rushing a mile a minute through slanted streets and stone houses without any sense of direction, raising hell and loud sputterings. The best Robbie could do was to keep from falling off.

Time, once again, seemed slower than reality. At every last moment, Robbie would instinctively steer out of the way of an obstacle which, if they but scraped, would surely deliver them into the maws of death.

It so happened, that as Robbie was beginning to overcome the wild vehicle and slow down, a different kind of sound invaded the night. It was a loud crack, a jolt, the sound of a gunshot. A window beyond Robbie’s head blew up, breaking and crashing inwardly. The boy loosened his hands in fear, and the moped, like a tame wolf in the wild, shivered and swiveled right and left in confusion before plunging into its doom against a wall. Gathering some scrapes on their arms and legs, Robbie and Noemie were flung into a heap of garbage bags, a conspicuous symbol of industrialization in a medieval town.

They got up in a daze. The figure of pinched-nosed Thomas was visible on a faraway rooftop, his rifle outlined against a backdrop of moonlight. Beyond the two children was the open plaza, an easy shot for the rifleman sniper. Without a chance for rest, Robbie grabbed Noemie as gently as the circumstances permitted, and helped her through the recently shattered window. Before climbing in, Robbie observed that the building was large and of archaic design, but that it was set slightly apart from the other houses, and this distinct positioning, along with the smoothness of the stones, indicated that it was more contemporary than the other edifices. It was hard to tell in the blackness, but the sign hanging solemnly over the front door seemed to read a single, ponderous word, Museum.

Robbie and Noemie slithered inside, like alert, vigilant cats, holding their breaths. There were objects all around, none were visible in the obscurity. Noemie bumped into a shadow and it fell fom its resting spot. She picked it up, squinting in the darkness.

“Qu’est-ce que on va faire?” she spoke. It wasn’t a whimper or a complaint, she was too grateful to simply be alive, regardless of the danger. Robbie sighed, then, spotting an old banister staircase, he began climbing. He soon realized that despite the banister’s ancient appearance, its texture and sturdiness were more befitting to a recent construction. It had been made to look old deliberately.

They climbed to the last floor, guided only by the idea of extending the distance between the rifle and themselves. They were silent, and the panic growing steadily within, when footsteps resounded from downstairs and the lights turned on. Robbie listened hard; it was a single pair of footsteps. They dodged into any room, and now they could see every object and its corresponding plaque under the soft museum light.

Everything was meticulously placed as in any museum, except that there was a certain fastidious tendency of emphasizing a particular detail in every item. There was a darregotype of a man wielding an axe, and yet his body motions were contrived, his smile overly toothy, his beard too bushy to be comfortable. On the left wall hung an array of women’s clothings, peppered with holes that were all too round and perfectly circular. On the right wall was positioned an old ukulele, its front side excessively scratched, and its strings worn out, but when Robbie turned it around, it was immaculate. Fastened in place in the middle of the room was a knight’s armor with hives of rust and dull metal painted on in unnatural patterns, even though the plaque avowed it's authenticity.

Noemie was holding the object she had previously picked up, now visible in the light, a teddy bear. Robbie glanced at it depreciatively, and Noemie set it down with a certain reluctance, but after a moment she clung it to herself with greater infatuation. And who’d dare at that moment, or indeed any moment, cause that girl to be removed from the object of her affection, which she so tenderly and innocently embraced, inspiring one’s own desire for comfort, love, and protection?

If there were only something here to break my cuffs. Robbie darted into another room as he heard the footsteps begin to climb the stairs. On a table lay a hefty butcher’s knife. To get rid of the handcuffs, I can chop off my hands, then imagine them back on! He carried the the knife back to Noemie, who shuddered as he attempted to explain his plan. She negated with her head once and again, and shrunk from him further and further until he abandoned the idea.

Curiously, another room contained a few objects concerning a rebellion of some sort. A picture of a group of rough looking men was centered on the wall. Detached from the main group in the picture, a man with kind-hearted eyes was holding a little boy's hand; a little boy remarkably similar in appearance to Jack. The plaques denounced the rebels as rabble-rousers and anarchists

Rushing from room to room as Thomas’ footsteps explored each floor, Robbie finally stumbled upon a room introduced by its tripod-sign as Nature v.s Modernization. This room, too, was arranged elaborately, but contrary to all others, not gaudily ornate. It was comprised exceedingly by text rather than pictures or objects. What few items there were: a spinning jenny, a harpoon and coil of rope most likely belonging to an erstwhile whaling ship, a steel plough, a slingshot and a pouchful of pellets, a bicycle, a sliding pulley.

Nature must be exploited by man, read one of the texts. This room, so well hidden, was enlivened by its author’s sincerity, because the texts seemed adressed to the himself, not to the audience; a reflection rather than an overbearing demonstration. He even contradicted himself in another tablet, Nature, the source of holiness, inspiration, imagination. Robbie strode to the window and looked about him, measuring the distance to the opposite building, which he calculated to be only twenty feet away. Could he launch the harpoon that far, then escape by sliding down the rope on the pulley?

As he hurried out of the room, he glanced at another exposition and it caught his eye, compelling him to return and read it. Wilderness is Waste, or God's architecture? The bible insists we waste not our talents or resources, as in the Parable of the Talents, and yet it menaces that "...if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you" (Leviticus 18:26, 28). Isn't mankind's greatest talent that of conquering the untamed frontier and creating from the wild thorns magnificent structures such as longhouses, castles, and skyscrapers? What jealousy is God's that He may dazzle mankind by His awesome creation but prohibit the exploitation of it? We are but plastic models laid upon the earth to embellish those greens valleys and rivers; a shepherd boy that guides his sheep through those dales He watches as we do an orchestrated school of fish, more so if the shepherd steers men and not cattle. "The land shall not be sold in perpetuity, for the land is mine; with me you are but aliens and tenants" (Leviticus 26:3-4). Don't forget, we are strangers upon the land where we were born; ne'er must we conceive that we can distort the landscape, else we shall be punished by the fury of the all-powerful. Then I forsake this God! If He shall strike me down with thunder, then I shall first build a lightning rod to counter it!

The boy frowned; he couldn't quite understand the meaning of the passage, but the tone alerted him to a presence of rebelliousness and ill-fate. Yet, the real reason Robbie had returned was because there was a large, beautiful picture of a redwood forest below the passage. It reminded him of his family vacation; he and his brother, running amongst the dark limbs, hiding in a hollow trunk, breathing in the solemn, fresh atmosphere. What would his brother advise him to do now, as pinched-nosed Thomas' footsteps and the rattle of his firearm became more and more audible?
Mephistopheles

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:  

take the harpoon and stab thomas with it! or use the rope to tie and subdue him if death isn't deemed necessary yet.

good chapter, with lots of vivid descriptions. Nice D. keep up the good work.
The Dark

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject:  

Indeed. Suitably gloomy and cheerless. But French? Pah, even The Dark is not that depraved.

Still, my erstwhile colleague above has the right of things. The harpoon, given the element of suprise, will do the job. Use the girl as bait. If she's French she has no other real use.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:  

Nice one D! Mmm. I still say if he can get the cuffs off he's onto a winner.

Much as the harpoon and slingshot has to be tempting, he's probably not going to be able to use them first go, especially restrained. Maybe if they can't get the cuffs off they both grab something heavy and wait behind the door.
CunningFox

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject:  

Didn't the last chapter say he should get the cuffs off? I f5 the above, he should be able to get them off somehow and fighting is probably going to end badly for them.

Run!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject:  

This synopsis idea at the top of the chapter is very useful!

What would Robbie's brother advise him to do now? Well, Robbie's dead brother was responsible for transporting him here, where people would appreciate his imagination. He can't use it as a special power now, but it shouldn't stop him from being able to think. Maybe that was his brother's real reason for sending him here. So I would think his brother would have said to him 'use your brain'.

The museum is full of false things pretending to be authentic. There is more to this museum than meets the eye, and it should be explored. Otherwise he is just forever going to be on the run.

With the handcuffs on he won't be able to do much, but with Naomi's help, he should be able to use the slingshot and pellets to make a noise as far away from them as possible, distracting their attacker to another part of the building to buy more time. The harpoon rope they could use to capture and incapacitate him, but I'm not sure if they would be able to manage that easily.

They have a communication problem, but he should be able to get her to understand what he wants her to do, even with the handcuffs on.

So I would say - first and foremost - distract Thomas with the pellets and slingshot.
Bookwizard

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:  

wow, mysterious...hmmmmmmm, lets see, I believe that robbie should get the harpoon and hide in the shadows, when thomas is turned around he should shot him in an unfatal place and then grab the riffle from him and try to get some information about this world and citizen #1 and what not out of him.
Aponi

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:  

Block the door first, whatever you do!

There. The one thing I've always wanted to shout to those people in the horror movies. Also, never run upstairs, but it's too late for that. Why does everybody run up the stairs? The only place to go is out the window or on the roof.

Hmmm... They could try to trap Thomas in one of the rooms - he probably lacks the imagination to get out. And then they could go down the stairs like normal people and not break their necks trying the harpoon/rope/pulley thing.

Or, they could call the flying donkey. Just because his imagination isn't supposed to work now doesn't mean that anything he created before isn't still there.

Or, Noemi could, if she's regained her imagination, imagine the teddy bear is a real bear, and sic'em on Thomas - though she might be too squeamish to do that. Though to tell the truth, having all-powerful imagination does nothing for the story.

This is a very good chapter by the way, though the descriptions are a little lush for my taste.
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject:  

Polling

I didn't expect to create such a great poll; thanks for using your heads, everyone! Some of the ideas really surprised me.

Quote: Though to tell the truth, having all-powerful imagination does nothing for the story.

Well, I don't want to make it too easy, Aponi.

Quote: Didn't the last chapter say he should get the cuffs off?

True, CunningFox, but not much was suggested as to how to do this- Robbie tried to convince Noemie to cut off his hands, but she refused. I must always incorporate the winning option into the story, but I do not guarantee that the venture will be successful. It all depends on the characters, the setting, and atmosphere. Again, making everything fit in according to the reader's wishes is too easy; in fact, I think it would make you unsatisfied if everything occurred according to your plan.

Happy Voting :D
Bookwizard

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject:  

Wow I must say aponi, you have mind of a writer, and an excellent reader, good suggestions.

I was torn between trapping him in the room and tying him, I decided on tying him, because I believe that robbie needs a good source of information on the greater scheme of things before he continues on his quest. Without this, the reader will be left in suspense for to long and there will be less possibilities on what robbie could do later. If thomas were simple locked in the room, then robbie would be able to escape yes, but without the information, where if he injured and tied up thomas, it would give him a good source of information, and he could lock the room on his way out and escape...

and who voted for the flying donkey :lol:
Bookwizard

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject:  

Come on just two more votes... as I said in my previous post, robbie needs to have a basis of information so that more possibilities can be opened up in the future.
Mother Goose

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:  

Don't know how much information they can get from Thomas - he's only a guard. But he may know something helpful without knowing that he knows. So I'll tie it up (and him). Any knowledge is better than none.
Bookwizard

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject:  

Thats exactly what am trying to say, its a two in one deal, if you just leave him there you wont get any information, if you tie him up you will escape and get some information however little it may be...
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject:  

How do Robbie and Noemie evade capture?
Use harpoon to injure Thomas, then tie him. Use Noemie as bait if necessary. Then interrogate Thomas.
30% [ 3 ]
Use slingshot and pellets to distract Thomas and then trap him within a room. If the tactic is successful, explore the museum further.
50% [ 5 ]
Use the whistle to call the flying donkey.
20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10
Who Voted: Aponi, bookwizard, Chinaren, Crunchyfrog, D-Lotus, Mephistopheles, Mother Goose, NeverNeverGirl, Scheherazade, Zephyr

Thank-you everybody for your votes! The winning option was to distract Thomas with the slinghsot and then trap him within a room.

I will begin writing tomorrow; hopefully I'll have the chapter completed by sunday afternoon!
Bookwizard

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:  

That sounds great, I like that this story goes fast, so that you never really have to wait that long, and that its so exhilarating and fun to read. I would have had the story go in a bit of a different way then the readers choose, but so be it, doesn't make so much of a difference, and on the bright side it will leave more mystery and excitement, which always makes a good story. *stares at blank screen of computer absently waiting for next chapter*
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, after that reply by bookwizard, this is the ideal time to make this announcement:

I spent all Saturday at my friend's house and I didn't get any writing done. In addition, I have a ton of homework to do today... That means It's going to have to wait until next sunday, unless some miracle occurs. Sorry folks.

-Dept. of Empty Promises
Bookwizard

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:  

What! I put all my faith in you, I trusted you, you have committed a crime so horrible that you shall parish in burning fire... well on second thought I think I can wait ;) :lol:
OldJoe

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject:  

Ah missed the poll, but ahl be waitin' fer the next un Mr. Lotus. Fine work still, keep em coming.
Gallant

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject:  

I just caught up on this SG and I like it a lot. I don't think I've read anything quite like this either, very original. Pity I missed the vote, hope to see the next chapter soon. :D

Storygames Home -> Bittersweet Reverie
Page 1 of 1