Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Yahoo: Mind over Magic
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Start Here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Yahoo: Mind over Magic  

Below is one of the three characters that you can play in the Battle to the End tournament. If you would like to play this character, PM D-Lotus or post a reply to this post. For more information about how the game works, see the Read This First topic in this forum.

A lonesome caravan sped through the barren sand dunes. The moonlight shrouded the strange caravan and it's users, making shadows form everywhere. The driver whipped the horses mercilessly. He could always rely on Magic to push the cart, but Magic did not replentish itself. A monthly ritual did. Although people in Balklar used Magic often, never for things they could do without it.

Those who did, those who were too lazy to do things for themeselves were called emflikars, and were considered in one of the lowest social scales in the kingdom. Ocasionally, some emflikars made it to the
top and acheived fame, but even then, many people scorned them. There were some of them in the Lyceum, but you never actually saw them. They always appeared before people as magical holograms. They never left their quarters, always stuffing themeselves with food there.

Eflikars are always seen lying around in the street, using Magic for their every need. As in 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - such use of the power could make them act drunk and clumsy. Addled in the head, they are often found in the gutters, so 'drunk' they are unable to realise all they need to do is stop using magic for a while. When found they are usually arrested and 'sobered out' by a resident mage, trained in approriate techniques to drag them out of their clouded mind.

People give them scornful looks. It is very hard to convince eflikars to stop their ways and become a helpful member of society. Those who do, are called Jomakars. They are usually very dedicated, because they hope to change their life drastically. They always use Magic on the most limted level.

One particular emflikar from the Lyceum, was known to have reached 400 pounds of wheight. He had rested in his bed, and never moved at all. Servants came to feed him, since he could not even move his pudgy fingers to create Magic. Soon after that he died...of health problems, of course.

The only time anyone sees the emflikars of the Lyceum is when they have to judge the great Tournament that is held each year. Their constant use of Magic gives them a differrent perspective of it. Many times there have been disagreements between them and the other mages of the Lyceum.

Currently there were two emflikars in the Lyceum, to the dissaproval of many.

The caravan continued it's lonesome journey. A closer look inside would reveal a man of average height, average wheight, average looks and average clothing. This man is carefully washing another man's feet. They are very tan. The reason this other's man feet are so very tan is because of the desert. Yes, this man is a man of the desert. The hot sun has made it's effect on him. The desert he came from is called the Alkarran desert. He has stayed in the desert to train. To train in strategy.

His name is Yahoo. A very strange name you might say. He gave it to himself after his rebirth. How can a man be reborn? Very simple. Yahoo was an emflikar. Now he is a Jomakar. To him, this is a rebirth. He will never forget the woman who made him remember who he really was.

He hopes to find the woman in the great Tournament. He hopes she will see him fight and will love him for it. He hopes she will come back to him.

He also hopes to find another man...

A cruel and haughty man that once humiliated him...

A man with a harsh cane and strong Magic... he would be sure to be at the Tournament...

Yahoo has given up most of his Magic. He said that he would never draw a rune again unless he needed to. He promised this when he became a jomakar. That's why Yahoo decided he needed a stronger tool than Magic to defend himself.

Strategy.

Yahoo became a master of strategy, studying under great men. He trained in the desert. It was his hardest trial. He had to survive for 2 years in the desert. He did. He bacame wise. He now felt the connection between strategy and Magic. A very thin bond. A very thin bond that could become very powerful.

Yahoo realized that he needed to use Magic for the Tournament. He had promised himself that he would only use it if he really needed it.

He decided that if he would ever find the woman he loved, she would be at the Tournament. He really needed Magic. Yahoo would use Magic. But Yahoo also realized tha if he used Magic again, he could be temted into becoming an Emflikar again.

He was unknown by the crowds, his style unnoticed. But this would soon change..... the great city of Vlusos would soon bow to him...

The great plains flashed by as the caravan rolled on, raising invisible clouds of dust behind it in the dark night as it passed a young man with a lute, walking on the road...

-D-Lotus
Chainfire

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

I want to be on this team. And yes I've read it before you even start accusing 8)
unther

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:  

I'm in too.
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:  

Ok, thanks....

don't go telling everybody that I forced you too....

:D
kingcappie

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:  

I'd like to join this team.
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

Yes! Somebody else! It's a miracle!!!!

Hope to enjoy a good journey with you, king cappie....
saxon215

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:  

i've got some writing time comming up and my heavyy defense and animal treansformation spells might be of use i'll sign up
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject:  

sax, you don't NEED to write anything.

nope, I didn't force him either...
Araex

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:  

it so hard to choose who to join! i think i'll go with you - the character is cool, but then so are the others! does he have any magic items?

(the numbers also need a bit of balancing - without me it is Smee: 5, Mordok: 6, D: 4!)
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:  

ok, yes, he has a limited use, but that doesn't mean he has NO magic.

Also, you'll find items like explosives on my side, etc...
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:  

AND the explosives are Magic proof...only very strong magic can sto pit, you can't simply try to make a bucket of water and pour it over the spark...
Araex

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:  

instead of brains over brawn or mind over matter, it's mind over magic! (quite proud of that one myself :))
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:  

Yahoo: Mind Over Magic

Thanks Araex, you just gave me the title!
kenshin himura

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:  

Is it to late to join?
Ravenwing

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:  

You can go ahead and jump into the game, kenshin.
lowrider

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:  

i wanna join this team :-x
lowrider

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:  

yea but theres 1 thing i dont get wut is it is it a forum game or is it an actuall game game cuz i click the link and it takes me to forums?im confused :-o
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject:  

All games are text based. The games take place on the forums. For information on how to play, read the FAQs.
Chaos-Made

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:  

Um where do i sign up for yahoo's team.
Chainfire

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:  

I added you to the team. You can now post in Yahoo's forum and vote in the polls. Welcome aboard! :grin:
Thornwood

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Joining  

If it's not too late to join, I'd like to join this thread, with this character.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject:  

In order to play BttE you will need to register and sign in. Once registered, then a moderator can add you to Yahoo's team. :D
Thornwood

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Mz. Fauna  

Thanks. I'm registered now. Hopefully the moderator will see me.

Hi moderator, please add me!
Chainfire

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:  

I will send a PM to D-Lotus to add you. You can then post comments, suggestions, etc in Yahoo's forum, and vote in the polls. A new chapter should be out later this month, but feel free to make comments or express your ideas on the story thus far. Welcome aboard! :D
ninja baloon

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:  

i would like to join. so when do we start this thing and if it is started how do i do it. My heads already buzzing with ideas. im a bit of a noobie so please be patient :D
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus will add you to the team. :) In the meantime, go to Yahoo: Mind Over Magic and begin reading the chapters posted there. The current chapter is nine, and after you are added to the team you will be able to add your ideas there.
ninja baloon

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:  

Cheers! :D
Ovrlndnsea

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:  

I'd like to join this team.
Smee

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:  

You can only be on one team at a time.

If you'd like to swap from Gorin I'd be sorry to see you go, but it's your choice.

Let me know.

Happy Playing :)
Ovrlndnsea

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject:  

In case you didn't know, there IS a "leave-this-group" option.

EDIT: Or were you just asking to let you know?
Muaddib

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject:  

Thanks for enlightening the mayor, Im sure he appreciates it.
SANGRARSUBIO

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:  

ethereal_fauna wrote: D-Lotus will add you to the team. :) In the meantime, go to Yahoo: Mind Over Magic and begin reading the chapters posted there. The current chapter is nine, and after you are added to the team you will be able to add your ideas there. i would like to be the lady yahoo seeks
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

I would like to join this team, if possible.

I've already got a pretty good idea brewing in my head for a character and I can't wait to submit him soon!
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:  

At this point new characters aren't being added into the games. Although new players for the established characters are certainly needed. :)
Chainfire

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:  

I think it would be grand if you joined the team. It would give us more ideas and more votes. New characters aren't really needed as said by Fauna, but we could still use your help in the polls.
SANGRARSUBIO

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: well i joined the team  

let me know when new characters are needed.

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Start Here!
Page 1 of 1