Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Clive
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramp in a storm

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Clive  

I restarted this story about a trillion times before getting it to be postable and with a list of ideas to keep it going. I'm gonna post this now before I lose it!...again.

Edit: Note: I have never written a story like this before and I am making most of it up (as in the things that are wrong with the characters, the care home etc.). But I wanted to just say this now for just in case: If anybody finds anything in this story offensive, please don't be offended. Nothing in this story will ever be meant offensively to anybody.
Prologue - Clive

Clive was born into a poor family. He doesn’t remember his parents’ names – not even his surname. All that Clive remembers about his past is that his parents were poor, children picked on him at school – although he never understood why – and that one day, on a school trip to the woods; his teacher took him away from the rest of the group…

The next day, Clive woke up, scared and scarred both mentally and physically. And so, at the age of 9 Clive was left to find his own way.

A young couple found him near the edge of the forest – a long, long way from home. They took him in and provided him with food and shelter while they tried, in vain, to contact the poor boy’s parents. Clive never spoke to the kind woman and always hid behind the man’s back when she approached him. This made it evident that Clive had been miss-treated by a woman and abandoned in the woods. But the kind couple could only guess as Clive never spoke a word of what had happened to him.

Clive began to be haunted by nightmares of women turning into monsters and eating out his brains or showing him what they had done to other children like him. Eventually, Clive became mentally unstable. His brain reacted in an unusual manner – instead of the dreams continuing and causing him depression, he grew into an overly hyperactive and carefree teenager. By the age of 14, Clive had developed an obsession with straight lines and he would skip down the streets, singing “I like straight lines! Straight lines I like! I like them straight as straight can beeeee!”

He was taken to a psychiatrist and at the age of 15, he was taken to a special care home for troubled youngsters. The poor soul no longer showed any negative emotion, except for his very strong phobia of the female gender.
tramp in a storm

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject:  

Chapter 1

“Dr Frank, This is Clive.” A small, thin boy with brown, messy hair looked up at the new doctor. The doctor himself was 6 foot tall and had broad shoulders. His hair was black and kept very neat. His deep, blue eyes looked at Clive through his glasses. Clive stared at the doctor with the widest smile the doctor had ever seen and he acted as if he had known the doctor for a long time.

“As you are aware, doctor, Clive does not feel emotions such as depression or guilt. Or at least he doesn’t show it. The only feelings he shows are the phobia of the female gender and positive emotions.”

The small boy was jumping impatiently from foot to foot as he waited for the chance to show the new doctor out of the office and to his own room.

“You’re a hyper little fellow. Aren’t ya, mate?” Dr Frank laughed and ruffled Clive’s hair.

“I think he’s waiting to show you his room.” Dr George, who had had the pleasure to do the introductions smiled.

“Oh. I see!” smiled Dr Frank as Clive nodded frantically. “Well come one then! Let’s go!” and with that, Clive jumped forwards, grabbed the doctor by the hand and dragged him out of the office, through a maze of corridors and lead him into his room – all the way singing “I like straight lines! Straight liiiiines! I like!” and so on. He let go of the doctor, shut the door and grabbed a pile of papers from a small table that served as a desk. There was a bed by the wall in the opposite corner to the table and there was a stool too, under the table. The walls were a soft ‘midnight blue’ and Clive’s bed covers had space ships on them.

“Look!” He said excitedly “Jake drew these for me!”

“Ah. I see.” Dr Frank replied. “These are very good! I like them! Is Jake your friend?” Clive was holding a pile of papers with different coloured lines on them; each and every line was drawn perfectly straight, with a ruler.

“Yes. He’s very good at drawing! But he can’t tie his shoe laces. So I have to do that for him. And I cut his dinner because he’s too scared to hold the knife…” Clive rambled on about his friend and the doctor sat on the bed and listened with interest to the youngster.

When the boy had run out of things to say, Dr Frank took his chance to ask some questions about Clive himself.

“How old are you, Clive?”
“I am…. 15 years and 11 months old!”
“Wow! Did you know that you have three straight lines in your age?” The doctor watched Clive’s reaction with great interest. He needed to know the boy’s behaviour of by heart in order to be able to predict his reactions to certain treatment and activities – in which he would be taking part later – designed to cure the youngster of his mental condition.

Clive looked thoughtful for a moment and then he looked at the doctor. His eyes were full of awe!
“So there are! There is a 1 in fifteen and two 1s in eleven! And 1s are drawn by straight lines!” Clive laughed and clapped his hands together with excitement. He then launched himself at the doctor and just as he was about to move away in fear that the patient was attacking him Clive opened his arms wide and wrapped himself around him!

“You’re squeezing the life out of me!” Dr Frank laughed and Clive let go.
“You are funny” Clive laughed.
“I could say the same about you too, Mr!” the two laughed and Clive put his pictures away in their place, on the desk. Then there was a knock at Clive’s door.

“Come in!” Clive called and Dr George entered the room.

“Ah! Dr George!”
“Hello Clive. Hello Dr Frank.” Dr George smiled at the young boy.
“Hello!” Clive smiled
“May I borrow Dr Frank off you for a second please, Clive?” Clive nodded and the two doctors left the room.

“Is there a problem, Dr George?”
“Well…that depends really. Shall I show you around while we talk?”
“Yeah, sure.”

The two doctors started walking as Dr George explained what was going on.

“There is going to be a new patient here in the clinic. I am sure that you are aware that the patients here are teamed up in groups of 2s, 3s or 4s during ‘Activity time’ and ‘Quiet Learning time’.”

“Yes, doctor. I observed the goings on in this clinic for three days before applying and for a week before starting work today. I am fully aware of the clinic’s programmes and methods of dealing with the patients.”

“Yes doctor. Well, the Head wants to put her in with Jake and Clive.” Dr Frank looked at Dr George with disbelief.

“Clive has a distinct phobia of anything female. He even flinches away from objects and colours, such as pink, which he sees as being strongly linked with girls. He was diagnosed with Gynekophobia. Cause unknown. Am I right?” Dr Frank spoke with a steady tone which sounded so calm and controlled that it scared Dr George. Dr George was a quiet, flimsy looking man.

“Y-Yes, doctor. That is correct. I must say, I… I have no role to play in this. I was just asked to pass on the message to you. The Head says tha – that there shall be no arguments against his word –.” Dr George stopped talking when he realised that Dr Frank was staring ahead of him, his eyes narrow behind his glasses, his pace quickening. “D-Dr?”

Dr Frank slowed his pace, took a deep breath and controlled himself.
“Thank you for the message, Dr George.” And with that, the two split and went their different ways.

So there it is! Chapter one! Please let me know what you think!

And for the DP: What does Dr Frank say about this? Does he let this girl be put in the same group as his patient, even though it could make him worse? Does he object completely even though this could actually help Clive? I'm open to more sugestions. It's entirely up to you.

The options at the end will be put into a 'Blind Voting Poll'. Where you will chose a, b or c or however many we have and you will not know what you have voted for untill the polls close. I have tried this with another SG, Down the Garden and it worked then. So I'm gonna give it a try this time too :D so let me know what you think about the polling as well!
DeadManWalking

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject:  

Interesting. Don't have any ideas at the moment; I used up all my idearium doing something else.

But I'll be looking forward to the next part with avidity.
tramp in a storm

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks Deady! :D

As for ideas for the DP, I'll get us started... He could just play along with the head doctor and see how Clive reacts to the situation. Maybe this could give him a better idea of the boy's condition? Or maybe not...

By the way, I'm also open to ideas for names for this head doctor guy. I will use any name that you choose!

And also any ideas for more 'troubled youngesters'.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm. Either yes or no - Perhaps he decides to make Clive disappear. Hides him somewhere, to avoid the situation.
tramp in a storm

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:  

I like it! :D Dr Frank is naughty on his first day!! oooh rebel! lol! Thanks, Crunchy!

Any ideas for the head guy's name?
Black Hawk

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject:  

the head guys name should be......Bob
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject:  

Duh, now own up folks who tried clicking on Tramps sig...

*raises hand* :lol:
tramp in a storm

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject:  

*raises hand* Yes I know I was the one who put it there! :lol:

:lol: Let me know if it gets annoying, by the way.

Anyway! I'm gonna put up the poll for What Dr Frank does! You will vote for an option but you will not know which one you are voting for! I, however, will :-D heehee!

I will show you what options there are though, 'cos I'm not that mean.
*Dr Frank plays along with the Head's decision and we see what happens from there.
*Dr Frank tries to make the Head change his mind.
*Dr Frank takes Clive and hides him.

So I will now letter them and take a note of them on my computer and the stick them in the poll! If I've left any out, sorry and let me know.

So! Cross your fingers and VOTE!

PS. please don't vote on the 'Tramps only option', Thanks
Tavanesh

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:  

Well done Tramp, I'm looking forward to more. It's cool how you made a 15 year old seem like a 6 year old.

One thing confused me however...

Quote: “I am…. 15 years and 11 months old!”
“Wow! Did you know that you have three straight lines in you name?”
----
“So there are! There is a 1 in fifteen and two 1s in eleven! And 1s are drawn by straight lines!”

First you may want to change the you to your, and second the straight lines were in his age not his name, or is it the other way around? xD You see my dilemma.

Other than that, nice start. I won't suggest a DP seeing as the polls already up, and isn't it amazing so far that everyone's voted on the same one! I am interested to see the interaction between Clive and this new girl, or lack thereof.

Keep working at it!
tramp in a storm

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject:  

wooopsies! lol thanks Tav! I meant to say "your age". I think I was having a moment...

And yes, it is strange that everyone voted for B *has a sneaky peek at what B actually is, covering the results with her hand* oooooh! I see... heheheh... :-D
Phang

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject:  

I voted for C.

'Cos I'm a rebel.
scissorkitty

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject:  

this is a very interesting idea for an SG.. and for a DP. Hmm. Clive sure acts a lot younger than his actual age. Most 15 year olds seem a little more.. uh.. focused than this scatterbrained, line-lover. Interesting.

I think someone with a fear of getting older would be interesting.. especially that fear in a child.
tramp in a storm

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject:  

*looks at poll*
*checks she's on the right thread*....WOW! 8 votes! can't really say anything other than wow! and thank you for all the comments and the ideas and the rebellions and everything!! :lol:

I'm writing down the fear of getting older person where I've written the rest of the ideas for this SG so I'll get that in too at some point! :D

I think I'll close the poll now and get started on the next chappy! :D

The answers to the poll were:

a)Dr Frank plays along with the Head's decision and we see what happens from there.

b)Dr Frank takes Clive and hides him.

c)Dr Frank tries to make the Head change his mind.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:  

I'd have gone for B too. So, er. Thing.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject:  

Yay! B was a great guess!
tramp in a storm

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:  

Yo! Sorry it took this long peeps. I've been up to my neck in school work!...mostly physics 'cos that takes an age! lol! anyway, here it is! Let me know what you think about the chap and about the poll! thanks :D

Chapter 2

‘There is no way Clive would ever forgive me if I was to let this happen’ Dr Frank thought to himself as he sat in his study at home, once again looking through Clive’s documents. ‘He would never be able to trust me again. I have to think of something.’ He was desperate to find a way to help Clive. He had only known him a day but he was his first real patient in his first proper job and there was something about this kid…He couldn’t explain it…he was just…very likable.

Just then, his wife cautiously popped her head round the door to his study. He paused his thoughts and looked up at her with a forced smile.

“Are you ok?” she asked.
“Yeah” he answered and massaged his aching forehead.
She entered with a mug of tea in her hand and put it down on his desk.
“Ah. Thank you. I could do with one of these.” He smiled and drank from the mug. He thankfully felt the hot liquid trickle down his throat and warm his insides.

“The Institute rang.” She said.
“Oh? What did they want?” he tried not to sound annoyed or stressed but he wasn’t sure how much he had succeeded.

“They wanted to ask if you would like to be in charge of Jenifer too. They said she’s the new patient you were told about this morning.”

Dr Frank sighed heavily. Well that gave it away. His wife looked at him concerned. He was stressed so easily that she worried about him. She didn’t want to make things worse, but she had to tell him the rest of it. “I told them I’d ask you and that you’d get back to them. But they said it wasn’t a question, it’s a command from Dr Bob Papapavlou. He says you can handle two patients, especially if they’re in the same activity group.”

“He’s a smart one, that Dr Papapavlou. He knew I’d object so he’s making things hard for me. I’ll have to go talk to him in the morning. They’re going to make Clive worse like this!”

His wife blinked at the sudden raised voice. Then she added: “He won’t be there. They said that he was going to take on the new patient himself but he is away on a holiday he promised to his family for a week. That’s why he’s asked you to do it.”

Dr Frank looked up and smiled.

“What’s that smile for?” she asked him suspiciously. She could tell when ideas struck him. And let’s just say that Dr Frank Franko’s ideas were never good.

“Can you make the bed in the spare room? I want to invite a friend.”
“No…nonono! You’re not going to smuggle another patient in our house! You were lucky to get away with it the last time!”
“Hey! I didn’t smuggle them two in! The little brats hid in my car! I had to smuggle them back!”

His wife laughed. “That’s what you get for working with nutty children!” A smile sneaked on Dr Frank’s face and he shook his head. Why did he go into this job?

Mrs Frank sighed and gave in. “Don’t get into trouble.” She almost spelled the sentence out for him, kissed his head and left the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The morning after, Dr Frank got to work early. He drove up the drive and parked his car in the small car park that belonged to the fairly large building. He stepped out, suitcase in one hand, car keys in the other. He pressed a button on his key-ring as he walked away and the vehicle locked with a beep.

He came in through the large, glass front doors and found himself standing infront of the reception. Perfect. Nobody was there. He looked around and saw the receptionist in the staff dining room, quickly stuffing a late breakfast down her throat! So he took his chance and sneaked round into the office.

He found the computer turned on. This was just his lucky day! He pressed some buttons, clicked here and there and soon found what he was looking for. He printed out a simple looking consent form.

“Morning Dr Frank.” The receptionist called as he walked down the staff corridor towards his small office.
“Morning, Ethal!” Dr Frank smiled his hello and hoped that she didn’t mind him calling her Ethal because he didn’t know her name.

He walked away, his heart thumping against his chest. ‘Just stay calm. You’ve done this before…just kinda the opposite…it’s what’s best for your patient.’ He told himself.

The reception lady walked into the office to find the computer exactly how she’d left it. She checked the mouse…yep! It was in exactly the same position she had left it and nothing else in the room had been disturbed.

Dr Frank quickly signed his part of the consent form. Now he needed two more signatures: Clive’s and one from another doctor… There was a knock at the door, which he had left open. Dr Frank looked up, startled. ‘You’re doing a great job of not being jumpy, Frank. Just great!’ the voice in his head applauded him sarcastically.

“Ah! Dr Frank! Sorry to disturb you!”
“Dr George! Just the man I need!” Dr Frank welcomed him in with a beaming smile. Dr George entered the room feeling slightly uncomfortable. He remembered the last time someone welcomed him with that kind of smile…

So then? What happened the last time Dr George was welcomed with a smile that said “Just the man I was looking for!”? Remember he gets bullied into doing stuff a lot! This time you get to do the bullying! Yey! Lol! But please don’t be rude! Remember poor little me has to write it! Lol!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject:  

Haha, good chapter, I like the way you're setting up the smuggling out bit.

Okay, so what did Dr. George get set up for last time? How about, he had to stand in for Dr. Franks outpatient surgery, so that Dr. Frank could run an errand for his wife - except that really Dr. Frank was trying to avoid one of his more slovenly out-patients with really bad personal hygiene?
Head Eater

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:  

Thissss Storygame isss worthy of the Misssscelaneous, Exssssperimental and Humour forum.

Congratulationssss!
DeadManWalking

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:  

Congrats on the Promotion Tramp!
tramp in a storm

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:  

Yey! we're in humourness! That means we have to be funny! *laughs at something random* haha!

Thank you all!
But Crunchy remember, Dr Frank has only just started work here so Dr George's experience would have to be unrelated to Dr Frank...unless they knew each other outside of work, I supose?
tramp in a storm

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:  

Any more suggestions? If not we'll go for Crunchy's and maybe Dr George had to stand in for someone other than Dr Frank.
tramp in a storm

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry guys, but I couldn't come up with a chappy for that last poll. So I've changed my plans of doing a flashback chap and instead I'm gonna carry on with the story as normal. So here is chapter 3. I will bare in mind your sugestion for future chaps, Crunchy! I'm sure we'll find somewhere it would fit nicely :D

Quick catch-up: These are snipits from previous chapters:

“Dr Frank, This is Clive.” A small, thin boy with brown, messy hair looked up at the new doctor. The doctor himself was 6 foot tall and had broad shoulders. His hair was black and kept very neat. His deep, blue eyes looked at Clive through his glasses. Clive stared at the doctor with the widest smile the doctor had ever seen and he acted as if he had known the doctor for a long time.

“As you are aware, doctor, Clive does not feel emotions such as depression or guilt.

~*~*~*~*

Clive was sent to the Papapavlou Institute for Troubled Youngesters at the age of 15 after a traumatic experience in the woods. no longer showed any negative emotion, except for his very strong phobia of the female gender. Dr Frank is a new doctor in charge of Clive's care.

Chapter3

Dr George remembered back to when he was made to enter the big sewage pipe that spilled into the cold ocean to search for…he couldn’t even remember what he was made to retrieve, it was that long ago. The doctor shuddered at the thought of the bullies and the smell of the sewer and the freezing cold water around his ankles…

Back in the 'now-world' Dr Frank looked at Dr George. “Dr George? Are you ok?” he asked, slightly concerned.

“Kids can be so cruel…” Dr George muttered darkly to himself and then his eyes flickered back to the present. He wiped his dazed expression from his face and replaced it with a quiestioning smile. “pardon?”

“Nothing. I just want you to sign something for me.”

“What d’you want me to sign?”

“A consent form. I want to take Clive out of the Hospital when the new girl arrives tomorrow morning. I really fear for the poor kid. I’ll have him back before Dr Papapavlou returns. If we do this right he won’t even know Clive was ever gone.” Dr Frank explained. When he saw Dr George’s expression he added, “of course, now you know…” He locked gazes with the now terrified doctor.

There was silence as Dr George considered his options. Dr Frank continued to look at him unblinking, his dark eyes stabbing Dr George from behind their glasses.

“Fine.” Dr George sighed. Was he going to be bullied like this for the rest of his life? “If Dr Papapavlou finds out I will say you forged my signature.” He warned, trying to sound tougher than he would ever be.

“Fine.” Dr Frank chuckled, his eyes let go of the cowardly Dr George.

The papers were signed and Dr Frank told Clive about what was going to happen.

~*~*~*

“How long am I going away for?” Clive asked, cheerful as ever.

“Just about a week. There is a girl who is going to join your group and I don’t want you to meet her yet.” Dr Frank saw Clive’s face lose colour so he quickly whispered with a wink, “We can make secret plans to get rid of her.”

“Excellent!” Clive beamed again. He liked the idea of secret plans!

~*~*~*~*

That night, at 8pm, at the end of Dr Frank’s shift, he snuck Clive into the back seat of his car. He then went back inside to sign out.

“End of the shift, Dr Frank?” The night-office lady asked as she shook out of her coat and hung it up on the back of her chair. She plopped down on the soft seat and logged onto the computer.

“Yeah, must run! The wife’s making dinner and I’m running late!”

“Oh, you better get going then young man! You don’t want to upset the Misses.” The plump old lady laughed as Dr Frank rushed out of the entrance doors.

It was about a half hour drive from the Institute to Dr Frank’s house. Clive held his collection of drawings in his hands. He flicked through them – one page had a blue line in the exact centre of the page, reaching from the left edge to the right. Clive traced it with his finger; concentration took over from the smile on his face. When he was done he put the page at the back of the pile in his hand and looked at the next one.

This was one that Clive had done by himself – unlike the one before which Jake had done free-hand. Clive traced his finger across the line that ran from left to right just like the one before it. This one was red. As his finger followed the line it reached the ‘impurity’ in the line’s perfect straightness –a bump where Clive’s pencil had bumped his finger where he had been holding the ruler. Clive let out a sigh before continuing his browse through the various coloured lines – all, bar his, were perfectly straight and drawn free-hand.

About half an hour later Dr Frank pulled the car into a driveway, behind his wife's car. This was going to be… interesting, Dr Frank thought to himself as he let Clive out of the car and led him towards the front door. His wife had agreed to stay away from Clive and to not try to approach him or make friends with him. He just hoped that his plans would work - for Clive's sake.

Clive looked away from the sheets he held tightly in his hands and smiled up at the house.

“Hello, Dr Frank’s house!” He greeted it. He wasn’t expecting an answer – he knew it wasn’t alive – he just liked to greet things for some reason.

“You like it?” Dr Frank asked, pulling out his keys. The house was large, with a front garden full of flowers. There was a porch along the front of the house and a path that reached round the back.

“Yes! It’s big!”

“It is” Dr Frank laughed and stepped through the front door. He hung his and Clive’s coats up and they took their shoes off. Then he lead Clive up the stairs and showed him a room at the left end of the hallway.

“Are you hungry?” Dr Frank asked.

“No thank you.” Clive replied.

“Are you happy to play in here by yourself for a bit?” He asked

“Yes, yes!” Clive grinned happily. This was the kind of time when everyone would return to their rooms and play quietly by themselves in order to calm down before it was ‘lights out’. So Dr Frank shut the door behind him and went downstairs to join his wife for dinner.

“How is he?” She asked.

“He’s fine – just settling down. It’s quiet play time at the institute, round about now.” Dr Frank replied and dug gratefully into his roast dinner.

Clive looked around the room. There was a single bed on the far side, by the window. There was a colourful box at the end of it and a gap between that and a large wardrobe. Closer to him, on his left, was a simple desk with a chair. On the desk were piles of different coloured paper and two pots – one with different coloured pens and the other with different coloured pencils.

Clive clung his treasured sheets to his chest and his happy expression was replaced by a fake thoughtful one. What do I do? He asked himself.

DP: What does Clive do to amuse himself? If he opens the box, then what's in it?

Hope you liked the chapter! If there are any changes you'd like me to make, I'm open to all suggestions! Please do comment!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject:  

Yay! This storygame is not dead! :cool3:

Few things before I get to the DP. This story relies on little details which you need to remind us of, and it has been a while since it was active.

There are various ways you could do this - You could either re-word some of the chapter to make it clearer, or perhaps add a couple of paragraphs synopsis at the top of this chapter, to remind us of the characters and what happened before, and what's important for this chapter. It can also help hook some new readers in. Have a look at Scissorkitty's Eterna Familia, or my Magician's Touch, for examples.

To the chapter - Ack! Two bloopers in the first paragraph!

tramp in a storm wrote:

Dr George remember back to when he was made to enter the big sewage pipe that spilled into the cold ocean to search for…he couldn’t even remember what he was made to retrieve, it was that long ago. The doctor shuddered at the thought of the bully’s and the smell of the sewer and the freezing cold water around his ankles…

remembered and bullies

Quote: “Dr George? Are you ok?” Dr Frank looked at him, slightly concerned.

“Kids can be so cruel…” she muttered darkly and then his eyes flickered back to Dr Frank. He wiped his dazed expression from his face and replaced it with a smile. “huh?”

Not entirely sure who is who, or who is doing what here.

Quote: This was one that Clive had done by himself – unlike the one before which Jake had done free-hand. Clive traced his finger across the line that ran from left to right just like the one before it. This one was red. As his finger followed the line it reached the ‘impurity’ in the line’s perfect straightness –a bump where Clive’s pencil had bumped his finger where he had been holding the ruler. Clive let out a sigh before continuing his browse through the various coloured lines – all, bar his, were perfectly straight and drawn free-hand.

About half an hour later the car slowed and turned to stop in a drive-way. There was another car there – his wife’s. This was going to be… interesting, Dr Frank thought to himself as he let Clive out of the car and led him towards the front door. His wife had agreed to stay away from Clive and to not try to approach him or make friends with him.

The first paragraph we are in Clive's head. So when reading from one para to the next it reads as if it is Clive's wife's car. Of course we know that's not true, but you need to make sure the POV switch is clear.

One way you could do it - 'Half an hour later, Dr. Frank pulled into his driveway. He saw his wife's car there.' - Here you're putting us firmly back into Dr. Frank's head, which is important for this paragraph, since you go on to tell us about Dr. Frank's agreement with his wife (something Clive does not know).

For the DP -

Oh, he's got to open the box. :) The box probably has some benign toys in it, Dr. Frank wouldn't leave anything in Clive's room that would upset him, especially as he's been so careful to put coloured pens and pencils and paper out for Clive to amuse himself with.

So I think Clive picks up the box to open it, and it is some kind of weird puzzle that he has to put together, but the back of the pieces has some other, mysterious design on them which he can't see at first. :grin:
tramp in a storm

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks Crunchy! Yeah, sorry about the delay. I think I'll just make a note: the SG probably won't die. even if I get the littlest number of readers. I finished Shape Lords, I can finish anything lol!

:lol: Dr George is a woman and Clive has a wife!...hhmm...lol I mucked up a bit there :p I'll go sort it :D

EDIT: I've edited it. I made some other minor changes to the sentences in the places you pointed out. I hope that's better :D
tramp in a storm

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:  

Hhhmmm.... It ain't dying! no way! If we get no more sugestions I'll write the next chap based on Crunchy's and if there's still not a bigger response I might have to go linear. I'll give it a little more time and come back as soon as school allows...
Phang

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject:  

Ok, ok. [/Luigi] Off the top of my head...ooh, ooh I know! I have an idea!

Ze box contains bugger-tons of rulers, spirit levels, and the like. Straight*!

...Except there's a bendy ruler in there. How'd that sneak in?! :-o
:cool: Well, you've gotta make some half-arsed effort to cure him...else where are our taxes going?! [/Potentially Daily Mail**]

*It has occured to me that there's an odd irony that Clive loves straight things, but can never be 'straight'. Nyick yick yick!

**I haven't read it in a while. What kind of Daily Mail reader am I?!
tramp in a storm

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject:  

The poll is up! Blind Voting!
I will get to writing as soon as I can after the votes are in. Once again, sorry this takes me so long.

The options are:

*Don't open the box - attempt drawing straight lines with the stuff on the desk.
*Open the box - a ton-load of rulers, spirit level etc.
*Open the box - a mysterious puzzle inside.

But you don't know which one is which. So please close your eyes, dunk your hand into the hat and pick an option! :D
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject:  

A! A! Because he's a bright spark.

:D

Storygames Home -> The Vault
Page 1 of 1