Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Election Oct 08
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Oct 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Election Oct 08  

As we roll into the fall, it is time once again for IF's semi-annual tradition...

The Mayoral Election!

Mayor SirWaxaLot's term is coming to an end, and he has decided not to run for re-election. So it's time for us to elect a new Mayor to serve the City for the next six months.

Here are rules for this Mayoral Election:

1. Anyone who wishes to run for Mayor must announce their candidacy publicly, in this thread.
2. Please do not run unless you are serious about being Mayor. I am not going to disqualify anyone by age or past history, but I do require that anyone who runs makes a commitment to take their office seriously and serve out their complete six-month term.
3. Assuming we get more than one candidate, then for at least one week after the end of the announcement phase, voters will have the chance to ask candidates their views on any issues related to the governance of the City. Candidates are welcome to respond as much or as little as they want. If the discussion is still active after a week, I may extend the time. At some point I'll call for the vote.
4. The first round of voting will go for four days. At the end of that time, if one of the candidates has a majority (>50%), that person is our Mayor.
5. If none of the candidates have more than 50% of the vote in the first round, there will be a runoff between the top two vote-getters, for four more days.
6. Anyone who has posted on the site at least once (including the candidates themselves) is eligible to vote.
7. No person may vote more than once. If you have multiple identities in the City, you can only vote with one of them. Anyone who violates this rule will be severely punished.
8. The Mayor will serve for a term of six months, at which time we will have another election.
9. The Mayor may be removed from office only for high crimes or dereliction of duty, at the discretion of the King.

Below are a list of all the powers and responsibilities of the new Mayor:

- Creating a new forum for the SGotM winner each month.
- Disbursing fables for all prizes, including SGotM, linear stories winner, completion of storygames, etc.
- Setting tax rates for the forums
- Forcibly collecting taxes from those who don't pay voluntarily
- Moving storygames to the Hall of Stasis when finished or when they go on hiatus, and back when they're back off hiatus
- Warning, banning and deleting inappropriate/spam comments and users as needed
- Bestowing custom ranks when paid for
- Creating new groups and forums as needed
- Selecting new City Council members and moderators as needed
- Setting configurable forum options, such as inbox and signature size
- Managing the money supply, including setting how many fables are awarded for what activities.
- Chairing Council and Citizen discussions on City issues
- Being the path of escalation if a citizen is unhappy with a moderator's actions or decision.
- Mediating disagreements between citizens

Please ask if you have questions about the election process or what the Mayor's job entails.

Happy electioneering!

:-)
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:  

Yay! Another chance...
Idea master

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:  

Bloody hell, why not? At least it'd be fun, and I always did want to be the mayor at least once. And who knows, I may actually be able to form another story after this one.

So yes, I, Idea Master, shall run for mayor one last time.
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:  

I, Ne Vergirl, would like to put myself forward to run for Mayoralness...

*grins*
duffman666

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:  

I would like to put my self forward as it would cement my commitment to the city.

Ever since the Mayor was first introduced i've meant to do this yay
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject:  

Ah heck, why not break with tradition and re-run? If anyone will have me, that is. :D
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: Ah heck, why not break with tradition and re-run? If anyone will have me, that is. :D

:-o
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject:  

Egads! I thought you'd thrown your hat in the ring as well, for a minute! lol
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: Egads! I thought you'd thrown your hat in the ring as well, for a minute! lol

Heh. No, I won't be running for this one!
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject:  

We have some strong potential, and one re-running mayoral material here! So it looks like whoever we pick it will be someone good. :D

It's sad Wax isn't re-running though.
sir wax

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject:  

The Meaning Of Fear wrote: It's sad Wax isn't re-running though.

:) Thanks Meanie, that means a lot. Unfortunately life threw me a curve ball half-way into my term and I wasn't able to complete a lot of the projects I started on for this site. Some projects because I wasn't able to technically (web coding, phpbb limits, etc.), some I was just unable to add the greatness capable to this site because of the curveball I mentioned earlier.

All in all, I added few things but I mainly did the main duties assigned. I feel somewhat that I let If down but, I really needed to focus my creative and technical abilities on my real life 24/7, mainly for financial and employment purposes.

Whomever takes office next I would hope will be a website developer to upgrade the site to its maximum potential. When my life stabilizes a bit more I'll work with the new Mayor or Mayoress to still bring some of my Mayoral dreams to fruition. I'm still going to work on advertising this site with a group of other Ifians, and I am still going to get PodCasts going on an RSS feed so people can listen to the SG's they read. Since I couldn't manage it half-way down the road I couldn't ask any others to do it, but I will in due time. But I think adding PodCasts alone, I feel, will boost our readership and faithful members exponentially (in a good way.)

I have my endorsement to a candidate who I believe can do all of the above and more, but I'm going to keep that to myself until all the candidates show themselves. I will still be around, but unfortunately less than I would like to be. :smile:

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject:  

*realizes she's voted in a whole 1 election*

I may need to pay attention to this one....
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject:  

*looks simultaneously frightened and gloomy* NeverNeverGirl, Crunchyfrog, idea master...

...I'm going to have a tough time of this! Better work hard!

*smiles a fierce and joyful smile, determined to win* I'll try my best to do this!
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject:  

You know, you can't be a mayor(ess) unless you tell us whether you're a girl or a boy.
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject:  

Good point, Whitey ;)

If you don't tell us how will we ever make statues honoring your image????
Key

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:  

:D Great, looks like we've got five candidates so far:

Crossfire
Idea Master
NeverNeverGirl
duffman666
Crunchyfrog

We'll give another day or two for any last minute entrants, then begin the questioning...

scissorkitty

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject:  

oh my.. election time again already?!! Phew.. I think there's still stumps and soapboxes left all over If from last time! *g*
Key

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject:  

All right, that's it then, five candidates for Mayor.

Thanks to all who volunteered, and good campaign wishes to all.

Anyone is now free to use this forum to ask questions of the candidates, and the candidates are also free to post statements as desired. We'll run the question and answer period for a couple of weeks or so, depending on the level of activity, and then hold the first round of voting.

scissorkitty

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:  

Okay... here's a question, although not a new one:

What would each of you, Prospective Mayors/Mayoresses/beings/things/etc, bring to the table in terms of new developments in IF- be it housing developments, a grand redecorating of the Inn, or new areas for different storygaming? (that sort of thing, anyway. Just suggestions and ideas to freshen things us and keep the Fables rolling)
shy_blu_eyes

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:  

This one is specifically for CrunchyFrog,

What regrets, if any, do you have about your previous term and what lessons will you take from those experiences into your next term if elected?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:  

I don't think I have any regrets but lessons learned... Well, there were quite a few!

The first was about having the confidence with the technical aspects when I first started. When I became Mayor I didn't realise how much support I would have from the King and previous Mayors, and they were all great. So the lesson learned there is that I know I can do the job and I'd have the support. I'd go back into the role and 'hit the ground running,' as they say.

The other lesson I learned (and it was quite a painful one at the time) is not to make snap decisions or take action based on the complaint or observation of one person. I did that a couple of times early on and it resulted in people getting offended or hurt unnecessarily.

The good decisions I made were the ones I took time over, the ones that allowed cooling off periods if they were needed. Of course there are times where you have to act quickly, but I have learned to identify when something needs to be done 'now' or if it can wait.

The most important lesson I've learned is that despite all the pressures of the role, it is possible to relax and have fun. A happy Mayor is important for IF. I wouldn't be considering running again if I didn't think I'd be happy and comfortable in the role.

*hands out little pink flowers to everyone*

:)
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject:  

*this one is also for Crunchy*

Why are the flowers pink? Are you thinking of re-painting If again? ;)

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:  

Hey! ^_^ Ah! I know who to vote for that is currently in the process of becoming mayor/mayoress.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:  

The White Blacksmith wrote: *this one is also for Crunchy*

Why are the flowers pink? Are you thinking of re-painting If again? ;)

Heh, that was fun wasn't it? I got the shock of my life when I logged in and saw it all green! That thread's down in the archives now somewhere, I think.

Now, a pink IF... Hmmmm....

*considers*

Nah! :D
zahark

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:  

A pink If now that would be scary *hides in fear*

but besides my dislike of pink.....
If elected what wold you do to If to make it better, what would you do to improve the pre-existing forums and other things in If? What will you do about new ideas or problems that may or may not present them selves?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject:  

zahark wrote: If elected what wold you do to If to make it better, what would you do to improve the pre-existing forums and other things in If? What will you do about new ideas or problems that may or may not present them selves?

I don't have an agenda to bring about any major changes to make IF 'better'. But I will encourage others to work on their own projects that are already out there.

Sometimes new ideas or problems do come up from time to time that the Mayor, Council, and sometimes the whole community need to deal with. You can't predict what they'll be or what you're expected to do about them - except take the best advice and make the right decision.
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject:  

zahark wrote: A pink If now that would be scary *hides in fear*

but besides my dislike of pink.....
If elected what wold you do to If to make it better, what would you do to improve the pre-existing forums and other things in If? What will you do about new ideas or problems that may or may not present them selves?

This is my response to skitty's question that I think are relevant to Zaharks..

NeverNeverGirl wrote: skitty wrote: Okay... here's a question, although not a new one:

What would each of you, Prospective Mayors/Mayoresses/beings/things/etc, bring to the table in terms of new developments in IF- be it housing developments, a grand redecorating of the Inn, or new areas for different storygaming? (that sort of thing, anyway. Just suggestions and ideas to freshen things us and keep the Fables rolling)

As a potential Mayoress I bring to IF a real Love of the City and an eagerness to see her flourish. I will endeavour to do the best i can by If and her citizens taking into account every factor before making a decision.

I don't promise any big flashy things as I believe that first we should seek to complete those tasks that we were all so interested in when suggested by previous Mayors.

IE. using Audio with SGs - be it as background music or an actual reading - is something well within our reach and something i believe will open up a new dimension to If.

I would also discuss with ex-mayor Chinaren what his original intent was for The City project and the buying and selling off of If land as I believe this has an unexplored potential.

These are few among many other concepts that we should follow through to fruition before attempting to start any Major new work. this is not to say that I wouldn't consider seriously any concept put forward by the people of IF as being a possible upgrade to If.

Whether you love or hate Me I doubt anyone can fail to see that anything I have done I have done with only the best intentions for IF in mind.

:D

I have also noted elsewhere some points about the fable system. I would like to make clear my personal thoughts on Fables.

In previous elections the subjects of fable inflation and uses of fables have come up so after nominating myself for the postion of mayoress I sat down and thought over these as being amongst the possible issues raised.

Fables are a fun aspect of If. Using them to bid for items, places in tales, purchasing forums and other things are fun. 'We get what we give' is what I believe the essence of the fable is. The more we contribute to If the more 'reward' we get.

The more projects that the individual comes up with for creating/spending fables then the more use they have. They only have the value that We the Individuals give them.

Alegria and CF have touched on part of my point already by saying that they don't write for the fables, I don't believe that any of us do, I for one don't. They are a FUN aspect of IF that I don't think should be removed and IMO should not be an issue in this election.

For those that would still like a reponse to the Fable Issue 'I would come up with whatever ideas I could (as I already do) for the use of Fables but I also put the onus back on the citizens as well, if you want fables make the system work for you.*'

*point in case Chinaren.
Key

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:  

OK, looks like questions are slowing down. We'll give another day or two, and then begin voting!

Crossfire

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:  

Gah! I leave for a moment, and all of a sudden I'm FLOODED with comments! :D

Alegria, TWB, you CAN make statues of me if you want to... it's just that they can't be NAKED statues. :o Besides, being made of mist as I am, it would be a little difficult to put me in a marble sheath. *Happily.*

Questions!

Random People wrote: If elected what wold you do to If to make it better, what would you do to improve the pre-existing forums and other things in If? What will you do about new ideas or problems that may or may not present them selves?

What would each of you, Prospective Mayors/Mayoresses/beings/things/etc, bring to the table in terms of new developments in IF- be it housing developments, a grand redecorating of the Inn, or new areas for different storygaming? (that sort of thing, anyway. Just suggestions and ideas to freshen things us and keep the Fables rolling).

Well, ummm... redecoration is definite. I'd like to totally revamp the look of the site, after an appropriate discussion with those Council-thingies over there. I prefer silver, personally, but we need much more black. Black is good. :|S

Housing developments...

Well, I suppose we could GIVE houses to Citizens, like land-grants n'stuff. Do we have indigenous people in IF that would object? (Monsters are people, too! :o)

New areas for different StoryGaming...

...Sure! I have a few ideas, like bringing that little area-circle picture to the front and giving it- probably the travel-bar at the top, too!- an extra picture, for movement to a specially created section showcasing all of the best StoryGames (as voted by YOU) on IF! ("Featured Stories", in case you were wondering. :o)

I'll definitely work hard to make the in-city navigation systems really, really simple/easy to use for getting to far-away places, since the amount of forums is probably going to increase quite a bit once I go through all of your suggestions. :S

Fables!

*Looks sort of worried, then becomes resolute.* Ah... well, there's lots of stuff I've been speaking 'bout- thinking 'bout, really- in the Inn these days.

It's only a pity we don't really have the resources to carry the ideas out...! For example, if we had a good programmer we could do something like Gaia Online... create Avatars for each Citizen that could be altered at whim, and use Fables as a currency for mini-games n'such.

*Starts talking animatedly.* Still, going to NeverNeverGirl's wonderful thinking-comment, there's already lots of stuff we can do with them! The Auctions, saving up for your own Title, even getting your fortune told by some kind of insane sentient box or whatever it is! It's all lovely.

One of my favorites is being placed into someone else's StoryGame. You may end up in bizarre situations, and it's probably not always what you expect, but it's worth every Fable, just to see your practically non-existent-outside-Chat character randomly appear and disappear in someone else's writing!

...well, I like it. :O

Storygames Home -> Election Oct 08
Page 1 of 1