Free online storygaming

EF: Chapter 10
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Eterna Familia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scissorkitty

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: EF: Chapter 10  

The Story So Far...
What happens when a womanizing jerk ticks off the local tavern owner in olden times? Why, a mysterious lingering curse, that's what! The jerk just happened to be Rolph.. but the curse he carried just keeps spreading!

“May you and your bastards live the life of the damned forever!” the barkeep had cried, and so Rolph did just that... but not ONLY Rolph! Every child he produced throughout the centuries lives on at the physical age at which they died: a set of septuagenarian triplets born in 1772, a nefarious forty-something born in 1890 and a financially astute nine-year-old born in 1892 .. and that's just the older kids!

Europa Fielder, one of his more recent accursed offspring, is twenty-two years old, still alive and therefore not yet immortal. She discovers that somehow her estranged father has broken free of the curse, having died instantly as the centuries of immortality caught up with him. Europa is determined to find out how.

Euro teams up with her immortal brother Davis, a quasi-skater stuck at fourteen, and Bernice, killed a century ago at the age of nine, and the little trio set out in search of the origins of the curse. All the while, the threat of Harrold, a malingering older brother who is intent on injuring Euro to the point of vegetation, lingers over the group.

At present, Euro is hiding in a bathroom, about to follow the happy trail of crematory smells towards.. well.. something.

Chapter 10

I huddled in the bathroom, brains beleaguered by the stink and the insistent soft knocking sounds. My cell phone lay silent between my palms as I prayed to the great unknown..

Uh, i don't know if there's anyone/anything/any thing out there.. but if you/it/null and void are listening.. please don't let me end up being cremated by Lurch! And, um, i hope Bernice and Davis are okay. Although, to be honest, they're immortal so.. okay might be more a state of mind that anything.

um.. that is all. 10-4, superpowers... whatever

I gave up. I'm not a prayerful person at the best of times, and marinating in a mix of bathroom stink and crematorium must definitely doesn't count as the "best of times". I slunk out of the bathroom, and began to follow my nose.

The stinkwaves gave off a trail that was almost tangible. I tried to prolong my trip down the hallway, but the corner approached no matter how I dragged my feet. I lay down on my belly, and wormed my way around the bend, commando style.

Nothing. All clear. As I stood, I found the front of my shirt was now covered in a fine blend of carpet fuzz (yuck), marmalade crumbs (gross) and ash (dry heaves). I pawed ineffectually at the gunk and almost stumbled over an inappropriately placed dustbin in the process. I took careful stock of my surroundings to avoid any future mishaps.

The hallway wasn't as long as I had imagined, this side of the bend. The walls, now a nondescript beige- although from paint or age, I couldn't tell- were mostly unadorned, save for the faint tracery of a vine pattern, long since worn to shadows. Overhead, flourescent lighting added a modern touch, and it's faint crackle added a little warmth to my otherwise emotionless surroundings. The floor was surprisingly clean, and just ahead of me the carpet gave way to some rather nice wood flooring. There was a distinct lack of doors or windows in this corridor, and I realized that meant there was only one way out- ahead. A plain oak door, with rather antique looking hinges awaited at the other end.

I sent a quick text to my sister in the hope she was still able to write me back..

gone down hallway 2 my possible doom. Plz advise.

The door was warm against my face as I pressed my ear into the wood. I strained to hear anything from the other side, but slabs of oak aren't well known for their accoustics. The knob was also warm in my fingers, although worn smooth by years of turning hands. Warm? Either someone had just used this knob, or it was much more tropical on the other side! I tried to snake my fingers through the crack beneath the door in the hopes of feeling something from the other side.

"Eureka!" A high pitched voice crowed in glee, causing me to jump like an idiot, and pinch my fingers in the door. As I hopped around in somewhat silent agony, the voice continued.

"TAKE THAT you marmalade eating fiends!"

Holy guacamole.. it sure sounded like Bernice! I abandoned all pretenses at stealth, and flung myself through the doorway, wailing like an injured samurai banshee cat.

"BWEEEE-YAAAAAAWWWWWW!!! Leave my sister ALOOOOOONE!!!"

A crowd of strangers, some stranger than others, gawped at me.

"Euro? What the hell, dude?" Davis poked me with a warm, sticky finger and wrinkled his brow. Nearby, Bernice sat at a card table next to a crackling fireplace, happily playing Scrabble with Happy, Lurch, and some guy with his back to me who looked vaguely familiar.

next? Who is that masked man, anyway?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject:  

Harrold, it's got to be him! But why Bernie and Davis want to play scrabble with him... Hmmm...

Quote: I tried to prolong my trip down the hallway, but the corner approached no matter how I dragged my feet.

Great line! :D
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject:  

Nice.

It's some weird guy with the power to make you do whatever he suggests. He's a bit simple though, and thus easily entertained/distracted. She met him once several centuries ago in a loony bin. :shock:
scissorkitty

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:  

oh, Cren, are you drinking again? :) That doesn't follow the plot at all! We're not in your vampire story! :)

Euro isn't Immortal yet, so is only in her early 20s, and even Bernice has only been around since the 1920s or so. And no superpowers! (no matter HOW much I love the show Heroes!) :P
scissorkitty

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:  

POLLING!
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject:  

Your poll is unvotable and tied. Not a good situation to be in.

If it helps I say it's Harrold. Now get going with another chapter! :lol:
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:  

okay.. harrold then! yay! resolution, finally~ and on we go!

Storygames Home -> Eterna Familia
Page 1 of 1