Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter IV
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Rhapsody in Blue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Chapter IV  

IV

I paused. The silence wrapped around Ms. Parker, Deborah, and me. Deborah was being respectfully silent. Miss Parker was tapping her foot, impatiently waiting for me to make the biggest decision of my life.

I weighed the options. Option A—go live with some relatives in Minnesota, forget everything that happened to me in the past year and a half, and live a normal, if somewhat boring life. Tempting… Option B—go to an Organization I didn’t know of with an extremely hot woman I had met two weeks ago to learn how to control my “powers.” Exciting but dangerous… Somewhere, a door slammed.

Miss Parker looked at her watch, then at me. She smiled her sweet smile (I had taken to naming them all). “Look, Brandon, I know this is a big choice, but I need to know soon. I don’t have much time.”

I thought for a few more seconds, and then tried to vocalize my choice. All that came out was a short squeaking noise. I blushed and looked away, clearing my throat. Time to try again. This time, however, the words came out like a waterfall, hammering on the silence. “YesIwill”

Miss Parker smiled her pleased smile, face beaming. “Wonderful. I know that you’re going to enjoy the Organization, Brandon. And to think, I get to see you every day now!” My heart jumped into my throat. She’s too old, I told myself. Too old, too old, too old…

Deborah nodded, her nurse’s uniform crinkling slightly as she did so. She positively radiated pink and I could tell she was happy. “Very well. Brandon, you need to get back in bed. You may be out of the hospital, but you still need rest. Now Miss Parker, if you will follow me, you’ll need to sign a few documents in front of our hospital notary…” Her heels clicked down the hall in the key of C major as I got back into bed.

A few signatures later, a couple handshakes, and a talk with Bobby and Jacob, and the deed was done. I was now in a shiny black luxury car driven by Ms. Parker. I stayed rode comfortably in the passenger seat, thinking of my talk with my friends.

They had not been happy. In fact, they seemed distraught. I was going to miss the lime of Jacob’s aura—a combination of constant joy and hope. Most of all I would miss Bobby, even though his holier-than-thou act could be a little irritating at times. I watched all the colors whiz by as we drove past a busy sidewalk. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Orange. All the colors blurred together in one big blob as we accelerated. Finally, I turned to face Ms. Parker.

“Would it be alright if I set some… conditions to me being in the Organization?”

For a split second she looked surprised, but then the pure, white smile was back. “Like what?”

“I don’t know… I’d like to be able to visit my friends once in a while…”

She thought a second. “We can arrange that.”

“… and I’d like to be able to go to my dad’s trial…”

Nodding, she changed lanes. “Of course, but that isn’t for a few months”

Finally, one large, looming condition presented itself, a condition that I didn’t want to make, but knew I had to. “Also, if I say that I want to leave the Organization, you have to let me leave, no questions asked.”

She looked at me with a strange expression. “Now what makes you think we wouldn’t?”

I shrugged. “Nothing, I just wanted to make sure.”

We both lapsed into silence as we sped through the afternoon.

I fell asleep in the car. I don’t know how long I was out, but it was nighttime when Ms. Parker woke me up, so I must have slept a while. She shook me gently. I woke, but kept my eyes close. I wanted her to keep gently touching me so I could imagine her touching me for a different reason… Then she leaned over and whispered to me.

“I know you’re awake. Your breathing isn’t as regular anymore.”

Crap.

I opened my eyes. “Fine, you win. Are we here?”

Ms. Parker smiled her excited smile. “Yes.”

It was dark out and I was tired, so I didn’t get a good look at the outside of the Organization’s headquarters. I remember that I saw a gate and some gardens, and I remember a big large door.

I also remember the jarring not the door made as it closed behind us, as it closed on my past life. Everything was going to change.

DP!!!!

I know there isn’t something to vote on this time, but there’s still a DP. I need you all to think of powers that the other Artists could have. There’s really not limit, but I’d like for them to remain simple and they all have to do with some aspect of the arts (music, painting, sculpting, dancing, acting, writing, so on…)

Be creative!
TruePurple

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject:  

Susen has the power to make anything any color (actual color anyone can see) The nature of what she colors does not change except for the color itself. She just needs to imagine what she wants to appear, how, and on what and that thing (or person if she wanted) is that color('s) She can imagine more complex images with effort, the more complex, the more effort. Range is usually somewhat limited. If she can not see the target, its alot more difficult for her to do any kind of image, but not impossible. She can recall her colors/images at will, even if she can't see them and from great distances.

Also more complex images start to effect the mood of those who observe them, if they observe it long enough. She can't directly control what mood her more complex images create. But it is usually related to what kind of images it is. Sometimes a particularly good realistic image of hers can make one think and feel as though they are there in the "painting".

Frank can dance(dance not limited to movement of the legs) His dance can effect the rhythm of life around him. This includes mood, but also includes movement and general atmosphere. It radiates out from him. So the denser the population, the farther it goes and exponentially more people are effected. Those in a enclosed room etc. would be less likely to be effected. But people don't necessarily need to see the wave of change to be effected. Though it helps for them to experience the wave of change in some way, which is why a enclosed room blocks it so much, people going in and out of the enclosed room experiencing the wave is the best way for it to reach said enclosed room.

It can effects nonhuman animals too. But is not transmitted between different species, usually. (but some exceptions, like a dog handler might get it to/from dogs)

The effects are impermanent, lasting only as long as he is doing his moves. But additional effects of the effects may last longer. Like, he might be able to break up a traffic jam with his moves, and keep that area traffic jam free. If he stops moving, traffic jams may appear again. But they wouldn't necessarily instantly appear. And the good mood of those who are happy about being traffic jam free would last till the next traffic jam. Their good moods may also help prevent new traffic jams for longer. Those effected by franks moves long term may start learning to stay in that new groove.

Frank has a father who disapproves of dance, thinks its "sissy" (especially the ballerina and ballroom dancing Frank likes) and a mother who listens to her husband. Frank doesn't care what any of them thinks, he enjoys dance for its own sake. But its a sore subject with him. One issue though is when ever Frank dances, it effects people, he can't completely "turn it off" and frank likes to dance so very much. At the institution he is often asked not to dance except when in a enclosed room(since people don't like being effected by it so much) A point of contention between him and the authorities.

I have some other ideas too. But this should be fine for now.
DeadManWalking

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:  

i dunno about a name,

But here's two, similar enough to our main character.

The first always carries around a little drum, and is always tapping out beats. He can hear the rhythmn of the world, the steps of passerbys, the slamming of doors, the rhythmnic beating of the raindrops. And he's always tapped along. But sometimes, with a little trill of drumbeats, or a little bit slower beat, or perhaps even a beat missed here or there, he can shift the heartbeat of the world.

The second is a storyteller. Forever, she's been making stories up about people she sees walking down streets, and always she's been looking into the sky and imagining worlds. And then she noticed that, more and more, the things she made up turned out true.
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject:  

What about a person with similar, albeit freakishly amplified powers to Brandon, but by some twist of fate is colour blind?
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject:  

Can't think of a name, but someone who carries around a paintbrush. They can't see the colours, but the world is their canvas. If they paint a sun in the sky, the sun will move there, whatever time of day it is. If they make the lines of someone's arm a trifle more defined, more muscular, that person will find themselves stronger than before. If they smear paint across a lock, removing its boundaries, that lock will no longer exist in a solid form.

However, they can't undo what they're done. An accidental smear will be a constant smear on the world. If they do not make whatever (or whoever) they are drawing perfectly drawn, that thing (or person) will be deformed for life. Therefore, they cannot use their power unless under the control of their teacher. Their lessons are almost solely focused on keeping control of the shapes, and seeing what is a natural shape and what is not.
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject:  

These are GREAT!!!!

Keep 'em coming.

*warning: I may change some of the names or minor details to help them fit better in the story....
TruePurple

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject:  

@blacksmith
Even with the caveat of not being able to change something a second time, it seems too much. Especially in relation to the other aspects of the story. Doesn't seem to fit to me, just my opinion.

Fear has a interesting idea, to expand on it, since (perhaps) s/hes never seen color, his perceptions of it are different. Like s/he doesn't know what "red" or "green" looks like so when s/he "sees"certain tints its a completely different indescribable sensation.

By color blind, does this mean not being able to see colors at all. Or the more common, not being able to tell colors apart. Perhaps this person could be blind altogether.

DMW, the drummer kid I like. The fortune teller lady who makes stories real by telling them, I feel the same way about that as blacksmiths idea. Also reminds me of these commercials I've been seeing for this guy and his kid who tell stories that come real.(raining gumballs and all that)

I also feel that you shouldn't be too shy from making some peoples abilities work similar. The construct of everyone being extremely unique like that where you don't want duplication in anything is itself a unnatural thing. Exactly the same rarely ever happens, similar things occur all the time. The story would feel more nature/real that way.

Oh, and to add to my idea about susen, those who can see colors could be the most effected by her work. Also she can't make complex images instantly, she has to take the time laying down the colors in such a way to make the image. Not too unlike a painter, except without the brush or paint (she can do it faster and easier then a real painter, using techniques they can't use)
DeadManWalking

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject:  

And that gave me another idea.

When i read TP's bit about powers being alike, I immediately started thinking of making like powers that were unalike as possible.

I'm just like that.

So how 'bout this.

A kid who's view of the world is the truth.
His initial views of things are always right, but he can sometimes control the world by convincing himself that the world is one way or another.

Naturally, he's a very cynical kid.
TruePurple

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject:  

That sounds alot like your storyteller lady. And probably even closer to that movie. Also similar to blacksmiths paiting lady. Its all one idea really. Someone believes in a reality, so that reality happens.

The way I see it, the nature of the powers in this story is about seeing and controlling different kinds of "vibes" in one way or another. Which is why he suggested they all be artist types of one kind or another I think.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject:  

They're not about believing in a reality so it happens! (well, Dm's second one is, but...) They are about being able to change the world through being creative - as all of them are! Seeing the colours/hearing the beats/seeing the paint lines and being able to change the colours/play different beats/make new lines.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, that was me. Admin!
TruePurple

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:  

Anonymous wrote: They're not about believing in a reality so it happens! (well, Dm's second one is, but...) They are about being able to change the world through being creative - as all of them are! Seeing the colours/hearing the beats/seeing the paint lines and being able to change the colours/play different beats/make new lines.

Well I disagree. Painting something into existence or story telling something into existence with magic god like powers where your paint or story telling or belief isn't influencing, its just causing. Well that not what you're describing in that quote. Not only that blacksmith, you specified this person wouldn't be able to see the colors. Theres no vibe sensing and/or influencing in said powers.

And since its not the paint or the words that are causing the change(since plenty of people have both without magically altering reality with god like powers) it has to be the belief.
DeadManWalking

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:  

aren't all of these godlike powers?

And shouldn't we be allowing Leggie to use HIS discretion instead of shooting down the suggestions of fellow readers?
Alegria

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject:  

Speak of the devil and he comes :D

Don't worry, Purple. I will use all the suggestions that I can that would fit within the story. You don't need to argue amongst yourselves, just keep churning out ideas for another week.

Something important to note is that "vibes" are not the full extent of Brandon's powers. He really has no idea what ELOW (elevated levels of weirdness) he's getting himself into. His powers will become much more pronounced as time goes on, he just hasn't learned how to do such things yet.

Trust me, I've got all of it worked out up in the old noggin. ;)
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject:  

By the way, if I didn't make it clear, the guy who paints things has more of a feel for where the lines that define things are than normal people, partly through his abilities and partly because of his experience painting.

And another idea. A guy who can sense the energies of the world - heat, light, strong emotion - and alter them. He can't create energy, but he can channel it from one source to another. This means that if someone is very tired, he can take energy from the lights or something and give it to that person. If there is an argument, he can take all the anger out of the fighters, although he has to find somewhere to put it.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:  

A musician who can see alternate realities by manipulating vibrations in the strings of musical instruments. (Ever twanged a guitar string and watch the waves move up and down it?)

The treble notes on a piano have two and three strings for each note, and a piano tuner must tune them absolutely in synch with one another to sound pure. If those strings are even slightly out of tune with one another it affects the resonance and the sound 'wobbles' - and it is through seeing the slightly different shapes created by the strings vibrations and hearing the resulting dissonance, he/she can 'experience' a parallel reality if a different path had been taken in the past.

This person is a bit of a science buff and has designed and built an enormous contraption based on stringed instruments. He/She adjusts the tuning of certain strings so that he/she can witness possible eventualities that nobody else can see.

Caveat to prevent uberness - He/She has no control over searching for eventualities, so its not like you can go to them and say - 'if I made such and such a decision, what would happen?' But he/she could present a selection of near-future scenarios that exist in parallel dimensions, with no clue as to their causes, or even if the cause-events have already happened. And of course with no clue as to which scenario will actually happen in the current dimension.

A sort of probability thing, if you like. :)
Alegria

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:  

Sorry for the wait, but Christmas consumes my life...

Anyways, the new chapter will be out after Christmas.

On this note, if the city fines me before the month is out I will be upset.

It's happened before. Grrrrrr....

Storygames Home -> Rhapsody in Blue
Page 1 of 1