Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Does God Exist?
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Does God Exist?  

I was made aware of this debate by a teacher and I thought that you guys would enjoy it. It's an intellectual conversation, nearly two hours long; you don't have to watch the entire thing, you can watch snippets here and there, and I can assure you it's interesting (if you are interested in self-examination). Two 'opposing' viewpoints examine the human condition and the truth of existence. Feel free to discuss the video on this thread if you wish, but don't assume that I am inciting a science/religion debate of my own. I am only posting this so that those who are interested may reflect upon it, without the need of advocating either side.

Here is the video's link and description:

Does God Exist? A debate between best-selling authors Rabbi David Wolpe and Sam Harris.

American Jewish University presents best-selling authors Sam Harris and Rabbi David Wolpe in a debate about the existence of God and the role of religion and faith in society. Sam Harris is a renowned atheist and author of The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation. Rabbi David Wolpe, of Sinai Temple, is the author of Teaching Your Children About God and Why Be Jewish. This debate is moderated by Los Angeles Times religion editor Steve Padilla.

American Jewish University is grateful to Jewish Television Network for their partnership in making it possible for the public to view more of our programs.
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject:  

Hey, Lotus! Nice post.

You seem to have stumbled upon the central questions of "The Priest" too early (I'm only going to be asking the questions, not answering them in one way or another):

Is there a God?

What is the nature of God?

How does God relate to man?

If there is a God, does a man's wants really matter at all? Do they matter if there is not a God?

Of course these won't be the only questions the Priest asks, but they're some.

I'm excited. :D
Smee

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:  

I surprised myself, and actually watched the whole thing, despite its length. It was definately an fascinating conversation.

I'm not interested in expressing any of my opinions on the subject, and the video isn't one that'd likely lead to any changing of views, regardless of your current side. But it is a pleasing example of modern, intelligent debate. May there be much more of it.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: You seem to have stumbled upon the central questions of "The Priest" too early (I'm only going to be asking the questions, not answering them in one way or another):

Well, I hardly think I 'stumbled' upon these questions, but I'm looking forward to reading some new chapters of The Priest. :D

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
Page 1 of 1