Free online storygaming

Indelible: Chapter Nine
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Indelible
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scissorkitty

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Indelible: Chapter Nine  

ChapterNine

Uh.. what do you say we head somewhere NOT overpopulated by my relatives? George grinned a little awkwardly as their feet hit the pavement, and shifted his weight from left to right.

What? Are you afraid to do the walk of shame, your bed-tousled minion in tow?
Leah punched him lightly in the shoulder and laughed.
Yeah, alright, you pussy. We'll go somewhere else. When they ask what all the rukus was, you can just say we were playing a vigorous game of Scrabble.

Chuckling and punching each other, they rounded the corner and split down the first side street they came to. After a few cobbled alleys, they ended up outside a small cafe, complete with a glowing sign for "All Day Breakfast.. Best On This Street!"

Dude! Leah nudged George in his ribs.
That's advertising honesty right there. Hard to come by in these rough economic times.

Definitely. We owe them the bounty of our patronage just for being so fucking honest on their shitty sign. He snickered.
Besides, breakfast is the best meal of the day. And at least they spelled everything right.

Inside, the little cafe proved to be little more than a room with a bar on one side, the counter top crowded with hot-plates bearing steaming platters of regular brekkie staples. It was a little dim, due to the old wood paneling that covered the walls, but bright pictures of different pastoral landscapes crowded on top, each ensconced in a different wooden frame. A collection of mats and rugs patterned the floor, covering the spotty aged laminate below, and lending an air of second-hand warmth. Scattered booths, benches and chairs, rescued from an assortment of closed diners and restaurants, pushed up against one another, jostling for floorspace. Above it all, the scent of hot pancakes and eggs wafted in the air.

Oooh. God. I could eat the whole place. Yum!

They were settled into a small corner booth, the seats cracked old vinyl, the kind that pulls on the skin when slid across. Luckily, the owner had forethough, and had thrown some sort of celestial-patterned blanket over the seats in an effort to up the comfort quotient. The table itself was a little tippy, but undeniably clean. George luxuriated in the unaccustomed position of customer, as opposed to "owners' lazy brother who'd best be helping out unless he wants to start paying rent like a normal person", and rested his hands behind his head.

Uh, enjoying yourself, buddy? Leah snickered to herself, but arranged her features into a slightly less devilish smile for the approaching waiter.

The waitress, upon closer inspection, was a lanky, rail-thin girl, rocking the androgynous look to just short the point of desperation, with red hair cropped Annie Lennox-style close. A thin white tanktop over what appeared to be an army-print bandeau, and a pair of beaten fatigue pants hovering uncertainly above sandaled feet covered with intricate henna designs completed her slightly bizarre outfit. She handed out a pair of tea cups, and gestured to the buffet. Her voice was soft, but friendly.

Buffet, then, aye? We dinnae hae anything else right now. Tea?

George's eyes crossed slightly at the overpowering accent, but Leah grinned back at the girl and nodded appreciatively. Hell yeah. What kind of tea?

Oy! Liam! The waitress unexpectedly shouted across the room, a second redhead, almost a mirror image of herself, poked round the corner. Tea over her. Ye'd best be coming to explain. With a soft smile, she gestured them towards the buffet. When yer ready, then.

A little confused, Leah and George waited as the male twin, Liam, sauntered from the kitchen, completely empty handed. His outfit was again almost a mirror image of his sister, minus the bandeau beneath the tanktop. He grinned hugely, showing off dimples and a slight snaggle-tooth, and hooked a chair over to their table.

Right then. So, ye'd be wanting tea then, aye? Here's how it go. Breakfast over there is a'ways the same, but the tea.. He waggled a finger. That's the trick, now. What kind ye have depends on what trouble ye have, or what ye wish t' ken. And so, my little black dove? What wish ye? He waggled his brows at Leah.

Uh.. seriously? You don't have, like, earl grey or anything?

Liam just sat patiently, a grin flitting across his features and lighting his eyes.

(SO? What does Leah, and what might George, wish to know?)

*edited
Phantomfan

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject:  

Nice!

Hmmm. How about something that happens to bring out the wings on Leah's back? I'm not sure what it'd be called, though- something like "The True being" or something in a foreign language. In Yorkshire, perhaps!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject:  

Quote: And so, my little black dove? What wish ye?

I think this comment might bring out some paranoia in Leah - she'll be wondering if Liam can tell what's hidden behind her back or if his turn of phrase was just a coincidence.

She might say "I want to know what you know".

George, on the other hand, might be more interested in what they put in the tea. :grin:

So there ya go. Two completely different suggestions for the poll. Excellent chapter. :)
scissorkitty

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:  

Hee hee. I was wondering if that comment would spark any ideas! Good catch, Crunchy!
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:  

Thems some strange waiters!

Though, I'd have to agree, that she'd ask something about her wings. George, on the other hand, would probably crack a joke or something.
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: A lanky, rail-thin girl, rocking the androgynous look to just short the point of desperation, she had her red hair cropped close.

This sentence doesn't seem to be complete. Might wanna fix it.

As for the DP, it is somewhat doubtful that Leah will confess to this strange waiter her situation, especially since she seems skeptical already of his tea-producing methods, and because she hasn't even confessed her secret to her partner/chum George.

Instead, I think she would make the request more indirectly, without explicitly stating her problem. Maybe she'd ask: "I want to understand my dreams."

As for George, we know that right now he is stricken with Leah, so he is likely to ask something regarding their relationship. "I want to know whether anybody is in love with me." might be appropriate.
Smee

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject:  

Hey hey Skitster :D

I had to laugh, when starting this story. Warning at the top, followed by an immediate 'Mother fucker'. *giggles*

And you had me chuckling a number of other times too, including :

Quote: "Yeah, man. You know I can't resist when you twitch those eye-mustaches at me. "

~

Yet you also had me gripped, because otherwise I wouldn't have 'heard' the

Quote: sshhhHHHHHeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEee

Nails scratched ominously across the glass

It actually made me shudder like someone in the office did it right there and then. :shock:

~

Quote: rescued from an assortment of closed dinners and restaurants bumped up against eachother,

Think you meant 'diners' and to have a space between 'each' and 'other'.

And I also got caught out by that sentence D linked. Definately something up with it.

~

As for the decision point - I'm liking the dream understanding idea. If it was more on her mind, I might have suggested she'd want to know the history behind her new 'sleeping' ink gun, (which should be interesting!) but I think that is too forgotten at this moment.

Dreams is obscure enough to get what she wants to know without giving away too much. I can't think of better.

George - D is along the right lines, but I doubt he'd be that blatant in front of Leah. I reckon he's probably more nervous about 'fuckin' it up' with her, so will whisper a desire to know how to keep her happy.

Happy Writing :)
scissorkitty

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject:  

great suggestions, guys! whee!

And thanks for the sentence fixes- get right on those in a sec.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject:  

The poll doesn't give us a chance to vote a second time :( .

So, I've put my thumbprint on Leah asking Liam to 'know what he knows'

and I will also say that George cracks a joke and orders an OJ.

:)
scissorkitty

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject:  

OH!! i DIDN'T know you couldn't vote twice. Okay... Lets run the poll for Leah, and then we'll do it again for George.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:  

*sticks thumbprint on option 2* :-D
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:  

The poll looks like some sort of alien face right now. :P
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject:  

Missed the rather fast DP, sorry Skitty. Never mind, voted. And glad to see this one moving once more.

I voted for the tea, having just been out to the local supermarket to discover they don't have any. Stupid tiny town.
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject:  

Okay.. so Leah is going to ask Liam to suggest something to help her decipher her dreams.. what's George going to do?
scissorkitty

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject:  

AWWW.. you sentimental softies! ;) So George wants to make Leah happy, eh? Okay then.. give me a little time and I'll get the next installment going.
Smee

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject:  

Woo - 3 cheers for sentimental softies :P
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject:  

:P

Hip hip... Hooray!

Will we be seeing a chapter soon, kitty? I'm eager to see the character development, and also how the plot moves along.

Storygames Home -> Indelible
Page 1 of 1