Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geek_girl72

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Elder Scrolls 4  

OBLIVION ROCKS!!!!! :shock:
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject:  

Actually, while it has several advances in gameplay/mechanics and a few very nice new features, it falls short in several areas compared to Morrowind.

Positives: I loved the new fast travel system, loved the introduction of horses. I thought it was a nice touch to make you unable to sell stolen goods to honest merchants, you had to be a thief and use fences. I of course liked the update in graphics and the fact that block/yield were now easier to use.

Negatives: Nixing the skill requirements to advance in guilds/factions was a very unsatisfying thing for me as it meant that my heavy armor wearing axe wielding Nord was able to become Archmage with very little effort on my part. Also, the main quest didn't really feel like an accomplishment once I'd beaten it. Unlike in Morrowind, where you really had to work for it, in Oblivion it was all hack and slash mayhem. It was extremely easy to complete if you were a vampire with high stealth and marksman...almost cheap even with the difficulty slider pushed into the red.

Win of the Game: The Dark Brotherhood was a lot more fun than the Morag Tong. The missions were varied, even if it was killing someone every time, and it was always interesting to get the bonuses. Such as sneaking into the imperial prison without being spotted, not just running as fast as you could and praying the guards didn't manage to kill you first.

Fail of the Game: The 'level with you' feature that meant that the monsters and loot were scaled to your level. If you were level one, you had no chance of finding anything worthwhile and all the magic items were inevitably weaker than they would have been had you completed the quests at a higher level.
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject:  

Heh, max sneak is broken as.

Oblivion feels much more rewarding after the game's main quest lines are officially over, i.e. when you start smacking everything into smithereens in single hits.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject:  

I found that the game just took too long. I set off with the intention of doing everything, but eventually decided that enough was enough, and just finished blitzing the main storyline. In comparison, I loved Fallout 3 (essentially Oblivion in the future) the whole way through, and keep getting tempted to start yet another new character.

The downsides of ESIV were - in my opinion - the lack of RP elements. There were very few quests where you actually had an option about how to complete them - the methods could chance, but the outcomes were always the same. Enemies also seemed scaled very strangely at points. Half the time they were simply annoying that had to be pushed through/killed to complete each quest, but didn't pose any danger to you, yet every now and then (Oblivion Gates mainly IIRC) there were enemies who could kill you single-handedly if you weren't careful.
PilgrimSoul

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject:  

I've beat Oblivion a few times, and I like it, but I much prefer some of the newer Rpgs on the Xbox 360.

Oh, random fact: Did you hear about the study showing video games could help treat children with ADD?

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
Page 1 of 1