Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Competition: Ingenuity
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkdestiny

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Competition: Ingenuity  

good evening! I had this idea and thought I'd give it a try.So, welcome, and please continue onto the rules.

Rules:

- first come first serve, five people can participate. (if this goes well, I might make the next one open to all)

- here's a list of numbers

1. Crunchyfrog; Noun = Dog
2. Masterweaver; Noun = Cat
3. Shillelagh; Noun = Tree
4. Thunderbird; Noun = Butterfly
5. Vishal Muralidharan; Noun = Riddle

- all numbers have a secret noun assigned to them

- once all numbers are filled, i will reveal each player's noun.
- the player must then come up with a title, concept, and loose outline for a SG based on that noun.

Edit: because of some apparent confusion, you may now replace the words "based on" with the words "inspired by"

- All entries must be in by the end of the month.

- once all entries are in, there will be a vote. I will give the winner 100 fables :P (hey, i'm new XD)

Sound good?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:  

Count me in! :)
kkdestiny

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject:  

ok, one down, four more to go :)
Masterweaver

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:  

Eh, sure, why not.
Shillelagh

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject:  

That does sound fun. I'll give it a try.
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject:  

Oh, why not :D I'll give it a go.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject:  

oh, cool! i guess i'll be no. 5!!!!!
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject:  

Ah! riddle!!!!

How long do we get, by the way?!
kkdestiny

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject:  

hm...how long do you think is good?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject:  

Why not set a date? You could say the end of the month, followed by a weeks worth of voting.

That way the creative part of it won't overlap with Nano. :)
kkdestiny

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject:  

sounds good. Y'all have 'til the end of the month to get your entires in.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject:  

Okay, here's my entry (Hope this is the sort of thing you're looking for, KK. :) )

Noun - Dog.

Title - Sniffer

Concept

When Jason takes on a retired police sniffer dog, he is unaware of the bizarre adventures his new canine friend is about to lead him through.

Outline

Sniffer is a labrador, too old to continue his service as a police dog. He's taken on by Jason, a trainee accountant, just out of uni. Jason lives on his own but has a girlfriend, Sandi.

As Jason walks Sniffer in the local area, he notices the dog is drawn to a specific road of full of old second hand shops, and in particular, a herbalist store. The dog also insists on walking a specific circular route around the town, which includes this particular road.

Jason puts the dog's bizarre behaviour down to its experiences as a police dog. But when one day Jason is challenged by a homeless guy he has never seen before to stop following him, Sniffer attacks the stranger in an instinctive move to defend his owner.

As punishment they are banished to an alternate, spooky reality of their home town, where nothing is as it seems. Jason must learn to no longer trust his own senses and has to rely on Sniffer to find the key that will open the door back to his own universe.

However in this universe, Sniffer is also not always as he seems.

The DPs for this Storygame would be themed around whether or not Jason should believe what he sees and hears at the end of each chapter.
kkdestiny

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:  

yes, very good CF :)

and a very good start to this competition.
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject:  

Noun - Butterfly

Title - Fluttering Wings

Concept

As a butterfly flutters its wings in Nepal, setting off a chain reaction leading to a hurricane in Tokyo, so too does every action of our protagonist affect every future path that may come.

Outline

Our main character, a male Fairy named Tifon, along with his faithful butterfly sidekick, Monarch, finds himself trapped in a time rift. It unleashes him upon various timeline stages of an unfolding plot in which a small child has grown to become a terribly evil criminal that eventually destroys the world.

Every so often, Tifon, after having witnessed the devestation of future events, falls into another time warp and ends up near to the story's villain in some stage of that person's life. It is up to Tifon to try to intervene in whatever events are unfolding in this person's timeline, in such a way as to attempt to avert future disaster. DP's shall center around this theme.

The fairy is always pulled back to the future to witness the result of his tampering, only to find things far worse until we work our way back to the child's youth where we are given the final opportunity to unravel the evil seed that was once planted there.

It is here, in the finale, that we realize the fairy is simply the boy's good side that escaped his soul when the evil came to reign, and here when we see what can be done to make ourselves whole again, along with the future of the whole world.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:  

Noun - Riddle

Title - Dark Riddles

Genre- Sci-Fi

Concept

Aisha Kaelyn is a scientist at the National Research Institute, hoping to make a sensation by discovering Dark Matter, a particle which no-one can see, and throwing open the door to the secrets of the universe.

Outline

Aisha Kaelyn, aged 26, is a scientist researching Particle Physics, while she stumbles upon the theory of Dark Matter. Dark Matter is a substance which no-one has seen, and two experiments to discover it have already taken place within the last month, both of them resulting in the sudden disappearance of the scientists.

Determined to get a trace of this seemingly non-existent particle, Aisha heads a team filled with brave scientists like herself to crack open the riddle of the dark matter.

She uses all sorts of machines, including particle accelerators, but as the experiment is midway, she realizes that all the questions posed to her team by nature are like riddles, teasing their very basic foundation of science. An unexpected result could destroy what we know as science today. Suddenly, there is a blinding flash of light, and she finds herself in a totally different dimension altogether.

Trying to explore the weird 'planet' where she finds herself, she meets the other two scientists whose experiment had failed. Together, they embark on a quest to return to earth, with the key to the universe.
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

Darned challenging to write I'd say but a great idea V!
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks a lot, Tbird!!!

I figured out writing would be a challenge, but ive always been interested in Particle Physics and stuff like antimatter and this idea popped up in my mind!!

Am i trying to grow too fast as a writer?!
kkdestiny

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject:  

I personally don't think so, but i would keep updated up terms used for stuff like this just in case :P

I once wanted to write a story along with someone that involved transport to other worls using blackholes, did some research and found that wormholes were a more plausible idea. :P
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Am i trying to grow too fast as a writer?!

Heck no! I think it'd be a great challenge.. but then, this is just a suggestion of what COULD be written phase... I'm actually saying that I, myself, felt it would be a bit intimidating to write as it is such a technical subject matter.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:  

:lol: Dark Matter really exists!!!

u didn't know that?! Thunder?!

My story is based around the word riddle and the Dark Matter!

All i have posted about dark matter is completely true, except for the experiments part!

it is really a Updated term!!!!!
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject:  

Yes of course I realize it exists... or at least theoretically it is an answer for phenomenon our physics seem to have no other answer for.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: Quote: Am i trying to grow too fast as a writer?!

Heck no! I think it'd be a great challenge.. but then, this is just a suggestion of what COULD be written phase... I'm actually saying that I, myself, felt it would be a bit intimidating to write as it is such a technical subject matter.

**Heaves a sigh of relief** :D
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject:  

Noun: Cat

Title Dune Walker

Concept A survivalist hunter wanders through the desert, and investigates a ruin along the way. A strange picture of another hunter gets his attention, and he embarks on a quest to find her...

Outline
Our hero (never outright identified as feline) silently walks through the sand, tracking down prey and shelter in the burning, burning sun. He eventually comes to rest under a slab marked with strange runes and forms; it is but a member of many such slabs, from whose form he derives a shape of a humongous, stout snake with flat prongs at the end.

Upon waking up, he finds that the innards of the massive snake are not flesh, but hot gray flatrock with a soft blue center. For some reason, their are soft blue teeth inside; he can tell they're teeth because of the bones of some creature that got caught in on of them. The creature itself is strange in form; he eventually derives that it was a burrower, because its front paws look like they could end in digger claws and its face would be pointed down.

However, in one of the objects that surround the corpse, he finds the image of another dunewalker! She stands with a creature that is clearly the corpse, but they are not in a den; the clawless burrower stands upright in some strange sort of bright rockcave. The dunewalker also has something about her neck, from which hangs a tag with those same strange runes. This piques our hero's curiosity, so he sets out to investigate the fat snake for other hints to the girl's location...

Thus begins a long quest to find out about this girl and, consequently, about these strange burrowers. He travels though the desert and then out of it; he garners information from others along the way, learning about the legendary square spires of water that these creatures could live in. DPs would be based on what he does with this information, and, when he finally gets to civilization, what he would make of the strange things about him. And we never use the c-word.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject:  

eh?! you are supposed to use the c-word aren't you?!

Nice idea though!!
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:  

You're supposed you base your story off the word. Actually using it is not a requirement.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject:  

*shrugs*

I still like the story!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject:  

So... just Shillelagh to come up with his entry by the 31st....

The finger of S.H.A.M.E. is flexing it's muscles... :P

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
kkdestiny

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:  

XD

hmmm 'tis the 29th :O
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject:  

XD

hmmm 'tis the 31st :O
Shillelagh

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:  

Oh, calm down, already. You have to understand, that in my culture, you do not submit your work until up close to the deadline. Both IS and W1k preferred to edit in private, mull over it, make it better, and then make it public right before judging. It's what I'm used to doing. By my count, I have a full six hours left. No SHAME for me.

Also, I found mine fairly hard. It was a bit complicated to work a noun with so much attached symbolism- most of my early ideas sounded like cribs of Avatar, or The Lorax, or of some other such nature-hippy-drippy type stuff. I don't think I succeeded on that point, but at least I tried. It didn't help that my current SG deals fairly heavily with trees, so I felt the need to separate myself from that. And, also, this was midterms week coupled with a band trip- I've just come back to 150+ new messages. But enough meaningless excuses.

Fertile Abandon

Concept: On a barely-colonized world such as Nikma X-32 Alpha, banishment from the colony means certain death. Once your oxygen runs out, and the sun sets, you will surely die without the means of technology. And, for some, banishment is death. But, unknown to the colony, one criminal stumbled upon a tree. With food, water, shelter, and air... that man founded a village. And as he grew more trees in more areas, so too did his village grow...

Outline: The story follows a man named Bo, has been recently banished from the colony. He was trying to help a friend, but that friend turned on him and used him as a scrapegoat. He stumbles across one of the villages at a key time. There are almost two dozen villages on the outskirts of the colony. The villages themselves can't get too big, lest the colony notice them, but the villages are under one semi-uniform council of elders. They take a liking to Bo, and pretty soon he's thrust straight into the middle of the problem. Should he side with the villages, or try and warn the colongy? If the colony later discovers that he is innocent, won't it look bad that he tried to overothrow them? The villagers are all decendents of ex-cons... will they take kindly to disloyalty? And if the villages take over the colony, what then? Do they try and overthrow the government and replace it with their own? Or do they enact revenge, and raze the colony to the ground, forcing its inhabitants to flee to other planets?
kkdestiny

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject:  

Understood, I will keep that in mind. :)

Alrighty! 'Tis the 31st and all entries are in. Time for polling. Polls will be open for 5 days. Tell your friends to drag them in here so there can be more votes. I, myself, shall remain impartial unless needed. :P
Masterweaver

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject:  

...Why does everybody capitalize the w? It's clearly lower case!
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject:  

NOT FAIR!

In India's Standard time, Shillelagh posted his entry on nov 1 5:30 am!
*hmph*

:-x :mad:
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject:  

o.o I don't have india's standard time >.< I got on when I could on the 31st my time x.x
kkdestiny

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject:  

It seems that thunderbird has won! :O

Thank you all for participating -weather it be creating or voting!

I will create another contest soon so watch out for that, ok? ^.~
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject:  

Congrats TB! :tu:

And kudos to KK for running and seeing through this comp. :cool:
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject:  

Congratulations Thunderbird!! :cool:

I'll be waiting for the next competition!!!!
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:  

Thanks to all and I just have to say, I really thought everyone came up with really great ideas. There really wasn't a lackluster one in the bunch and I believe the poll really showed that.

Storygames Home -> The Vault
Page 1 of 1