Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Competition: Myth (closed)
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkdestiny

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Competition: Myth (closed)  

Alrighty! As you can see, it didn't take me very long to set up a new competition!

In my previous competition I had a set number of slots open for competition and promised that if all went well I would think about making the next one open. I then had to figure out how to make such a competition based on the lay out of the last one.

Here's a link to Competition: Ingenuity

BUT! I figured out an accepable format and so I now present to you Competition: Myth. :)

1. All can create entries.
2. Select a mythical creature from the list below

Elf
Gryphon
Phoenix
Hyppogrif
Druid
Dwarf
Unicorn
Sphinx
Dragon
Oracle

3. Select from below

Red
Blue
Ruby
Jade
Crimson
Azure
Gold
Golden
Silver
Pink

4. Using your mythical creature, you must create a SG Concept and loose outline.

5.You can litterally put your creature into your story, or be inspired by it.
5.5 If you were inspired, explain how.

6. I don't care what the Title of your SG is - but it's got to include your second word.

7. All contestants are to use the following format.

Name:
Creature:
2nd word:
Title:
Concept:
Outline:

8. If the entrant so decides, they may add the field "DP"

9. Winner will get 150 fables
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I need ideas for the deadline :)

Anyone?
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm... I am very tempted to have a go at this. Problem is, once I start thinking about a story/SG idea, I get it into my head that I want to write it, and, seeing as I have 3 SGs on the go at the moment (and am unable to cope ;)), to have the temptation to add a fourth is utter madness. ;)

What the hell, sod it! Does just one person get to use each creature and colour?

*begins plotting immediately* Actually, I have more ideas for paintings than SGs at this point, oddly enough. ;)

As for deadline ideas, I've never actually run a competition myself, but I would imagine a fornight should be sufficient. But like I said, I haven't done anything like it before, so I'm not the best person to give advice on it. If it was a short story or something, I would say slightly longer, but considering it is just the concept and overview, I think two weeks should be enough.

Anyways, good luck with your second competition, kk! :)
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject:  

Oh, good! Another KK competition!

I'v got the same questions i guess. Do we get to choose only one creature? I wouldn't mind either way, but it would be fun to use more than one in the story ;)

Also, I am not really good at setting deadlines(i've never been good at management :( ), and i can do it within the deadline you set, and that's all I care about them :D

Looking forward to this competition... Where's Thunderbird? :cool:
kkdestiny

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:  

a single person only gets to choose one creature to base the story on, but there may be others in the list included in the story.

Even if a creature is used, another contestant can use the same creature/word

and no idea where thunderbird is :P

How about two weeks after this Saturday?
Masterweaver

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject:  

IT'S SPELLED GRYPHON ARRRGH!

But seriously, I might consider this. I'm a little amazed that the Oracle made the list--it's more a mythical profession than a mythical creature--but on the whole I think I could probably throw out an epic idea. Although it might be better to have the authors anonymously send you the suggestions, so as to provide equality in voting...
Shillelagh

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject:  

Actually, Gryphon, Griffon, and Griffin are all considered correct. So are Hippogriff and Hippogryph. There's only one correct way to spell Phoenix, though.
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject:  

Here I am ;)

Alright, I'll take part.
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject:  

we have an entry :P

Creature:Dragon

2nd word:Jade

Title: Jade Eternity

Concept: When her friend comes down with a deadly disease, an ordinary village girl must take a journey to the heart of the legends of the dragons in order to save him.

Outline: A warrior attempts to take the cave jewel of Barrth'et out of greed, instead of kindness as it's supposed to be used. His servant, Jarrwyth, saves his master and catches what was supposed to befall the warrior-the Jade Eternity.

The Jade Eternity is a sickness that lasts for 12 moons (months) and ends in the victim being boiled to death by their own heat. After death, the body is eventually consumed in fire. Jarwyth's friend, Katalene, is determined to save her friend.

So the village elder tells her the history of the jewel. How it was placed by the jade dragon Mesiana to heal and help the kind and punish evil. Katalena must quest to the Frost Mountains of the North, find the dragons, and plead Jarrwyth's innocence.

Katalene faces many challenges on her journey. Will she succeed? Will she get home in time? And when faced with a terrible choice, will she have what it takes to save her friend, and herself?
kkdestiny

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject:  

Creature: Sphinx

2nd Word: Golden

Title: Beneath Golden Sands

Concept: When Prof. Lydia Newheart discovers a secret passage, beneath the right paw of the Great Sphinx of Giza, she decides to throw caution to the wind, and explore. But, what is potentially the greatest discovery of the 21st century, turns into a life and death struggle for Lydia, as she discovers that magic isn't a myth, and all that's buried is not dead.

Outline: Archaeologist, Prof. Lydia Newheart, leaves behind the sunny shores of Cornwall, swapping them for the sweltering deserts of Egypt. Having always wanted to study the Great Sphinx of Giza, she makes it a trip of both business and pleasure. After all, what could be better than getting paid for something you enjoy.

One day, whilst examining a section of the monolith, she finds an undiscovered group of hieroglyphics, seeming to have been purposely hidden, by being filled in with some form of mud, which she deems to be river mud, likely from the Nile. Upon carefully removing the mud, she finds beneath four hieroglyphs that she's never seen before. One, an eye, with nine lashes, outlined in blue and with a vivid green pupil, catches her own eye immediately. When she examines it more closely, she happens to press down on the pupil, which unlocks a doorway beneath the sphinx paw.

Upon peering inside, she finds a very steep staircase, leading down, though to what, she has no idea. She looks around, and finds that she is alone. She knows that she should go find some help, before attempting an exploration of her find, yet some unknown force seems to be pulling her towards the stairs. She decides to just go down a few steps to see if she can see how far down they go.

Taking her torch/flashlight, she begins to make her way down. But the worst happens, when she reaches the sixth step, triggers a booby trap, and the door to the outside world closes on her. Scream and shout as she might, she cannot make anyone hear her. So she has no choice but to continue down, to try and find another way out, encountering, magic, mayhem, and the living undead along the way, as well as a whole host of other beings, which reason dictates shouldn't be there at all.
kkdestiny

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:  

two saturdays down, one more comng up :)

also, good luck to all in nanowrimo :O I found out that it's in november, sorry about that guys XD
crazybookgal

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject:  

ok i dont want to sound nosy but wats that???
Quote: also, good luck to all in nanowrimo :O I found out that it's in november,
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject:  

NaNoWriMo is a sort of a story writing competition, where your supposed to finish 50000 words in a month... I tried and ended up with 26733 words, and Im gonna make it a SG later on....

More info -> www.nanowrimo.org
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:  

Thank you Vishal :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry I've been delayed on this... not much time to write on the weekdays and a little uninspired last weekend so I'll probably get it this weekend... I hope.
kkdestiny

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject:  

just remember, it's got to be in by the end of saturday if you wanna send it in :P

and we got a new entry!

Creature: Dragon

2nd word: Ruby

Title: Ruby's Revenge

Concept: A young woman is dragged into a world of horror, where she must carry out the revenge of a murdered girl.

Outline: Carol is knocked out by a hit and run driver, and wakes up in hospital with a strange man at her bedside. He chats to her as if he knows her well, and keeps calling her Ruby. She has him thrown out of her room, but when she is discharged a few days later, it seems like he is following her everywhere she goes.

As she goes about her daily life, the word Ruby continues to recur. It appears in a book she is reading, the colour of lipstick she buys, a ruby encrusted gold dragon disappearing in a jewelry robbery, an overheard conversation with an old lady named Ruby. The ruby dragon in particular features in nightmares and she becomes consumed by the word, and even begins calling herself Ruby.

The DPs in the first half of this Storygame are centered around how she deals with each recurrence of the word, as she is drawn closer to her destiny. Eventually she seeks out the strange man in the hospital, and he takes her to a hypnotherapist.

During the session, the girl Ruby emerges from Carol's subconscious, and reveals the murderous task Carol must perform, if she is to be free of this curse.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject:  

So....

When are we going to poll? :)
kkdestiny

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:  

very soon now. Give me a minute.

This is a late entry, but since I myself was not here to enforce the deadline, I will allow it. :)

1st Word (Creature): Phoenix

2nd Word: Crimson

Title: Rise of the Crimson Storm

Concept: A man who cannot be killed goes to war against the powers that be.

Outline: A family man has been made homeless by the recent market crash. While on the streets trying to scramble for food and shelter, his wife is arrested for trying to steal food and his children are taken into protective custody. Desperate for money to rectify the situation with his kids and pay for an attorney for his wife's trial, he joins a 'drug trial' program. Soon after taking the drugs, with no adverse side effects, he gets the cash and rushes to hire a Lawyer but is accosted along the way by fellow homeless thugs who knew he'd be paid and had set a trap for him. He's shot and he loses his money... and his life.

But he finds himself reborn that night, his body repaired, and now possessed of strange powers.

Now, as a man who is basically immortal, the drugs having made him so regenerative he simply cannot be killed permanentlyy, he rises up to get his family back, despite all resistance in front of him. In the end, it is the government that he must go to war with, and the conspiracies within the government that brought this common man to his knees in the first place.

DPs: They would mostly focus on strategic decisions and cliffhangers.
kkdestiny

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject:  

Poll Closes in 5 Days
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject:  

Whoah! I missed it! :-o
kkdestiny

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject:  

wow, like, no one really voted XD

anyways I guess i'll just have to break the tie. sorry for being gone so long guys!

I declare Beneath Golden Sands the winner! I will send the winner money, and...
It is Tikanni!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject:  

Congratulations! :D
kkdestiny

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:  

announcement:

although you guys may enjoy my competitions (and I'm so glad that you do!) I will have to take a break from setting them up so that I can raise fables to give out XD this probably includes getting back to writing my story and stuff :P
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject:  

Never fear, kk... I'm in charge of handing out fables from the treasury for this sort of thing... just send me a request for the fables you'd like to be able to reward and I'll grant them to you for that purpose (and reimburse you for all spent on these so far as well ;) ) Just pm me and it will be done!
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject:  

:O dude, that's awesome

Storygames Home -> The Vault
Page 1 of 1