Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Linked Metaverse
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterweaver

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Linked Metaverse  

This project is inspired somewhat by "Murder in the intergalactic garden," but is different in that it is not one document, but any amount of stories and storygames and artworks. That is to say, a shared stroyverse. This topic serves as a central node of information, linking to all these materials and also listing some rules for writing in the storyverse. As we're making it up on the fly, these rules can change; suggestions for new rules can be found in the comments below, based on the stories written. Please, support the story in any way you can.

RULES
1. All topics in canon for this storyverse must begin LM:. In example, "LM: Creation".
2. There cannot be contradictions in canon. The below rules outline what is true and what isn't.
3. If a Linked Metaverse work is accused of contradicting previous canon, a group of LM writers will examine the work in question. If the accusation is accurate and significant , the contradiction must be corrected within a week of notification or it will be struck from the list of canon sources.

CANON
LM: Creation
crazybookgal

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject:  

i don't get it.
Masterweaver

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject:  

Why not try writing a story for the LM?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:  

So if I have this right, the LM: Creation thread is a resource for us to use as a multi-author project? Or do we continue the thread where you left off? Or is this a series of independent but interlocking stories in the same universe?

It might help perhaps if you provided us with a short story to get us started. :)
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject:  

Number THREE, Crunchy. A series of stories and other materials that take place in the same universe. The format can be anything you want, Linear, SG, drawings of characters.

LM: Creation is a story about the creation of LM. That's it.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject:  

I haven't got a clue. I'd like to try this, but Is it stories linked together with different authors and artists, is it like an rp story based story, all based in the same story.... ?? :cool:

So I take it we should write about stories in the past about how galatic was created, so we have to help you write on this story. I'll try that!
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject:  

...Okay, you and I are on totally different wavelengths. Who is Galatic? And why would I want you to write about his past? I don't mind you making new characters--in fact, I encourage it--but it seems like you're referencing something in the Creation story that doesn't exist.

LM: Creation is about how this fictional world came to be. It's an epic fantasy setting... have none of you EVER ENCOUNTERED shared storyverses before?! Seriously?!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject:  

I'm still confused - I think it might help if you started off with a core short-story - something we could work with. :)
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject:  

...Okay, as the creation myth seemed to fly over your heads, I will start an LM storygame.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject:  

But that is what I meant, Murder in the intergalatic garden= Galatic....

It's like the own story of Terry Pratchette is what your trying to do Masterweaver. And might I say the Red Weaver bird is very beautiful, maybe you should try and see what one looks like, you'd be amazed at seeing them here in South Africa. Their a rare spiecies for me.
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:  

THIS IS NOT RELATED TO MURDER IN THE INTERGALACTIC GARDEN.

This is INSPIRED by murder in the intergalactic garden. There is a major difference....

Splitpin, please look over your posts before you post them. I can... sort of understand what you're trying to say, but there's an extreme lack of information. Yes, the LM is a fantasy storyverse, and it should span a scope similar to LotR and the other tales of middle earth. However, as a shared storyverse, everybody who contributes to it is helping write the story. Like, if you writ about how JACK COOLGUY FOUGHT THE VICIOUS BEAST and I write about THE WEDDING OF MARY PRETTY AND HOWARD CHARMING, Crunchy could come in and write a third story about THE BLADE THAT MARY FORGED FOR HOWARD AND HOW IT ENDED UP IN THE HANDS OF JACK COOLGUY. You see what I'm saying? Everybody contributes!

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:  

Now that is a good explination! I remember a Metaverse story, sooner or later the girl and guy started killing off each other's characters. I laughed my buttocks off! Go ahead MasterWeaver. I really like to see your first post. I'll jump in after into the action.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:  

This is a good idea, but the myth that began the thing was a bit hard to follow due to some lack of depth in explanations. It doesn't quite form the full paradigm I think we'd need to forge forward. Maybe starting now with something more story modern to set the present stage might be necessary.
kkdestiny

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject:  

This sounds cool, so I can just write a random sotry and it will somehow get weaved into a collaboration of other (maybe random stories) to make a coherent story? :P
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:  

All right, all right, I get it. I used an archaic and unusual format for the creation. I'm sorry, I was trying to sound grandiose.

And it's Masterweaver. The w is not capitalized.

Yes, kk, so long as the story does not contradict other stories, you can write a story. or even a storygame. Heck, make a film if you can! And the best part is you can set it at any point in the chronology of the series, so if one of your characters dies you can still write about his adventures before his death.

Splitpin, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. These are individual stories set in the same storyverse. SOME may be multi-authored, but most will be stand-alones that reference other stories. Oy... if IFians have not heard of this idea before, something's terribly wrong with the world...

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject:  

But I know now what your talking about, It's a metaverse story, people can kill each other's character's off, all the while the contradictions is that they'll get angry at each other for it. It's set in the same story, sometimes there is the odd person who tried to write rondom stuff about the galaxy, while the other writes about having tea in the morning, while the other tries and fight off aleins in outerspace, the other writes how she misses the general... or something... See based in the same story, but sooner or later, So I think a RL story should be a good start instead of fantasy and seeing it fall to randomness' doom.
crazybookgal

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject:  

*snickers* wow i dont think we even need to write a story, this conversation is entertaining enough. Seriously read the whole thing through-its hilarious!

but all jokes aside I think i get this storyverse thing (oh by the way masterweaver those comments about people not understanding is kind of rude-i mean some of us are new here)

anyway has anyone heard of Tamora Pierce? She set her first series in the kingdom of Tortall. then she had another series with different characters but it was still in tortall. Characters from the different series crossed paths. its pretty cool actually.

well im off to brainstorm-hope that helped ;)
Masterweaver

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject:  

Thank you, Crazybookgal! I know I sounded rude, and I apologize.... I just honestly don't see how people don't get this! It's how I started telling stories!

Okay... let's see if this description works. Imagine something like the Star Wars Expanded Universe... but without the central mythos of Star Wars. Lots of authors, lots of stories. And while we may disagree over some things, that does not mean we'll snipe each other's characters--actually, they're more public domain, anyway.

And Splitpin? I really like your creativity, but I still cannot understand half of what you're saying. You seem to be leaving out entire sentences...

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject:  

All I'm saying is that I understand you-- Masterweaver. I'll P.M you an example Metaverse, it's funny I tell you. And Masterweaver I don't think your rude. You keep your attitude to a minimum. I use to write like you too, people didn't understand my stories, because they had the trouble of translating it into clear normal english.
Shillelagh

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:  

I think the confusion here lies in the fact that Splitpin seems to be jumping to conclusions. One, that we only get to create a character, instead of whole sections of setting and numerous characters, and two, that we would grow petty and kill off each other's hard work. And perhaps something about how (s)he would rather have a realistic setting instead of a fantasy one.

If it's any consolation, I understood what you meant. I'd have to admit that a creation myth is probably not the best way to kick things off. If you create something with some characters and a large city for a setting, it'd give us more of a foundation than a list of pantheon gods we could use.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject:  

Exactly. :D I'm a girl, close to the year of age when I get that 21 key... :P That is what I meant, I'm glad you understand me.
Smee

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject:  

:lol:

Ok - so after all that it's just something similar we did here in the city some years ago where we had multiple authors writing different stories for an event called Battle to the End.

Although sadly it never finished, between us we created enough 'canon' for me to then use it for the Time Before storygame which was set in the same 'world' but many years earlier in history.

And then Shady Stoat added in a side storygame to The Time Before, again in the same world, but detailing parts only briefly mentioned in other stories. And so the world grew in depth and lore.

~

I think what the others requested, a simple story(game) set in this world Masterweaver would be easiest, along with some simple descriptions detailing things like the prevalence of magic, how long a day/night cycle is, basic level of technology in 'current' times, the general races that can be found, basic politics etc etc

Some of those topics could/would be expanded on by what others add, but it would atleast give everyone a starting point.

Happy Writing :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, Smee, and very similar to what we were trying in our Fantasy Guild effort to create a whole world, democratically, such that it might become just such a setting for these sorts of efforts. I wonder... do we have any records left regarding that effort? Might be interesting to pick up that ball again.

Storygames Home -> The Vault
Page 1 of 1