Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

The Quest to Ultimatism PROLOGUE!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warriorofdoom

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: The Quest to Ultimatism PROLOGUE!  

PROLOGUE!

"Yes. Its almost complete." I could hear myself whispering. All these years of hard-work, living in a dark, decrepit lab filled with toxic chemicals had almost paid off.

"Be careful, Mike" a female says behind me.

Yes. You can add 'working with lame-ass assistants' to the list. The last decade has been particularly trying for me. I have been making attempts at recreating the Halazar's formula. From then on, my life has been surrounded by explosions and getting away from toxic goo, but now, I could feel success. Rather, I could smell it.

I ignored Cassandra's warning. She was always overcautious at everything she did. But nothing could stop me now. The moment I have been waiting for, all my life. This is what the world has been waiting for. Soon, I'll get there. Soon....

The sulfurous smell was getting stronger. Master Halazar, I have proved myself. What is the secret?. Though my mind kept wandering off, I could almost always force it back into reality. I was getting closer to the secret.

"Dr.Mike, something's wrong!" Cassandra said. This time I had to turn around. The Power-Radar was showing up an energy abnormally high.

"No, wait It'll build up" I replied.

"Mike, its past 3 minutes. We're supposed to average out to 170 now." Turning back to the blue screen before continuing, she said "We've hit 700, Mike" in an exasperated tone.

I turned around to the main reaction 'chamber', which was nothing more than a large structure, designed to look like 4 claws just grew out of the ground. Between the claws, there was now a large green sphere. Too Bright My eyes scanned the surrounding for anything I could use to test the calmness. Picking up a pen, I hurl it as fast as I can towards the growing blob of green. The pen explodes into green. This was getting violent.

"Mike?!" Cass was getting more worried. Worried and concerned at the same time.

Putting on my protective shades, I walk closer, and immediately feel the pricking sensation. The sulfurous smell was strong. Too strong. Before, I could walk a few paces, the ball shot a thin line of green, which careened into the wall behind me.

A late reaction. Its throwing out the pen I make my way slowly across the lab, my hands reaching out to the control box. This is where I guess Cass saw me.

She gave me another 'Be careful'.

My sweaty palms hit the control box, just before a shot of green missed my head, almost setting fire to my long, blond hair.

Now, Instead of bring the voltage down, I pushed it further up. Combat the X Factor.

"MIKE" yelled Cass. She obviously was shocked at what I had just done, but I was way too close to success to give up now.

"Its under control" I yelled. As if in response to my lie, the fireball shot out another bullet, setting my Van Huesen shirt to fire. I tear the shirt off, and switch my focus at the growing ball.

SLAM! That was Cass slamming the door as she went out. I am alone now, with this monster.

The whole room illuminated in the green fury of the ball. A few super-computers crumpled into a heap on the ground, and started oozing out black liquid.

Under control I think, as I pull the voltage switch down to about 5000 mega-volts. There, I bought it down now. But the ball of fury didn't seem to shrink. It didn't seem to slow down as well. Instead, it started growing faster, with some new-found energy.

Now, I realize that its all over, and speed away to get my research bag, and as I bolt out of the room, my eye catches the Power-Radar. 1900 units. The building won't last any longer. I can at-least get a new lab. I run as hard as I can in the cemented road. The trees seemed larger than ever. In a few minutes, all that would be left of this place is rubble.

Suddenly, an ear-shattering explosion stuns me, and I am hurled forward. And Upward.

How high I was thrown, I don't know, but it was very high. Cars appeared as tiny dots to my eye. I am going to die.

I watch myself get hurled over a couple of buildings. I spotted a building, which I supposed would mark the end of my life. I would crash into it, and crack my skull, and drop more than 500 ft to a horrible death. Surprisingly, momentum took me over the building, and a few minutes later, I fell splosh into the ocean. At-least I'm still alive.

I was to tired to even try and stay afloat. I was too tired even to keep my eyes open. Every part of my body felt like it was on fire. Before I shut my eyes, I spotted a ship, coming my way.

My last thoughts : I lost..... again.
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject:  

I liked this. Reminded me of ol' Doc Oc in Spidey II. (but on a side note... such a 'splash' into the ocean from that sort of height would still likely be more of a splat... unless of course he's developed some sort of superhuman ability in the process.)

Looking forward to more.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject:  

Good stuff. This looks like it could become an interesting SG.

But... what did you mean at...

""Dr.Mike, something's wrong!" Cassandra said. This time I had to turn around. The Power-Radar was showing up an energy abnormally high.

"No, wait It'll build up" I replied. "

That?! It looks like we're saying that the energy will build up, which sounds like a bad thing, because towards the end, the energy did build up, and we almost died.

Still looking forward!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject:  

At last I have got around to this one! An exciting prologue that has me wondering what you have in store for us.

Looking forward to seeing more. :D
warriorofdoom

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject:  

My second SG. I don't know if its advisable to write two at once, but hell, I'll go with it.

And I'm glad that you also like this. This is one of the first ideas I had as a writer(got it after watching spidey 2 :blush: )

Yes, of course it'll remind you of Doc oc!! But don't worry, its a different story altogether. Completely different!
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject:  

No worries ;)
warriorofdoom

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject:  

Just a note: Since we have the Dark sections open, I would like this to be moved there, since there will be adult themes in the story. That was 1 reason I ignored this, but now that we have a system in place...
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject:  

That was a really good prologue. Im seriously waiting for your first chapter, though I wont be able to read it if its moved to the dark end :/

Anyway, there were a few places where the tense keeps changing. Try to put it all down in one tense. Makes it easier for us to read...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: I think......  

This was a fun little exciteing read as I went, I really felt the heat on this one!

Oh! I shuffled this over to Dark Sci-Fi for you!

Hope to be seeing a chapter soon!
warriorofdoom

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject:  

Thank you Pope!

Now I need to find where I saved the plot... Chapter should be up in I-Really-Don't-Know days. ;)

Storygames Home -> The Vault
Page 1 of 1