Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Taste of their own medicine
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebrenth

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Taste of their own medicine  

I don't know if anyone will understand why this is ironic, but I thought I would post it anyway:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-11-11-marvel-sues-over-avatars_x.htm

Years ago, City of Heroes claimed that the City of IF logo was too similar to theirs. They threatened to sue if the logo wasn't changed. We almost ended up with a very sad looking logo instead, but the problem kind of just went away. Perhaps they took a look in the mirror and decided to drop the subject.
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:  

lol... I'm not sure how I fall on that issue, if I think Marvel should win that case or not... the one thing I would say in favor of CoH would be that they don't seem to use those character designs for their cover ads. Also... Marvel's coming at this now because DC is entering into direct competition with CoH with a branded style version of a game much like it where players online can interract with their characters etc... obviously now Marvel wants to get into the game and is worried CoH may have hindered their ability to do so. Shoulda brought it up a long time ago if they had any issues with it. Plus, I don't think Marvel should worry about the lawsuit... just make a better game ;)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject:  

I remember being told about the COH/COIF thing... they are remarkably similar logos. So yeah, the irony is not lost on me!

:D
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Heh  

That's funny. Way to funny.....If CoH is successfuly sued, I can't wait to see what happens to Gaia Online. The hair selection itself could land them in the gutter. And I can't wait to see how they explain one of that characters on Guild Wars doing the dance from Thriller. It a game guys, give it a rest. It's not like CoH is selling more just cause you can customze yer character into two comicbook superheroes. Yer not losing money over it.....
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject:  

An idle click on that link again this morning, and I noticed that this happened in November 2004... So.... did both happen at the same time? :?

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
Page 1 of 1