Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

The Shadow Bounty
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: The Shadow Bounty  

NOTE: Hey, hey, I changed the title cause I changed the story a bit, that and I didn't think it was all that appealing. Originally the title was a hint on the story itself, well still sorta is XD. Well anywho, onto the story.

(Warning: Content may include swearing, stabbing, 1 whore (just cause I was bored), and a couple of other things that aren’t that bad. ENJOY =D)

One extremely short chapter, but this is the thing I've been paying attention to lately. I assure you that the 2nd chapter is much longer. XD

Adrian looked over the mangled body of his victim. He had searched for this man all over New Jersey and at the end of the day, he had killed him. Not that he had not enjoyed it, but the mission required for him to be alive. His victim, Timothy Smith, was wanted by a man named George Wellington. Turns out our little friend Timothy stole all the money both of them stole from a bank robbery a few months back. George wasn't too happy about that, so he put a bounty on his head. Sure sounded easy enough, but Adrian was used to hunting down and killing his prey. Only difference this time round was the employee wanted the victim alive not dead.

“Well so much for capture alive,” Adrian smirked, “Heh, well in my opinion he seems better this way. Wonder how dear Mr. Wellington will take the news?” Adrian said to himself cheerfully.

“Not well. If he wanted him alive there was a reason behind it.” A man in the shadows said. Adrian had thought that he was the only one here, but it seemed his dear old mentor followed him.

“Norton? What are you doing here?” Adrian replied half annoyed.

Norton just stood there and shrugged his head over to the half intact corpse lying in the middle of the room.

“Heh. Well he had it coming. It’s not like I didn't try to keep him alive. He just didn't want to listen.”

“Right, of course. I wonder how long it took you before you decided to kill him.”

“The killing was accidental. I went to grab him. Gently, and I just happened to accidentally break his neck.” Adrian replied, trying to control his amusement at the situation.

“And what of the other injuries? I hardly think his missing leg just happened to come off.” Norton replied pointing at the leg lying across the corner of the room, about 5 feet away from the body.

“That... I have no idea how that happened.”

“Of course...”

“Well, we should bring the body back to Wellington. He did want him back.”

Norton shook his head and grabbed a bag in which to place the body. There would be a long clean up ahead of them.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject:  

interesting... Go ahead I want to see what white roses got to do with this :D
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Ummm.....  

ADRIAN RULES! "Oh, um, the severed leg? No idea...." That's classic! Ayway, on to more serious matters. Read this line a few times and see what you think of it....

He had chased this man all over New Jersey and in the end he ended up dead, instead of alive.

I think there could be a definate improvement here...
I'm liking this so far. As I said, Adrian ruls, I wish to see much more of him! Try and work on sentance fluidity and this could be EPIC!
Midnight

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm, thanks Pope. I have to make a habit of reading through it again after I finish editing. XD. But that sentence should be right now.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Heheheh  

Muuuch better. Much more.....sinister. I like it! *Spins* Can't wait to see what happens next!
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject:  

Indeed... lovely beginning, captivating, short and sweet. I likey and want more!
Midnight

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject:  

Chapter 2: The Messy Part.

Norten and Adrian stared at the mangled body inside the bag. There was just something about looking at a mangled corpse in a bag that was unsettling. Nevertheless, they stared at it. Timothy's body didn't fit very well in the bag so they had to adjust a few of his bones. The way he looked inside did not look pretty.

“God. Just close the fucking bag. It’s freakin' creepy looking at him, especially because he still has his eyes open. Its making my skin crawl.” Adrian said, though he was a tad (and I under exaggerate) sadistic, he had his limits.

“Really, it’s creepy? I hadn't noticed.” Norton replied with a sarcastic tone.

“Look, whatever, just close the damn bag. Wellington can deal with that shit later. I'll finish cleaning up the blood.”

“Don't forget his leg.” Norten joked.

Rolling his eyes, Adrian pulled out a syringe from his bag and jabbed his right arm. Adrian had a fatal heart disease and if not tended to every 12 hours, it would kill him on the spot no questions asked, and since everything these days pretty much get fixed by stabbing yourself with some sort of drug, Adrian thought why the hell not!

After taking his medicine Adrian looked around to see what damage he had done. Observing the state of the room, there wasn't all that much blood (normally there would be buckets full all over the walls) The only real damage was the blood from the leg, which was still in the corner of the room, it wouldn't fit in the bag so Norten and Adrian decided to deal with it separately.

Adrian picked up the leg and threw it out the window, then got a bucket to clean the blood splatters on the wall and on the floor. Norton returned a few minutes after Adrian had finished cleaning.

“Well, all done. Now, let’s get that body back to Mr. Wellington.” Adrian said, sounding so casual, as if speaking about corpses was something that people did everyday.

“Yea... By the way. About the body?” Norten replied scratching his chin.

“Yes. What about it? Did you accidentally open the bag and see his face? Told you it was creepy.”

“No. You see, I was putting it inside the boot of my car...,” Norton said, rubbing his head and pacing the room. “When all of a sudden... this FUCKING LEG FELL FROM THE SKY AND HIT ME ON THE HEAD... Now, would you know anything about this?” He said as he glared at Adrian, arms crossed.

“No idea,” Adrian replied, controlling his laughter. “Well let’s get going then shall we?”

“Yes. Let’s,” Norton replied, annoyed. “And can you please not throw body parts out windows so god damn casually, deal with it discreetly. Jesus.”

“That was discreetly.” Adrian stated, rolling his eyes.

Adrian and Norten made their way out of the building. Security guards had already left and everything in sight was shut down. Adrian hadn't even noticed how eerie the place was when he had arrived, but then again he didn't exactly have time to take a tour.

“So, where exactly did you enter?” Norten asked. He was always creating chit chat, even when the time needed silence.

“A window. Don't you already know this? After all, you did stalk me.” Adrian replied, looking at Norten from the corner of his eye.

“Yes, but I didn't actually get here until you had killed him. I have other things to do. Besides that, why didn't you just enter through the loading bay? You know this place has the shittiest security around.” Norten said, curiosity in his voice.

“Why would I do it that way, I wouldn't have fun at all... Things were much more interesting entering through a window.” Adrian replied, His eyes glistening with sadism.

“Fun... You mean with the guards?”

“Of course, I do like screwing with people’s minds... Especially pathetic humans.” His voice was cold and bitter, his tone, no more playful.

“... I see... You do know, of course, that you are human?”

“Of course, but I do my job properly. Not halfheartedly.” Adrian replied, his voice playful once again.

“So... you didn't kill them, just screwed with their minds? That’s a nice changed.”

Adrian only replied with a short chuckle followed with a smirk, then made his way out of the loading bay.

The outside was cold. It had not stopped snowing since Adrian had awoke this morning. Everything in sight was covered in a glistening white blanket. With this view, the city looked calm and peaceful, when truthfully the city was anything but.

Everything had turned to the worst ever since 2089. A huge outbreak happened at the science labs and a vial of biochemical estrogen broke out. Everyone that was in the building had started to obtain some sort of superhuman ability, and soon, it spread to the streets, sold to those you wished for power.

At the time, the drug was considered illegal, and anyone affected by its power was to be killed on sight. But as time passed, the military reconsidered, saying this could be the exact thing needed to help boost their defenses. The government agreed, so instead of destroying the drug, they decided that only people with special permits from the government could hold the biochemical estrogen, now known as E.C.H.O, or they would suffer the consequence. But not everyone obeys the law, now do they?

Adrian brushed off the snow that had fallen onto his jacket and entered Nortens car. The car was as frosty as it was outside. Unfortunately the heater wouldn't help in this case, as Norten didn't have one. His car was a junk pile, rust had taken over the entire outside and it was making its way through to the inside.

Norten turned the ignition on, and started to make his way out of the alley.

“Christ, I'm surprised this thing runs. I was half expecting it to break down once you turned it on.” Adrian remarked, truly shocked.

“Yes, well, she still has it.” Norten replied, stroking the dashboard.

“No wonder Holly dumped you. If you would prefer to touch your junk box over her, then you have serious problems.”

“She did not dump me; we decided it would be for the best if we weren't connected.” Norten corrected.

“Uh, you’re connected regardless. Your brother lives with her. That and even if he didn't you would still have that connection.”

“Firstly, Aerrow does not share our fathers name, so no one can point him out as being a relative to me. Secondly, no one will disturb Holly if I'm not there, connection or no connection.” Norten replied, and Adrian could tell by his tone that there was to be no more talk on the matter.

Outside the snow had begun to fall heavier and faster. Lights could barely be seen, and from what could be made out by the reflection on a nearby window, the car looked as if it was floating on white clouds. The streets were empty and stores were closed, judging by the weather no-one would be out at this time. No-one but those with certain business anyway.

The car stopped at the traffic lights and as Adrian continued to look out the window he saw a woman closing a nearby shop. As she walked down the street Adrian noticed that she was being followed by a tall dark figure. Adrian just watched with a blank stare as the woman ran into an alley way once she had realized she was being followed. Then the car kept moving, floating on the clouds.

“You could've helped her.” Norten said, breaking the silence.

“Help who?” Adrian asked, sort of in a trance.

“The woman at the lights.”

“It was her own fault; she shouldn't have run into the alley. By doing that, she had told the man that she wanted to get hurt.” Adrian replied coldly as he stared out the window.

“She was scared; she didn't have time to think. You really shouldn't think of others that way.”

There was an eerie silence before Adrian spoke. His voice was harsh and full of hate.

“Why should I save filth that would gladly sacrifice someone else's life, to save their own?” There was a pause, and Adrian's facial expression changed from dark to cheery again, “Besides, you knew she was there too. Why didn't you go out and save her?”

“I was driving.” Norten remarked.

“So that’s an ex-.” Adrian was cut off by Norten; clearly he did not want to pursue the matter.

“We’re here. Hopefully Mr. Wellington doesn't think too badly of your job.” Norten joked.

“Hey, you broke his legs, sorry… leg.”

“He wouldn't fit in the bag, and don't say you didn't find it amusing 'Mr. He's freaking me out'.”

Adrian shook his head smiling while coming out of the car. He opened the boot, pulled the bag out and threw it over his shoulder. It was slightly heavy, and he could feel I few of the bones that had been broken digging into his back.

“I'll see you tomorrow then.” Norten replied from the driver’s seat, waving one hand as he drove off.

“Never wait for a reply do you.” Adrian said to himself, and then made his way to the door.

The snow was knee deep and Adrian wondered if Norten should be driving at all, especially considering the state of his car.

“Name?” A tall, bulky man said. His muscles rippling out of his shirt.

“The Shadow Bounty.” Adrian replied, glaring at the man, who had jumped slightly from the name he had just given.

“O-On your way in then sir.” The man replied, and opened the door, his hand trembled slightly.

Adrian said nothing and proceeded inside. Hopefully Mr. Wellington won't mind the state of the body too much.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: I Think......  

Neato! I'm loving Adrian more and more! The funny thing about not helping to woman, is the fact that Adrian's reactions wasn't cold. It was normal. It's normal human instict to not get involved. Must mean all 'Heroes' are un-natural, ne? I like the comtradictory imagry when it cam to the driving. A dead body in the car, a murderer inside, a decrepid rust bucket of a car...and the pure white of the falling snow all around. I have many times found myself watching people on the street, or in their cars/homes, and wondered what they're like. What are they doing? Why are they doing it? What in their life have they done to reach this point?

Human beings have made it normal to not care about such things. The people who are given the most honors in life (Save for the troops) are those who focus on themselves. So, watching that car go down the street, I can understand Adrian in that, he is simply a product of what society has set as the norm....save for the killing thing, that's way out there :P

I hope to see more from you. Keep up the good work!
UndeadCowboy

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject:  

Okay, time to review! I like Adrian and Norten's banter, seems like they've known each other for a while. I also like the contrast in Adrian between his carefree attitude and seriously twisted profession.

Keep up the good work, because I want to see where the story goes!
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:  

I sat here and thought for a while on what to say but still only have:

I'm enjoying it! keep up the great writing :)
Midnight

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject:  

Okay. First I'd like to thank everyone who commented on the story, much appreciated. I hope you guys will continue to comment on further chapters. In this chapter I will be introducing a new character and minor characters in her life. I hope you guys will enjoy it. :D

Chapter 3: Valkyria.

The snow fell heavy as a woman in an alley way tormented her prey, her blade shining from the moonlight as she stood over him. The dark shadows created a separate world in which she was God, and as God, there was only one way out for her prey. Death.

“PLEASE, NO, PLEASE! I BEG YOU! STOP!” The tall man begged for his life.

‘Twas his own fault this came to be. He did not pay, and so he was sentenced to death. I am not one to ask my employees why they wish this, I simply do it. After all, I get paid in the end and at the end of the day that is all that matters. The woman thought.

She smirked; she enjoyed tormenting her prey before she did the deed. Something about watching them suffer entertained her so. No one would expect it, but most of the time she was seen as a kind and soft person. But then again people really shouldn’t believe whats in front of their eyes.

“Stop you say? Whatever for? ‘Tis painful for you, not I. So why stop?” She replied, a sadistic smile spread from ear to ear.

“I, I… please, I have a family. I, I,” The man was trembling in his little corner. He never thought it would have turned out like this.

“YOU? Have a family? Why, I find this interesting. If you have a wife, why come to me? Does she not pleasure you enough? ‘Twas your own fault for following me into this alleyway. You did not really think I was helpless now, did you?

“I’M SORRY! I, I, I didn’t think-“ The man begged.

“That is correct, you didn’t think,” She looked around, the snow was getting heavier and she had an appointment to keep. This man had to die and his groveling was getting on her nerves. “I am bored. I’ve had enough of playing with you. It is all too bad really. I had not planned on killing you ‘til tomorrow, but whoever knew that you would come to me. I must consider myself lucky. Now then, I suppose I shall get on with it. Farewell, and may the Maiden guide you to your peace.”

As she finished reciting the words of death to the man, she plunged the dagger into his chest. Blood seeped through his shirt and stained the white to scarlet. His eyes stared into hers, and she could see her reflection in them. Her jet black hair stood out against her pale skin, green eyes gleaming with pleasure. It did not take long until the man finally closed his eyes.

She retracted her dagger from his chest and wiped the blood off with a handkerchief. She stared at the dagger a short moment then slowly placed it back to its sheath. It would be awhile until Meredith would feed again, as she was told that this would be her last mission for some time.

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

The woman dusted snow off her jacket before entering the inn. This was her home and work, well, her cover to be more precise. The light shining from the inside was warm and inviting, unlike the cold that, regardless of its beautiful appearance, was hateful and vicious. Icicles hung from the window, and as she grabbed the freezing handle she could not await the warm wind that would run through her as she entered.

“Ah Rose, finally. I’ve been waiting for you all night. Did you close up the shop alright?” said Marcus, a big man. Nothing else to say really. He was Rose’s boss and father, in a sense. Ever since she had run away from home, he had looked after her. He did not know much of her past, except for the fact that she had ran, and she never had told him of her other job.

“Yes, I closed it up fine,” She replied happily and with a smile plastered on her face, “Though I did get stalked about two seconds after closing the shop. I dealt with him though.”

She smirked as she remembered the night’s events. Oh how she had enjoyed drawing blood from him, but she had to keep her composure.

“You’re just filled with humor. Oh, before I forget, Mack is waiting upstairs for ya, god knows what he wants. But he said that when you arrived to tell ya right away to meet him.”

“Mack, upstairs. Got it,” She replied. She knew exactly what he wanted. He had been ever so persistent ever since she worked here. Idiot, she thought.

Rose made her way upstairs, taking a peek in the guest rooms on her way. She had always found it interesting that people with business tend to leave the door partially open, inviting those that should not be invited. But today she found nothing of interest. Once on the third floor, instead of going straight to Mack’s room, she went to hers.

She opened the door, and made her way to the chest that lay in the right hand corner of the room, below the window. Her room was simple enough, she never did get why people took so much effort in decorating a room. The bed was to the left and a wardrobe to the right of it. Across from the bed was a table which she had never used. The chest was the only thing in the room that was hers and she kept all of her files and weapons in them, of course to anyone else, the chest was never there.

Meredith was wrapped in a red velvet cloth then carefully placed into a wooden box that had golden trimmed edges. It was quite sad; Meredith would not see the light of the moon for quite some time. Well, until Rose had gotten another job and who knew how long that would take.

“Hmm, I should see the Maidens later tonight for a confirmation on how long my vacation will actually be. I do not want to be out of a job for too long,” Rose said to herself. She liked the idea of having a few days off, but her job as a barmaid did not exactly pay fitting cash.

Before leaving the room she glanced back to make sure everything was in order. Content with everything she closed then locked the door behind her. It was time to see what Mack wanted. Mack’s room, coincidentally, was across from hers. She needed not to even knock as Mack had the door open when she turned around.

“So? Rose. Can I talk with you a moment?” Mack asked, a smile slowly appearing on his face.

“Sure, but it has to be quick I’m leaving soon.”

“Again? Where to?” Mack asked, though Rose could tell by his tone, he wasn’t really interested.

“I just have to check something. Don’t worry I’ll be going with Violet. So, shall we?” Rose lied of course.

Mack nodded then entered the room. Rose rolled her eyes, she despised him so and knew exactly what he wanted, she had hoped that one of her missions would be to kill him, but alas nothing. One time she considered sending in her own mark just so he could be dead. But she had scrapped that idea.

Rose made her way toward his bed then sat down. She remembered how dull she found his room to be. Like her, Mack wasn’t big on decorations. The only thing close to it was posters of his favorite bands, which were very much like his room and himself, dull.

“Well, in the end, the room suits the owner,” Rose mumbled to herself. Mack didn’t seem to notice, he was in his own little world. He was still standing at the door, and looked as if he was contemplating what to do next.

“So… what’s up Mack?” Rose asked, breaking the silence.

Mack jumped slightly, as if coming out of a trance, “Oh, um. I was just wondering… I was wondering… So, I was thinking-”

Rose cut him off. If she hadn’t, the same sentence would be said over and over again. Well, rephrased differently, if that even makes a difference.

“Mack, what is it? I really need to go,” She said, starting to get up.

“I’m sorry, I’ll start again,” Mack stuttered. Oh god! GET TO THE POINT! Rose thought to herself. She was normally patient, but Mack was something else. “I wanted to know, where we were going. As in, us.”

There was an us? Holy shit, where have I been? I didn’t know I was dating a complete failure of a man. Rose thought, oh and how tempted she was to say it to him, but she had to keep up appearances.

“Us? Mack, you have to understand, there isn’t an us, and I’m sorry to say… There never will be. I’m sorry,” Rose replied, sounding as sympathetic as she could without laughing. She felt like an idiot even saying it to him.

Mack stood in stunned silence.

“Mack? I-” Rose began.

“No, you don’t have to say anything. It’s my fault. I’m sorry for even putting you in this situation. I should of known,” Mack replied, but didn’t make eye-contact; he was staring at the ground.

Rose got up and made her way towards the door. She was glad it was over, maybe at least this time she would be able to carry on in this life without hassles. Before leaving she turned to Mack, who was still motionless. She said sorry for the last time, faking a few tears as she did.

The door closed shut on Mack, and she was alone in the hallway. Rose looked at the time, 11:37pm, she was late.
UndeadCowboy

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject:  

Hah! Rose is so cold it's frightening. I wouldn't want to annoy her.

Anyway, just keep writing good stories, and I will keep editing them. :D
Midnight

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject:  

I'll be posting the fourth chapter next week, so if anyone wants to post some last minute comments or reviews, please go on ahead. :D
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: I Think......  

*Dances* Yay! You know how I like evil characters! You did this just fer me, didn't you? *Giggle* kidding.

Well, I'm likeing Rose(Obviously) but I think you may wanna go back and do a quick grammar and sentance flow check. The scence in the alley had a few 'erk' points. Also, the POV seems a little shifty to me. May just be the fluidity issue, but perhaps a quick check through would be good.

Luvin' it, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next! *Kill* *Kill* *Kill* :P
Midnight

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject:  

Sorry Pope, I was really lazy when it came to reading over this chapter. I admit I slacked off, I was dealing with some incompete--- I mean, very responsible and organized Uni staff. I've read over it and made a few changes to it, but I'll be sure to read over it again later.

I promise not to slack off on further chapters :tung:
Midnight

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject:  

Chapter 4: Meet Mr. Wellington.

Adrian entered the Bar. Mr. Wellington was a business man and occasionally he was the local bank robber. He obviously didn’t make his money from the Bar and he didn’t have many businesses, despite being known as a business man. Funny that.

“Need some help honey?” Said a local whore dressed in… well, nothing really, just glitter covering parts of her body.

Here I was thinking things would be civilized. Well, can’t say much for Mr. Wellingtons taste. Sure naked chicks are fine… but. Some things are just not right. Adrian thought to himself, as he eyed the woman.

“Uh, yea. Mr. Wellington? Where can I find him in this tragedy?” He replied, the last bit as a joke, but she didn’t seem to catch on. With a sneer the whore pointed to the far end of the Bar at a set of stairs leading to the Private Room. She then pushed him aside and moved on to the man behind him.

“How quaint a Private Room. I wonder how bad it is in there compared to here. One can only hope it’s not as bad… or worse.” Adrian said to himself.

As he started making his way over to the private room and navigating through the crazed, yelling crowd, he began to wonder why no one had even asked about or stared at the bag he was carrying.

Either too drunk or stoned to care I suppose, he thought to himself.

Arriving at the stairs, he practically had to climb over a couple who were kissing so furiously that you wouldn’t know where one started and the other ended. Regardless, Adrian’s struggle to get past them with the bag over his shoulder did not manage to interrupt their little alone time even after almost falling onto them.

Like there’s not a PRIVATE ROOM available around here. Adrian thought, keeping himself from punching the lights out of them to make way.

Finally making it past The Couple he made his way up the stairs towards another big burly man standing next to a door.

“Name?” The man asked.

Sigh… “The Shadow Bounty.” Adrian replied, rolling his eyes in frustration. Considering his reputation he thought that people would know what he looked or at least think know what he looked like. He didn’t mind saying his title, but from dealing with Norten, the whore and the couple downstairs he was really starting to lose his temper.

Shock, gasp, shudder, reply, and open. He thought, predicting the man’s reaction. And just as he predicted, the man gasped in shock, shuddered while replying and opened the door to let him in.

Sigh…

As Adrian entered the room, it was pretty much what he had expected it to be. Red carpet, red wallpaper, red sofas, red lamps, red lights, red posters and anything else you could think of that would be in a private room… was red. Hell even Wellingtons suit was red, even his hair.

The man truly loves red. Adrian thought as he placed the body bag onto the table.

“And there is your man Mr. Wellington.” Adrian said, smiling and slightly squinting from all the red.

Wellington raised his head and looked onto the table, tipped his glasses down and glared at Adrian.

“I thought I made it clear that he be alive Mr. Rogue.” Wellington replied, a cold touched tone to his voice.

“Yes, well you see Mr. Wellington. Things got out of hand, and accidents happen. Believe me when I say I tried my hardest to keep him alive.”

Wellington brushed a hand through his red hair and glared at Adrian.

“Do you know why I hired you? I hired you because you are a very well respected Bounty Hunter, crossing the line into Assassin, around all of New Jersey. So… you should not have any problems in delivering what a customer wants. Correct?” He replied, his tone all business with a hint of mocking.

“Correct.”

“Then why is this ma-“Adrian cut him off. His voice was calm, steady and filled with malice.

“Excuse me, but I was not finished. Mr. Wellington. As a business man you should know never to interrupt those you are dealing business with. Correct?”

Wellington twitched his hand slightly but then regained his composer. He leaned back onto the sofa and relaxed his muscles.

“Correct.” He replied with a slight sneer.

“That’s good. Now, as I was saying. It is true that I have no trouble in delivering what a customer desires. But since you know so much about me and my reputation, you should also know what my exact reputation is. Correct?”

“Correct.”

“And what is my exact reputation my dear Mr. Wellington?”

Wellington sank deeper into the sofa and waved his hand to the waitress.

“Wine, if you please. Any kind will do.” He said, and with that the waitress nodded, went to the bar and returned with a bottle of Moselle.

“Please make yourself comfortable, it’s not as if I have other duties this evening.” Adrian replied, annoyed at Wellingtons reaction.

Happy that he had annoyed him Wellington smirked and poured a glass of wine for himself.

“Yes, well. I was feeling a tad famished. Now back to business. I believe your exact reputation is, killing without thinking. Killing whenever you feel like it. Killing quite skillfully. Is that it?” Wellington said mockingly.

Adrian’s right eye twitched, this man was truly testing his patience.

“I would warn you not to mock my title. You of all people should know not to deal with Satan or even close to him.”

“You consider yourself Satan? Is that it? Please Mr. Rogue, you are in my Hell. I rule here. You would not escape this place alive no matter how skilled you are. One snap of my fingers and you would be dead on the spot. Now I am sick of your games. Tell me why this man is not alive. As I ordered.” Wellington replied, half yelling.

“SIMPLE… Wellington. I have a reputation of hunting ruthlessly and I did as I pleased. I was bored. This man made me chase him throughout town and as much as I love chasing my prey down, this man did not provide me with a good hunt. So I killed him.” Adrian said filled with frustration.

“I see. Do you care not for your client’s happiness?”

“Well I do. But this job did not really pay me enough for me to care. So, are you going to continue whining or are you going to fucking pay me now? As you can see pleasantries have gone out the window already so we really should just get this thing under way.” Adrian replied. This man was too much of a parasite to deal with; killing him wouldn’t even be worth it.

“Well, he isn’t going to be a bother anymore, so I will pay half. Here, take it and leave. Before I decide to kill you.”

Adrian grabbed the money off the table, shot the rude finger at Wellington and made his way towards the exit. But before leaving the room, he turned around and gave Wellington a final message.

“By the way, this is not your hell and this is not where you rule. You lost that right the second I came in here. This is my hell now… Oh, and don’t forget to check your balls after I close the door.” With that Adrian opened and closed the door behind him. Screams of pain followed as he walked down the stairs.

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Rose walked into the crowded bar, she had an appointment with the Maidens at midnight but a man named Mr. Wellington had wanted her to be here tonight. He did not specify what he had wanted from her, only that he had a job that would pay her well. But because of the situation with Mack she was half an hour late.

She hoped Wellington didn’t mind her absence too much and would still pay her what he had said. After all, the Head Maidens knew nothing of this request and all Maidens knew that all requests had to go past them before accepting.

She ignored the whore that had tried to catch her attention and stayed focus on making her way past the drunken and stoned crowd. Before long she bumped into a guy so preoccupied with laughing that he had almost taken her out with just a single bump to the shoulder.

“Watch where you’re walking freak.” She yelled at the man, who was still preoccupied with himself that it took him a second to realize she had talked to him.

“Hmm. Oh, yes. Sorry.” The man replied, smiling and still quite amused at something. Though she couldn’t understand what.

“And what is so funny?”

“Oh. I’m just having such a BALL.” He replied then burst out into laughter.

She walked off without replying to the man, clearly he had lost his mind and she did not want to deal with him any further. She continued her way towards the Private Room at the back of the Bar.

A Private Room, how quant, could this Wellington be any more cliché. She thought.

“You wouldn’t be heading to Wellingtons by any chance. Would you girlie?” A man from behind her asked. Judging by the chuckles that followed after, it was the same man that had bumped into her.

“What’s it to you?” She replied coldly.

“Oh nothing, but since you’re heading off there can you give him a final message from me?”

“What?”

“BALLS AHOY!” The man replied, and walked off laughing so loud it had almost out done the music.

“Idiot.” She replied to herself.

Such a handsome guy, such a shame he’s a nutter. She thought. Come to think of it, she had found the guy rather familiar, but couldn’t remember where she had seen him before.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject:  

hmm... this is getting quite interesting. I'm enjoying it so far and loving where it seems to be heading.
Midnight

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject:  

Hey guys, this one is a fairly short chapter but I hope you guess enjoy it nonetheless.

Chapter 5: A Rose has Thorns

After Rose made it through the crowd, she made her way up the stairs to Wellington’s ‘Private Room’. As she got closer and closer, she could faintly hear a man screaming from the inside. She quickened her step and made her way inside the room, pushing the body guard aside. The first thing she saw as she stepped into the room was blood and Wellington holding his crotch.

Balls Ahoy! I see, that man must have been the client I was supposed to watch while he and Wellington conversed. Well, this is going to be interesting, Rose thought to herself as she made her way to Wellington trying to assess the damage, though she couldn’t see much from his squirming. The couch he sat on was soaked in blood, not to mention his legs were too and with all the people gathering around him the scene could easily have been mistaken as birth gone wrong.

“Y- YOU BITCH!” Wellington screamed furiously at Rose as he met her gaze, “YOU’RE LATE, WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU?”

“Oh, I was… in traffic. Traffic these days, it’s such a bitch.” Rose replied, waving her hand dismissively at him.

“TRAFFIC!? DON’T YOU DARE PLAY WITH ME!”

“Darling, please. If I wanted to play, I would not be over here, believe me,’ Rose replied seductively.

She could tell that it was a bad joke, especially with his circumstances. But then, she was trying to cheer him up. His eyes looked as if they were going to explode in their sockets.

“KILL HER! NOW!” Wellington ordered.

“Serious?” She replied, a smile slowly developing, “This should be fun”

Not a second had passed before the two burly men walking towards her collapsed on the floor, throats slit, blood oozing onto the floor. Rose stood over them with a butter knife in her right hand.

“Want to know how I did that?” She grinned at Wellington, licking the blade.

Everyone in the room had stopped fussing over Wellington and had backed away into a corner, all staring at Rose.Wellington did not reply nor move as he looked at her with shocked eyes. He no longer felt the pain in his pants, but was trembling as he looked at the fragile girl standing over his two men. To him, she was nothing more than a delicate girl, who looked as if she could do no harm. Thinking he could kill her, knowing who she was, was a ridiculous move on his part.

For a moment time stopped as they looked at each other, her smiling and him wavering. Wellington finally got his wits about him and spoke.

“N-no, please. Sit.” He said, “Slow and steady.”

Rose, about to take the kind gentlemen up on his offer, stopped when she saw the dove fly past the small window. She knew what it meant. The Maidens wanted an audience, no doubt they had found out about this job and wanted to discuss it with her.

“Would love to, but I have other affairs tonight. Be seeing you… maybe not” She replied, placing the butter knife down onto the counter, making sure the ‘not’ was well implied as ‘never contact me again.’

“Y-your money. Here, you can have it.”

Rose simply ignored him and continued her way out, she knew better than to take the money, she knew she was in far too much trouble for that. Shit, I was too careless, she thought as she started to gain speed through the ruffled crowd. Well, at least Wellington learned a lesson today. More than one, perhaps. She smiled, but not for long. As she stepped out into the cold, there she saw the black sedan… waiting.

It’s always a black sedan isn’t it? Like there isn’t anything else. She thought rolling her eyes as she made her way towards the car.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject:  

And the plot thickens... I'm intrigued to see what the maidens have to say.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject:  

I'm sorry, but what maidens? part of her group? So she's an assasin on zero payroll... how does she live, they give her free stuff... :P

So your chapters are great, just wondering, will she have to kill adrain one day? dun dun dun... :)

Too bad this is linear... would have loved playing the game.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Kukuku  

Yay, much fun and the hacking of nutsacks. :P Blood is always fun. I don't know about that guy, but I'd love to know how she did that. kukukukuku. Perhaps she can tell us some time...

Keep it up!
Midnight

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject:  

Okay, I'll have the next post up by the end if this week. But first to answer some Q's.

@Split. Rose is with a females only assassin group. She does get paid, but she is only aloud to take payment from the jobs that go through the head maidens. The fact the she took the job Wellington had given her meant she was breaking a rule. But yeah, they next chapter should answer any more questions you may have about the Maidens. As for killing Adrian, just have to wait and see. =P

@Pope. Maybe I should mention in a future chapter how she kills people with a butter knife. XD
Midnight

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject:  

Hello everyone, this is chapter 6 of The Shadow Bounty, hope you guys enjoy and don't get confused by a certain 'Compound' description. XD.

Chapter 6: The White Maidens

Rose entered The Maidens enclave, it looked exactly the same as 10 years ago when she had last been here, white, white and more white. At her first arrival, she did not think too much of it, but after seeing it for as long as she had, she was really starting to consider giving the Head Maidens a few tips on different colour schemes. Not that it would go down well. White was the symbol of the Maidens, hell they were called The White Maidens, white robes, white rooms, white hideout, white silks tied onto their weapons… hell the only thing that wasn’t white was the sedan.

A black sedan, Rose thought to herself. Funny, I can’t picture that car in any other colour than black; I wonder if they even make different coloured sedans… I really have to look into that.

She made her way through the long narrow hallway before entering the Central Chamber, it resembled a hollow cave but was at least 10 – 20 times the average size of one, and it had four different paths including the one she had just walked from. They joined to form a cross in the center of the cavern. Originally she was told that when the Maidens were newly formed, the path to the right consisted of rooms and to the left the armory. But because of the growing numbers, the Enclave has been extended. As she walked, Rose glanced at the other members and rehearsed what she was told by her mentor.

To the right you will find the Semi Chamber. The Semi Chamber is a duplicate of the Central Chamber, but is less than half its size. The Semi Chamber also splits into four paths, one you came through, leading back to the Central Chamber, the right and left are bedrooms, and if you keep going straight you will come across another Semi Chamber. Again, left and right are the bedrooms and straight ahead is another Semi Chamber and it keeps going. There are five Semi Chambers covering approximately 280 rooms that are shared by two maidens each. Not all are filled.

Now to your left is the armory. It has the same layout as the Bed Chambers, but of course instead of bedrooms there are armories. Now, up ahead is the training area and past that is the Head Maidens Chambers. If you wish to enter the training chamber do not use the bridge, take the doors to the left or right. The bridge leads to the Head Maidens Chambers and only higher ups can enter without scheduled meetings.

Rose rolled her eyes as she finished reminiscing. She started to cross the bridge leading to what she now called the H.M.C. Why couldn’t she have just given me a map? I was lost in the Bed Chambers for 2 hours just looking for my room, and no-one cared to tell me that the pillars in the ‘Semi Chamber’ were elevators leading up to the UPPER rooms. Rose thought to herself, she so hated the layout of the Enclave. As breathtaking as it was, it was just downright annoying to her. Newcomers wandering the halls (as she once had) aimlessly looking for their rooms was a common occurrence.

Rose stopped at the big doors and awaited an answer from the Maidens.

“Enter” A calm voice said from within.

With that Rose entered the chamber, big the doors might have been, but they were not at all as heavy as they looked. She stepped into the dark room, the only light cast by the blue flamed candles in-between the five Maidens. They were raised by the chairs that they sat on. Rose never understood why they had to be 4 metres away from the ground, how they got up there was a whole other question entirely.

One Maiden sat in the middle with two others each beside her. She was the Matriarch, and she ultimately had the final say in all decisions.

“Rose, we have recently found some interesting information about you.” The Matriarch said her voice calm and steady.

“I ca-“Rose tried to speak but was cut off by the far right Maiden.

“You were not permitted to speak, child. Wait until all affairs are dealt with.” She scolded, slightly leaning off her perch.

“Joise, please,” said the left Maiden.

“Now then,” Continued the Matriarch, “We are aware that you took on a request from a client that did not go through us. However, we are not here to lecture you. It seems that something interesting has happened, or more appropriately… been found. There is a man, which was connected to your previous job.”

“Wellington?” Rose replied, warily curious. She did not want another outburst from Joise.

“No, not Wellington, he is but a bug that was squashed. The man in question is the one that did the squashing. We are most curious about the young man.”

“I understand, but I do not know who he is. I had only bumped into him in the club as he was exiting. Or I presume he was the man, with his laughter and puns. How do you-“ Rose replied explaining her situation with the stranger, but was again interrupted by Joise.

“We have the information child. Do not worry.”

“Well actually,” started the far left maiden. “We have his title. His whereabouts and name are unknown to us; we ourselves had to go by rumors on this particularly boy.”

“I see,” Rose replied, waiting for the task that she was to be given.

“So-” Joise started to say but was interrupted.

“Enough Joise,” The Matriarch said, “The girl already understands. We will not pester her anymore.”

Joise curled her lips together and leaned back onto her seat. She was not one to question.

“He is titled the Shadow Bounty, ruthless and effective, not unlike yourself… no? Find him and bring him here. But first,” She continued.

“Investigate his actions and personality,” Rose finished. She knew the precautions that had to be taken too well to be reminded of them.

That was all that needed to be said on the matter. Rose left the chamber and made her way back to the black sedan which would take her back to the inn she worked and lived at. On her way there she saw Serah, another White Maiden. They were sparring partners and Rose found her kind nature pleasant and refreshing. She had wanted to talk to her, but Serah seemed to be busy with a man.

Rose had seen this man come and go frequently, all she knew of him was he was an informer and the only man allowed to step into the Enclave. Regardless of being granted permission to interact with the maidens, rules were rules, and he was not to fraternize with anyone of them. If he did, he would be punished severely along with the Maiden.

Rose left Serah to her business and gave her a smile as she passed her, Serah returned her gesture then re-focused on her task.

“Tomorrow I shall start investigating, but I am in no rush. I can take my time.” Rose said to herself before she entered the car.
UndeadCowboy

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject:  

Nice job on this one. Not much to say really, other than that I wish the chapters were a little longer.

Keep it up. :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject:  

So... after the Shadow Bounty now eh? This should be good :D
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: I think.....  

Nicely done, but I am gonna to hafta poke at it a lil bit...

Needs some word checking. SOme words in there spelled right...but are the wrong word. One exaple is Aloud whaen the word should have been Allowed. Just a little poking. I feel I have little room to do the poking, seeing as my spelling is atrocious, but it makes me all the mor aware of it when I see it in others :P

Another poke is....the descriptiveness at one point was....nonsensical. Like here.

Quote: it resembled a hollow cave but was at least 10 – 20 times the average size of one,

That make noooo sense at all. Caves do not come in an average size. They just don't. And following that line with a very "Southern directions" memory made it all very confusing. Not sure if that makes sense...in fact I'm sure it didn't. The way the memory ran was very info dump and didn't fit in well with everyhting around it...as well as the descriptions themselves being highly head turning. Need some beter either interlacing there, or wait and get the layout in increments. That'd help.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings! I hope to see more from you soon! Keep up the good work!

Storygames Home -> The Vault
Page 1 of 1