Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Who do you write like?
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkdestiny

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Who do you write like?  

http://iwl.me/

Apparently, I write like one Mr. Cory Doctorow

:P

I must read up on him now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Doctorow
Thunderbird

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject:  

hmm... first answer for me came back as Arthur Clarke (author of 2010)

The next answer on another chapter came back as Dan Brown... I can see that considering I read a lot of his stuff.

Another result brought Arthur Clarke again, then Chuck Palahniuk. My first chapter came up as Douglas Adams... I can sort of see why. Alas... I'm not as funny as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Arthur Clarke 2 out of 5 huh? Interesting. I've certainly taken some writing style notes from both Douglas Adams and Dan Brown so I can certainly relate there.

Seems the analyzer works a bit like a spider, looking at content more than the particular style of the writing. Fascinating stuff though.
Cyberworm

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject:  

Interesting, they went in this order:

Dan Brown 2x,
Stephen King,
Annie Rice,
Arthur Clarke.

Not too shabby. Interesting result, Annie Rice, no? :P
DeadManWalking

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject:  

I've gotten everyone from Cory Doctorow to GRRM to Lovecraft to Chuck Palahnuik. I don't actually think that this thing is very reliable.

Btw, Doctorow is an amazing writer. Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is a great book, and Makers is even better.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject:  

Interesting..>!

My results-
Neil Gaiman (X2)
Dan Brown (X2)
Mark Twain
Stephen King
Raymond Chandler

Of these, I've read only Dan Brown and Mark Twain, though I think I've read a Stephen King somewhere. I need to check out the other writers up there!
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject:  

I went through all of the work that I've done here on IF (chapter by chapter, in the case of the longer SGs), and I don't really know whether I'm with DMW, that it's likely not very accurate, or not. When I began, I was using all of the short stories I've written on here, such as stuff for competitions, and I was veering towards it prbably just being a random thing. But when I moved on to SparkleSteps, though the first few chapter were mismatched, after a while the results were pretty much consistant.

For the short stories and my two shorter SGs, the results were 1 each for J.R.R Tolkien, Raymond Chandler, James Fenimore Cooper, William Shakespeare (which I found a little strange ;)), Arthur Clarke, William Gibson, and Dan Brown, and 2 for Margret Atwood.

For SparkleSteps, the results were as follows, in chapter order (some chapters were written split into 2 or 3 so that's why there are more relults than actual chapters):
Valdimir Nabokov
P.G Wodehouse
Stephen King
Valdimir Nabokov
Stephen King x10
Gertrude Stein

The last one (as I was obviously in an experimental mood, which is very out of character, as I'm usually a lazy thinker ;)) I split into 6 smaller parts, and the results came back as 3 each for Gertrude Stein and James Joyce. Then I think the mood ran out because I really couldn't bring myself to do the same with all of the others. *giggles*

I actually haven't even heard of some of these writers, and have actually read even less, so I can't look upon them as being any kind of inspiration. I have read Stephen King, and J.R.R.Tolkien, and I tried to read Shakespeare at school, under instruction of my best friend, but I really just couldn't get into it. Interesting results all the same, and whether they were accurate or not, it was quite fun (yes, I have alot of time on my hands ;)). :)

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:  

Honestly they only take the things you write about not the way you use your sentences. If I was to write about a girl sitting on a wall and she was with a cat and the cat meowed. it be the guy who writes Coroline.... :)
Emperor

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject:  

Edgar Allan Poe
Mary Shelly
Chuck Palahunik
Neil Gaiman

I dont know how accurate this thing is, somehow I doubt it's accurate at all --- but not bad company to keep. Now if I can make the $$ they do

Storygames Home -> Open Forum Archives
Page 1 of 1