Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

bloggy bloggy, blue-huey
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emperor

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: bloggy bloggy, blue-huey  

I'm just wondering if this has ever been brought up or not. I'm sure that a lot of us here have blogs of some sort. Has there been a thread for such entries, is there even an interest in it. The one thing about blogs is that 9 times out of 10 just to read someone else's you have to sign up for an account and blah, blah, blah. Not that I don't have a million other things on my mind, but it's late and I was going through some old stuff and I thought I would ask. Blah, blah, blah, I need sleep.
Thunderbird

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject:  

I agree. It might be a good idea to have a place for IFians to post their blog links. I don't have a blog myself but I'd probably read others'.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject:  

Mmm. I think KK posted a link to hers, somewhere...
Emperor

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:  

Sorry if my post was confusing, insomnia has me firmly in her grip. What I meant to say was rather than just posting links to the blogs themselves, just putting up the entries here or in some other appropriate thread.
Lebrenth

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject:  

So you're saying to turn the a bulletin board thread into a blog? ... Nah, I don't see the need. I like the City of IF being mostly for SG's with the occasional conversations in the Open Forum. We used to have properties, I even bought a spot, where we could post whatever we wanted, including a blog. The properties were a cool idea, but they didn't really catch on. My property was bulldozed, and I don't think I ever got a refund either....

Incidentally, I do have a blog that I have as a link on my profile. It's actually more of a webcomic for "The Great Wizard Tweeb", though I haven't updated it in months. I should link my online portfolio instead. For what it's worth, here's the link: http://www.tweebcomics.blogspot.com/
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject:  

The properties forum is still there, just mothballed, but it was intended for that sort of thing, at least as far as I can tell.

Hmmm. I'll dig it out... it was a complex set up, and I should imagine a nightmare to manage, but... gimme a sec...

Okay, its visible Here but you'll only see it if you're logged in.
From what I remember it was very tightly managed and you had to pay lots of fables for a plot, before you were given permission to start a thread there. Anyways, was that the kind of thing you were thinking of, Emperor?
Lebrenth

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:  

OH... Ok, I guess it didn't get destroyed, I just misplaced it. Well... that's cool. I guess I have to do something with it then. You know I even made a floor plan for the manor using Visio? I had some big ideas that never panned out.
Emperor

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject:  

I hadn't even known something like that existed. It is defiantly a venue for such an idea. But without extending too much effort, I would say leave things as they are, mostly because I was just curious to see whether or not people would like to see other peoples blogs posted. Seeing how people are feeling lukewarm about the idea I would say save the effort for more important things.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:  

I must admit I didn't really know what to do with my 'plot' once I'd purchased it... There didn't seem to be many takers - but... why not try it out?

If you don't have a thread already, why not go ahead and start one. Lets say, one thread per person, no fables required.

If there's interest, it'll take off, and maybe we can look at purchasing plots on the map again... if not, no harm done! :)
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject:  

Wow, I'd totally forgotten about The City!

We tried forum blogs* over on Tome too, but it was only a meh level success. The City! was more designed to be an old fashioned static webpage than a blog, but the functionality could have overlapped.

My blog is: http://www.TomeCity.com/chinarensblog

*TomeCity.com offers free proper Wordpress blogs and hosting.
Emperor

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: I must admit I didn't really know what to do with my 'plot' once I'd purchased it... There didn't seem to be many takers - but... why not try it out?

If you don't have a thread already, why not go ahead and start one. Lets say, one thread per person, no fables required.

If there's interest, it'll take off, and maybe we can look at purchasing plots on the map again... if not, no harm done! :)

So I just go over to the city and post one, from the sticky it looks like you have to purchase? Granted I haven't had sleep in over 30hrs so my mind is a fractured mess and may not be reading things right.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject:  

Emperor wrote: Crunchyfrog wrote: I must admit I didn't really know what to do with my 'plot' once I'd purchased it... There didn't seem to be many takers - but... why not try it out?

So I just go over to the city and post one, from the sticky it looks like you have to purchase? Granted I haven't had sleep in over 30hrs so my mind is a fractured mess and may not be reading things right.

:D That's pretty much how it worked in the past. You paid fables, provided a tiny little icon, and that icon became a link to your thread. Click on one of them on the map, and you'll see.

So in essence, what you were paying for was your 'plot' on the map, that linked directly to your thread. There weren't many takers as you can see... although it's not clear why - maybe it was the fables, maybe there just genuinely wasn't much interest.

I'm offering for people to try it out for nothing (no purchasing a plot, just put your bloggy thread in that forum). At least then we'll see how popular the idea is, and if it's worth pursuing. Although I guess if there was a big demand for it, we'd have seen a proliferation of bloggy threads in the Open forum by now...
Shillelagh

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject:  

It's a very interesting idea, but the map seems excessive. I'm sure it was a labor of love for Chinaren and whoever else, but it seems rather... I dunno... pointless? Especially seeing what people did with these threads... It looks like the goal was to create a beautiful visual community. But... this is a forum. Hyperlinks, editted posts, and awkward tags abound. This just isn't the right interface for this type of thing. I feel like it'd be easier to make a spreadsheet in Microsoft Word than this project.

I just might make a thread there. Probably not, though. It'd just me yet another thing that I'd feel bad for ignoring for months on end.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject:  

Shillelagh wrote: It's a very interesting idea, but the map seems excessive. I'm sure it was a labor of love for Chinaren

It was an experiment. Didn't actually take long to do if I remember correctly. The point was to give people a tool and see what they did with it. I think this was just before I left IF, so things kind of faded after that.

These things I like to try, see if anything comes of them. In this case it didn't work out, but it was an interesting concept.

I :|
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:  

I was just on my way out last time when 'the city' was coming together. I think I was about to pay for a plot the same week actually. Never did see how it ended up but its quite interesting. Was something of a fad at the time but it still bears some promise. Sheesh, walking around in there was like taking a serious trip down memory lane.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject:  

http://kunst-professionalmakeup.blogspot.com/

I could continue with my blog... :D I really like writing.

This is my most recent post:

Something my sister told me that my grandmother said, "a realtionship is like mercury if you hold on too tightly to a relationship, it'll eventaully disapear, just let it sit in the palm of your hands, let it slip between your fingers, and if it is on the floor, it will eventaully evapurate and be a part of you." It's words of advice I have probably forgotten as a young kid....
Amichan

Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject:  

After hearing the pros and cons of the plots .. I would think that a Free plot for a person to have as their own place in IF is a fairly decent idea on the condition that it still meets the criteria for the rules that are already set in place so the countermeasure would be first time warned 2nd time lose the plot .. which puts them back in the mainstream .. after that which hopefully it wont to come it a third time .. yes sadly her Greeniness may have to lug the ban - hammer out of storage but lets hope it doesnt come to that

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
Page 1 of 1