Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Request for feedback (Forum modification)
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Request for feedback (Forum modification)  

After reviewing the new comment suggestion I am starting to get a plan together on how to implement it.

The first step that I see is to identify if new topics in the forum are allowed to be flagged as chapters. For example in Fantasy Forest someone posting a new topic most likely is starting a Storygame and so it should default it to being a new chapter.

If someone is doing an announcement or two word at a time storygame, in theory, they know what they are doing and will turn it off the new chapter flag before posting.

However if someone is posting in the City Auditorium then there is no reason that they would want to flag their new topic as a chapter and this option should not be available in that forum.

Linear Lane is a discussion point ;).

~~~

This would only be visible to people with permission to create and edit forums (Mayor and King?). I don't think there is a need for the forum to visually show if this is option enabled or not outside of the forum management interface as this shouldn't be something that citizens need to think about.

The default would be "Primary use for new stories" and this can be changed both when the forum is being created and when the forum is edited.

I kept it as a selection box in the mockup for consistency. I put two options "Primary use is for new stories" and "Can not be used for stories". The names can be changed if someone has a better idea.

This is the current interface

This is the proposed revised interface

Feedback and discussion is welcome.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject:  

The admin interface modification looks self explanatory. :cool:

So, if I understand correctly, what you're saying is - if the Mayor or King sets the forum to 'Primary use is for New Stories' - then this will enable the option for the topic starter to identify their topic as being a new chapter?
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject:  

Well presented. Its a start. But then, that's not quite the full picture.

Once a new post has been started in the right sort of forum, the author ONLY would be given the Post button and anther right next to it, a 'New Chapter' button.

Then we need a spreadsheet list link for 'Newest Chapters', perhaps just below the 'Recent Posts' link.

And I think that about does it, no?

While we're at it.

I've seen on other forums a post ID# with each post. This is also a selectable link that brings up a url dedicated only to displaying that particular post (no responses or anything either.) This becomes useful for expressing a link to a pertinent post in a conversation etc... and it may be somehow useful for drawing the Newest Chapters list as well - allowing us to be taken directly to not only the thread containing the newest chapter, but the beginning of the newest chapter post as well.

Not sure if I'm being all that clear here...
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject:  

You mean lke this? The post ID is right next to---> Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:  

Oh... I hadn't seen that little icon there... all this time... huh.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's along the lines of what I was getting at yes, it does consider the primary application I was looking for. Though on the forum I've seen what I was mentioning. the post ID was listed as a linked # in the top right of the post topic line and when the link was selected, it would isolate the post on its own display, unlinked to the posts before and after it... not sure if that would be at all necessary here though. What you pointed out seems to do the trick.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject:  

Question:

In a forum like Fantasy Forest, where new chapters are replies to existing threads, are you saying that as long as Fantasy Forest is set to 'Primary use is for new stories' then the topic starter will be able to flag that individual post as a new chapter?

That would be awesome.

Would moderators of those forums also be able to do this?
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject:  

Wow that's a lot of responses :shock:

Thank you for the feedback so far :D

Crunchyfrog wrote: So, if I understand correctly, what you're saying is - if the Mayor or King sets the forum to 'Primary use is for New Stories' - then this will enable the option for the topic starter to identify their topic as being a new chapter?

That is correct (although this is just the first step in moving in that direction). In forums identified as "Primary use is for New Stories" the default for that forum will be new chapters. This can be turned off for the first post.

A more vague second rule is if the thread doesn't start with a chapter you can't add chapters to it. (I haven't looked in depth so the exact implementation is subject to change)

Thunderbird wrote: Well presented.
Thank you :)

Thunderbird wrote: Its a start. But then, that's not quite the full picture.
Understood. I want to get this finished before I look into exactly how the next phase is going to work. While the code makes sense it is highly modularized and it will take a while before I can retain more then one full implementation plan at a time.

Thunderbird wrote: Once a new post has been started in the right sort of forum, the author ONLY would be given the Post button and anther right next to it, a 'New Chapter' button.
Correct. I would further limit it to topics that start with a chapter as it wouldn't make sense for chapters to start appearing in the middle of announcements. I will be further discussing ideas for how this can work once I finish up with this part of the project.

Thunderbird wrote: Then we need a spreadsheet list link for 'Newest Chapters', perhaps just below the 'Recent Posts' link.
That is correct.

Thunderbird wrote: And I think that about does it, no?
Depending on how long it takes to get here this may be the end of the line. If I feel like continuing there are other things that can be worked on.

Crunchyfrog wrote: In a forum like Fantasy Forest, where new chapters are replies to existing threads, are you saying that as long as Fantasy Forest is set to 'Primary use is for new stories' then the topic starter will be able to flag that individual post as a new chapter?
My idea is as long as the topic is started with a chapter (default option) that is correct. This can be changed if people feel it is too confusing.

Crunchyfrog wrote: Would moderators of those forums also be able to do this?
That is my plan. Exact details to be discussed later once I figure out exactly how I want to implement the new chapters part of the project (which won't be until after this part is complete).
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject:  

So you have some programming capacity here? Nice. Lebby and I were looking at trying to get in on that as well, learning the PHP and so on. I'll PM you more on that project that's coming together. You could be quite instrumental there, if you're willing.
Smee

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject:  

Great that there's some coding talent in place - and the idea here is excellent.

I would suggest though that serious thought is put into upgrading the forum software before we look to yet another bespoke coding addition that adds yet another reason not to upgrade for years to come.

If you're going to learn the code, might as well learn it for a modern version :)
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: I would suggest though that serious thought is put into upgrading the forum software before we look to yet another bespoke coding addition that adds yet another reason not to upgrade for years to come.

If you're going to learn the code, might as well learn it for a modern version :)

I've created a topic to review it.

It isn't going to happen unless someone wants to head it up though. It is a larger project then I am willing to take on. Starting with identifying mods, seeing what can be re-installed in the new system and what can't, converting data for mods that need to be upgraded, testing, testing, testing, etc...

If someone is going to take this on I am willing to offer limited assistance. I don't have a ton of time to devote to IF but I am willing to help where needed.

To bad I already "learned" the code for this forum before posting the request for input :sad:

It's not actually that bad once you figure out how it is set up. I've seen much worse.

Of course I assume phpBB 3 isn't going to be much harder to work on so it's more or less a moot point.

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
Page 1 of 1