Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

THOR!!!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: THOR!!!  

Ok, just got back from one of the most wicked movie-going experiences EVER!

3d technology has come a very long ways... I haven't deigned to try it recently until this most recent Marvel release. And what a powerful delivery of this now well developed presentation style. Not only was this movie absolutely exceeding all expectations, but the imagery was absolutely stunning, mind-boggling in 3d!

If you were debating whether to take a trip to the theaters for this one, debate no further... GO!

Sorry... I don't normally start topics like this but I am so JAZZED I can't help it!

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject:  

So, is it that story about killing the dragon?
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject:  

No... Thor is a Marvel superhero derived from Norse mythology. I could go on a complete rant about connections between Norse and other mythologies, parallels and such (trust me... my head is really working that puzzle tonight after watching the movie...) but that's not my point. My point is simply that the movie is awesome!

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject:  

:) Ok, I haven't been to a 3D theater for a longtime... :P I just know the normal ones the most.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject:  

Last movie I watched in theaters (Sucker Punch) scarred me: it completely neglected any of the traditional skills such as acting, plotline, or human drama. So I'm a bit wary. Are the visuals all that good? From what I've seen, it doesn't seem that much different from Iron Man or any superhero movie. How is Thor unique?
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject:  

Well, the visuals are astounding. Perhaps the best I've ever seen.

The downside is it missed the mark on some of the interpersonal connections. But it was a pretty good story nevertheless.
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject:  

I actually walked out of this close to mid movie :lol: It wasn't that I hated the movie, it was just that it wasn't great and I really didn't feel like watching a movie at the time. I'm not sure why I went in the first place, and I must admit it was starting to get better (the beginning was terrible) but I couldn't justify staying any longer. I can be weird like that with movies though, so I wouldn't go off my judgement.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject:  

*scribbles THOR in his notepad*

Isn't Thor the Norse god of lightning? The last movie I saw in theatre was a tamil film called KO and it was so terrific that I bought a CD (illegal.. i know) on my way home and watched it again.

I'll see this one!!!!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: I think.....  

I like Thor from Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok.....If you like norse mythos, you should check it out Thunder-kun! It's....aaaaccurate, to a point. It just has a slightly different take on...several points... It makes the banishment rather more tolerable, is the best way I can put it...

Anyway, if I make it out of county to an actual movie theater, I'll drop in and check it out. Thnx for the heads up!
Angeal PureHeart

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject:  

I watched that movie recently and I am glad that they had the Himedall right. According to the Norse Himedall was comepletely blind, guardian of the city, as well as God of Light, and Protection. He was indeed all of those things in this movie as well. I am very glad that they kept that part correct. I might have been upset if they did not. I know alot more about Norse Mythology than people think I do.
Bookwizard

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

It certainly exceeded my expectations, though I did have pretty low ones. I have not really gotten into this whole comic-movie craze that I think was started by the success of Iron-Man...

Kalyssa Summers

Location: RL: NJ, USA | Starving Peasant for Posts in City of IF *Reaches for your Story Hungrily*

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

Boyfriend coming over in 11 days....is THOR going to be still out then?!!

:lol: he's the only one with the money to take me out to a movie....
Thunderbird

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: this whole comic-movie craze that I think was started by the success of Iron-Man...
It was planned since the success of the Spider Man and X-men movies I think. They meant for this from the beginning with Iron Man - that Iron Man, the Hulk (the newer re-released version), Thor, and the soon to arrive Capt'n America to lead into the Avengers next summer.
Lilith

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject:  

YAYNESS! Saw Thor when I was on vacation in the UK and it was AWESOME. With the exception of the love interest in it. I think it was too rushed, too forced, and to be honest? She was kinda pathetic.

But I quite enjoyed the Norse God(s).
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject:  

Lilith wrote: YAYNESS! Saw Thor when I was on vacation in the UK and it was AWESOME. With the exception of the love interest in it. I think it was too rushed, too forced, and to be honest? She was kinda pathetic.

Yeah, their failings there was the one thing that cut the movie at the knees with the critics. The relationship was most certainly not established well enough to warrant such a deep connection. Much agreed. But yeah, it didn't really matter in light of all the positive things going on there.

I just got back from the new Pirates movie and gotta say, the mermaids were depicted amazingly - true vision for the creatures. And the plotwork is everything as excellent as what we've come to expect from the franchise. But it admittedly wasn't quite as good as the first three, though the story developing may end up just as good if not better.
Kalyssa Summers

Location: RL: NJ, USA | Starving Peasant for Posts in City of IF *Reaches for your Story Hungrily*

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: Lilith wrote: YAYNESS! Saw Thor when I was on vacation in the UK and it was AWESOME. With the exception of the love interest in it. I think it was too rushed, too forced, and to be honest? She was kinda pathetic.

Yeah, their failings there was the one thing that cut the movie at the knees with the critics. The relationship was most certainly not established well enough to warrant such a deep connection. Much agreed. But yeah, it didn't really matter in light of all the positive things going on there.

I just got back from the new Pirates movie and gotta say, the mermaids were depicted amazingly - true vision for the creatures. And the plotwork is everything as excellent as what we've come to expect from the franchise. But it admittedly wasn't quite as good as the first three, though the story developing may end up just as good if not better.

*envy*
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject:  

Kalyssa Summers wrote: Boyfriend coming over in 11 days....is THOR going to be still out then?!!

:lol: he's the only one with the money to take me out to a movie....

As soon as I read the first sentence, I started frantically searching for the word "money" :P

*Girls, I tell you* :P

ROFL, go for it. Its a freaking awesome movie.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject:  

Is it as good not in 3D? People have said that the 3D is amazing, but does the actual film stand on its own?
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject:  

I actually felt the 3D just detracted from the film. Unless a film is specifically designed for 3D, it's just a fairly useless gimic. There's only been two films that I know of, where the 3D actually made a big improvement. Everything else, it's fairly pointless.
Lilith

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject:  

LordoftheNight wrote: I actually felt the 3D just detracted from the film. Unless a film is specifically designed for 3D, it's just a fairly useless gimic. There's only been two films that I know of, where the 3D actually made a big improvement. Everything else, it's fairly pointless.

I concurr, with the exception that I think it only worked for Tron: Legacy. Which I quite enjoyed* as well.

*......I think I'm suddenly realizing movies with shirtless boys are automatically in the like column. Crap.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject:  

Lilith wrote:
*......I think I'm suddenly realizing movies with shirtless boys are automatically in the like column. Crap.

One word: Twilight.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject:  

Lilith wrote: LordoftheNight wrote: I actually felt the 3D just detracted from the film. Unless a film is specifically designed for 3D, it's just a fairly useless gimic. There's only been two films that I know of, where the 3D actually made a big improvement. Everything else, it's fairly pointless.

I concurr, with the exception that I think it only worked for Tron: Legacy. Which I quite enjoyed* as well.

Tron would be one of those two films. And it worked, because the 3D bits were shot in 3D, as opposed to being editted later.
Kalyssa Summers

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject:  

LordoftheNight wrote: Lilith wrote: LordoftheNight wrote: I actually felt the 3D just detracted from the film. Unless a film is specifically designed for 3D, it's just a fairly useless gimic. There's only been two films that I know of, where the 3D actually made a big improvement. Everything else, it's fairly pointless.

[color=darkblue]I concurr, with the exception that I think it only worked for Tron: Legacy. Which I quite enjoyed* as well.

Tron would be one of those two films. And it worked, because the 3D bits were shot in 3D, as opposed to being editted later.

Tron was fun! We watched in in the giant IMAX in San Francisco.

Vikas wrote: As soon as I read the first sentence, I started frantically searching for the word "money" :Razz:

*Girls, I tell you* :Razz:

Hey! :poke: I deserve men who spoil me! And dunn' slam a girl for bein' relatively poor! :P
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:  

Kalyssa Summers wrote:
Vikas wrote: As soon as I read the first sentence, I started frantically searching for the word "money" :Razz:

Hey! :poke: I deserve men who spoil me! And dunn' slam a girl for bein' relatively poor! :P

Yeah...right.. Okay :P
Lilith

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject:  

The White Blacksmith wrote: Lilith wrote:

One word: Twilight.

Sorry, should I clarify and say HUMAN MEN?! *hates Twilight*
Kalyssa Summers wrote: LordoftheNight wrote: Lilith wrote: LordoftheNight wrote: I actually felt the 3D just detracted from the film. Unless a film is specifically designed for 3D, it's just a fairly useless gimic. There's only been two films that I know of, where the 3D actually made a big improvement. Everything else, it's fairly pointless.

Tron was fun! We watched in in the giant IMAX in San Francisco.

[color=darkblue]*coughs and hides the fact I sign my own paycheck each week*
Kalyssa Summers

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject:  

Lilith wrote:

What's Tron Legacy?

Lilith wrote:

[color=darkblue]*coughs and hides the fact I sign my own paycheck each week*[/quote]

*envious of Lilith* That's where I"m going to at some point! :) :)
Cremuex Levier

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject:  

As much as I love Thor (Loki just needs a big hug) as a movie, I could seriously do without the 3D which we don't get in the town that I reside in. However other 3D movies that I've seen have been triggers to migraines and I try to avoid them. I don't think you actually lose any quality of the movie if you don't watch it in 3D. All the story is still there it just doesn't pretentiousness try to do what the 80s did better. I quite prefer the red and blue glasses to the new black ones.

Storygames Home -> Hall of Debate
Page 1 of 1