Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Request for feedback - "Adult" content areas
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Request for feedback - "Adult" content areas  

The code for the "Adult" content is now on the main site.

Please provide any feedback regarding this feature here.

I know it was mentioned that a checkbox might be needed to make the areas explicitly opt int. I strongly agree that they should be opt in but I am wondering if the message on the year is enough.

Your thoughts?
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject:  

It seems to be working now. :)

Mmm, given the ease that you can change the date of your birth (and why not more than 100??? That's discrimination!) perhaps you could have just made it a check box.

Check here to be able to view adult material.
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

Chinaren wrote: It seems to be working now. :)

Mmm, given the ease that you can change the date of your birth (and why not more than 100??? That's discrimination!) perhaps you could have just made it a check box.

Check here to be able to view adult material.
:lol: It was probably worth it because of the mods that got put in on the backend to support it but yeah that would have been a little faster.

Still the stock mod (mostly) worked without modification so it wasn't too bad.

EDIT: If I remember correctly there is an option to make it where you can't change it once you set it. Not that it's my call on if to turn that on or not ;)
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject:  

Ingrothechundyer wrote:
EDIT: If I remember correctly there is an option to make it where you can't change it once you set it. Not that it's my call on if to turn that on or not ;)

Ooh, controversial!
Kalyssa Summers

Location: RL: NJ, USA | Starving Peasant for Posts in City of IF *Reaches for your Story Hungrily*

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject:  

Agree with C'ren....the birthdate's great, but a checkbox explicitly saying "yes I REALLY want to see the Mature content" would be better.

I haven't tested yet, because I just logged on. Will update in a minute...
Kalyssa Summers

Location: RL: NJ, USA | Starving Peasant for Posts in City of IF *Reaches for your Story Hungrily*

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject:  

Update: I still cannot get in. I set my birthdate to November 16, 1986, but it still blocks me.

Also looking in 'Storygames Home'
-->http://www.cityofif.com/forum/index.php

...You can still see all Mature forum-related posts that were actually in the Forum.

I also run on a netbook so the screen is smaller....I have a feeling there's a few others that also run on netbooks. Anyway the reason I mention is because when I entered my birthday the box for the year got moved to the line under, which basically made the parenthesized explanation confusing and pointless.

Checkbox for mature content is better, though I know its so much work for you:(.

Thank you SO SO SO much for all your ROCKIN CODE! =D =D
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject:  

That is really odd :shock:

Have you tried logging out and logging back in?
Emperor

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject:  

This is most likely a question that has an obvious answer, being that Symphony is for mature readers how do I set an age limit?
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject:  

Emperor wrote: This is most likely a question that has an obvious answer, being that Symphony is for mature readers how do I set an age limit?

PM the Mayor.
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject:  

I was thinking of that earlier today E.

Any authors with feature forums may set whatever age limit they wish. And yes, just pm me. For example, I may even require HM to be 16 and up.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject:  

Sorry, joining this thread a bit late.

I'm not sure if we should actually have the text 'only enter here if you want to see the adult content'. That's kind of telling underaged people that we've got an adult site and if they want to see it, enter an age that is older than their own.

I mean, some people will lie about their age, to say that they're either older or younger than they are, ( :P @ C'ren) but I'm not sure we should invite them to lie by giving them a reason to do so.

Just my tuppenceworth. :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject:  

that's not a bad idea come to think of it cf

also thinking we should have it simply be a part of signup (there's a page that pops up asking if you're 13 or over or under - replace with birthday question and just state its a requirement to enter it plust the rest of the text it goes on about)
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject:  

A major thank you to Kalyssa Summers for helping me chase down the issue with the site appearing to log you out when clicking on certain links. The issue is now fixed!

:clap:

Thunderbird wrote: also thinking we should have it simply be a part of signup (there's a page that pops up asking if you're 13 or over or under - replace with birthday question and just state its a requirement to enter it plust the rest of the text it goes on about)

I would be hesitant to touch that checkbox since I'm pretty sure it's there for legal reasons.
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject:  

So how does one go about marking one's thread as "adult"?
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: So how does one go about marking one's thread as "adult"?

PM the Mayor
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject:  

Ingrothechundyer wrote: I would be hesitant to touch that checkbox since I'm pretty sure it's there for legal reasons.

I can understand that. I suppose in the process, the profile edit page does come up so that may be sufficient enough. I tend to agree that its best we don't, right there, advertise why we're asking - perhaps just mention that birthdays won't be openly displayed to any regular forum users.
Angeal PureHeart

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject:  

So you have to be 19 in order to veiw "Adult" threads? I don't see how fair that is... I waited for 18 years to be considered an adult and now even though I am 18 as of February 19 2011, I am still not considered an adult? Or was that only for the test thread and it is down to the rightful 18 now?
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject:  

No, each forum has its own establishable age limit and the majority will be set at 18 unless the individual author of a story with its own forum elects for a different setting.
Kalyssa Summers

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject:  

Ingrothechundyer wrote: A major thank you to Kalyssa Summers for helping me chase down the issue with the site appearing to log you out when clicking on certain links. The issue is now fixed!

:clap:

Blush, aw Ingro, it was fun! Thanks for letting little me poke your code a tad bit =D
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject:  

Im not yet 19. And Im about to post an "adultish" topic. Would that mean even though Im an author, I wouldn't be able to see it?!

Check that out please.
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject:  

Vikas Muralidharan wrote: Im not yet 19. And Im about to post an "adultish" topic. Would that mean even though Im an author, I wouldn't be able to see it?!

Check that out please.

Well you could lie. According to my profile I was born in 1979, I'm just saying. Not that I wouldn't be old enough anyways, but it is the internet.
Shillelagh

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject:  

Ummm...what? If you're about to post a topic in an adult forum, just being in that forum to post it means you'll be able to see the topic once it's done. If you wouldn't be able to see the topic, then you wouldn't even be able to see the forum to post the topic in the right place. And, someone can correct me if I'm wrong... but I think the age is set to 18, anyway...
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:  

It IS 18.

Vikas, Vishal, is this still too high for the two of you?
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, we're 16 :P

Storygames Home -> Open Forum Archives
Page 1 of 1