Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Question For Andi & MisterBiz!
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Mayoral Election May 2012
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilith

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Question For Andi & MisterBiz!  

**Please note that I tend to come across rather abrasive because I don't feel that anything should be sugar-coated, so if you think I'm attacking you, I'm not. I'm just asking what's on my brain in a much less... political way than most people. XD**

First, a statement. There's going to be A LOT of comments and questions about activity on IF. How do we get more activity? How do we get more activity? And again, How do we get more activity? You are going to see this OVER and OVER and OVER again from your voters.

There is one SINGLE answer to this question: Activity begets activity begets activity. When I say that, I mean, as a MODERATOR or as the MAYOR, there is a responsibility on your shoulders that you need to take upon yourself and display what sort of activity needs to be happening to keep the City of IF alive and well.

What I'm about to say - no it's not in the rules because it's COMMON sense and should be ingrained in everyone's memory if they were ever a mod or promoted to mod. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE AN AUTHOR TO CREATE ACTIVITY ON IF! In order to get more players on here, we have to SHOW PLAYERS WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO! And to do that we as a community need to begin POSTING COMMENTS in other's SGs that we read, even if we usually just read and don't comment, we need to start voting in the polls of stories we read, and not just one genre! Essentially, if you do both write AND read here, you should be posting comments in TWICE as many SGs as you are writing. That ratio will keep IF alive and thriving enough to show that we are very much worth joining and staying!

This community (yes I say community, not website, because that is essentially what we are) used to thrive and I'd see over a hundred new posts to read through when I logged on EVERY DAY. I don't want to see IF go to waste. And now? Long before a Mayor is half way through his or her term, they disappear! Why is this? I have no idea but it'd be a great IF Tale about the Curse of Mayorship. ;) (Credit to me if someone uses this idea! Or I shall hunt you!)

That ALL being said, my ACTUAL question to both of the candidates for Mayor is...

WILL you display the above characteristics I have listed as a qualifying member of the City of IF? I shall list them again below to remind you what they are:

Logging in every day to keep an eye on things and help prevent slacking off
Posting in twice as many SGs as you are currently writing
Holding your appointed mods/Vice-Mayor/ess to the same standards you are

So. Will you do these things? Notice I've not asked you to tell me WHAT you plan to make IF active again, I've just given you a FOOL-PROOF plan on how to do it on a solid gold platter!

Your answer, should you chose to accept what I've said as common sense and truth, can be simply yes or no. Without an explaination.

Keep an eye on this spot, I may have more comments/statements/questions for you!

Love from,

~Lily~
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, Ma'am. =)
misterbiz

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject:  

Yup
Lilith

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject:  

Second question!

All of the above responsibilities require a fair amount of EFFORT and WORK as well as focus, concentration and a great amount of committment to this community. The past six months of one's history on the site should be reviewed carefully before the next question is answered. If the past six months have been spotty in ones own readership and commenting on DPs, the question to this answer should probably be no in order to be truthful and honest as we prefer our IFian politicans to be.

Can you COMMIT to IF enough to fulfill the requirements in my post above for the next SIX months and AFTER, to BREAK the cycle of the Curse of Mayorship?
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject:  

I know I can...looking back, the only times when I wasn't commenting on If regularly was when I had the miscarriage and when I was in the hospital...both of which we're going to hope don't happen again any time soon. ;) Even then, though, as you said in your first post, I was still popping in to check the new posts and such.
misterbiz

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject:  

I want to say yes...but I can't mainly because as the next three months whittle away I will be getting busier and busier as my wedding approaches. However, after my wedding I would be totally and fully committed. And in the next three I would simply be able to do my best to split my time between here and the outside world.
sagittaeri

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject:  

There was a time when we get hundreds of new posts per day? Wow, I hope it happens again... Anyway, I'm going to shamelessly propose an idea here and risk getting turned into a rat by Lilith.

I personally feel that a strict requirement to log in everyday for 6 months back-to-back may be a little harsh. Don't get me wrong, I love activity, you know I do. But we also don't want to burn out our potential mayors. I've seen it many times. Someone takes on a huge responsibility on a site they are active on, only to end up being overwhelmed and becoming inactive in a few months. I think it's equally important that we give a few concessions, e.g. cannot be absent two days in a row, or if it must happen, then delegate someone else to fill in; or, assign a first mate/right hand/second in command to share online responsibilities, etc.

Not only that, I feel that we should reward our mayor in some way, in recognition of their hard work. I don't know how, yet. Perhaps by marking "favourite" on all their SGs. Or by placing their SGs in a "featured SGs" section, if we have one. Or by simply thanking them when they help us and not being nasty to them when things go wrong. We want our mayor to get some form of satisfaction from dealing with our lot, so they'll continue doing a great job.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that unlike Lilith, my ideas are not well-formed or concrete, and are meant to be discussed upon. I could be outright wrong, of course, and I'll gladly hear it, as I'm approaching this with a completely open mind.
Andolyn

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject:  

We do have vice-mayors and that helps. =) after the election, the new Mayor/ess will select his or her own Vice mayor/ess. =)
Lilith

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject:  

That's the responsibility that a Mayoral candidate signs up for when they throw their hat in the election ring. The Mayor/ess should ALWAYS represent the best of IF, including the SG readership spirit. Which means displaying an example for the Vice Mayor/ess and the Mods. Lead by example is my point here. But if everyone's satisfied with how inactive the site is now, I can happily zip it and step back, so to say. I've been here five years, and was a Mod for a decent two before I decided the 'behind the scenes' drama was enough for me.

This site kinda broke me onto the internet scene, and now I'm running and coding my own forum. But IF used to be my home. I'd like to see that level of activity here again for others who just might need this place as much as it needs them. It should be a give and take ideal here: However much you put into the site, you should get the equivalent back out of it. But that doesn't work unless everyone gives it their best effort instead of selfishly sitting on the sidelines and watching. If you don't say SOMETHING, even how small or insignificant you might think it is, you're depriving IF, the readers on IF and even yourself from the activity.

So I get a little crazy and a little defensive when it comes to the future well-being of this site. I expect the Mayor/ess to deliver the unspoken responsibilites as well as the simple ones outlined by Key in the Election theread. I expect the Mayor/ess to BE the cream of the crop. But it's kind of a let down when we've had almost 2 solid years of nothing but silence once the Mayor/ess has been elected. It rather disgusts me to be perfectly honest. So I'd rather not see the Mayoral position go to someone who just plans on sitting around with his/her thumbs up you-know-where once they've got themselves into the position where they COULD do some REAL good for IF, but for some reason, can't be arsed to get a move on.

*brings down crop and snaps it in the air* For now, I won't turn you into a rat or a toad. How do you feel about cats? ;)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject:  

Congrats both of you for stepping up for the job. :)

As a past Mayor (elected twice) and as a deputy Mayor for 18 months I probably have the most experience in the role. I've been Mayor when the community has been active and edgy, I've been Mayor when the community has been quieter and focused only on the Storygames. Over that two and a half years I did log in every day except when sick, on vacation or RL presented me with a deadline. Even then, I'd make sure the community would be aware of how long I'd be away and when I'd be back.

But that's not what my question is about today. o-)

Over the years, different mayors have run the day to day activity in different ways, and all have left some kind of mark on the place in some way or other, whether it's been their intention or not.

Some have been prolific writers and SG players. Others have focused on the social aspect more. Some have kept the site simple, carrying little more than the SG districts and an Open Forum, others have expanded it to include numerous creative aspects. Some have stimulated interest and activity by changing the framework of the community, others have stimulated interest and activity by promoting the site's core focus, the Storygame.

As a Mayor, what will be your main focus for the site?
sagittaeri

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject:  

Ohh excellent question. I want to know your answers to Crunchy's question too.
Andolyn

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject:  

Well, the purpose of the site IS the SGs. My main focus will be the SGs. As Lil said above, I will go into overdrive with reading and commenting, setting an example for the rest of the citizens. I also want to find ways to make the SGs simpler and more appealing to newcomers.
misterbiz

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject:  

Like Andolyn, I will be focusing on the SGs. I will boost up my reading and commenting as well as well as try to bring more attention to them and the site as a whole to hopefully attract new people.
Shillelagh

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject:  

Here's my question. It's been about a week since you announced that you wanted to run for mayor, and you're both doing a great job of talking the talk. And, certainly, one of the biggest parts of being the mayor is being active.

So, how much more active have you become? It's campaign season, after all. How many new stories have you read and/or caught up with? How many are you starting to catch up to? How many threads are you posting in? How many discussions have you had in the Inn? A mayor who isn't visible in the community is a pretty shoddy mayor in my book.

And if you're not becoming more active... why not? Surely you're not waiting for the title before you act?
Andolyn

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject:  

I like to think I'm already a pretty active member of the community. Exact numbers for all those? Well I'll have to get back to you on that. Haha! I'm certainly not active in every SG...something that I'll be working on, but I am loyal as a whole to the site's activity. As for stepping things up during election season...why? Would I be fooling any of you if I were to suddenly go from a ghost in the City to having my name on every post when you sign in? No. You'd see right through it. I'll slowly build up my commenting so that it becomes a lifestyle for me instead of just an election ploy.
misterbiz

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject:  

I am on this site every damn day. I may not do anything some days but I show up. I have sat in the empty Inn on several occasions. So I am pretty active and as Andolyn pointed out. Why do it just for election season. It's akin to someone who doesn't associate with their mother suddenly talking to her and showing appreciation just cause its Mother's Day. In reality, it cheapens the act. I will casually step up my reading and commenting and catching up.
sagittaeri

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject:  

Andolyn wrote: Well, the purpose of the site IS the SGs. My main focus will be the SGs. As Lil said above, I will go into overdrive with reading and commenting, setting an example for the rest of the citizens. I also want to find ways to make the SGs simpler and more appealing to newcomers.

Hi Andolyn, can you elaborate what you meant by the last sentence? Thanks!
sagittaeri

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject:  

Shille, I have to agree with both biz and andi, actually. The level of their activity are already one of the highest in SGs and in the Inn. The problem isn't their activity, I reckon, it's the activity of the rest of us.

What we need is ideas for incentives for the less-active members to participate in the inn and more SGs. So far, both candidates have suggested the same solution: lead by example. I agree with the principle, and I think it might work. But I'll also happily welcome other ideas.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:  

Here's a question. Are you generally a hands-on or hands-off person? Do you prefer to be heavily involved in everything that goes on or do you delegate?
Andolyn

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject:  

Well, it depends, really. I tend to be hands on, but if the situation calls for it, I will delegate to get the job done more efficiently.

For Sagi's question, i'd like to see the site become more streamlined. We have a lot of sections to the city that, given our current population, are not being used at all and make our city seem emptier than it is in reality. Streamlining these few areas will be like pruning a tree and will lead to better growth, I believe. We can always flex back up when we have the necessary volume to do so.
Shillelagh

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject:  

sagittaeri wrote: Shille, I have to agree with both biz and andi, actually. The level of their activity are already one of the highest in SGs and in the Inn.

Oh, I agree. Mostly, I wanted to see if they agreed, or if they were planning to "step it up", at which point I would have had to question how they could have possibly been any more active around here. This also got them to mention the ways in which they are currently active.

And it also showed us how they might react to some of our more abrasive members. I, like Lil, can frequently come across as a complete jerk. I didn't intend to, though, so I apologize if I offended either candidate.
Andolyn

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject:  

not at all!! lol it's election time! we're expected to be grilled. we ARE going to be the ones to lead the City after all. you have every right to be rough. =)
sagittaeri

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:  

Who knew that Shille could be so sneaky? :rolly:

In the spirit of grilling, may I ask what are the responsibilities of the current forum mod and vice-mayor, and if there are any plans on changing them.
Lilith

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject:  

Now wait a minute. Are you calling me a jerk now Shille? 'Cause I could respond with something about people who threadjack in a forum that's completely open to all members to use.

((I am totally 100% kidding... or maybe I'm not. I am a GM in the RP you're playing Shille... hmm...))

I couldn't help but stick my nose back in here to smart off a bit more.

So.. good questions everyone... but I don't see anyone asking, "Where's the proof of your activity? Link us to SGs you've read/commented/voted in!" just to get a little more picky and a little more rough with our candidates! (Don't blame me! Andi said we should!)
Andolyn

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject:  

damn my mouth...

hmm...let's see...we'll start with fantasy...

here's Lil's Eden: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6796
Tika's SparkleSteps: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=162

Horror

Biz's Escaping Eternia: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6346
Alice: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6831
Kissing the Darkness: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6731
Sagi's Hidden Crime: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7029

Scifi

Pope's To Be A Knight: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6222

Romance:

Vikas's HATE: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6675&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Kalanna's A Touch of Kindness: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6813

Experimental

Cremeux's Insomniac: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6981
Biz's Icarus Faraday Tournament: http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6877

....ok...i think i'm done...i think...*collapses*

as for mods and the Vice, Mods are like governors...they're the masters of their respective realm, but each answers to the Mayor. They monitor SGs and handle the little issues that pop up within the Forums that the Mayor might initially miss. The vice, weeell...the vice is the Mayor's right hand, so to speak. Anything the Mayor might need assistance with, the Vice is right there. =)

***EDIT***
I was told I should add that this list does not contain SGs that I need to catch up with...that would add at least 6 more...sorry guys...i'll work on it. =(
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject:  

The correct answer to that last question IMO is CHECK THE FRIGGIN SEARCH FUNCTION YOURSELF, DUMBASS!! or similar words to that effect depending upon your personality.

Lesson #1 for prospective Mayors.

Don't let the general populace waste your time - which is precious, and given voluntarily. The time it would have taken for Andi to do that research could have been spent catching up on one of those 6 SGs.

I checked the history to see how well both candidates' claims were backed up, and I've formed my opinion of each.

Here is my next question.

If you lose the election, what will you do?

*Chews on sugar coating carefully removed from this post* :P
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject:  

I appreciate your concern, crunchy, but I will decide which ventures are a waste of my time and which aren't. This IS the election forum, and this IS Lilith's thread where she is free and even encouraged to ask whatever question she desires. Knowing Lil, I think its safe to say that if she asks a question, there's a lot of thought behind it...so I don't mind answering.
Lilith

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject:  

Crunchyfrog wrote: The correct answer to that last question IMO is CHECK THE FRIGGIN SEARCH FUNCTION YOURSELF, DUMBASS!! or similar words to that effect depending upon your personality.

Lesson #1 for prospective Mayors.

Don't let the general populace waste your time - which is precious, and given voluntarily. The time it would have taken for Andi to do that research could have been spent catching up on one of those 6 SGs.

I checked the history to see how well both candidates' claims were backed up, and I've formed my opinion of each.

Here is my next question.

If you lose the election, what will you do?

*Chews on sugar coating carefully removed from this post* :P

And you wonder why people aren't active when the supposed 'Welcome Coordinator' behaves like this. Friggin' awesome. Makes me want to stay [/end sarcasm]

Now see this is where I point out that this is technically my thread for MY questions of the candidates. See the names where it says "Question for Andi & Misterbiz"? That means it's for them to answer. And I don't see anywhere in here where I opened it up for OTHER people to post their questions to the Mayoral Candidates. So without further ado, I request everyone whose names are NOT Andi or Misterbiz to no longer post in this thread as my curiosity is none of your business.

Being a citizen of IF, I have every right to ask whatever question I want. Whether or not I get an answer, that's up to them.

Anyone who doesn't like my questions or doesn't like my request to get the hell out of my thread and grow a pair of balls to start your own can STFU.

Thanks,

~Lil~

*Edits to add: Please note that I removed the sugar coating from my post and still managed to not resort to name-calling. Thanks again!
sagittaeri

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject:  

Eeep, scary Lilith has emerged. :shock:

Anyway, I apologise for starting the trend of thread-jacking! I recommend we all start our own question threads in the forum before she brings the apocalypse down on us!
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject:  

I'm sorry if you took offense, Lil, because none was intended at you personally, or at anyone personally. The point I was making was about the use of the Mayor's time, plus the aggressive wording attacking both the question and the response was deliberately chosen for a good reason.

Andolyn's reply to it was calm and considerate. It was a firm but fair response giving reasons behind her decision, and that impressed me.

Sagit, you shouldn't need to apologise, there was no announcement at the top of this thread preventing us from posting. Most of the time the election Q&A are kept to one thread unless they are on a specific topic that needs a seperate discussion.

I would suggest that if Lil feels strongly enough about others posting here she could ask Key or Vikas to split out all the Q&A from everyone else into its own seperate topic, although it might not be so fair on Biz who is answering all his questions via a phone for the next week.

Now, there was one question I raised in my last post that has probably been forgotten in all the fracas - I hope Andolyn and Biz get the chance to answer it.

Cheers
CF

(edits to add: I've not functioned in the capacity of Welcome coordinator for well over 9 months - the job quickly became obsolete. So if someone gets the chance to remove that from my profile I'd be most happy! Thanks...)
Lilith

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject:  

CF, name-calling is a deliberate personal attack. No matter what why you spin your BS 'reasoning' for it, it's still deliberate. So yes, it is offensive and personal and I would appreciate it if you would take your comments in particular to another thread. Vikas is not around, nor is Key normally, so I have to ask you to step out myself.

As for not acting in accordance with your position, you might want to take the hint as to why it was left in your profile. People expected better from you. As did I, since just last night I stood up for you.
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject:  

Oh, I am around all right. Have just been carefully avoiding posting in this thread due to reasons further validated by a previous post.

Anyway, Crunchy, I've changed your rank. Thank you :)

While Im at posting here, can we please make sure the thread stays relevant to the title and cut the BS arguements. Its obvious you both have a problem but it would better if it was resolved somewhere else.
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject:  

In light of Lil's request and the uprising surrounding it, i'd like to also suggest each person posts questions in a thread of their own. Key made an entire forum for the election, after all. Being that I, too, have been posting from my phone for the last couple of days, I don't think my fellow candidate will have objections to this. Crunchy, I've not forgotten your question, so if you'd like, go ahead and start a. Thread of your own. I'd suggest anyone else with questions should do the same. Also, the name-calling and other such mud slinging needs to stop regardless of reasoning. This is an election for our city's future,let's keep it focused. You all ask questions and Biz and I will answer. There's no need to discuss each other's questions....besides...the mudslinging is mine & biz's job. ;)

**adding**
also, Vikas, perhaps you could show your presence a bit more often? that might have stopped the feelings that it had to be handled here...knowing the ones involved would have someone to turn to.
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject:  

(Will be my last post on this thread, Sorry Lil)

Yeah, in hindsight it was probably a bad decision to refrain from posting here, but then again, I couldnt forsee this happening.
misterbiz

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject:  

Ok...now that the drama and added stress of this page is gone (thanks for fouling my vacation up even more all of you... *glares*) I will answer a couple of the questions that I have yet to answer to due my break and frankly, being pissed, disappointed and stressed out by you guys and my future in-laws.

First to Crunchy: I'm a mixture of hands-on and hand-s off. Depends on the matter and the situation.

Now to Lilith: I respectfully decline to show you my activity. Mainly, because I already admitted that my reading/commenting needs work. It does. A lot. I am slowly working on that...I already got a list of stuff to read while waiting for the cable guy. Though, I'm not doing this for you. Or because I wanna be mayor. I'm doing it for me. Because I love this site. I have it set as a homepage, for fuck's sake. Anywhere I go, I carry my phone just so I can check in on the site. I lost my internet once and was pissed mainly because I couldn't get on this site.

Do I have to prove all of that to you? Because if you want me to, you do it first. Show me in all the different ways you show love to this site. Just because I'm a bad reader, which I have been since school no longer forced me to read, (even though I do enjoy a good tale), does not mean a damn thing about my dedication to this site or leadership ability. Both of which, the mayor should have. A good mayor is more than just someone who reads/comments a lot. He is more than the epicenter of activity. He is a leader, a peacekeeper, a thinker, and a writer. Should the Mayor put forth an effort to read and comment. Yes. Should he put forth the most to do so? No.

I'm putting forth an effort. I'm trying. But it takes time to break bad habits. So, no, Lilith, I will not be sharing proof of my activity with you tonight.

Storygames Home -> Mayoral Election May 2012
Page 1 of 1