Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

An Observation and Suggestion
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Mayoral Election May 2012
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: An Observation and Suggestion  

*clears my throat* If I may be so bold as to point something out here...There are currently more people in the City than there has been in months. In turn the activity on IF should be rather increased...and yet it's no more so than before, I'm finding.

Plenty of activity in these threads though, strangely enough. Seems a lot of people are happy enough to voice their opinion that IF's activity is very much down, and yet not actually help to make it otherwise. If the amount of people posting in these threads actually posted in a couple of SGs every day as well...Well, I'm sure you can all do the math, can you not?

In short, all of this is extremely hypocritical. You could, rather than putting all of this pressure on the new Mayor/ess, be actually making a difference yourselves right this very moment. It's not down to the Mayor/ess to make the City active. What are you expecting, that he/she will wave a magic wand and Poof! It'll all change? No. The elected candidate can encourage new members to join, come up with ideas to make the City attractive enough for them to wish to stay. But the heart of the matter is that unless the City looks active, it doesn't make any real difference what he/she does in that department.

This post isn't aimed at any single individual, it is aimed pretty much at the entire population of IF as a whole. It's also not been written to spark any debate or arguement or to give offence, just possibly as a kick in the pants for anyone who knows deep down that they fit the bill to deserve one. I'm not even expecting any replies in return, though I'm sure that many of you will read it, or have read part of it already, what with it being in another thread for a good few days now. And I'm hoping that you will listen.

There is no reason whatsoever why most of you, who seem to have the time to post your questions but not much else, shouldn't dedicate, what, 20 minutes of your time to read through even just one SG every day and comment. I'm sure that if you yourself posted up a chapter, you'd be expecting readers wouldn't you? So give where you yourself would like to recieve. I made a list, months ago now, of SGs that are currently active. There is a link to each SG in question, along with the author and how many chapters there are in each, so you can each judge if you want to commit to reading a longer SG or one that's relatively new. It really couldn't be more simple. A click of the mouse away. Here's a link to that very list if it makes it that much more easy again - http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151651#151651

Basically, it comes down to one thing. The thing that's going to make a difference to the activity is YOU. You can either become a well-oiled cog in the inner workings of IF, or be a useless spare part that likes to make a rattle every now and then. The choice is entirely yours.
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject:  

Thank you for this, tika.
Lilith

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject:  

A seconded and immensely grateful thank-you from me as well for being a grown-up and pointing something obvious out, Tikanni. Well done.
misterbiz

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject:  

Amen to that, Tika.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject:  

Well said, Tika. :goodpost:
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: An Observation and Suggestion  

Tikanni Corazon wrote: [color=indigo]

In short, all of this is extremely hypocritical. You could, rather than putting all of this pressure on the new Mayor/ess, be actually making a difference yourselves right this very moment.

Whilst I agree with this in principle, don't forget that reading and suggestion on a sgame takes (usually) more time than adding a few lines to a conversation.

That said, the mayors' job isn't to comment on every sgame, though common thinking seems to be that this is the case. I agree the mayor should be active, but I wouldn't expect them to post everywhere just because they were the mayor.

It's hard to get readers when a site is quiet, but I strongly believe that, if you're serious about writing, that shouldn't stop you posting your stories!
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject:  

Quote: Whilst I agree with this in principle, don't forget that reading and suggestion on a sgame takes (usually) more time than adding a few lines to a conversation.

Regardless of whether it takes more time to read and suggest on an SG, C-Ren, it is still hypocritical to comment on the lack of activity without taking measures to help the situation. If it comes down to the fact that suggesting/commenting take too long to be worth the bother, then what difference does it make to the individual asking whether or not the city is active?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject:  

Having not logged in for 4 days it's great to see that of the 22 threads that were posted to during that time, 17 of them were storygames. And that's the best part of 55 posts.

/random fact :)

Storygames Home -> Mayoral Election May 2012
Page 1 of 1