Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Introduction: Lighting the Way
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Introduction: Lighting the Way  

I relaxed on the plump cushions with few worries. A sudden thirst drove me to pull aside a small curtain and I ordered a pitcher of wine from Luc. As dutiful as ever he dashed off down the trail of wagons that followed my carriage to carry out my wishes.

As I waited for the wine I idly started punching one of the cushion into a more comfortable shape; it’s fragrant filling of herbs and grasses was reluctant to cooperate. Annoyed at the disobedient cushion I traced a small V shape across it, followed by a small twist of my little finger. With a barely audible hum my body suddenly sank deep into the wonderful feather cushions and I closed my eyes.

The slow movement of the horses were smooth enough to have made the journey bearable if not totally comfortable. There had been no need to hurry; the show wasn’t going to start without the star attraction, me!

Luc arrived back, interrupting my self indulgent thoughts.

“Your wine Sir,”

“Thank you boy, come sit with me for a while.” I offered, taking the proffered glass of wine in one well adorned hand.

Even though he’d enjoyed travelling in the carriage before he still looked nervous at the offer. Having no talent for the magic arts himself, he was always half untrusting of being near any great source of it. It was only right that he should be partially anxious at being so close to the Master of Illusion and Light, but a gentle smile soon allayed his fears as he clambered up and tried to make himself comfortable in the nest of cushions.

We chatted easily with each other about the capital and the tournament. It was Luc’s first time and his 'young boy' excitement was infectious. His wide-eyed stare at my stories made me try and remember what it was like the first time for me, eager to feel the same enthusiasm.

“When you win, can I come with you to get the prize?”

I had to laugh, “Why certainly my boy, although there’s no guarantee. I may be the Master of Illusion and Light, but mages from all over Baklaran Kingdom and beyond, are drawn to this tournament and I may be defeated”

Luc’s face was a picture as he screwed it up at the thought of me losing. A sheltered upbringing meant that apart from a few parlour tricks, I was the only person he’d seen doing any real magic. It was an alien thought for him to see me less than totally confident.

“Worry not my lad, I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve and don’t plan on going down easily. If all else fails you’ll be treated to one hell of a show.

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - The Master of Illusion and Light
Page 1 of 1