Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Polling Chp6
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Finite Cosmos - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Polling Chp6  

The group is presented with an optional challenge. Ordoc assures the group that the gifts of the pack will be valuable for them on their journey. Earning the gifts of the pack will prevent conflict in the forests if they cross paths with an unfriendly pack, as well as aid them in other ways. However, bestowal of these gifts comes with a painful price. Chakra is afraid to battle any of the del-Nordes pack. If she asks for an exception, Honros-del-Nordes will be offended and most likely withdraw the offer altogether. Should the group test their skills and accept the pack’s challenge? Perhaps there might be other options for earning the pack’s gifts?

Chp6 Poll: Should the group accept the challenge of Honros-del-Nordes and earn the gifts of the pack?
Decline the challenge and only trade 0
Offer a gift to the pack and see if that is accepted instead of battle 0
Accept the challenge, forcing Chakra to face her fears and develop as a Thinker 4
Request a team contest in the form of a hunt, rather than individual arena battles 2
Smee

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject:  

Another good chapter, the pictures adding to the story like only The Ram has achieved. :o

My first thoughts would be to go for it with the challenge - the rewards sound interesting, plus, despite not shouting for them as loudly as others, I do enjoy fight scenes, especially with magic involved.

However, I'm intrigued by...
Quote: Perhaps there might be other options for earning the pack’s gifts? ...
What other ways could be negotiated. As I understand it we've already sorted out trade, and will be trading what goods we have for what we need. The question is about recieving gifts.

The only option I see apart from accepting the challenge then is to offer a gift in return. I don't know enough of the customs to know if this would be seen as weakness instead.

Maybe you could counter with an offer of one-on-one battle, our strongest against their strongest - see if that is sufficient for their enjoyment?

I'll await what ideas come from others. :)
Muaddib

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject:  

I dont get it. How do ur pics match the storyline? Do u build a story around the pics?
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:  

Muaddib wrote: I dont get it. How do ur pics match the storyline? Do u build a story around the pics?
I write the story with an image in my head, and then search for one that might fit. It's not always easy to find one that fits.
kingcappie

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:  

Quote: The only option I see apart from accepting the challenge then is to offer a gift in return. I don't know enough of the customs to know if this would be seen as weakness instead.
What did the group bring with them, or what could be sent from Diasis, that could be offered as a gift? If a suitable gift could be found, then this might be a viable option.

If not I say go with the battles and make Chakra pull her own weight. She might get a black eye but I doubt they intend to kill her.
Random

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject:  

Another great chapter Ethereal!

Chakra is a thinker. While I can understand her tentative nature about entering battle, I think it is time her calling either began to take some shape or it is time to retag Chakra as something else. I love your story but I feel your character is not really growing. I know this is probably in the works but I feel like there are some loose ends that just got left behind.

I would say Chakra needs to rely on her calling and "power" as a thinker, whether they fight or she finds another way.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:  

random wrote: ...I think it is time her calling either began to take some shape or it is time to retag Chakra as something else. I love your story but I feel your character is not really growing. I know this is probably in the works but I feel like there are some loose ends that just got left behind.

There aren't any loose ends. Chakra's development continues just as the journey continues. I tried to write more action into this chapter, which did sort of leave out Chakra's personal drama. It will all tie in as the story continues.

At this point it seems like Chakra has went from being indecisive, to having a great responsibility foisted upon her, then to feel like she's out of control again and that life is happening despite of and without her. But since she is the main character, all roads eventually lead to her anyway.

Thanks for your input.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:  

Okay, so far the options as stated in the story are: accept the challenge
decline the challenge
risk offending the pack and ask for an exception for Chakra.

Readers have also suggested: offer a one-on-one battle (this might fall under the garnering exceptions for the other members, and be considered offensive)
offer a gift to the pack in return for the gifts and see if that is accepted
accept the battle and have Chakra call upon her skills as a Thinker and figure out a solution to her fear or find her hidden skills in battle
have Chakra call upon her skills as a Thinker and figure out an alternative way to earn the gifts

Any more suggestions before I put up a poll?
Mordok

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject:  

Don't pay the ransom, I've escaped.

Does the contest have to be combat oriented? And if it does, does it have to be on even ground?

We could have Chakra tell the del-Nordes that since they are on home turf, that they have to hunt our crew allowing us a head start of some kind. This could give us a chance to set traps and such.

Just an idea.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:  

Mordok wrote: Don't pay the ransom, I've escaped.
Everybody run, it's loose again! Aaack!
Mordok wrote: Does the contest have to be combat oriented? And if it does, does it have to be on even ground?

We could have Chakra tell the del-Nordes that since they are on home turf, that they have to hunt our crew allowing us a head start of some kind. This could give us a chance to set traps and such.

Just an idea.
The contest will be combat oriented (hence the term sporting battle) but the idea of a hunt sounds intriguing. Would Chakra hide, or attempt to outsmart her seeker? Good idea.
As far as the even ground, the Diasinians use magic, some of them like the male characters also use brute strength. The Mainlanders rely on brute strength and skill with weapons. Sounds pretty even to me if you get them in an arena. Or did I miss the point of what you were asking?
Random

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:  

ethereal_fauna wrote: There aren't any loose ends. Chakra's development continues just as the journey continues. I tried to write more action into this chapter, which did sort of leave out Chakra's personal drama. It will all tie in as the story continues.

Not very good at explaining myself there ethereal, the main point was that I really like your story. The feeling of loose ends was not your fault but mine as I simply felt as if I have missed something. I probably have. Not a criticism towards your story at all.

ethereal_fauna wrote: At this point it seems like Chakra has went from being indecisive, to having a great responsibility foisted upon her, then to feel like she's out of control again and that life is happening despite of and without her. But since she is the main character, all roads eventually lead to her anyway.

Again my bad explanation. I do not feel Chakra has grown much nor did I expect her to. I enjoy the fact that you are taking your time and not rushing us into things. This is a great leisurely paced story. One that I would buy and read repeatedly. I fully understand the problems facing Chakra and the techniques you are using to describe her growing process.

ethereal_fauna wrote: Thanks for your input.

I'll try to be more clear in the future about what I'm saying. Or I'll just shut up and enjoy the story. :)
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject:  

Oh I didn't think you were criticizing! I thought you were simply making observations and comments and I was trying to address them.

I didn't mean to sound defensive. Please, post away, I like the readers' comments. (Even D-Lotus' 8) )
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:  

Polling has started for chapter 6. Will the group accept the challenge and earn the gifts of the pack? Or will they convince Honros-del-Nordes of alternative options in order to secure the gifts?

Cast your vote!
Mordok

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:  

At first, I wanted Chakra to suggest a hunt in order for our team to be able to set a trap, or use a stealth like thinkers ploy.

Now I want to see what she does in a singles match. Since she doesn't seem able to make her own decision, she needs something to push her in a direction.

So, I voted that way.
Smee

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks Mordok, you saved me having to post my reasons for voting. :wink:
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject:  

Mordok wrote: Now I want to see what she does in a singles match.
Well even if the voting went another way, I could still arrange a singles match...I might just do that outside the arena regardless....

Ahhh, the muse has struck.
Smee

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:  

*looks around*

ooooh, spacious. I like what you've done with the place. :wink:

Well won Fauna. :D
Reiso

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject:  

Indeed, congratulations on your victory!

Having only recently found the time to read it all, I have finally caught up with this excellent story, so now I can vote! I agree with those before me, and voted for accepting the challenge.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject:  

Thank you, thank you. I want to thank all the little people who helped make this possible. And all the big people too. I love you all.....
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:  

Hey, congrats on the story game of the month award.
saxon215

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject:  

lol welcome to the author starus fauna lovely to have you onboard
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject:  

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the votes and I appreciate the congrats!

Storygames Home -> Finite Cosmos - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1