Free online storygaming

Chapter 1: Arrival
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordok

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Chapter 1: Arrival  

Chp1:

Jakeen was still several miles from Vlusos when he saw the first firework light up the night sky. His weary spirit brightened as he thought of arriving during a celebration. When he had started his journey, his head was swimming with possibilities and thoughts of adventure, but after many weeks of travel, fear and doubt had pervaded his mind.

Where would he sleep? How would he find work? These thoughts eroded as he quickened his pace, succumbing to the magnetic pull of the capital city. He thoughtlessly played a song of haste as he hurried toward the pyrotechnics that marked his destination.

The fireworks had long faded by the time he walked through the city gates, but not the feeling of festivity. Throngs of people crowded every corner of the city, buying from vendors and applauding performers. Brightly attired soldiers wearing the insignia of the Lyceum watched all with solemn faces. Everywhere he turned, Jakeen heard talk of the upcoming tournament and of the spectacular arrival of one of its contestants.

Many scents assaulted him as he wandered the streets, but it was the smell of the different foods that most excited him. Having eaten nothing but stale bread and dried fish for several weeks, his mouth watered at the promise of savory fare.

The smell of cooking meat led him to a stall that offered grilled sausage on a stick, and he quickly ordered one with a lemon water to wash it down. His shock at the five silver price was superseded by his hunger for the delicious looking morsel, so he paid the lanky vendor and gobbled his first warm meal in weeks in two large mouthfuls. He was still quenching his thirst on the lemon drink when his situation suddenly occurred to him.

He had just spent half the money his father had given him on little more than a snack. In his village, ten silvers would lodge and feed a man for a full week, but here in the capital city at tournament time it would hardly feed a man for a day. What hope did he have of finding a place to stay with a mere five silvers to his name?

It had been his hope that someone from the Lyceum would recognize his talents and agree to mentor him, but arriving as he did at tournament time his chances of attracting the Lyceum seemed small. He could enter the competition, but what hopes did he have of defeating a mage that could make him appear fifty feet tall.

Night was fully upon Jakeen when his exhaustion became evident. Wandering aimlessly he finally came upon a stable that was teeming with mounts of all sizes and species. Dozens of carts and carriages were scattered in the large yard behind the stable and he easily found a comfortable coach to crawl into and rest.

As he slowly drifted toward sleep, his mind ran over his options. He was strong from his years working the fields so he could look for work that required physical labor. He could try to play his lyre on the streets in hopes of receiving donations from people in festive moods, or he could try to find a steady job playing in one of Vlusos many taverns or inns.

He fell asleep without having made a decision.

So now it’s time for Team Jakeen to decide what the best course would be. Should our hero try to find legitimate work or go the way of the musician? Is there another way to find shelter and coin in this environment? Lets get those creative minds to work and come up with a strategy that will set Jakeen on his way to beating the goofy looking pants off of Gorin and Yahoo.

How should Jakeen make a living?
Try to make a living being a street performer [ 0 ]
Try to make a living doing manual labor [ 0 ]
Try to make a living being a tavern performer [ 6 ]
Take up a life of crime [ 0 ]
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chapter 1: Arrival  

Mordok wrote: The smell of cooking meat lead him to a stall that offered grilled sausage on a stick, and he quickly ordered one with a lemon water to wash it down. His shock at the five silver price was superseded by his hunger for the delicious looking morsel, so he paid the lanky vendor and gobbled his fist warm meal in weeks in two large mouthfuls. He was still quenching his thirst on the lemon drink when his situation suddenly occurred to him.

I found an error. The word isn't exactly misspelled, but is definately either a typo with a letter missing, or a tragic and appalling hunger forcing our hero to consume his own flesh.

As for what to do: While he's certainly a talented musician, I think audiences should first notice him while sitting in a stadium seat, not when they're walking by feeling compassion for a street musician, or sitting on a stool in some tavern.

Find someone that needs a strong, young man to help about their home or business, and labor for room and board.
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject:  

Well, well, well. Our Jarkeen finally made it to the big city! :D I think it would be best if Jarkeen could subtely use his magic to his advantage.

He could possibly get a job playing in an inn or somewhere, free lodgings could come with the job, or he could sleep in the basment or something. While he plays, he plays the most beautiful and touching songs (Magical too!) THat move the hearts and souls of all those who listen, after hearing such beauty, and magic, they decide to share their money and decide material possesions are worthless, and donate to the poor musician chappie who allowed them to listen such emotional music.

How's that for an Idea? :wink:
Mother Goose

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject:  

Yes, I think making a living with his music would not only be more enjoyable for Jakeen, but would bring in more than strictly physical labor. If he's digging ditches 12 hours a day, he won't have much time or energy to look for someone to instruct him in honing his magic. A job at a tavern would be good, probably including, as cow says, some kind of place to sleep and some food. I don't see any particular reason to keep his talent secret - at least his musical talent.

As for typos, I think you meant "teeming" instead of "teaming".
Mother Goose

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:  

I forgot to mention, a tavern is the best place to hear all the news first!
Mordok

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject:  

I knew this team was going to be great. :D

Thanks for catching my errors and for the thoughts on our next action. I have fixed the mentioned spelling mistakes and will post a poll in a few days.

Things have been hectic around here lately, but I am going to commit more time to this storygame so future chapters should be better than this one.

Thanks again.
Hearken

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject:  

Is it too late for me to post now? Sorry, I've been so busy lately with school and stuff I haven't gotten around to reading it.

Anyway. Good news, I didn't find any errors. Of course, I wasn't really looking.

What to do? Well, I really didn't have a strong opinion on what to do. I was equally okay with all the possible sources of work you proposed. I suppose that if I had to choose, I would go with him earning a living in a tavern or inn. That way, he would have a chance to meet many different people and make friendships with unique characters that could possibly help him on his journey.
Mordok

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:  

It's never to late for a member of the A-Team to post. :D

I will put up the poll. I am always open to new options so if anyone has any, fire away. I can always change the poll if a good idea comes along.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:  

I went with the tavern idea. A lot of good arguments were made in favor of his working at a tavern.
Hearken

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:  

I also picked the tavern idea. No use changing my original opinion now, right? 8)
Mother Goose

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:  

Looks like a fast, one-sided poll!
Suneila

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:  

I went with the tavern too. He can probably make more money at the tavern, than as a street performer.

Second paragraph: Quote: Were would he sleep?
Should be "Where would he sleep?"

- Sunny
Random

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:  

I agreed with the tavern option. Taverns are the greatest place for a new face to learn of customs, make friends, earn some coin, and get a hot meal. If he's lucky he can land a gig in one of the posher taverns that some of the teachers will visit, and recognize his many talents.

Although the life of crime was rather tempting. And if "streak through Gorin and Yahoo's threads" had been on there, the vote would not be so lopsided. :)
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:  

How about playing at a "clothing optional" tavern? Perhaps that could be the launching board for the suggested streaking episode.... :P
Random

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:  

I don't normally take a whole post for this but ethereal deserved it.

ROFL!!!! :lol:
Mordok

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:  

Thank you for the error catch Sunny. I have fixed the defect.

If someone would have suggested streaking, I would have gladly entered it as an option. Musicians are known to do that on occasion. :D
Mordok

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:  

Sorry for the delay, but the next chapter is 3/4's done. Expect it no later than friday as it is high on my priority list.

This stupid life thing is really getting in the way of my fun.

Once again, thanks for your patience and support.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:  

I look forward to its completion. Relax, take a deep breath, RL will fade away and allow time for all the important things that truly matter (like fun.) :) You'll see.
Cowofdoom666

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject:  

Errr.... I wonder which choice will win?

Storygames Home -> Battle to the End - Spellsinger
Page 1 of 1