Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Fading Immortality
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterbiz

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Fading Immortality  

Biz Bit: As The City is experiencing new life, The Master of Darkness and The Sunshine Princess have decided to revive and reboot our collaboration. As usual, we start with a prologue and no dp to help introduce one of the protagonists. The dynamic duo of light and dark is back in the house. So please...enjoy.

A wolf bayed at the moon on a hillside near the manor in which Declan sat, scouring through an old book that he read many times before. He had glanced upon the dusty pages enough times that he could recite the entire thing from memory in six different languages and twelve different dialects. On a couple of occasions, he had been required to recite it backwards. And he had. Yet, even with this vast knowledge of the tome, he found his eyes focused intently on the pages.

The wolf let out another loud, extended howl as a pair of hands slithered up Declan’s back and over his shoulders. The sudden touch caused Declan to jump slightly. Glancing quickly over his shoulders, he caught sight of who had snuck up upon him and a small chuckle arose from his lips.

“Don’t you know not to sneak up on a man when he’s reading?” Declan asked, a soft smile crossing his lips.

“I most certainly do,” the young woman behind him said, taking the time to brush a strand of Declan’s oily black hair out of his face. “But I also know that you have had your nose stuck to those pages for hours. Why don’t you put that silly book up and come to bed with me?”

He grabbed her hand gently, a soft sigh pressing its way past his thin lips. Leaning his head down, he nuzzled against her. The smell of her flesh wafted into his nostrils. The scent of wildflowers hung in the air around her. A smell that had always sent pleasurable shivers down his spine.

“You know I would love to, Kyrene” he said. “But, alas, I must make sure that I have the right passage. There is a client in the village who has requested my services. Apparently, they are in dire need of my help.”

“Leave them for now, my darling,” she cooed in his ear. “They can surely wait until the morning. For it is I who am need of you services at the moment.”

Declan’s smile doubled in length as he rose from his chair. He turned and pushed the chair out of the way with a single hand before stepping forward and wrapping his arms firmly around her waist.

“Really, now?” he said. The smile on his face took on a sly and devilish quality. For a handful of moments, all he did was stare down into the icy blue pools that were her eyes. Set within flesh that was as pale as a spring cloud, her eyes seemed to take on an unnatural quality. The color seemed to be too perfect to be real. Sometimes he thought the same thing about her entirety.

Leaning down, their lips met softly. Her arms slid around him once more. They kissed again and he straightened up, allowing Kyrene the space needed to place her head upon his chest. She gave him a loving squeeze and kept it applied.

“You have been ignoring me, of late,” she told him.

He nodded. “Such is the nature of my work. Late nights, early mornings, the occasional midday. Its seems like everyone and their mother is in need of my talents these days.”

“Bah, to hell with them,” she said, “you need a break from all of this. The village, the people, everything. You’ve been working too hard.”

Declan thought for a moment. She was right. Then again, he had come to realize that she usually was in such matters. He did need to take it easy. He had barely had time to rest in the last several weeks. There was no time to be spent with Kyrene at home or on strolls through the forest. A small thought started to burrow through his brain, making its way from deep down all the way to his mouth where it made its presence known.

“We should get away for a bit,” he said softly.

“What?”

He gently pushed her back a bit and made eye contact with her once again. For a brief second, the blue made him forget his words but he quickly found them once again.

“Lake Destiny. After I finish my duties tomorrow, you and I will pack a bedroll and a tent and ride up to Lake Destiny. There, it will be just you, me, and the water. No caravans, no villagers, just us.”

An ecstatic smile appeared on her face and she jumped for joy. As she landed, she reached up without warning and grabbed Declan by the cheeks. She pulled his head down and kissed him deeply.

“Thank you, Declan. We haven’t been to the lake in ages.”

He gave her a small nod. “Yes, now why don’t you go prepare yourself for bed. I will quickly find the passage and be there shortly.”

She nodded, and kissed him once more, before hesitantly walking away, and climbing the set of stairs to their bedchambers. He watched her leave, and smiled, as he replaced his chair, sat back down and took up his book once again. He flicked through, recovered his page, and continued onward. After fervently studying several pages, he eventually found the proper one, and looked over the contents. When he was done, he closed it, and rose from the chair, book in hand.

He set off across the room cautiously. His eyes and ears were at full alert. Something about finishing a night off with this book always set him on edge. He knew, somewhat, that it was foolish. No one would disturb him in his manor. No one ever had before and he was sure that everyone knew better than to try and enter without his say so or even come by at night at all. Yet, the importance of privacy of these matters always overruled such thoughts. Keeping his work secret was crucial. The slightest misstep could cause the greatest disaster.

Entering the foyer, Declan gave a thorough examination of his surroundings before kneeling and pulling up a pair of floorboards. He placed the book under them and stared at it for about half a minute before replacing the floorboards and rising to his feet. Outside he could hear the wolf let out another solitary howl. A trickle of unease formed at the back of his mind.

Something about the wolf’s call made him nervous. It didn’t sound like the usual call to the moon or faraway mate. To his ears, it resembled more of a warning. A signal to him that everything was not well, no matter how much he believed it to be so. Shaking his head at his own foolishness, he walked back to his desk and extinguished the candle by which he had been reading.

The full moon that shone outside and flooded in through the windows, provided him enough light to move back across the room to the foyer and up the stairs without much difficulty. At the top of the stairs, he started to slip from his clothes on the way to his bedchamber. By the time he had reached the room, he was no longer clothed in anything but a soft smile, directed at the beautiful woman who lay in his bed, bathed in the glow of a midnight moon. Her raven hair shone bright and her snowy flesh seemed to glow. She must have heard his footsteps as he approached, for she rolled to face him.

“Find what you need?” she asked, her voice sounding low and tired.

“I always do. She’s laying in my bed, naked and under a sheet.”

She let out a small giggle that seemed to reverberate against the wooden walls. She pushed herself up a bit so that she was resting upon an elbow and beckoned for him to join her. Without a second’s delay, he moved toward the bed. She slid over and held the sheet back for him to enter. Moving into bed, he crawled on top of her and kissed her deeply as he wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace.

As the kiss broke, his lips moved down her jaw, planting soft kisses upon it as they traveled. As his lips reached her neck and began to deliver a multitude of kisses of varying intensities and lengths, he heard the wolf again.

He listened as the wolf started to let out another howl. The noise was unfinished. As the sound reached its apex, it stopped. Fear once again flowed into Declan’s mind as he continued to kiss his wife’s neck. The sudden stop was strange. He thought back to mere moments ago when he contemplated that the wolf was sending out a message of disaster. Maybe it was right.

He shook the thought as he kissed back up Kyrene’s jaw and met her lips once again in a passionate manner. It was probably just a hunter or a larger carnivore. All thoughts of the wolf soon slipped away as he and his wife proceeded to make love and Declan reassured himself that all was and would forever continue to be well.
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:  

=D
Sasuke

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:  

Wolves, lakes and creepy old books. I think we're off to a good start here. I'm a bit wary of the wolf, in particular. We're dealing with a setting where books can cause trouble and wolves are sending messages, I wouldn't be surprised to find some sort of trap, especially given how sure Declan is of his safety.
Seraphi

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:  

*tries not to squeal and fails* Super awesome beginning you two! I agree with Sasuke on this, something is definitely afoot. (Now is not the time to be canoodling, haha.) I can't wait for the first chapter. Keep up the great work! :D
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:  

I'll be honest, it sucked me in right away until I was leaning so close to the screen you'd think I needed a stronger prescription. It definitely leaves me wondering what happened to the wolf, and I found myself frustrated that he didn't try to investigate, certain that he was heading to his doom. I like the descriptions, they're very acute without getting overly flowery. I'm not sure if both of you or just one of you worked on this, the flow is so perfectly smooth. I can't wait to see where this goes!
themightyzan

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:  

I love the descriptions in this, and I'm definitely curious about the wolf too.

Can't wait for more!
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:  

Very nicely done guys, very smooth too. :) I'm curious to know what the danger is
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:  

C'mon now guys, you can't tease us like this and leave us with radio silence. ^^ Still looking forward to more if you're still working on it!
kkdestiny

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject:  

*nudge nudge* :3
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject:  

I know the new life has faded a bit, but lets not let this get swallowed by it! I hope to see more of this gloriousness soon!

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy
Page 1 of 1