Free online storygaming

Ex Nihilo
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Scifi and Experimental
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Ex Nihilo  

I am nothing. There is nothing.

The nothingness lingers like an uninvited guest. The only thing I fear is the nothingness---the great void. That which is not, nor ever will be. From nothing we are formed, and to nothing we are scattered. The paradox of being lingers ever in my thoughts.

I noticed it when I dropped a dime and it rolled behind the stove. I tried with my fingers but I couldn't grab it.I moved the stove, but still no dime. There was a small hole for the gas line and there I saw it. Not the dime, never mind the dime! I had to see more.

The hardware store. Down the street. Melville road. Asked an employee where the sledge hammers. He directly me presently. I paid and took the bus. Rested the hammer on my shoulder.

I hit the wall with repeatedly and with every swing more was revealed. From the nothingness more was revealed. The hole grew larger and larger. From a baby's fist to half the wall, and still I swung. My face was plastered with white dust and blisters formed on my fingers.

I needed more space so I took care of the cabinets and counters. Day turned to night, but I didn't bother to turn on a light. At last, I was done. My miracle revealed.

---

This is my first attempt at storygaming in a long time. The way I see it, the dude's nuts and he is having a nervous breakdown or something, but I'm open to other ideas. So what is behind the wall? Literal nothingness, some sort of cosmic anomaly? A black hole? Just the inside of the wall, the dude is nuts? Any other ideas?
Chinaren

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject:  

Excellent!

I have to say that I read this as not in his head, spesh as it's in the scifi area. Still.

Anyhoo, it has to be a portal doesn't it? But to where? Or When?

I'm going to say... to the past. Specifically a critical moment in HIS past. Oh yes.

~waits for more~
Lebrenth

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Smashy smashy  

Something is causing him to lose it, and though he's the first, he's not the last. The random desire to destroy things is observed all over the place. It lasts a day or two and the ones that are affected have no idea why.
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

This is a really interesting start and to be honest I'm intrigued with the idea that he's just nuts. The idea that some alternate reality lies beyond his handiwork definitely would seem to fit better with the forum upon first thoughts, but the guy being insane would take the story in such a different direction ...

I honestly can't pick, I'll have to say both:
The guy is totally off his rocker.
An alternate reality lies beyond the hole in the wall, seemingly a mirror of what exists in his own time, but all is not as it seems.

Looking forward to more! x
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:  

The poll is up.
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:  

Voting and... coming equal first. :cool:
HalfEmptyHero

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:  

It seems it ended in a tie, so I'll try to incorporate both.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:  

~waits~
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:  

Really sorry, but I can't seem to be able to vote for some reason...

Otherwise I would have broken the tie. x
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject:  

Bump.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
Emperor

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:  

Too late to vote, but never too late to comment...right?

As with what everyone else has said to this point, I like the tone of this start of this. The phrasing and cadence of the structure really lend to the the fractured character or the frenetic situation he seems to be stuck in.
A great example of this is...
Quote: There was a small hole for the gas line and there I saw it. Not the dime, never mind the dime! I had to see more.

I also liked the phrasing here

Quote: The nothingness lingers like an uninvited guest.

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Scifi and Experimental
Page 1 of 1